Friday, November 1, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2002
      HIGHLIGHTS#1245 - November 1, 2002 - Edited by Gloria
      The state of mind that most needs enlightenment is the one that sees
      human beings as NEEDING to be guided or enlightened.
      --Thaddeus Golas, ch.6 and 10

      from: "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind," by Shunryu Suzuki
      According to traditional buddhist understanding, our human nature is
      without ego. When we have no idea of ego, we have Buddha's view of
      life. Our egoistic ideas are delusion, covering our buddha nature. We are
      always creating and following them, and in repeating this process over and
      over again, our life becomes completely occupied by ego- centered ideas.
      This is called karmic life, or karma. The Buddhist life should not be karmic
      life. The purpose of our practice is to cut off the karmic spinning mind. If
      you are trying to attain enlightenment, that is a part of karma, you are
      creating and being driven by karma, and you are wasting your time on
      your black cushion. According to Bodhidharma's understanding, practice
      based on any gaining idea is just a repetition of your karma. Forgetting this
      point, many later Zen masters have emphasized some stage to be attained
      by practice.
      Joko Beck tells a story about a man who was waiting for the enlightenment
      train.  While he was waiting he busied himself taking care of others who were
      waiting and so he forgot that he was waiting...until he no longer cared about
      his own enlightenment.

             No authority have I,
             not even so much as a biscuit
             on a hungry day,
             as such seeking
             only creates misery.
             Therefore place no weight
             on these joyous lamentations.
             Still, if one must journey,
             the destination of
             serving with kindness,
             ever at hand,
             has stood the test
             of time.

              ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `
              Through allowing the "isness" of all things,
              a deeper dimension reveals itself to you as an
              abiding presence, an unchanging deep stillness,
              an uncaused joy beyond good and bad.  This is
              the joy of Being, the peace of God.
                                  - Eckhart Tolle

              ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `
      "The Power of Now"
      Eckhart Tolle
      New World Library, 1999
      Is the abode of God anywhere but in the earth, the sea, and sky, and air, and virtue?
      Why do we seek the heavenly ones beyond?
      Whatever you see, and whatever you touch, that is God.

      "Loving-Kindness-maitri-toward ourselves doesn't mean getting rid of
      anything.  Maitri means that we can still be crazy after all these years.
      We can still be angry after all these years.  We can still be timid or
      jealous or full of feelings of unworthiness.  The point is not to try to
      change ourselves.  Meditation practice isn't about trying to throw ourselves
      away and become something better.  Its about befriending who we are
      already.  The ground of practice is you or me or whoever we are right now,
      just as we are.  That's the ground, that's what we study, that¹s what we
      come to know with tremendous curiosity and interest.
      ~Pema Chodron
      From the book, "The Wisdom of No Escape," published by Shambala Press.
      Gems from Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj's Conversations
      "Truth is simple and open to all. Why do you complicate? Truth is loving
      and lovable. It includes all, accepts all, purifies all. It is untruth that is
      difficult and a source of trouble. It always wants, expects, demands. Being
      false, it is empty, always in search of confirmation and reassurance. It is
      afraid of and avoids enquiry. It identifies itself with any support, however
      weak and momentary. Whatever it gets, it loses and asks for more.
      Therefore put no faith in the conscious. Nothing you can see, feel, or think
      is so. Even sin and virtue, merit and demerit are not what they appear.
      Usually the bad and the good are matter of convention and custom and are
      shunned or welcomed, according to how the words are used."
      "To start from the self and try to understand all things is delusion.

      To let the self be awakened by all things is enlightenment."

      -- Dogen

      AL LARUS

      Seing people carrying loads of crutches.
      In my mind, having the best pair was an achievement.
      Do you think I smiled when my teacher said:
      Give up all of this, what you need is nothing.

      Preconceived bamboos would block one’s view;
      Clear mind would mirror all phenomena exactly.
      Self-righteous approach could not reach Buddha;
      Empty-minded to receive what naturally there is.

      Yutang Lin

      I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up
      where I intended to be.
      Douglas Adams

      "The way is perfect like vast space
      where nothing is lacking and nothing is in excess"

      "The true nature of things is continuously manifesting. When a dog barks or
      pees on the ground that dog's nature is in realization.....All things are
      always manifesting their true nature. We never look out at a tree and say
      "that tree is imperfect, that tree is not manifesting its true nature. We
      only look at ourselves and other human beings and say, "we are not
      manifesting our true nature."

      Genpo Dennis Merzel.   "The Eye Never Sleeps"