Saturday, October 5, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2002

      know yourself in the vastest sense!
      in deepest meditation
      discriminate between
      being
      and
      arising
      *

      Brother Void
      What is to give light must endure burning.
      —Victor Frankel

      Many of us have set out on the path of enlightenment. We long for a release of selfhood in some kind of mystical union with all things. But that moment of epiphany — when we finally see the whole pattern and sense our place in the cosmic web — can be a crushing experience from which we never fully recover.

      Compassion hurts. When you feel connected to everything, you also feel responsible for everything. You can not turn away. Your destiny is bound to the destinies of others. You must either learn to carry the Universe or be crushed by it. You must grow strong enough to love the world, yet empty enough to sit down at the same table with its worst horrors.

      To seek enlightenment is to seek annihilation, rebirth, and the taking up of burdens. You must come prepared to touch and be touched by each and every thing in heaven and hell.

      I am One with the Universe and it hurts.

      shiv e   Centre Of Friends

      Osho-based e-zine: http://www.mysticcommune.com/mystic.htm

      Gary Merrill   Consciousness Is All

      Silent contemplation is not the pursuit of 'silence' of some
      experience called silence.

      It is not the contemplation of 'silence' of some thing.

      Rather silent contemplation happens when there is nothing left to
      contemplate.

      Junior   GuruRatings

      http://www.newagegossip.co.uk/

      On-line book   Christianity in the East/West Dialogue

      Chapter 7: A Dialogue With Nonduality?

      http://innerexplorations.com/catew/christia.htm

      The Way of the Wacko   Utne Reader

      http://utne.com/bPractSeeker.tmpl?command=search&db=dArticle.db&eqheadlinedata=The%20Way%20of%20the%20Wacko

      Ram Dass   Review of latest book

      http://www.spiritualityhealth.com/newsh/items/bookreview/item_5139.html

      Nisargadatta : I Am That

      Nothing can be done without love.

      http://www.mpeters.de/nisargadatta/index.cfm

      Christiana sends notice of a coupla books:

      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1842930281/qid=1033851338/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/102-9665338-5474560

      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/193072201X/qid%3D1033868051/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/102-9665338-5474560

      Hur Guler   NDS

      your face is neither
      infinite nor ephemeral.
      you can never see your own face,
      only a reflection
      not the face itself.

      so you sigh
      in front of mirrors
      and cloud the surface.

      it's better to keep
      your breath cold.
      hold it, like a diver
      does in the ocean.
      one slight movement,
      the mirror-image goes.

      don't be dead
      or asleep or awake
      don't be anything.

      what you most want
      what you travel around
      wishing to find,
      lose yourself
      as lovers lose themselves
      and you'll be that.

      --Attar
      version by coleman barks

      ps. attar and sanai were perhaps two of the most influential figures
      on rumi. this is not a cut&paste. i typed this poem from the "rumi
      and the mystical sufi poets"
      2002 calendar by the freer gallery of art, smithsonian
      institution.

      Michael Read   Meditation Society of America

      I would like to add that when we meditate we look within not only to find
      forgiveness but to be forgiveness. At some point, like you say it is usually
      earlier than not, the meditator is confronted with their darker nature. This is
      an indication that we are learning to be honest with ourselves. After all, who
      should know better than us all the shitty things we've done. All the times we
      failed and felt miserable and alone.

      But when we fall into depression and despair, we can feel that we are alone
      with our pain and guilt. And it sucketh, yeah verily yeah. And we wonder just
      what the hell God is thinking of to create so much pain, misery and sorrow.

      Hell, a body can get so low that a jackhammer up the butt won't hardly cause a
      stir. A mumble, mabey, but hardly a stir.

      On the other hand a person can get so blissed out that sharp blows to the head
      won't hardly phase them. Cain't knock em off - they in hebben already. :-)

      Ever felt so low that you knew you had been cheated out of dying?
      Ever feel like all the butterflies and humming birds were just for you?
      Ever wonder what your pet is thinking?
      Do you think that something must be done about it all?
      If you could save the world, would you? If so, who for? Who from?
      Will someone please come and save the world?
      What if the world were saved and you missed it?
      Bummer.

      Suppose one fine day that you sit down to meditate or, say go for a walk, or
      perhaps just doing some chores around the place - BOOM - the big enchilada
      bonifide big E el numero Uno Awakening happens. That gauzy thin creation you
      thought was you gets parted and lo and behold there You are.

      Hey! You been There, or shall we say Here, before!
      Well well well.
      And so it goes.

      no heaven
      no hell
      just this
      abundance

      no matter who we are
      what we have done
      what we have left undone
      no matter how deeply we fear
      how gloriously we love,
      who are we when we forget
      that we are only life
      that we have only so many heartbeats
      so many days
      so many seconds
      that we are life's gift to itself

      no matter our mood our heart keeps on beating
      in great excitement our heart will knock against our ribs
      and life becomes so intense! ah.

      that greater self seekers hope to find
      is what is there, closer than those heartbeats

      oh yeah, on the road to finding out that you are already what you seek, develop
      a taste for irony. it will help. :-)

      Tea?
      Anyone?

      michael

      ps and classes on self love can be good for you. you gotta start somewhere.

      Al Larus   True Vision

      You must still be a child.
      Playing on the beach
      of future waves.