Saturday, October 26, 2002

  • Christiana Duranczyk
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 2002

      NDH - 10/26/02 - # 1239 - Christiana

      art: "Rubicon" Freida Dean

      Presentnonexistence (cee) Livejournal.com

      ego

      *
      the ego is a phantom with no form of it's own
      *
      like in a dream, there may be dream characters
      but there is no need to put the concept of "me"
      onto any of them
      *
      when the concept or feeling of "me" is added
      to an apparent form it seems to take on a personal reality
      *
      like a hungry ghost
      the ego jumps from form to form
      *
      SAMADHI is taking away the ego's forms
      *
      it's good to do! -cause then it is SO obvious
      that there really is exactly

      NO reality to that pesky little ghost
      in a me-ish costume

      How do I know the Real?
      It's right before my eyes!
      It looks out at itself through
      these sockets and then,
      absent-mindedly, as if
      they were merely momentarily-
      regarded stones,
      lays them aside, somewhere
      along the ridge that runs
      Cold Mountain, now irresistibly
      drawn to a view that has no
      boundary in space, no
      limit of visibility.

      I see what I am.

      Manifest and Unmanifest
      are not different.

      The conflict has ended.

      Swami Launches Blisskrieg, Declares "All Out Peace!"

      Swami Beyondananda, spiritual leader to millions of
      FUNdamentalists (accent on "fun") has launched a
      worldwide "blisskrieg"in a declaration of "all out peace!"

      Speaking from a platform at his new virtual address at
      www.wakeuplaughing.com, the Swami said, "We've been
      holding our peace for far too long. It's time to let it out! Why
      should peacekeepers keep the peace for themselves when
      the world needs it so badly nowadays?"

      The Swami was interrupted numerous times by gleeful
      supporters shouting the peace mantra, "Ah .. peace on it!"
      and waving banners reading "Our World: Love It Or Leave
      It!" "Play For Nonjudgment Day" and "Disarmaggedon Is
      Near!"

      "It's a fight to the life!" Swami told his minions, vowing to
      open the floodgates of love, light and laughter to cleanse the
      body politic of cultural, economic and political toxins that
      have caused folks to "take things poisonally" -- and
      perpetuate war.

      "These are challenging times," said the Swami, "which call
      for Emerge-n-See measures. It is time for us to emerge from
      our fearful and powerless hiding places and see the big
      picture. We have met the Savior and He is Us. I see all these
      Children of God praying for Jesus to intervene, but we
      cannot expect to be fed intervenously forever. Time for
      Children of God to grow up, for Christ's sake, and become
      Adults of God for a change. Playful adults, that is."

      Petros  Petros-Truth@yahoogroups.com

      "It is so much easier to throw oneself into social and political
      activity than to understand life as a whole; to be associated
      with any organized thought, with political or religious activity,
      offers a respectable escape from the pettiness and drudgery
      of everyday life. With a small heart you can talk of big things
      and of the popular leaders; you can hide your shallowness
      with the easy phrases of world affairs; your restless mind can
      happily and with popular encouragement settle down to
      propagate the ideology of a new or of an old religion. . . .
      There is hope only in the integration of the several
      processes of which we are made up. This integration does
      not come into being through any ideology, or through
      following any particular authority, religious or political; it
      comes into being only through extensive and deep
      awareness. This awareness must go into the deeper layers
      of consciousness and not be content with surface

      -- Krishnamurti (from Commentaries on Living I)

      When the mind is at peace,
      the world too is at peace.
      Nothing real, nothing absent.
      Not holding on to reality,
      not getting stuck in the void,
      you are neither holy nor wise, just
      an ordinary fellow who has completed his work.

      - Layman P'ang (c. 740-808)

      "The Enlightened Heart"
      An Anthology of Sacred Poetry
      Edited by Stephen Mitchell
      Harper & Row, New York , 1989

      god knows, everything the number of hairs on your head the
      hidden song of bug farts everything

      can you look at your entire life and accept it? god can and
      does and is accepting it - right now good deeds and bad
      laughter and tears hopes and fears the whole whirly drama
      of it all

      god knows, the news today is full of woe it has been for a
      long long time

      god knows, the world is exceedingly beautiful naturaly,
      easily, gracefully beautiful

      god hmm... what a concept - hooboy! rather a lot of concepts
      exist about this god there are working concepts of god there
      are concepts ready made for any situation there are abstract
      concepts and romantic ones as well

      here's one: god is everywhere another: god is doing it all
      one more: god knows what god is doing

      really? are we sure? if we are, why do we question and seek
      and suffer about the whole thing? do we think that something
      is wrong?

      god is love - comfort concept god is everywhere -
      universality concept god is doing it all - power/energy
      concept

      having a relationship with god rejoining with god doing god's
      will seeking and finding and being god more concepts and
      more and more and more what a dizzying array!

      are you seeking god? do you want to rejoin with the divine
      within you? well, why do you believe you are separate?
      Somebody told you this and you bought into it. besides, you
      feel separate, eh? also, you know that you couldn't possibly
      be good enough because you know too much about
      yourself!

      so you seek and search and study and look for teachers.

      you are what you seek - not your concept of what you seek

      Sandy Carmichael allspirit@...

      From "The Raft is Not the Shore":

      Thich Nhat Hanh: "I spoke at a Buddhist meeting; I
      said, 'In order to save the world, each of us has to
      build a pagoda.'"

      Dan Berrigan: "To build a pagoda?"

      Thich Nhat Hanh: "Yes. To build a pagoda. There
      were people who thought that I was urging them to
      build more pagodas so Buddhism would become a
      national religion. But this pagoda cannot be built by
      stones and sticks and things like that, because this
      pagoda is a sanctuary where you have a chance to
      be alone and face yourself, the reality of yourself. If
      you don't have a pagoda like that to go to each day,
      several times a day, then you cannot protect the
      Eucharist, you cannot protect yourself, and you
      cannot protect the world from destruction."

      Know Mystery (Joyce) HarshaSatsangh@yahoogroups.com
      Subject to change

      all things are subject to change...

      your mind?
      your heart?
      the clocks tonight?

      the past...a memory
      the future...a fantasy
      there is only now.

      beyond motion...
      beyond stillness...
      Absolute Stillness.

      So, tonight we change the clocks back an hour...
      And tomorrow - what time does the sun rise?

      Now.

      Joseph Chilton Pearce

      The Biology of Transcendence: A Blueprint of the Human Spirit

      This sort of unconflicted behavior manifested, it
      seemed, from a split-second recognition, without
      qualification or rationale, that death was a foregone
      conclusion, an integral part of the very event, that
      death was already within me. Death was not a
      possibility to be avoided but a fact to be accepted as
      it was already accomplished - death had already
      happened.

      Having accepted death without hidden qualifications,
      it was clear to me that I could not be threatened by
      the possibility of death or harm. I seemed to stand on
      the cups of being and nonbeing, to walk the line
      between subtle and physical, observing but not fully
      occupying my body. This shift of perception gave
      what the anthropologist Mircea Eliade termed the
      ability to "intervene in the ontological constructs of the
      universe." This was Eliade's scholarly description of
      the nonordinary events brought about by Tibetan
      yogis.

      I found that in any happening, through a kind of willful
      and voluntary throwing away of self-preservation, the
      ordinary course of events could be reversed,
      changed, or modified. This was not one part of my
      mind playing games of "let's pretend" with other
      parts, nor some lofty psychological or spiritual death
      of ego or loss of self. This was a genuine acceptance
      of death as a certain part of that moment, of knowing I
      held my nonbeing within my being. Therefore, there
      was nothing to lose! I found that in this state not only
      did fire not have to burn me, but also gravity did not
      have to hold me in the usual grip and cause did not
      have to produce its usual effect.

      To find that the structure of reality was negotiable
      when I was free of all internal conflict was a
      momentous discovery for me - as was my realization
      that all internal conflict is produced by our fear of
      possible harm or death. The irony of this is that there
      exists for us a state in which harm really can't occur
      within the confines of a particular single event if we
      bypass our block of fear and open to this other
      perspective.

      Not judging the actions of ourselves and others and
      trying to modify behaviors accordingly may seem
      negligent to us, but to the Senoi a persons actions
      were simply the given of a situation, like the direction
      of the wind or the slant of the sunlight. This mindset,
      embodied in Jean Piaget’s description of early
      childhood as "the unquestioned acceptance of the
      given," Eckharts "living without a why," J.
      Krishnamurti’s "choiceless awareness," Jesus’
      "kingdom" of relationship, and Matthew Fox’s original
      blessing, is a state of mind that can open us to higher
      functions of our forebrain while freeing us from
      enslavement to the hindbrain -- a shift that wholly
      changes perception.

      art: Souvenir d''Eté  George Ball

      The Watkins Review Good source for reviews and articles

      Esther Veltheim http://www.parama.com

      PaRama (Esther Veltheim) Online Forum

      Nothing and noone can limit you. That you believe otherwise
      is what sustains the experience of limitation. The secret is to
      discover why you feel the need to fulfill desires - be it the
      desire to know Self or the desire for a new car. The
      experience of lack does not lie outside of you but within. To
      realize this dispels the possibility of blaming anything
      outside of you. Neither can you blame yurself for the
      experience of lack. It is just an experience and one that is
      lacking nothing. It is the belief that you need to be free of the
      experience of lack and limitation that sustains the expeience
      of them.

      The Process of Individuation

      Only when the mind becomes stable and steady enough can
      the perception of duality be seen as that of simultaneously
      occurring pairs of opposites. In that instant, the conditioned
      mind is fully incapacitated because it has no way of
      describing this perception. This is when all thoughts cease,
      and because words are no longer being used to “name” and
      describe the perception, duality/paradox finally reveals It-Self
      for what it Is - non-dual, without relationship or contact of any
      kind whatsoever.  http://www.parama.com/html/individuation.html

      Who Am I?: The Seeker's Guide to Nowhere

      Gradually I began investigating concepts and unraveling
      them. It became increasingly clear that everything is paradox
      and that no concept can exist without its opposite in potential
      within it. I began to realize that thought processes were
      circular in nature and that it was impossible for my mind to
      come up with one single concept that was an absolute unto
      itself.

      One day, embroiled in my investigation of concepts, I
      realized that the use of the interrogative pronoun who in
      asking "Who am I?" necessarily conjured up the idea of an
      object-identity. I saw great value in Ramana's process of
      self-enquiry in that it certainly tripped my thinking processes
      up. But by this time it had become clear to me that all
      familiar terminology held the risk of lulling me into habitual
      thinking processes. This led me to look for another way of
      questioning my identity. It was then that I began asking, "How
      is the experiencing of anything possible?" and "How do I
      know that I am?"

      The where, why, who, and when

      These can be looked at as variations on the same general
      question. The quest for an answer. Reversing this process
      we can say that the answer is in the question, doesn't exist
      outside of the question. This question being always based
      on a story. The question can't exist without a story to back it
      up.
                  ____________

      Apperception

      The idea of apperception comes up a lot, Ramesh uses it a
      lot. No one ever seems to be quite clear about it.

      I'd say perception is consciousness of an object by a
      subject, then apperception is consciousness without such
      subject/object reference.

      This points to perception being time based, to an
      understanding of what has gone before. Apperception being
      perception just as it is, without any interpretation of the fact.

      One can say that in these dialogues we indulge in
      perception, in knowing the way of things, in understanding.
      Whereas actually this is just story world and right now I can't
      be apart from myself or anything and can't understand, not
      without reference.

      Brother Void salon.com

      "To practice death is to practice freedom. A man who has
      learned how to die has unlearned how to be a slave." --
      Michel de Montaigne

      Death is too important to be left to the end of life. Better to
      face death now while you can still enjoy what it has to offer.
      Fortunately, there are several ways to do this, and there's a
      special outfit for each encounter. In jeans, chartreuse
      windbreaker and parachute, you can dangle your legs out
      the doorway of an old prop plane and push yourself into
      oblivion. In fatigues and helmet, you can endure the daily
      routine of terror and courage until death is an easy friend.
      Sitting silently in a loose-fitting black meditation robe, you
      can follow your inner corpse to its ultimate ego-annihilating
      epiphany.

      Maybe you shy away from these encounters. "I can't face the
      truth," you say. "It's too intense. I'd like to have a destiny, but
      not just yet." To find your resolve, remember what's at stake.
      If you push death away, you'll be plagued by the nagging
      dread of oblivion deferred. But when you face death now,
      you avoid the long wait in the chamber of fear. You turn the
      tables. No longer the hunted, you become the hunter. In this
      way you get a head start on your destiny.

      Once I learn to die, I can get on with my life.

      Nisargadatta

      I Am That: Talks With Sri Nisargadatta by Nisargadatta
      Maharaj, Sudhaker S. Dikshit (Editor), Maurice Frydman

      The window is the absence of the wall, and it gives air and
      light because it is empty. Be empty of all mental content, of
      all imagination and effort, and the very absence of obstacles
      will cause reality to rush in. (p260)

      Before you can know anything directly, non-verbally, you
      must know the knower. So far, you took the mind for the
      knower, but it is not so. The mind clogs you up with images
      and ideas, which leave scars in memory. You take
      remembering to be knowledge. True knowledge is ever
      fresh, new, unexpected. It wells up from within. When you
      know what you are, you also are what you know. Between
      knowing and being there is no gap. (p520)

      Stop making use of your mind and see what happens. Do
      this one thing thoroughly. That is all. (p197)

      "You are like the point of the pencil - by mere contact with
      you the mind draws its picture of the world. You are single
      and simple - the picture is complex and extensive. Don't be
      misled by the picture - remain aware of the tiny point - which
      is everywhere in the picture."