Saturday, October 12, 2002

  • Christiana Duranczyk
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 13, 2002
      Highlights #1225
      Saturday, October 12, 2002
      Editor: Christiana

      Dedicated to the variety of expression

      Art: Fred Casselman The Seed

      Umi

      My Own Individuality

      Question: I want to follow my own individuality, is this in
      conflict with your work?

      Umi: There is such a strong belief in the West that you need
      to be in control, and this is misunderstood to be your
      individuality. Therefore, you talk about 'your truth' or following
      some guide or some inner voice. But these are creations of
      the mind. The mind creates that which will maintain its
      control, and individuality is one such strategy. The truth is,
      you are unique -- but not in the way that you believe. The way
      you believe is purely a personality, a persona, a mask,
      something that has been given to you. You were not born
      with good manners, you were taught these. You were not
      born with certain behaviors, these you copied from others.
      You were not born with dreams, these were introduced to
      you by others. The word personality comes from the Latin
      word persona, which means actor's mask. Everything that is
      unreal, that is a mind creation, that surrounds you, that
      covers you, is your personality. And all this prevents you from
      being who you really are, from being your uniqueness. And
      you have no idea what this uniqueness is. Your personality is
      a collections of behaviors that you have developed since you
      were born, as a strategy for survival. This is not who you are.
      Your automatic behaviors are not yours, they are purely
      habits. Once when the river was flowing high, people came
      running to Mulla Nasrudin and told him "Your wife has fallen
      in the river. You have to save her! Run fast!" Mulla Nasrudin
      ran fast and jumped into the river, but then started to swim
      upstream. All the people standing on the bank started
      shouting, "What are you doing? Your wife must be floating
      down stream." Nasrudin shouted back, "What are you talking
      about? I know my wife, she can only go upstream!" This is
      personality. This is living in the mind. Only when all this is
      dissolved, can your uniqueness emerge, only when this
      cover of personality dissolves, can this uniqueness emerge,
      and then there will be a flow, and the flow is only down
      stream to the ocean, to the Whole.

      Umi
      Love Is Not An Emotion

      Question: Is love an emotion?

      Umi: Love is not an emotion and love is not a feeling. Love is
      the very foundation that creates life. It's the very source and it
      is the end. Without love there is nothing. All of Existence
      emerges out of love and returns to love. Love manifests in
      many forms. When love manifests through the body it
      becomes sex. It becomes the possibility to merge and
      disappear, to be lost back into the source. This is the first
      step on the spiritual ladder. When there is no ego this can
      lead directly to the source. When love manifests through the
      mind it becomes what we call love. Now there is the
      possibility of poetry, music, a song of delight, an expression
      that can touch the very core of all. When love manifests
      through the spirit it becomes prayer. An opening, an
      expression of deep gratitude, a dance of oneness. When
      love manifests thru the unknowable, through that which is
      beyond understanding, it becomes enlightenment....the
      fourth. Buddha called it Turiya, which means the fourth. There
      is no word for it, so it is simply called the fourth. It is that
      which cannot be made into a word. When love manifests in
      the fourth, there is only love. Love has returned completely to
      the source. This is the journey. This is the beginning and the
      new beginning.

      Umi's latest book
      Enlightenment Guaranteed: Zen, Bodhidharma, and Who Are You?

      Brian Perkins

      Holding on to emptiness

      The flawless jewel was back in the palm of my hand. I was
      looking at it and vowed never to take my eyes from it again.
      How do you hold on to emptiness? Believe me you can - if it
      is important to you. You hold on by continually looking at it.

      How do you look at emptiness? You close your eyes and
      look at the darkness on the back of the eyelids experiencing
      its stillness, its balm. (This is best done in bright sunlight)
      That which sees this velvet darkness is who you really are!

      It is not the perfect selfless state but it is a reference point, a
      standpoint from which you resist the subtle wiles of
      doubt.The simple passage of time is a great ally in this
      fight.It builds confidence as the hours and days pass and still
      the jewel is in your sight.

      Alone

      The experiences I have related so far all had a very real
      sense of "I" about them; "I" had an empty mind etc. I had
      loved reading about the 'Absolute' standpoint taken by
      Nissargadata in his book "I am That." but it didn't mirror my
      own subjective experience. A few years later,as ever still
      pre-occupied with making it stick, I went for my usual early
      morning run. An insight revealed itself which shook me to the
      core. I was alone...... for ever. This terrified me. I couldn't
      shake it off. I couldn't unsee it again. I took a bus into town.
      From the upper deck I looked down to see a mailman
      delivering mail. It was a bright sunny day. He had left his bike
      by the garden gate and strode up the path to deliver the mail.
      He was whistling. He didn't have a care in the world. How I
      longed for his innocence! In town I walked past a bingo
      parlour. Music was coming from a juke box and I found
      myself drowning in the gaps of silence between the sounds. I
      was that silence and I knew that nothing would ever touch me
      again. This was an unexpected and unwanted development.

      The terror lasted several weeks and didn't subside
      completely for many months. I lived by the words "A journey
      of infinite miles begins with a single step".

      Through a process of engagement and involvment in a world
      I now knew to be a dream, I slowly acclimatized to this new
      perspective.

      12 years on

      ... the emptiness is still there ... the ego is still there and
      affecting behavior, but at arms length ... it is no longer a
      reference point ... life has become ordinary again ... just
      gently observing the ordinary rhythms of life is more than
      enough to excite and fulfil ... ...there is a deep sense of not
      knowing ... not so much the sublime spiritual state of not
      knowing, that I was led to expect ... more like the
      "my-God,-what-was-that-all-about?" state followed by
      OK-maybe-I-don't-need-to-know ... and there is a
      discernable flow to events. ... applying the truths of life in
      everyday circumstances, and through trial and error, forging
      a seasoned understanding.... inviting the process of
      enlightenment, not demanding it.

      being loose and natural (Tilopa)

      doing the next obvious thing (Suzanne Segal)

      abandonment to Divine Providence (Jean-Pierre de Caussade)

      don't avoid anything that comes! ... don't invite anything that
      you don't need! ... attend to circumstances as best you can,
      and forget about it! (Papaji)

      allow things to take their own course .... the whole day long
      stay unconcerned, as if you are too ill to attend to them
      (Papaji)

      ... doing ordinary things ... facing up to the practical
      difficulties of life ... shopping ... cooking ... going to the gym
      ... sleeping ... being sick ... ageing ... reflecting ... seeing
      what happens.

      ... or these words** from an Indian housewife, Surendra Kaur

      "Be free of thoughts, be free of the mind, and be free of any
      idea. Then there is nothing left. You leave your shoes outside
      when you go into a room. You leave your body behind when
      you die. In this present moment, take leave of everything you
      have and everything you can think of. Walk away from them
      all and be free. It's very simple and very beautiful".

      ** from Nothing ever Happenned...David Godman

      What is emptiness?

      With closed eyes, the eyelids dissolve into a deep warm
      blackness that contains infinite pixels of light, like distant
      stars. Through the back of the head flows a river of void
      which meets the blackness. It is impossible to describe
      because it has no centre, no attributes. Nothing moves.
      All is still. Nothing exists but this.
      Awareness arises out of this--awareness of awareness.

      Thought arises as a spectre and if it is given attention, there
      is a temporary forgetfulnessof the background
      void.Seconds, minutes or hours later thought subsides and
      again there is awareness of awareness. Remembrance of
      awareness.

      Before the shift, thought arises like a flood and demands
      constant attention. It is opaque and obscures the void.

      When the sun shines on closed eyes, the pixels of light in the
      blackness become peach coloured. It is the vision of the
      child in the womb.

      The empty mind exposes the world as an infinite mirage.

      Emptiness is Form. Form is Emptiness.

      Empty Mind 2

      A Billionth of a Second after the Shift The ego/mind - what
      remains of it - runs for cover - leaving the brain totally thought
      free. It has been dispaced from your subjective centre. When
      it emerges and appraises the situation it finds that its heart,
      the vortex of energy which wants to 'become', has been
      mortally wounded. It cannot immediately retake the centre
      but it can respond in an insistent way. It can become a
      'finder'. It can become 'blissed out'. Or generate great fear
      and terror. This explains Suzanne Segal's initial terror.

      This explains Bernadette Robert's initial terror.

      There is nothing that the newly awakened empty awareness
      can do about this wall of extreme emotional feelings. All it
      needs to do is wrap its arms around itself, cling to itself,and
      be aware of itself, as its only reference point. Self has found
      itSelf. Self has found its unmoving Self. It needs to resist the
      temptation to attach negative significance to the presence of
      terror or positive significance to the presence of bliss. It
      needs to bear with and and not buy into that sublimated form
      of ego which loudly insists - I am a 'finder' - I am enlightened
      - I am special etc - even though, at the time, it very much
      seems to be factually true.

      The stark contrast between two states of consciousness just
      a fraction of a second apart will inevitably bring a reaction.
      But that's par for the course. What did you expect? A life
      change of this proportion without major difficulties in
      adjusting ? No! that myth belongs to the past! It's becoming
      common knowledge now that the ego survives this shift
      albeit in a mutated form.

      The passage of time will slowly reveal fluctuations in the
      feelings and moods proving that they originate from ego,
      proving they have nothing to do with You. The passage of
      time will erode your new exalted descriptions of yourself.
      They were just instinctive ploys by ego to cling to its life.And
      they are shockingly untrue. (They were firmly in the realm of
      the relative - relative to an illusion!)

      The ego will die on the vine with the simple passage of time
      and a judicious use of sadhana. Particular attention needs to
      be given to the places in the human physiology where ego is
      unnaturally stored eg. bad posture, tense muscle tissue,
      restricted joint movements etc. The shift has the power to
      sweep away refined thought which had obscured your innate
      emptiness, but not to sweep away gross chronic hiding
      places for ego.

      A few common sense precautions are necessary, but these
      should swing into operation naturally if your spiritual
      preparation has been comprehensive.

      Livereal.com a promising new website intent on exploring opening dialogue

      "Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of
      soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee
      of truth, then inquire." - Friedrich Nietzsche

      From their intro:
      In one way, LiveReal is a small band of elite and highly
      trained individuals (sixth grade, at least) . . . on a noble
      mission to rid the world of all the annoying, unpleasant, and
      sometimes downright nasty forms of unnecessary human
      suffering (such as anxiety, depression, bad relationships,
      bad self-help books, too many diet plans, utter
      meaninglessness, the day-to-day rat race, occasional bouts
      of mid-life crisis (no matter how young you are) . . . and other
      things like that.

      This small but merry squad of rebels are, in six words: 1) just
      2) trying 3) to 4) figure 5) things 6) out . . .

      In yet another way, LiveReal is even more simple: it's just a
      few folks who are looking for answers ("Why am I here?"
      "What am I doing with my life?" "What's the best way to
      live?" "What's the point?" - and so on) - and, in search of
      these answers, are fearlessly (well, we're fearless at least
      some of the time) exploring frontiers of thought and mind and
      backing away from everything that's phony.

      Ann Faraday - fire all gurus and transpersonal psychologists

      In psychotherapy, I would hope for a radically new approach
      to those who suffer from inner emptiness. Instead of working
      towards filling that void with new purpose, direction and
      meaning, I would aim to assist sufferers to go even deeper
      into Empty-ness and discover its true nature. I would actively
      discourage all ideas of inner-journeying towards wholeness
      or paths to enlightenment. These serve merely to postpone
      happiness here and now, and they build up the self-illusion.
      In the spiritual domain, I would fire all gurus and
      transpersonal psychologists who use stage-by-stage models
      of self-development ( explaining experiences like mine as
      fifth level transient nirvikalpa samadhi - or whatever). And I
      would like to see the term Self with a capital S:
      Self-actualisation, Self-realisation, Self-transcendence -
      expunged from psychological and spiritual literature,
      reserving the word strictly for the empirical self of everyday
      life. It is the whole obfuscating concept of self which needs to
      be transcended, for in my experience there has never really
      been any self to transform, actualise, realize or transcend.

      Exposed to the diversity of approaches and expressions
      towards a nondual view and state of consciousness found on
      NDS and in my own explorations - I see more clearly now
      that some humans prefer Emptiness over Form.

      Some prefer the dryness of eyes that no longer can weep -
      the clear space of silenced emotions that no longer arise -
      the dissolution of all bodies, personal history, feelings,
      phenomenon. Even love is seen as abandonable.

      Could these humans be saints of Emptiness?

      So many ways - all perfect for each one experiencing each
      way?

      Are there many kinds of saints?

      Here is a view:

      -------------

      "What is a saint? A saint is someone who has achieved a
      remote human possibility. It is impossible to say what that
      possibility is.

      I think it has something to do with the energy of love.

      Contact with this energy results in the exercise of a kind of
      balance in the chaos of existence. A saint does not dissolve
      the chaos; if he did the world would have changed long ago. I
      do not think that a saint dissolves the chaos even for himself,
      for there is something arrogant and warlike in the notion of a
      man setting the universe in order.

      It is a kind of balance that is his glory. He rides the drifts like
      an escaped ski. His course is the caress of the hill. His track
      is a drawing of the snow in a moment of its particular
      arrangement with wind and rock. Something in him so loves
      the world that he gives himself to the laws of gravity and
      chance.

      Far from flying with the angels, he traces with the fidelity of a
      seismograph needle the state of the solid bloody landscape.
      His house is dangerous and finite, but he is at home in the
      world.

      He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted
      shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men,
      such balancing monsters of love."

      - Leonard Cohen, Beautiful Losers (1966)

      Sacred Balance - new series by David Suzuki

      For Canadians... and hopefully soon CBS will broadcast this
      in the USA.

      Fascinating new series entitled Sacred Balance begins
      tonight; with interviews and live chat with David Suzuki
      tomorrow.

      Sophisticted and very interesting website
      http://www.sacredbalance.com/web/indexfirst.html

      Check out games based on series. Try "Looking Up"

      Snipped from Act five, Scene ten in Peer Gynt by Henrik
      Ibsen

      So unspeakably poor, then, a soul can go back to
      nothingness, into the grey of the mist. Thou beautiful earth,
      be not angry with me that I trampled thy grasses to no avail.
      Thou beautiful sun, thou hast squandered away thy glory of
      light in an empty hut. There was no one within it to hearten
      and warm;- the owner, they tell me, was never at home.

      The spirit is niggard and nature lavish; and dearly one pays
      for one's birth with one's life.- I will clamber up high, to the
      dizziest peak; I will look once more on the rising sun, gaze till
      I'm tired o'er the promised land; then try to get snowdrifts
      piled up over me. They can write above them: "Here No One
      lies buried;"

      Life

      First you have to give yourself the right to be.

      Just as you give the ant on the sidewalk the right to be.

      You don't have to become somebody or something. Or
      unbecome somebody or something.

      You have the right to be.

      That is the first and last step.

      I am.

      The "body cum this sense of being" appeared and it will
      disappear.

      That is obvious. All you have to do read the obituary columns
      in the news paper.

      So what!

      "I am" is here and now, not yesterday or tomorrow.

      Life is now.

      "I am" is the sign post for that Life.

      That is what you are. Life.

      What is wrong with that?