Saturday, October 19

  • John Metzger
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2002

      NDhighlights #1232
      Saturday, October 19
      Edited by John

      Brother Void   salon.com   "the economics of spirituality"

      "The meek shall inherit the Earth but not the mineral rights."
      -- John Paul Getty

      Though we are different by birth, background and life experience, we are all creatures of the same spirit. Although some of us are young and some old, some white and some black, some rich and some poor, some very rich and some very poor, some extremely rich and some extremely poor, some disgustingly filthy rich beyond human reason and some appallingly miserably poor beyond human comprehension -- we are all children of the Universe. Whether we receive our livelihood through a begging bowl, paycheck or trust fund, we're told that there's a channel connecting each of us to the source of creation. We're told that when our channel is open, money will flow into our life; and when our channel is blocked, the money will stop flowing. We soon notice, however, that no matter how blocked some people's channels get, money still flows through their trust fund.

      When my channel is blocked, will money still flow through my trust fund?

      Frank Gorin   thomasmerton

      "The problem is that ego can convert anything to its own use, even
      spirituality. Ego is constantly seeking to acquire and apply the
      teachings of spirituality for its own benefit. The teachings are
      treated as an external thing, external to 'me', a philosophy which we
      try to imitate . . . We become skillful actors, and while playing deaf
      and dumb to the real meaning of the teachings, we find some comfort in
      pretending to follow the path . . . everything is seen through the
      filter of ego's philosophy and logic, making it all appear very neat,
      precise and very logical. But we have simply created a shop, an antique
      shop. We could be specializing in oriental antiques or medieval
      Christian antiques or antiques from other civilization or time, but we
      are nonetheless running a shop."

      (Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism
      Chogyam Trungpa, Shambala, 1987)
      -----
      John   thomasmerton   "setting up shop online"

      Sam Keen: I find public revelation of intimate sexual and spiritual experiences
      increasingly distasteful. I suspect that true saints and great lovers
      don't advertise their prowess, parade their tenderness, or exhibit
      their compassion to be seen by all. There is something I admire about
      the near-obsolete virtues of shyness and modesty. It is not seemly to
      speak too much about sacred things in public. Words of endearment,
      like prayer, are best spoken in a whisper.

      nachiketan123   allspirit

      The Guest House

      This human being is a guest house.
      Every morning a new arrival.

      A joy, a depression, a meanness,
      some momentary awarenss comes
      as an unexpected visitor.

      Welcome and entertain them all!
      Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
      who violently sweep your house
      empty of its furniture,
      still, treat each guest honorably.
      He may be clearing you out
      for some new delight.

      The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
      meet them at the door laughing,
      and invite them in.

      Be grateful for whoever comes,
      because each has been sent
      as a guide from beyond.

      Jelalludin Rumi
      From The Essential Rumi
      Translation by Coleman Barks, with John Moyne, page 109

      Bill Rishel   Nisargadatta

      It is due to illusion born of ignorance that men fail
      to recognise That which is always and for everybody the
      inherent Reality dwelling in its natural Heart-centre and
      to abide in it, and that instead they argue that it
      exists or does not exist, that it has form or has not
      form, or is non-dual or dual.

      -Ramana Maharshi

      Per my interpretation, what the above says is:

      People fail to abide in the inherent Reality dwelling in
      its natural Heart-center.

      Instead they argue that it exists or does not exist,
      that it has form or has not form, is non-dual or dual.

      Non-theism, Non-duality and Information of Psychology, Theology and Philosophy that Enter Beyond and Behind One Sided Perspectives, With Paradoxical Truths That Are Not Necessary Religious, But Spiritual Principles That Framework Man, Society and God - In User Friendly, Non-Philosophical Terms.