Wednesday, October 2, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2002
      #1215 - Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - Edited by Jerry - Home: <http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm>

      TERRY MURPHY
      from SufiMystic list

      "I wish others can speak of what Nisargadatta recommended to
      seekers who could not stay in his pressence and who did not have a
      guru to sit with. Are we to believe that he never hinted at a
      practice that would allow the seeker to continue, away from the
      Guru, towards Self-realization." --Cornelius

      The problem often lies in the goal more than the absence of
      means. "Progress" toward enlightenment, something which is
      instantaneous, is an illusion. Nonetheless we can have faith in
      our fundamental enlightenment, and practice.

      The concept of a 'shovel,' or spiritual tools, is not without some
      merit. In buddhism, the idea is to maintain a condition of
      'mindfulness' at all times. We know we are mindful or on track
      with this when the mind presents us with a continuous series of
      insights. So mindfulness may be regarded as method, and insight
      as the fruits of this method (remembering that these words are
      only expedients, and you must get the idea for yourself of what
      these things - Dharmas - are all about.

      If mindfulness is what we want to maintain, then 'falling asleep'
      is the problem, and being asleep is the condition that we want to
      awaken from, through insight and the practice of mindfulness. So
      we meditate, read the sutras, and so forth. All these are
      'shovels' for digging out our treasure, part of our spiritual
      toolkit. To this end one may develop a personal collection of
      'spritiual alarm clocks,' various ideas or methods which tend to
      wake us up, rembering that monotony tends to put us to sleep and
      variability tends to enliven us.

      Virtually anything can be used as an 'alarm clock' in this manner,
      depending on the individual. Perhaps you have a fault that you
      want to struggle with; say, you get angry at a coworker or your
      wife in some pushbutton way. If you can observe the same negative
      behavior occurring every time a certain set of circumstances
      comes about, you can fixate on that behavior and resolve to
      observe it carefully - not necessarily change it, because
      mindfulness is our aim, not behavior modification. Then this
      event, this recurring anger, becomes a spiritual alarm clock and
      makes us mindful of ourselves whenever it occurs. Of course, even
      without the effort of behavior modification, enough observation
      induces a degree of mindfulness that causes us to alter stupid,
      button-pushing behaviors, and we need to find another alarm clock
      to keep us awake.

      Gurdjieff referred to our less than mindful condition as
      'mechanical,' and recommended the process of 'self-remembering'
      (what sufis know as *dhikr*). So there is nothing new about the
      above suggestion, but it is by no means a spiritual platitude,
      but a practical activity, genuine 'practice.' And there are many
      others.

      The important thing is to avoid the idea of 'progress,' which in
      Zen can be referred to as 'polishing a brick to make a mirror.'
      Simply maintain ordinary mindfulness. Avoid mechanicalness,
      day-dreaming, sleeping through life playing tapes of yourself
      responding to life, what Joyce called "rite words in rote
      behavior." Stay awake, be mindful, and everything around you will
      appear to be a constant unfolding of insight. When you are there,
      you will know it; when you feel that you are not, have faith and
      keep practicing mindfulness, watching your feelings and thoughts
      as they change one into another. And don't get bored and fall
      asleep - keep inventing new alarm clocks, and attacking the most
      obvious examples in your own life of mechanical behavior by
      aggressively observing how they come about.

      Surely there are others here who can recommend practices they find
      useful in maintaining or enhancing simple awareness?

      JAN BARENDRECHT
      from NDS and other lists

      fox thanks for the laugh
      friendly even toothless still
      ultimate sheep's fear
      in its frame of mind called 'zoo'
      foxes game called 'peekaboo'

      STACY
      from The Other Syntax list

      He said that the value of the new seers; method of teaching is
      that it takes advantage of the fact that no one can remember
      anything  that happens while being in a state of heightened
      awareness. This  inability to remember sets up an almost
      insurmountable barrier for  warriors, who have to recollect all
      the instruction given to them if  they are to go on. Only after
      years of struggle and discipline can  warriors recollect their
      instruction. By then the concepts and the  procedures that were
      taught to them have been internalized and have  thus acquired the
      force the new seers meant them to have.

      The New Seers
      THE FIRE FROM WITHIN
      Carlos Castaneda

      Chickisms

      <http://www.spiritualchicks.com/Chickisms.htm>

      Nothing knocks
      (And rocks)

      Nonduality

      In a box

      RICHIE
      from Being One

      Jim and Mary were both patients in a mental hospital.

      One day while they were walking past the hospital swimming pool,

      Jim suddenly jumped into the deep end. He sunk to the bottom of
      the pool and stayed there.

      Mary promptly jumped in to save him. She swam to the bottom and
      pulled Jim out.

      When the medical director became aware of Mary's heroic act he
      immediately ordered

      her to be discharged from the hospital, as he now considered her
      to be mentally stable.

      When he went to tell Mary the news he said, "Mary, I have good
      news and bad news.

      The good news is you're being discharged because since you were
      able to jump in and save

      the life of another patient, I think you've regained your senses.

      The bad news is, Jim, the patient you saved, hung himself with his
      bathrobe belt in the bathroom.

      I am so sorry, but he's dead."

      Mary replied "He didn't hang himself, I put him there to dry.