Sunday, October 27, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2002

      .

      Moonrise by Ansel Adams

      Highlight #1240 - Sunday, October 27, 2002 - Edited by Gloria

      MACE MEALER
      Illuminata

      Save The Questions For Forever

          On a still night,
             even the braying of an ass,
             startles the moon,
             and for our purposes
             serves as well
             as a birds song.
             In as much
             as one thinks
             they are the same
             they are distinct.
             In as much
             as one thinks
             they are distinct
             they are the same.
             If the name is cut
             from the knife
             does it remain sharp?

      GABRIELE EBERT
      SriRamana

      The only true light there is is pure
      Awareness. Other kinds of knowledge
      Clinging to it and claiming to be
      Real are ego-born conceptual
      Clouds. To trust them is sheer folly.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Muruganar: The Garland of Guru's Sayings,
      V. 421

      GILL EARDLEY
      allspirit

      From:  'Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind'  by Shunryu Suzuki

      "For Zen students the most important thing is not to be dualistic.
      Our 'original mind' includes everything within itself. It is always
      rich and sufficient within itself. You should not lose your self-
      sufficient state of mind. This does not mean a closed mind, but
      actually an empty mind and a ready mind. If your mind is empty,
      it is always ready for anything; it is open to everything. In the
      beginner's mind there are many possibilities; in the expert's mind
      there are few.

      "If you discriminate too much, you limit yourself. If you are too
      demanding or too greedy, your mind is not rich and self-sufficient.
      If we lose our original self-sufficient mind, we will lose all precepts.
      When your mind becomes demanding, when you long for something,
      you will end up violating your own precepts: not to tell lies, not to
      steal, not to kill, not to be immoral, and so forth. If you keep your
      original mind, the precepts will keep themselves.

      "In the beginner's mind there is no thought, 'I have attained something.'
      All self-centered thoughts limit our vast mind. When we have no thought
      of achievement, no thought of self, we are true beginners. Then we can
      really learn something. The beginner's mind is compassionate, it is bound-
      less."

      Wonder Lake by Ansel Adams

      David Bozzi

      Scribbling Chaos

      I scribble chaos
      on the canvas of life
      with finger paint dipped
      into a pool of memories...

      I still wonder what life might be like
      without all the gravity
      of the past...

      I heard the voice
      of my pretend mystic
      tell me that I am the Holy One,
      yet again...

      But going by
      the actions my idol executes,
      I can't believe that farce,
      he might be right,
      but still he's a fraud...

      I scribble wisdom
      on the canvas of sound.

      Those who hear
      think that they are found.

      I've got news for them
      they might not hear...

      My scribbled wisdom
      is a reflection of their fear...

      So in the end
      who is one to believe?

      I could tell you,
      but that would make me
      a liar...

      If you trust in the above
      you'd be just as lost
      as those damned to below...

      In another end
      (there's as many as infinity)
      someone may begin to understand.

      There's still a ton of fools
      who say you are It,

      but all of them have failed to remember
      that if I need to know to begin with
      that's a recipe for disaster.

      I may as well tell you
      that you are exactly
      who you think you are...

      Vicki Woodyard
      HarshaSatsangh

                 Enlightenment has become almost a dirty word with
                 me.  I have strived for it, studied for it, let go of it,
                 clung to it, danced with it and tranced with it.  I
                 have gone the extra mile for it, flashed the smile
                 for it, hoping that someday, somehow it would be
                 given to me as an act of grace.

                 I should know better. I studied with a master
                 teacher, Vernon Howard.  There was no question
                 about his enlightenment.  Every word he said was
                 true and came from the depths of the inner
                 heights.  His energy was phenomenal, pure and
                 transcendant.  I wanted a piece of it.

                 He died of cancer, his secretary befriended me and
                 she died of cancer.  Now my husband has incurable
                 cancer.  Somewhere along the line I have become
                 less excited about my own particular nirvana.

                 During the worst days, my husband was so ill he did
                 not know where he was.  I knew all too well where I
                 was--in hell.  One day when he was in the hospital I
                 came home and sat down at the computer.  All of a
                 sudden my bowels released and I messed in the
                 computer chair.  I cleaned myself up.  The dog had
                 thrown up on my side of the bed near my pillow.  I
                 stepped in dog doody and walked it all over the
                 hospital corridors.  And strangely enough I knew
                 that I was getting a message of love...of the
                 Mother Theresa variety.  I was the unclean person.

                 I also knew during this strange time of trial that
                 everytime I asked for something I would be given
                 an inner message that things would go better if I let
                 things come to me unasked.  I was in a no man's
                 land.  Who cared about enlightenment when there
                 were unmentionable sufferings occurring in my life?
                 Who cared?

                 My husband's ribs had been broken by the
                 undiagnosed cancer and he looked like a skeleton.
                 Since our daughter had died of the disease as a
                 child, I knew what death looked like.  I didn't want it
                 to happen to him.  When he got home from the
                 hospital I slept with a skeleton for months.

                 Now he is in remission but I have much more
                 self-esteem than I did when I was seeking
                 enightenment.  Enlightenment is cellular, unearned
                 and undiscerned.  It is ephemeral, visceral and
                 gut-wrenching.

                 People tell me that I have an aura of peace about
                 me.  I know what they mean, for when I look inside
                 I experience it.  The sad thing is that my ego with
                 the name and form must undergo panic attacks and
                 frequent true sorrow because she can never be
                 enlightened.

                 I am tired of reading all the endless names of
                 people who teach enlightenment.  They have books
                 and tapes and seminars and retreats and
                 introductory trial offers.  I know the same things
                 that they do...more's the pity.

                 If you would like to consult with me about
                 gut-wrenching loneliness contained within a peaceful
                 energy field, be my guest.  I just don't do
                 seminars.

      Vicki Woodyard, http://www.bobwoodyard.com

      Robert O'Hearn
      HarshaSatsangh

      ))) yes, knowledge is a burden --
      the more the heavier --
      so why do we feel the need to
      carry it around as if it were
      a bag of birds struggling to be
      released?

      When the noose is undone,
      something flies out and
      breathes easier.

      Our work is finished.

      The rest is for the birds.

      LoveAlways,

      El Capitan by Ansel Adams

      JAN SULTAN
      NDS

      "What is the secret of your serenity?"

      Said the Master, "Wholehearted cooperation with the inevitable."

      from: One Minute Nonsense
      by: Anthony de Mello
      © Gujarat Sahitya Prakash

      DAN BERKOW
      DirectApproach

          Do you care to explain: "Realization is manifestation"?

      Realization doesn't occur as an event within manifestation.
      An event occurring within manifestation has a beginning and end.
      What was before that beginning and after that end?
      Realization has to include what is before beginning
        and after ending, or it isn't real, merely
        an arising and departing event, a subset
        of reality within conceptuality.

      Thus, realization and manifestation are not-two.

      Manifestation and the unmanifest are not two
        different things, either -- realization
        can't leave out the unmanifest and
        be real.  To take the manifest as having
        an existence of its own, apart from the
        unmanifest, is fragmentation, unreal.

         If the 'I' is there to look, then realization is only a memory...

      There is the conventional knowing, and the aconventional knowing.
      There is language, which pertains to conceptuality and
        convention, and there is transcendence, which is not
        language-based, is aconventional.

      Realization includes conventional knowing and expression,
        but isn't grounded in that view.

      I can use the word I, because we're using language,
        which is convention.

      One who knows aconventionally won't be fooled by words.

      All words involve implied separation and division.

      Realization is not based on memory, but doesn't
        prevent memory from arising.

      -- Dan

      GILL EARDLEY
      allspirit

      This is an excerpt from:
      Letter Eight (August 12, 1904) from Rainer Maria Rilke's
      'Letters to a Young Poet'

      The whole letter can be read at:
      http://www.buddhajones.com/Commentary/SadnessSolitude.html

      But the fear of the inexplicable has not only impoverished the
      reality of the individual; it has also narrowed the relationship
      between one human being and another, which has as it were
      been lifted out of the riverbed of infinite possibilities and set
      down in a fallow place on the bank, where nothing happens.

      For it is not only indolence that causes human relationships to be
      repeated from case to case with such unspeakable monotony and
      boredom; it is timidity before any new, inconceivable experience,
      which we don't think we can deal with.

      But only someone who is ready for everything, who doesn't exclude
      any experience, even the most incomprehensible, will live the
      relationship with another person as something alive and will himself
      sound the depths of his own being.