Thursday, October 10, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11 6:20 PM

      light is timeless play
      when these words don't give a clue
      count the shades of grey

      --Jan Barendrecht, from NDS

      #1223 - Thursday, October 10, 2002 - Edited by Jerry - Home: <http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm>

      without the content

      from NDS

      Question: Is Realization a fixed state?

      No, it is not a state at all. And it is not an object.
      There is no such  thing as Enlightenment.. There is no
      such thing as an 'enlightened person'.  No person has
      ever been 'enlightened'. All there is is light. And in
      that  light arises apparent darkness. Part of that
      apparent darkness is the sense  that there is some one,
      an identity. There, in that sense of 'there is
      someone', arises separation. Separation is the root of
      all fear and  alienation and disease and feelings of
      discomfort, alarm, etc. Then there  is a need to go
      beyond that, and so the mind thinks that there is a way
      of  going beyond that, because it thinks that there is a
      person there that can  find something that takes them
      beyond this fear of separation. And so there  is the
      confusion about this because most teachings are speaking
      to an  apparent person attaining something called
      'enlightenment'. All of that is  totally illusory and
      rooted in a misunderstanding or ignorance. There is
      only light. And there is apparent darkness. Awakening is
      simply the  dropping away of the idea that there is
      anyone, and the apparent darkness  is again seen as

      Amigo Magazine issue 4

      from SufiMystic

      Q. Advaita stresses the unity of subject and object, of
      perceiver and perceived. In trying to understand this
      concept, one comes face to face with the question: Who
      am I? Because if I and the world are identical, there is
      no such thing as the individual. Right? This is a
      terrifying thought.

      JK: Terrifying to whom?

      This was great. Klein is funny and very direct and
      patient. I have  a copy of "Transmission of the Flame"
      which is full of good stuff. Consider the following
      exchange (p94):

      JK: ...Take note of the many moments when you are
      without any question.

      Q: I don't understand.

      JK: There are many moments when you have no questions.

      Q: No questions?

      JK: Yes, so you are a happy man in a certain way.

      Q: There aren't many moments like that. (laughter)
      There's always a  question: Where am I going, what am I
      doing, what's it all about.

      JK: Yes. (pause)

      Klein goes on and on like the sea, so people don't
      notice that so  often he has said it all, right there,
      answered every question, and all  there is left is
      silence. And within that silence is our infinity and
      absence of self.

      "There are many moments when you have no questions." It
      is in these  moments that you are 'enlightened,' that
      you are your 'real' self, your  non-self. And it happens
      to everyone every day! Lots! The habit of only
      regarding ego-consciousness as who we are is so potent
      that few even  notice. Even when told they deny it, and
      fools laugh. This is why 'those  who glance' enjoin
      mindfulness. Sooner or later, being mindful, you will
      stumble across a moment when you have no questions, and
      you will be 'there.'

      from NDS

      I am new to this group. Someone asked me to explain
      Non-duality and  I  was wondering if anyone would care
      to give a defintion of what it  is  or means and
      possibly how that compares to Dualism? I would
      appreciate a comments, or possibly lead me in a
      direction perhaps  from pryor post. Thanks for anything
      you have time to offer.

      hi harry, welcome to the group. perhaps it's not the
      best but the  shortest definition of nonduality is
      "consciousness." there are  indeed so many other
      definitions of nonduality that after millions(?)  of
      messages posted on the nonduality (mysticism) related
      groups on  the internet the discussion is still going
      on. for a variety of  explanations you can also refer

      Here are three different definitions (of nonduality),
      having to do with the nature of all things:

      - there are no two things, or even one
      - everything is consciousness
      - there is neither any absolute existence nor any absolute non-existence

      from NDS

      Studs Terkel

      love this guy
      peace - michael

      He laments what he calls our "national Alzheimer's
      disease. We don't remember the past, as a nation," he

      from Petros Truth

      Only that understanding which you make your own, which
      you incorporate into your own being and your own life,
      even your physicality, can properly be called truth for
      you. Anything less than this remains only an
      intellectual theory. The only way to make any
      understanding your own is not to allow another to
      proscribe your understanding for you.

      from Live Journal

      From today's Daily Dharma: Perception without

      When we meditate on our body, we meditate on 'the body
      in the body.' This means that we do not consider our
      body as a separate object, independent of our mind which
      is observing it. Meditation is not measuring or
      reflecting on the object of the mind, but directly
      perceiving it. This is called 'perception without
      discrimination,' or nirvikalpajnana. ~~Thich Nhat Hahn
      (DailyDharma link here)

      How nice. Just now, while laying down with Z to put her
      to sleep, I slipped into a lucid, dreamful state of my
      own. As I descended further into it, I became aware that
      I was observing an ever-deepening collection of
      thoughts; I was observing thoughts that I don't normally
      observe, but rather that I normally think I'm thinking.

      As I returned to my physical awareness, I tried to keep
      that sense about myself. That is, I simply tried to stay
      in that state in which I was observing the most primal
      thoughts that made their very first skitterings across
      my mind field. Whatever analogy is used to conceptualize
      what this looks like, one is always left with the same
      insights. We are not the mind: the mind is of the void.
      Before mind, is being. Before being, is nothing.

      from Live Journal

      Mom is Gone
      [I wrote this to my family Sunday Morning]
      As most of you have undoubtedly heard by now, Mom died last
      night, at 12:20. She died peacefully, her breathing simply
      stopped. Dan was there with her.

      I can't even begin to touch on what she meant to us all and
      how terribly saddened and grief-stricken I feel and we all feel.
      But I did want to pass on this:

      In her white box where she kept all her important papers she
      left a card, addressed "To My family, at my death."

      The card has a few prayers on it and it says on the front,

      "Do not stand at my grave and weep.
      I am not there. I do not sleep. I am
      a thousand winds that blow. I am
      the diamond glints on snow. I am the
      sunlight on ripened grain. I am the
      gentle autumn rain.
      When you awaken in the mornings
      hush. I am the swift uplifting
      rush of quiet birds in circling flight.
      I am the soft star that shines at night.
      Do not stand at my grave and cry.
      I am not there. I did not die"
      -- "Anonymous"

      Inside Mom simply wrote: