Tuesday, Otober 15, 2002

  • Michael Read
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2002
      Non-Dual Highlights and Other Fishy Stuff

      Issue #1228
      Tuesday, October, 15, 2002
      editor: michael

      the egg?

      +++++++++++++++++++++

       it's the spiritual

      Spiritual Chickology

      Question Everything
      Condemn Nothing
      Align Yourself With What You Want

      To us, spirituality is the process of exploring our connection to the universe at large---or, more precisely, to the elusive power that holds the universe together and makes our hair grow, all at the same time.  OK, but what is this power we’re talking about?  Science calls it Energy or Consciousness, and theology calls it God or Spirit.  The interpretation of this power varies (scientists measure and quantify its effects, while creationists ascribe human-like body parts and personality traits to it), but there are three general characteristics that are more or less consistent—this power is everywhere, knows everything and can do anything.  Now, that’s a kick ass power.  We use terms like God, energy, Spirit and consciousness, along with Nature and the One Life, interchangeably.  But it’s all the same ever-present stuff.

      So if energy, or God, is everywhere, then where  are we?  And who  are we?  This brings us to the definition of one final term---the One Life Principle.  This ancient idea says that there is a single underlying power in the universe, but the expression of this power takes many forms---baseball players, puppies, exotic dancers, Supreme Court Justices, rocks, trees, even criminals.  And, while you might not be ready to jump on the One Life bandwagon just yet, you must admit that this principle explains a lot about life---not the least of which is how Jerry Falwell, Larry Flint and Mother Theresa can all be "children of God."  We’re all spiritual beings, because we’re all Spirit.   There you have it.  God, or energy, is all there is.  Isn’t it a kick in the ass to realize that we’ve always been what we’re trying to become...spiritual, that is?

      Think about it.  If we are already spiritual beings, then anything we do is spiritual whether it’s praying in the highest temple or taking out the garbage.  And because the One Life expresses itself through many forms, we each have our own way of exploring our spiritual connection.  This means that somebody’s fistfight may be as necessary for enlightenment as another person’s college education.  So there’s no need to get into spiritual name calling over what’s "good" and what’s "bad."  The only thing we need to consider is will this belief, action, idea or conversation bring us what we say we want?  The spiritual process is about questioning everything---examining every idea or concept we have to make sure that it is logical to us, and that it works for us.  But the trick is not to condemn anything in the process.   Everything is spiritual---even stuff that you don’t like or don’t agree with.  Question everything, but condemn nothing, then decide what you want and align yourself with it.  If we can manage these three steps, we find that our personal power is the power of the universe, and life can be pretty great.

      [the egg? is actually a virus]

      spiritual chicks hold forth at http://www.spiritualchicks.com/Home.htm

      Pronoia

       --- In SufiMystic  marcos lacerda respons to bondzai:
       Excellent! I've been getting regular attacks of it lately, -
      even if things 'go wrong', that's all right (and they end up not
      going wrong really)!
      Marcos

      --- bondzai had written
      :
      Pronoia:

      The suspicion the Universe is a conspiracy on your behalf.
      On the terrestrial level, pronoia should be defined as the
      opposite of paranoia: the sneaking suspicion others are
      conspiring to help you (and you them!). Symptoms include: sudden
      attacks of optimism and outbreaks of goodwill.

      --- In NondualitySalon Harsha  wrote:

      If it feels nice don't think twice. Just...

      Shower the people you love with love; Show them the
      way that you feel.

      Things are gonna work out fine, if you only will.

      Shower the people you love with love; Show them the
      way you feel.

      Things are gonna be much better if you only will.

      James Taylor

      --- In SufiMystic Jan Sultan wrote:

      The Little Fish

      "Excuse me," said an ocean fish.
      "You are older than I, so
      can you tell me where to find
      this thing they call the ocean?"

      "The ocean," said the older fish, "is the thing
      you are in now."

      "Oh, this?  But this is water.  What I'm seeking
      is the ocean," said the disappointed fish
      as he swam away to search elsewhere.

      <**************<*>**************>

      He came to the master in sannyasi robes.  And he spoke
      sannyasi language:  "For years I have been seeking God.
      I have sought him everywhere that he is said to be: on
      mountain peaks, the vastness of the desert, the silence
      of the cloister, & the dwellings of the poor."

      "Have you found him?" the master asked.

      "No.  I have not.  Have you?"

      What could the master say?  The evening sun was sending
      shafts of golden light into the room.  Hundreds of sparrows
      were twittering on a nearby banyan tree.  In the distance
      one could hear the sound of highway traffic.  A mosquito
      droned a warning that it was going to strike . . . . And yet
      this man could sit there & say he had not found God.

      After a while he left, disappointed, to search elsewhere.

      Stop searching, little fish.  There isn't anything to look for.
      All you have to do is look.

             Anthony de Mello