Monday, October 28, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2002
      #1241 - Monday, October 28, 2002 - Edited by Jerry

      The Inner Shaman.....or "Ain't that a Shaman?"

      I am beginning to think that I am a shaman. All I need to
      set up in  business is a card that says so. Vicki

      After all, shamans are wounded healers. They usally go to
      the edge or  the underworld or someplace weird like that.
      You can read all sorts  of descriptions about them but
      who has really met one? Therefore you  can't be sure that
      I am not one.

      Maybe you are one, too. We could form a Home Shaman
      Network and sell  our services. Let me know if you are
      interested or qualify.

      Of course, if you tell me that you are qualified, I won't
      have the  foggiest notion if you are for real or not. For
      shamans are not  found in words but in wounds. They are
      in conniptions, not  descriptions.

      I have had more than one conniption fit and maybe I know
      something  that I don't know. You see, being mysterious
      is another of those  shamanic qualities that we can all

      The shaman is a wounded healer, which means that he must
      have a little  Dave Barry in him if he is to succeed. If
      you haven't told a good  joke lately, or at least laughed
      at someone else's you probably ain't  no shaman.

      My inner shaman is beginning to come out and quite
      frankly, I was  hoping to keep her at home for just a bit
      longer. Maybe until she got  the hang of muttering
      curative phrases without reading them from a  book.

      But like it or not, my inner shaman is coming to the fore
      (she plays  golf, which really tees me off). Oh, my God,
      she is wearing Liz  Claiborne golf shorts and a belt of
      tiny human skulls. As Austin  Powers would say, "Groovy,

      If you, too, think that you might be a budding shaman,
      call me and  let's voodoo lunch. I hear that they serve
      wounded healers first at  the golf course clubhouse You
      just have to show your Shaman scars and  you're in.

      Brain Zombies

      from Allspirit

      pure, clear original mind

      From 'GUIDE FOR TRAINING' by Shodo Harada Roshi

      Our practice is to offer pure, clear original mind to
      society. In order to  clarify that mind in us, we do

      We let go of our dualistic thoughts and egoistic feelings
      in order to  release their energy for realizing our true
      nature. We don't let go of our  thoughts and feelings
      because they are bad or in order to become better  people
      or to solve all problems. We do it so that, little by
      little, we may  realize that pure, clear mind to offer to
      all people who suffer. That is the  only thing we can
      truly offer others.

      This practice is very mysterious: in shifting the focus
      from trying to solve  one's own problems, in order to
      offer a clear mind to everyone we meet,  little by little
      those very problems fade away.

      from Guru Ratings

      It is only when even this work at undoing falls away that
      the true simplicity manifests itself. --Harvey

      .......hi harvey, I'm not so sure that this work of
      undoing ever  ends. It may change , the focus or
      direction of it may shift, but the  essence of it goes
      on. I know there is a common thought today that  one gets
      to a point where they are free, or clear, or enlightened,
      or  totally accepting of themself and that is the end.
      Then from that  point on you are just happy all the time,
      resting in true  simplicity and there is no longer any
      need to do anything, any kind  of spiritual work. I do
      not subscribe to this theory in the  slightest. In fact I
      would say that it is a this point, the point  where many
      falsely assume they have "got it" where real spiritual
      work begins. The way I see it is that if you say "I got
      it" and then  don't begin to work harder than you did
      before, you didn't get it.  ................matthew

         I have longed to move away
         From the hissing of the spent lie
         And the old terrors' continual cry
         Growing more terrible as the day
         Goes over the hill into the deep sea....

         I have longed to move away but am afraid;
         Some life, yet unspent, might explode
         Out of the old lie burning on the ground,
         And, crackling into the air, leave me half-blind.

      from The Other Syntax

      Seeing is What You've Forgotten

      "Whatever you've forgotten is trapped in those areas of
      your total  being," he said. "To be using those other
      areas is to see."

      "I'm more confused than ever, don Juan," I said.

      "I don't blame you," he said. "Seeing is to lay bare the
      core of  everything, to witness the unknown and to
      glimpse into the  unknowable. As such, it doesn't bring
      one solace. Seers ordinarily  go to pieces on finding out
      that existence is incomprehensibly  complex and that our
      normal awareness maligns it with its  limitations."

      The Glow of Awareness
      Carlos Castaneda

      The Universe Seems So Simple, Until You Have to Explain

      The Old Worthen House, a no-frills tavern still sporting
      what looks like its original 1834 tin ceiling on a street
      as yet ungentrified in the old mill town of Lowell,
      Mass., has seen its share of cosmic theorizing.

      Jack Kerouac, who famously went on the road looking for
      kicks and Truth, used to drink here. His grave nearby is
      a pilgrimage spot for hipsters of all ages still burning,
      as his buddy the poet Allen Ginsberg wrote, "for the
      ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the
      machinery of the night."

      read article here: