Thursday, October 4, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2002

      'Autumn' by Jeff Belyea: <http://www.mindgoal.com/needgurudoyou.html>

      #1216 - Thursday, October 4, 2002 -  Edited by Jerry - Home: <http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm>

      GABRIELE EBERT
      from HarshaSatsangh

      Hunting the'I', 1

      Dear All,  Lucie Cornelssen's book Hunting the 'I' gives
      many good approches  to self enquiry and also good
      explanations to the spiritual path in general  as taught
      by Ramana Maharshi.

      On 2 Ramana-groups I have started to post out of Hunting
      the 'I'-, so this is not new  to members from there. But
      I think it's worthy to be posted here also. -  Comments
      welcome!

      First let's have a short look on who she was:

      Lucie Cornelssen was born in Germany at the end of the
      19th century.  During the second world war the only
      German book on Sri Ramana which was available was  from
      the Indologist Heinrich Zimmer "Der Weg zum Selbst"
      which made  great impression on her. She felt very much
      drawn to Bhagavan and  decided to utilize her linguistic
      and writing talents (she was a professional writer )  to
      translate more of Sri Bhagavan's words into German.
      With no Tamil teacher to help her, she spent two years
      in an hermitage in a German forest.  When she finally
      felt able to read and understand the Tamil, she
      translated some  of Ramana's teaching into German.

      In the Fiftieth she decided to make a pilgrimage to
      Arunachala and took  her manuscripts with her. She laid
      the manuscript on  Bhagavan's samadhi. Soon afterwards a
      German publisher was interested in  and the book came
      out.  She spent several months living alone in a small
      shrine near the Pradakshina  road, a few miles from the
      Ashram spending her time with sadhana.  Later she stayed
      near Ramanashram and was a well known figure there.
      Besides a short Ramana-Biography and translations of the
      Talks in German  she wrote "Hunting the 'I', which
      appeared in English and German edition. Here she also
      gives some practical advice and explanations on self
      inquiry.

      in Sri Ramana
      Gabriele

      ******************

      This pure be-ing 'I am' is the first glimpse of the real
      'I', the Self, which is by nature Pure Consciousness.

      When your attention is keen, then you will discover
      simultanously that there is not now and never has been
      a wrong 'I'. It has always been the same 'real I', only
      your  mind has covered it up with the idea which it has
      about  your 'person'.

      There are other opportunities, when we could experience
      this  pure 'I' consciously. One such is during the tiny
      gap between  two thoughts, when the attention has given
      up its hold on one  thought and not yet caught the next
      one. But since we never  tried our attention is not
      trained this way, and we will hardly  succeed in the
      attempt.

      There is a better chance to catch it between sleeping
      and awaking.  It is very important to try it, if you are
      serious in your hunting the 'I'.  Take care of a few
      conditions: Try at night just before you fall  asleep to
      keep as the last thought your intention to catch as  the
      first thing of all on waking in the morning the
      experience  of your true 'I'.

      Another condition: You should take care not to awaken
      too abruptly  such as by an alarm clock, and also not to
      jump headlong into your  daily morning routine. The
      moment you awake, don't stir, but  remember your
      intention from last night.

      You will succeed after a few attempts. And what is
      possible once  even for a moment can be extended by
      practice.

      This experiment gives you the advantage that you now
      know the  aim of your endeavour. It will help you in
      your further sadhana like  leavening in the dough.

      Lucy Cornelssen: Hunting the 'I', p. 25f

      FRANCES HUNTER
      from Daily Dharma

      "It is essential to learn to confront the less pleasant
      aspects of existence. Our job as meditators is to learn
      to be patient with ourselves, to see ourselves in an
      unbiased way, complete with all our sorrows and
      inadequacies. We have to learn to be kind to ourselves.
      In the long run, avoiding unpleasantness is a very
      unkind thing to do to yourself. Paradoxically, kindness
      entails confronting unpleasantness when it arises. One
      popular human strategy for dealing with difficulty is
      autosuggestion: when something nasty pops up, you
      convince yourself it is pleasant rather than unpleasant.
      The Buddha's tactic is quite the reverse. Rather than
      hide it or disguise it, the Buddha's teaching urges you
      to examine it to death. Buddhism advises you not to
      implant feelings that you don't really have or avoid
      feelings that you do have. If you are miserable you are
      miserable; this is the reality, that is what is
      happening, so confront that. Look it square in the eye
      without flinching. When you are having a bad time,
      examine the badness, observe it mindfully, study the
      phenomenon and learn its mechanics. The way out of a
      trap is to study the trap itself, learn how it is built.
      You do this by taking the thing apart piece by piece.
      The trap can't trap you if it has been taken to pieces.
      The result is freedom."
      --by H. Gunaratana Mahathera.

      DAVID BOZZI
      from various lists

      Is it hard?

      Such a futile question
      if pertaining to Picasso
      and translated as,
      “Is dipping a brush in a puddle of paint
      and stroking it upon canvas hard?”

      Or equally translated as asking Beethoven,
      “Is it hard to take your finger and strike
      a keyboard pad...?”

      Why ask the carpenter
      if banging a nail
      requires skill?

      Why ask the master chef
      if mixing one edible ingredient
      with another
      in and of itself is hard?

      Such a foolish question
      reserved only for the fool
      with the inability to
         ...see

         ...listen

         ...relax

         ...or taste

      the very stuff of Life.

      That in and of Itself
      requires skill
      far beyond the one consumed
      by physical existence.

      As my Master
      once said to me
      with regard to music
      for instance,

      Not only is it as important
      as how the single single note
      is struck,

      but also is the space between the next one
      to be heard...

      Such is the Wisdom of  Everything
      and Everything thereon after...

      The only real question that
      forever thereon remains is,

      “Do you have the Eye to see?

      the Ear to hear?

      the Touch to feel?

      or the the Bud to taste?”

      Such represent different forms
      of the only real and only Question
      that have any meaning at all...

      Do You have the Space
      for Awareness to inquire...?

      from The Bangkok Post

      Police bid to instill Buddhist principles

      Anucha Charoenpo

      In a bid to wipe out corruption from the country's
      police force, tens of thousands of officers nationwide
      will be asked to enter temples and live as monks for an
      unspecified period in the hope they will see the error
      of their ways.

      Assistant national police chief Pol Lt-Gen Udom Charoen
      said he planned to introduce the programme after
      receiving many complaints from the public about officers
      who had chosen not to charge influential or wealthy
      suspects.

      ``We cannot prosecute corrupt police officers without
      evidence,'' he said. ``The only thing we can do is try
      to change their behaviour by encouraging them to adopt
      Buddhist principles and practice meditation.''

      Pol Lt-Gen Udom hoped to attract at least 20,000
      officers to the programme, under which they would be
      required to live in the manner of monks, rising early
      for meditation and prayers, and attending daily sermons.

      Miss Tibet

      What do you think?
      http://www.misstibet.com./

      Commentary here: <http://www.guardian.co.uk/gender/story/0,11812,804211,00.html>

      Also read about Dalai Lama's trip to China:
      <http://www.voanews.com/article.cfm?objectID=3665109A-D917-40C0-8C6F62FB687FDADD>

      Buddhist miracle in Siberia
      Steven Lee Myers
      The New York Times, Wednesday, October 2, 2002

      Lama's body is intact, 75 years after his death

      IVOLGINSK, Russia

      A miracle has occurred here in  Siberia. Or it may be a
      hoax. Others believe science can  explain it. It is a
      question, it seems, of faith. . The  story begins in
      1927, when a spiritual leader of  Russia's Buddhists
      gathered his students and announced  his plans to die.
      The leader, Dashi-Dorzho Itigilov, the  12th Pandito
      Hambo Lama, then 75 and retired, instructed  those
      gathered around him to "visit and look at my body"  in
      30 years. . He crossed his legs into the lotus
      position, began to meditate and, chanting a prayer for
      the dead, died. . The years that followed were difficult
       for all faiths in Russia, including the Buddhists here
      in Buryatia, an impoverished Siberian region on the
      Mongolian border.

      [large amount of text deleted. Read entire article here:
      <http://www.iht.com/articles/72411.html>]

      Ayusheyev  says the body was preserved because Itigilov
      achieved a  heightened state of existence through
      meditation known  as shunyata, or emptiness. . He
      acknowledged that there  would be skepticism. When
      greeted with it, he relented  on his own order and led a
      visitor into the temple to  the darkened chamber where
      Itigilov sits atop a simple  table, surrounded by
      candles and metal bowls holding  oils. . The lamas have
      dressed his body in a golden  robe, with a blue sash
      laid across his lap. His eyes are  closed, his features
      blurred, though the shape of his  face and his nose
      certainly resemble the 1913  photograph. His hands
      remain flexible, his nails  perfectly trimmed. His skin
      is leathery but soft. His  head is still covered in
      short-trimmed hair. . "Many  people don't see what's
      obvious," Ayusheyev said. "Many  people won't understand
      even if they see him."

      New study links spirituality with social work

      <http://www.dailytrojan.com/article.do?issue=/V147/N25&id=02-new.25c.html>

      JAN BARENDRECHT
      from NDS and others

      A few anagrams of 'peace relationships':

      cheap personalities
      appreciate holiness
      cheapens polarities

      neat policies phrase