Saturday, September 28, 2002

  • Christiana Duranczyk
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29 11:45 PM

      Highlights #1211
      Saturday, September 28, 2002
      Editor: Christiana

      Gloria wrote in NDS: 1986 On 10th January, before
      departing for Los Angeles, Krishnamurti bid farewell to
      everyone. He was diagnosed with cancer. On 17th February
      at 12:10 p.m., Krishnamurti breathed his last at Ojai,
      California.

      Just three days before he died, Krishnamurti sadly confided
      to one of Rajneesh's disciples, "I have wasted my life.
      People listened to me as if I were an entertainer."

      Sarlo: This fate -- not the "wasted my life," but a certain
      disappointment -- came to some extent to Osho as well,
      though he also played the entertainer consciously. This was
      expressed reportedly in the last blowout four months of his
      physical existence when he came out every night to throw
      some energy around. The format was a wild energy
      celebration with chaotic music, mostly drumming for twenty
      minutes or so, some silence, then another ten mins of
      energy/music before he left, followed by a video of one of his
      old discourses (he was no longer speaking in public).

      Night after night people would get up and leave after the
      energy blowout to skip the video. (This was not because of
      the repetitiveness of the videos, since there are enough of
      them to run five years without repetition). Osho wanted to
      create something, with the video as part of it, so he asked,
      via his secretary Anando, that people stay for the video. Still
      most got up to leave, including many in the "front rows,"
      where the old-timer privileged ones sat. Anando asked
      repeatedly, saying, "He wants you to stay for the video," but
      still they left. Finally she had to tell everyone that if they left,
      their passes would be taken away. It was only after this
      "threat" that people complied.

      I believe the perceptions of wasting life and disappointment
      are in some ways a casualty of the changing paradigm of the
      master-disciple game. Both K and O wanted to open it up, to
      both shake off the centuries-old accretions thereto and make
      a space for freedom-loving westerners to participate in an
      eastern-style spiritual quest. But the point of Osho's last
      book, The Zen Manifesto," subtitled "Freedom From
      Oneself," and one of his most popular, "Meditation, the First
      and Last Freedom," and Krishnamurti's "Freedom From the
      Known," and "The First And Last Freedom" seems not to
      have been much assimilated. It seems that most of these
      "freedom-loving" westerners could not get past their
      freedom to cling to old habits.

      Viorica Weissman MillionPaths@yahoogroups.com
      from the Other Syntax group

      Don Juan said that the nagual Elias had explained to him
      that what distinguishes normal people is that we share a
      metaphorical dagger: the concerns of our self-reflection.
      With this dagger, we cut ourselves and bleed; and the job of
      our chains of self-reflection is to give us the feeling that we
      are bleeding together, that we are sharing something
      wonderful: our humanity. But if we were to examine it, we
      would discover that we are bleeding alone; that we are not
      sharing anything; that all we are doing is toying with our
      manageable, unreal, man-made self-reflection.

      "Sorcerers are no longer in the world of daily affairs," don
      Juan went on, "because they are no longer prey to their
      self-reflection."

      The Descent of the Spirit THE POWER OF SILENCE
      Carlos Castaneda

      Harsha HarshaSatsangh@yahoogroups.com

      Above all in the last periods of her life, she traveled a
      lot and had encountered very important people. She would
      sometimes receive visiting cards from many people. She
      too had a visiting card and would give it to others. The card
      had written:

      The fruit of silence is the prayer,

      The fruit of the prayer is the faith,

      The fruit of faith is love,

      The fruit of love is the service,

      The fruit of service is peace.

      Mother Theresa.

      A bit of an addition to a previous post to prevent
      misunderstanding...

      Use of the senses does not go against nature ..., neither
      physical nor spiritual nature. As I said, this is a sentiment
      one so often sees professed in ill formed understandings of
      Buddhist scriptures and their commentaries and, I might
      add, just as much in older Christian and Hinduist literature.

      The five skandas comprise of the five (notice the vertical and
      horizontal order):
      1 . elements (earth, water, fire, air, space),
      2 . aggregates (solid, liquid, plasmic, vapour, sound),
      3 . senses (touching, tasting, seeing, smelling, hearing),
      4 . organs of perception. (hands, mouth, eyes, nose, ear) or the
      5 . attributes (rupa, samskara, sanjna, vedana, vijnana, (five
      from a range of twelve nidanas).

      Notice that the above five series of skandas can be divided
      into two groups, the top two are the material skandas that
      are perceived, the bottom three are the facultative skandas
      that are used to perceive with.

      When the Heart Sutra refers to the skandas and claims that
      they are empty, just as form is empty it refers at first to the
      faculties of perception... They are indeed empty in the sense
      that as they are the instruments to measure with they are
      initially without data or empty. (Remember that maya means
      literally "measurable matter"). Whatever data they register
      then goes to the sixth sense, which I suggest is actually the
      meaning of "samskara", the action of mentally putting
      together the fragmented information as supplied by the
      sense organs. (The Buddha identified this sixth sense as
      such.)

      The Heart Sutra claims that what-we-measure-with is empty
      and that-what-is-measured is form. The synthesis of this
      culminates in Form is Emptiness, Emptiness is Form.

      Wim (Pretty dry stuff this, no really high-falutin spirituality
      about this...)

      I guess if "nothing" does not include "everything"
      it would be duality.

      Ken Wilber

      Bad Gardens copy, good gardens create, great gardens
      transcend. What all great gardens have in common are their
      ability to pull the sensitive viewer out of him or herself and
      into the garden, so completely that the separate self-sense
      disappears entirely, and at least for a brief moment one is
      ushered into a nondual and timeless awareness. A great
      garden, in other words, is mystical no matter what its actual
      content. - Ken Wilbur, Grace and Grit, 1991, p. 109.

       Non-dual

      “The entire World process then arises, moment to moment
      as one’s own Being, outside of which, and prior to which,
      nothing exists. That Being is totally beyond and prior to
      anything that arises, and yet no part of that Being is other
      than what arises.

      And so: as the center of the self was shown to be Archetype,
      and as the center of Archetype was shown to be
      Formlessness- so the center of Formlessness is shown to
      be not other than the entire world of Form. “Form is no other
      than Void, Void is not other than Form” says the most
      famous Buddhist Sutra (called the Heart Sutra).”

      Atman Project pg.86

      “This is also sahaja samadhi; the Turiya state, the
      Svabhavikaya- the ultimate Unity, wherein all things and
      events, while remaining perfectly separate and distinct, are
      only One. Therefore, this is not a special state- it is rather the
      suchness of all states, the water that forms itself in each and
      every wave of experience, as all experience. It cannot be
      seen, because it is everything, it cannot be heard, because it
      is hearing; it cannot be remembered because it only is. By
      the same token, this is the radically perfect integration of all
      prior levels- gross, subtle, and causal, which, now of
      themselves so, continue to arise moment to moment in an
      irridescent play of mutual interpenetrations. This is the final
      differentiation of Consciousness from all forms in
      Consciousness, whereupon Consciousness as Such is
      released in Perfect Transcendence, which is not a
      transcendence from the world but a final transcendence as
      the world.”

      Atman Project pg.86

      We think and feel as though we are a human being longing
      for a spiritual experience. Truth is, we are a spiritual being
      who has 'mistakenly assumed ownership of a series of
      human experiences. Stop the ownership.

      Stop the ownership does not mean thinking 'i am' 'i am' 'i
      am', banging head-first into walls. It means reduce the object
      of perception, reduce object of thought to where only the Self
      remains. Then rise up and perform action without the burden
      of ownership. From the Bhagavad Gita - - "Established in
      Being, perform action." This 'being established' is not on the
      level of thinking, but on the level of 'being'. This is perhaps
      the only accomplishment easier done than said.

      Consciousness individuates
      by attributing being to its percepts
      abstracting self as perceiver;
      other as perceived.

      Undifferentiated knowing
      stalks the world known
      with infinitely faceted compound eye
      espying countless limbs of identification
      with this or that aspect
      of rapidly condensing reality.

      This writhing medusa is
      animated by recollection and anticipation
      mediated by describing
      regulated by thinking.

      As one is unseen
      a self is imagined
      in and of the perceived.

      Miraculous hubris
      endows this self
      with autonomous will.

      Knowledge and existence
      coincide in experience
      here now.

      Judgment contingent upon knowledge
      is anterior to existence,
      though harmoniously coincident.

      The same is true of reasoning
      including that presumed herein.

      In what-is
      every expression
      is one knowing.

      All is one
      even as
      one is all.

      ~ tomas

      All effort at controlling thoughts, appetites and desires
      cannot but strengthen them along with the ego. Whatever
      has to go must fall off by itself. All that you are concerned
      with, all that you are, is the impersonal functioning of
      understanding. So let that understanding work through
      witnessing without judgment, knowing that there is nothing
      else that you can do.

      Meditation and all such methods and efforts are distractions
      from simply abiding in the natural state which is one's
      limitless, real being.

      ~ Ramesh Balsekar

      Autumn Haiku and Empty Space
      from David Hodges' site

      "The inner cannot be held in words."

         Still lonelier
      than last year;
          autumn evening.
      ~ Buson

         Eating a meal
      in loneliness,
          The autumn wind blowing.
      ~ Issa

         On a bare branch
      A crow settles
          Autumn dusk
      ~ Basho

         An autumn eve;
      Along this road
          Goes no one.
      ~ Basho

      http://www.city.kasugai.aichi.jp/kensetsu/seisaku/keikan/hyaku/h003-e.html

      When walking up the path from the garden of Utsutsu Shrine
      to "Sumirezuka",you will see an array of stone
      monuments.These monuments carry "Haiku" poems
      dedicated to Matsuo Basho an ancient "Haiku"poet.

      http://www.uoregon.edu/~kohl/basho/4-muronoyashima/04.html

      Understanding, or freedom itself is not to be found in
      feelings.

      A 'you' can feel this way, a 'you' can feel that way, a 'you' can
      feel miserable, a 'you' can feel blissful, a 'you' can have a
      quiet, blank mind, makes no difference, because there is still
      a 'you'.

      Understanding lies in the recognition of that whole adventure
      of being 'you'.

      In truth, there is no 'you'. There is only consciousness,
      freedom. So, when a 'you' realizes this, and it can be quite a
      shock, because it's death, the connection is cut, the
      adventure is brought to an end, and understood for what it is,
      and identity of the living being, is then shifted out of
      separateness into consciousness itself, which was always
      already there in the first place. From this point of view, time
      is no more, immortality is realized, and life in Truth is
      understood and enjoyed. There is no such thing as a
      'separate'. There is no time, there is only and always 'now'.
      It's always been this way. There is only this Enjoyment, it's
      the only alternative. It's what's for lunch. :-)

      "Without the road there is only mud, without management
      there is only chaos, without a mind there is only madness.
      Without chaos there comes no perfection. Without duality
      there is no union of heart."

      The acknowledgement that the notion of "i am the doer" is a
      conclusion arising after the readiness for action has arisen,
      illustrates how 'conditioning' works: false notions ready to
      comment on every event. That is the problem: mind-chatter
      even 'under the surface' of relative quietude: seemingly no
      peace.

      Hence practices to quiet the mind or to override it's turmoil
      by a less unpleasant activity - is but postponement of the
      inevitable observation, that no activity by itself is satisfactory
      nor can give peace. So all effort regarding "worldly
      pleasures" then drops by itself as does the search for
      "enlightenment".

      overheard on NDS

      Goran: Who said that nothing does something? Nothing is
      just witnessing of something.

      Dan: What do you think you're witnessing?

      Goran: a witnessing is not a doing. While witnessing there is
      no "I".

      Jody: Wrong.

      Witnessing is an activity which requires a witness to be
      watching something.

      If there is something witnessed, then there is an "I"
      witnessing it.

      Mist moving over the Water

      If the moon is reflecting the sun to itself,
      each are doing what they are meant to do and are one...

      For me, the dance is like a light mist moving over the water.

      The water realizes it actually is touching
      and becoming the mist.

      The water tries to hold on to its former self-contained reality,
      but this matters less and less.

      The water has its place in the scheme of things
      but learns it has never been self-contained.

      It's the movement of the mist -- at first seeming relatively
      unreal that gets more and more real...everything begins to
      reverse -- the water is there for the sake of the mist :-) and
      then, the water becomes another aspect of the mist -- then,
      there is only the mist

      It is solitary only in the sense of no self or other... to me, it
      can't be considered "alone" as humans mean this term...
      because what does "alone" mean when there never has nor
      will be another?

      So our words become mist... moving and circulating
      neither for the sake of self or other...

      Daoist poetry gems from

      Poems of Harold Stewart
      with commentary by Barry Leckenby

      The traditional patterns of rising before dawn, working in the
      fields during the day, and going home at sunset as the
      farm-house windows begin to light up like stars - “spark by
      spark,” show nature and man coalescing. In this union the
      farmers gather significance by connecting to the seasonal
      patterns, which are subtly, if not intuitively, followed in daily
      practice; and life itself as they age toward “autumnal
      ripeness.” The passing shadow of the crow, like the passing
      shadow of the day, cannot be seized: just as the cycle of
      nature cannot be stilled. Having reaped the harvest the
      farmers go home to enjoy an evening meal and a hot bath.
      The darkness ushers in the night and the creeping damp
      signals that autumn is giving way to winter, leaving the valley
      dormant with mist.

      My weakness feels the strange resistless strength

      Of Faith flow in, that will prevail at length;

      While all my restless questions are resigned,

      And silence has absorbed the noisy mind.

      Night falls and Wu needs to find a place to rest. “The
      mountain’s secret presence at this hour / Yields a serene
      and sanctifying power / To heal the exhausted spirit,” and
      with this invigorating power, having found a temple to rest in,
      Wu concentrates his spiritual energies. The peace and
      silence of the temple favours meditation:

      His breathing is hushed and held, his posture still,

      Unheeded on the cushion, long he kneels

      Aware of Emptiness alone. . . . .

      I fled not from the world, but into it.

      "We seek no mystic union, / No sudden flash of Truth. /
      Instead, we quiet our voices / And hold fast to the Way; / We
      let the Tao flow in us..."

      Alan Kuntz alankuntz@...

      Meditation and study group Portland,Oregon

      Hello meditators,aspiring buddha's,contemplative,nondualist
      kundalinites!

      I am interested in starting a group meditation and study
      group here in Portland ,Oregon.This group would meet once
      a week to begin with.We would begin each group with a half
      hour group meditation.The meditation practice will be of your
      choice,Your resonance.If you don't have a practice or
      method and want to learn one we will offer insight to those
      who are beginners as to which method would be right for
      them..We would do this,talk,study ,dialogue for a half hour
      followed by a half hour sitting. Anyways I am posting this to a
      number of groups here at yahoo groups.Please pass this
      note on to those who might be receptive.

      Innovation Network  wakeup@...

      Janina Fisher Balfour

      Last week I decided that I would begin to live from a new
      possibility: the possibility that whoever I connect with in the
      course of a day, that I would be the best part of their day.
      What an amazing transformation it's brought about in me! If
      somebody is rude to me... how do I get to act in return? If
      somebody cuts me off while driving, what's my response? I
      now pay more attention to each interaction - with the gas
      station attendant, the cashier at the grocery, the people I
      pass by as I ride my bicycle every morning.

      'When you lose the rhythm of the drumbeat of God, you are
      lost from the peace and rhythm of life. -- Cheyenne proverb