Monday, October 7, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2002
      CHRISTIANA

      Bernadette Roberts Videos and Links

      http://www.geocities.com/brianperkins77/275bernadettevideo.htm
      http://www.geocities.com/brianperkins77/178bernadetteroberts.htm
      http://www.geocities.com/brianperkins77/index.html

      K.D. PALMER

      Nonduality Salon members---

      Would like to draw your attention to the non-dual philosophy and
      systems theory I have been developing for a number of years:

      See http://archonic.net

      See also http://dialog.net:85/kent_palmer.html

      Thank you,

      Kent Palmer
      palmer@...

      JEFF BELYEA
      from Papajeff

      No questions

      Clarity has no questions.

      It's tempting to look
      at life's problems and
      examine them for rational
      solutions. And, of course,
      that works in some instances.
      But there is a better way -
      a more excellent way.

      We look at something that
      is "wrong" or uncomfortable
      and try to figure out what
      we need to do to correct
      the current situation and
      act in such a way that it
      doesn't recur.

      But if you've been around
      the sun more than a few
      times, you'll notice that
      problems do recur. The
      relationship, financial,
      and situational discomfort
      may have a few new plot
      twists, but essentially
      the same story keeps
      somehow getting rewound
      and played again.

      And we continue to try
      to "figure it out". But
      habits of thought don't
      give up easily. You'll
      notice that a large
      percentage of your
      thoughts today are
      replays from yesterday.

      All the planning and
      goalsetting and making of
      lists are temporary bandaids
      almost all of the time.

      The solutions often doesn't
      lie in making new resolutions
      or "figuring it out". The
      solution lies in getting to
      a place of clarity - a clearing.

      And this will come from going
      inside to a deep, still place
      and allowing a natural enlightenment
      to unfold. This is the goal of
      meditation. This is the place
      the Awakened Ones speak of so
      invitingly.

      The solution is peace of mind.
      Go within. Deeply and silently
      within. A new perceptual
      condition will emerge and change the
      very nature of your problems.

      Your inner view is very different
      than the outer view. If you are
      seeking relief from tension and
      frustration, and feel intuitive
      stirrings that there must be
      more to life - you're right.

      Press on. Find a guide, find
      a lightbearer, find a meditation
      group. Don't settle for a life
      of frustration and tension.
      There is a place of pure joy,
      peace of mind and love and
      understanding - a place with
      no questions, nothing to figure
      out...just enjoyment of bliss.

      From this place, the solutions
      are obvious, the impact is
      brief and minimal, and the
      emotional loop greatly shortened.

      It is sumpremely practical,
      not a state of stupified
      beatitude. From clarity comes
      unfettered action - no thinking
      about should I, shouldn't I,
      but action, trust in your own
      judgment and integrity.

      From this place of inner peace,
      no one is able to emotionally
      manipulate you (see "guilt") or
      doubt your worth as a child of God.

      It's heaven on earth. It's the
      promise of the great Masters.

      Need a guru, do you?

      Jeff

      CHIYO-NI
      from <http://womensearlyart.net/chiyo/>

      Calligraphy, art, and haiku poetry by the Pure Land
      Buddhist nun Chiyo-ni (Kaga no Chiyo) (1703-1775)

      ~~

      Airing out kimonos
      as well as her heart
      is never enough

      ~~

      Again the women
      come to the fields
      with unkempt hair.

      ~~

      Just for today
      using men
      for rice-planting.

      ~~

      Rouged lips
      forgotton --
      clear spring water.

      ~~

      Putting up my hair
      no more
      my hands to the kotatsu

      ~~

      The morning glory!
      It has taken the well bucket
      I must ask elsewhere for water.

      From 'The Dharma Bums' by Jack Kerouac
      <http://www.litkicks.com/Texts/DharmaCamp.html>

      'There's nothing wrong with you Ray'

      (From Chapter 9: Japhy Ryder and Ray Smith are camping
      out after a day of mountain climbing)

      So we unpacked our packs and laid things out and smoked
      and had a good time. Now the mountains were getting that
      pink tinge, I mean the rocks, they were just solid rock
      covered with the atoms of dust accumulated there since
      beginningless time. In fact I was afraid of those jagged
      monstrosities all around and over our heads.

      'They're so silent!' I said.

      'Yeah man, you know to me a mountain is a Buddha. Think
      of the patience, hundreds of thousands of years just
      sitting there bein perfectly perfectly silent and like
      praying for all living creatures in that silence and
      just waiting for us to stop all our frettin and foolin.'
      Japhy got out the tea, Chinese tea, and sprinkled some
      in a tin pot, and had the fire going meanwhile, a small
      one to begin with, the sun was still on us, and stuck a
      long stick tight down under a few big rocks and made
      himself something to hang the teapot on and pretty soon
      the water was boiling and he poured it out steaming into
      the tin pot and we had cups of tea with our tin cups. I
      myself'd gotten the water from the stream, which was
      cold and pure like snow and the crystal-lidded eyes of
      heaven. Therefore, the tea was by far the most pure and
      thirstquenching tea I ever drank in all my life, it made
      you want to drink more and more, it actually quenched
      your thirst and of course it swam around hot in your
      belly.

      'Now you understand the Oriental passion for tea,' said
      Japhy. 'Remember that book I told you about the first
      sip is joy the second is gladness, the third is
      serenity, the fourth is madness, the fifth is ecstasy.'

      'Just about old buddy.'

      The rock we were camped against was a marvel. It was
      thirty feet high and thirty feet at base, a perfect
      square almost, and twisted trees arched over it u and
      peeked down on us. From the base it went outward,
      forming a concave, so if rain came we'd be partially
      covered. 'How did this immense sonumbitch ever get
      here?'

      'It probably was left here by the retreating glacier.
      See over there that field of snow?'

      'Yeah.'

      'That's the glacier what's left of it. Either that or
      this rock tumbled here from inconceivable prehistoric
      mountains we can't understand, or maybe it just landed
      here when the friggin mountain range itself burst out of
      the ground in the Jurassic upheaval. Ray when you're up
      here you're not sittin in a Berkeley tea room. This is
      the beginning and the end of the world right here. Look
      at all those patient Buddhas lookin at us saying
      nothing.'

      'And you come out here by yourself ...'

      'For weeks on end, just like John Muir, climb around all
      by myself following quartzite veins or making posies of
      flowers for my camp, or just walking around naked
      singing, and cook my supper and laugh.'

      'Japhy I gotta hand it to you, you're the happiest
      little cat in the world and the greatest by God you are.
      I'm sure glad I'm learning all this. This place makes me
      feel devoted, too, I mean, you know I have a prayer, did
      you know the prayer I use?'

      'What?'

      'I sit down and say, and I run all my friends and
      relatives and enemies one by one in this, without
      entertaining any angers or gratitudes or anything, and I
      say, like 'Japhy Ryder, equally empty, equally to be
      loved, equally a coming Buddha,' then I run on, say to
      'David O. Selznick, equally empty, equally to be loved,
      equally a coming Buddha' though I don't use names like
      David O. Selznick, just people I know because when I say
      the words 'equally a coming Buddha' I want to be
      thinking of their eyes, like you take Morley, his blue
      eyes behind those glasses, when you think 'equally a
      coming Buddha' you think of those eyes and you really do
      suddenly see the true secret serenity and the truth of
      his coming Buddhahood. Then you think of your enemy's
      eyes.'

      'That's great, Ray,' and Japhy took out his notebook and
      wrote down the prayer, and shook his head in wonder.
      'That's really really great. I'm going to teach this
      prayer to the monks I meet in Japan. There's nothing
      wrong with you Ray, your only trouble is you never
      learned to get out to spots like this, you've let the
      world drown you in its horseshit and you've been vexed
      ... though as I say comparisons are odious, but what
      we're sayin now is true.'

      In all of our memories no one had been so outspoken in
      poetry before -- we had gone beyond a point of no
      return. None of us wanted to go back to the gray, chill,
      militaristic silence, to the intellective void -- to the
      land without poetry -- to the spiritual drabness. We
      wanted to make it new and we wanted to invent it and the
      process of it as we went into it. We wanted voice and we
      wanted vision.

      --Michael McClure, from Scratching the Beat Surface