Tuesday, October 29, 2002

  • Michael Read
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2002
      NonDual Highlights
      Tuesday, October 29 2002
      issue #1242
      editor: michael

      Today's theme is - You are that.

      As the rivers flowing east and west
      Merge in the sea and become one with it,
      Forgetting they were ever separate streams,
      So do all creatures lose their separateness
      When they merge at last into pure Being.
      There is nothing that does not come from him.
      Of everything he is the inmost Self.
      He is the truth; he is the Self supreme.
      You are that, Shvetaketu; you are that!

      http://www.lightjourneys.org/lesson7.html

      There is nowhere you need go to be spiritual. Be the things you wish. Be the work. Express your true nature in all that you do. You don't have to go anywhere to be spiritual. You are that. Right now, in this moment recognize the core of your essence. It looks just like the spirit that lives in all things.

      In TheWayStation "Kheyala" wrote:

      10/22/02    "Bo's Birthday"

      Today was Bodhi's birthday.  Ananda decided it would be a good idea
      to celebrate it with presents for herself and also a cake and some
      hats.  Jim and I agreed that having a party would be lots of fun and
      we suggested ideas that would be pleasing to a happy little dog.
      Ananda, however, continued to steer the brainstorming into ideas that
      would be pleasing to a happy little girl instead.

      What we ended up doing, just for kicks, was going to the corner store
      together and buying ingredients to make a cake and we shaped it to
      look just like a big bone.  We all pitched in to its creation with
      enthusiasm but when we were in the final stretch we ran into a little
      roadblock:  Ananda wanted to put four candles on the cake, one for
      each of her years, instead of seven, for Bodhi's.

      Jim and I tried as best we could to teach Ananda about the matter at
      hand, but you know what?  The cake smelled so good and anyway, who
      really cared about all that?  The birthday boy sure didn't, and we
      all agreed that seven candles would be more fun to blow out than
      four.  I can safely say that after we dropped the lesson, each of us,
      including Bo, equally enjoyed our portions of the bone.

      In NonDualitySalon Gloria Lee wrote:

      (well she didn't write all this but these words are appreciated nonetheless - editor)

      Dualistic thinking is a sickness.
      Religion is a distortion.
      Materialism is cruel.
      Blind spirituality is unreal.
      Chanting is no more holy than listening to the murmur of a stream,
      counting prayer beads no more sacred than simply breathing,
      religious robes no more spiritual than work clothes.
      If you wish to attain oneness with the Tao, don't get caught up in spiritual superficialities.
      Instead, live a quiet and simple life free from ideas and concepts.
      Find contentment in the practice of undiscriminating virtue, the only true power.
      Giving to others selflessly and anonymously, radiating light throughout the world,
       illuminating your own darkness, your virtue becomes a sanctuary for yourself and all beings.
      This is what is meant by embodying the Tao.

      from the Hua Hu Ching

      http://www.yakrider.com/the_daily_yak.htm

      ========

      " When we in the West speak of "basic facts of existence" we tend
      immediately to conceive these facts as reducible to certain austere and foolproof propositions--logical statements that are guaranteed to have meaning because they are empirically verifiable. These are what Bertrand Russel called "atomic facts." Now for Zen it is inconceivable that the basic facts of existence should be able to be stated in any proposition however
      atomic. For Zen, from the moment fact is transferred to a statement it is falsified. One ceases to grasp the naked reality of experience, and one grasps a form of words instead.... The whole aim of Zen is not to make foolproof statements about experience, but to come to direct grips with reality without the mediation of logical verbalizing. "

                - Thomas Merton, in the introduction to John C.H. Wu's - The Golden Age of Zen

      *******

      Tao Te Ching

      Can you hold fast your crescent soul and not let it wander
      can you make your breath as soft as a baby's
      can you wipe your Dark Mirror free of dust
      can you serve and govern without effort
      can you be the female at Heaven's Gate
      can you light up the world without knowledge
      beget things and keep them
      but beget without possessing
      keep without controlling
      this is Dark Virtue [10]