Highlights, Friday, October 1

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 1999
      A long cry at midnight, a dying cry.
      The young man sitting there says "that sound does not
      frighten me."
      He hears beyond his death fear to union.
      He says, "It's that time for the merging in me now".
      He jumps up and shouts to God, "if you can be human, come
      inside me now, or it is time to leave my body".
      The signal of a death yell splits him open.
      Gold pours down, many kinds, from all directions.
      The young man works all night carrying the gold away.
      If you think that I am talking about actual gold, then you
      are like children that pretend that pieces of broken dishes
      are money.
      This is the other gold that glows in your chest when you
      The young man is a moth who gambles himself and wins. A true
      human being is not human. This candle does not burn.
      It illuminates!

      Excerpts from "Rumi, We Are Three" by Coleman Barks

      --contributed by Ben

      >From Chuang tzu Chapter 6;

      "Real people of ancient times did not oppose minorities, did
      not lionize success, and did not scheme things up. Being
      thus, they were not sorry when they were wrong, and they
      were not smug when they were right.
      So they were not frightened in high places, did not get wet
      in water, were not scorched by fire.

      This is how knowledge can ascend to the Way.
      Real people of ancient times slept without dreams, and awoke
      without worries. Their food was not sweet, their breathing
      was very deep.
      Real people breathe from their heels; ordinary people
      breathe from their throats.

      Those who are stifled speak from their throats as if
      choking. Those whose cravings and desires are deep are
      shallow in their celestial potential.

      Real people of ancient times did not know to like life and
      hate death. They came to life without rejoicing andwent to
      death without resisting; they simply came unencumbered and
      went unencumbered. They did not forget their beginnings or
      look for their end. They accepted their lot gladly, then
      returned it without minding.

      This is called not diminishing the Way by the mind, not
      trying to help the divine by means of the human. Such are
      called real people.
      Those who are thus have a focused mind, a quiet countenance,
      and a relaxed brow. They are cool as autumn, warm as
      spring; their emotions correspond to the four seasons. They
      have expedients for dealing with people, and none know their

      --contributed by Andrew

      I was walking down the street last night and just paying
      attention. But this time the attention went much deeper and
      there was not a trace of judgment or any attempts to get
      away from the thoughts&feelings. It was so quiet as I heard
      all those thoughts, on and on.

      What was different was that I really saw that thought was
      ultimately about fear. Every single thought seemed to come
      out of fear. Even the thought that I had to get some food
      at the grocery store. These thoughts seemed to have a panic
      quality -- always trying to get something or to 'cover my
      ass' constantly. it's subtle. amazing.

      I also noticed something important for me. In addition to
      judgment blocking this clear observation, I am often not
      able to see due to analysis. (ha, ha -- too much therapy
      {the joke's on me}. So last night for some reason, I backed
      up about 20 steps and really saw what was going on NOW. Not
      what I thought was going on. Does that make sense?
      Although it may not sound like much for anyone else, it's
      quite a revelation for me.

      You have to get so close to "yourself" to see it. Truly,
      the reaching outward is in the wrong direction. It's just
      that I didn't realize it was so close as to actually become
      it. And don't ask me to explain that. I can't. Those
      words came from some place else.

      Perhaps a person to person meeting with Greg, a one on one
      chat with Mira last night and a 'personal' email from Dave
      have opened some doors. Also, on Monday nite around 3 am I
      awoke and out of the blue and thought, "all of my thoughts
      are the past!". then i went back to sleep.

      ...it seems that stand-up comedians (and comediennes) are
      our fast-paced society's alternative to the old 'guru trip.'
      I think Tim Leary, back in the '60s, coined the title
      "stand-up philosopher" to describe the unique work he was
      doing, viz., bringing metaphysical truth to the masses
      through humor and outrageous behavior.

      A really great comic, such as Steven Wright ... can show us
      truth that we wouldn't have the patience to listen to coming
      from a dull, dry old teacher. There are very few comics
      like this.

      Lenny Bruce was certainly one, and there was a wonderful
      retrospective on his t.v. work last month at the Museum of
      Television and Radio in Beverly Hills. It showed 90 minutes
      of his television appearances with such people as Steve
      Allen (another "stand-up philospher"). He was the first to
      bring an incisive social consciousness to comedy, and thus
      his controversiality.

      Andy Kaufman was another. I'm looking forward to "Man on
      the Moon."

      "I remember the day I got drunk and flung open the doors to
      the ladies room. Wait a minute, sorry, that was the day I
      flung open the doors of perception."