Friday, October 18, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2002
      .

      The Colors of Ritual
      Artisan Hamid Ali carries freshly dyed kalawa, a sacred orange-yellow thread
      used extensively in Hindu rituals, against a backdrop of kalawa drying in the
      sun in Lalgopalgunj village, north of Allahabad, India, on Oct. 13.

      Highlight #1231 - Friday, October 18, 2002 - Edited by Gloria

      The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would
      suffice to solve most of the world's problems.
        --Mahatma Gandhi

      Viorica Weissman
      MillionPaths

      sages & opinions

      Although the systems of right and wrong are but human judgements  and have
      no validity from the 'point of view of nature', yet that people do pass these
      invalid judgements is a fact . This fact is a natural phenomenon just as anything
      else. So the sages 'rest in the evolution of nature,' just let the different opinions
      alone, and do not dispute and interfere with them. They do not abolish the
      different opinions;  they just transcend them. This is called following two courses
      at once.

      taken from
       A Taoist Classic , Chuang-Tzu

      Caiti
      Being_One

      Subject: holiness (de Mello)

      So it is with holiness. The moment you are aware of your
      holiness it goes sour and become self righteous.
      (A.de Mello)

      Be so in love with the action that you forget all about virtue. You
      do it because it seems to be a natural, inevitable thing to do.
      Real virtue you enjoy thoroughly.

      Desire keeps you in constant state of dissatisfaction. Together
      with anxiety that kills the happiness.

      Cunningness of the ego pushes you to make efforts to become
      other then what you are. It goes for the methods and techniques.

      The other approach is the wisdom of the Nature. That is
      creativity. When there is an abandonment in you, no greed,
      ambition, no striving...but alert awareness that causes
      dissolution...then....

      Tykal
      Being_one

      As the Gift Arrives

      potentially anything,
      perhaps nothing,
      in these words at least
      love lives whatever's necessary

      whether one welcomes
      it as oneself
      or wishes
      it would mind its own business
      and go take a flying
      leap

      Tykal
      Being_one

      What is the Heart?

      What is the heart? It is not human,
      and it is not imaginary. I call it

      you. Stately bird, who one moment
      combines with this world, and the

      next, passes through the boundary to
      the unseen. The soul cannot find you

      because you are the soul's wings, how
      it moves. Eyes cannot see you: you

      are the source of sight. You're the
      one thing repentance will not repent,

      nor news report. Spring comes: one
      seed refuses to germinate and start

      being a tree. One poor piece of wood
      blackens but will not catch fire.

      The alchemist wonders at a bit of
      copper that resists turning to gold.

      Who am I that I'm with you and still
      myself? When the sun comes up,

      the complicated nightmind of the
      constellations fades. Snowstorms do

      not last through July. The heart-
      quality embodied by our master, Shams

      Tabriz, will always dissolve the old
      quarrel between those who believe in

      the dignity of a human being's decisions
      and those who claim they're all illusion.

      - Rumi

      Francis Hunter
      DailyDharma

      I see people as flowerings of their environments and not as separate
      objects.Thus if a flower had a god it would not be a transcendental flower but a
      field - more over a field as discussed in physics, an integrated pattern of energy,
      a field which would not only be flowering, but also earthing, raining, shining,
      birding, worming, and being. A sensitive flower would, through its roots and
      membranes, feel out into this entire pattern and so discover itself as a particular
      exultation of the whole field.
       ~Alan Watts

      From the book, “In My Own Way,” published by Pantheon Books.

      Joseph Riley
      Panhala

      Each step of the journey
      is the journey.

      ~ Zen aphorism

      Pusan
      TheUnbornMind

      Dhammapada

      15. Joy (1st Stanza--Completion)

      Live in joy,

      In love,

      Even among those who hate.

      Live in joy,

      In health,

      Even among the afflicted.

      Live in joy,

      In peace,

      Even among the troubled.

      Live in joy,

      Without possessions,

      Like the shining ones.

      The winner sows hatred

      Because the loser suffers.

      Let go of winning and losing

      And find joy.

      There is no fire like passion,

      No crime like hatred,

      No sorrow like separation,

      No sickness like hunger,

      And no joy like the joy of freedom.

      Health, contentment and trust

      Are your greatest possessions,

      And freedom your greatest joy.

      Look within,

      Be still.

      Free from fear and attachment,

      Know the sweet joy of the way.

      How joyful to look upon the awakened

      And to keep company with the wise.

      How long the road to the man

      Who travels with a fool.

      But whosoever follows those who follow the way

      Discovers his family, and is filled with joy.

      Follow then the shining ones,

      The wise, the awakened, the loving,

      For they know how to work and forbear.

      Follow them,

      As the moon follows the path of the stars.

      Al Larus
      HarshaSatsangh

      As if she was present
      I kept wishing,
      for the softest thread.

      As if she was present;
      Tread softly,
      she said.

      To know me,
      come to the surface,
      of the lake.

      I give you, wrapped in this universe.
       One grain of sand, to throw away.
      It is all that it will take.

      Michael Read
      NDS

      "and now for something completely different"

      from the world of monty python

      this is waaaaay down at the bottom of the page:
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      [Ricky, singing, emerges from a toilet:]

      The universe is big
      Very, very big
      You won't believe how amazingly, mindbogglingly huge it is
      You might think that it's a long way down the street to get a bite to eat
      Some candy, and a box of Ploppie-Fizz
      But if you take the biggest thing
      That you can comfortably conceive
      Only twice as big, and all in the same place
      Then multiply that by itself six hundred billion times
      -- Well, all of that's just peanuts to space

      It's infinitely big, and you are infinitely small
      To even think about it hurts the brain
      They say that it's expanding
      And it's rolling, twisting, turning
      And that ninety-five percent of us are sane (shrugs)
      Gigantic multiplied by huge
      Times immense times really pretty large
      Is the concept that I'm trying to 'splain in song
      I'd say it in a word
      But it would seem a bit absurd
      'Cause there just ain't any word that fucking strong

      (calliope solo)

      To survive we just forget about
      How huge the whole thing is
      And build a house that's relatively small
      We rarely even bother just to gaze up at the sky
      'Cause we'd rather all be gazing at the mall
      (he has one foot in the toilet by this point, and going down)
      But don't forget as you are going out to get that bite to eat
      That you're part of this amazing cosmic dance
      And I hope that you enjoy this thing
      We call the human race
      'least til next August
      When we're conquered by ants