Highlights, Thurs., Sept. 30

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 1999
      We begin with a repeat of a piece composed by John Metzger
      and mistakenly attributed to Thomas Merton. My apologies to
      John. Hey, Tom never looked so good!

      "solitude"
      solitude, land of evening, declines and departs. the abyss
      of solitude's absence is its advent, its arrival.
      solitude's claim to presence is not a form or outer
      appearance but a persistence, an insistence-on. solitude is
      a realm, a domain that shelters, secures, conceals.
      solitude is self-revealing and self-concealing.

      Picasso remarked he had made himself an "unsuspected
      solitude".its continuance is not tied to usage, need, or
      custom. to brook solitude is to think. solitude is for
      thinking, not singing. solitude is expressly to collect
      unique disclosure along the lines of Being, of
      Appropriation. the dawn of solitude comes to pass in events
      of order/disorder, of jointure/disjunction. solitude joins
      but never conjoins.

      its expanse is calls and gestures, belongings,hearings,
      attunements, something spoken,conversation. a
      historiography of solitude is absurd except in relation to
      destiny, destining, Fate. solitude is an aspect of the
      destining of Being. the ground of solitude is a brilliant
      abyss in which what lingers for a while can stay for the
      time being or emerge much later.

      it is not for protection. its gathering is the one that
      clears and shelters. one's standard of solitude is one's
      proximity to it, one's place in it. for those whose abode
      is solitude, it is a riddle and enigma, an enigmatic
      keyword, a right, a justice, a wrong, an injustice.

      it is reckless and considerate. to dispatch oneself toward
      solitude is never fitting. there are no vocational skills
      to acquire in solitude. solitude, the fateful itself, is a
      dispensation to beings to be Being.

      solitude is the Same in beings, language, sayings. to
      translate solitude is to cross over, to go down, to set the
      never-setting of unconcealment/concealment.

      solitude is the surmounting of the oblivion of Being, the
      perception of something at hand which appears to be not
      representational thought but Being coming to the fore,
      coming into view. to preserve solitude is to hold sway,
      reign, rule, dominate.

      solitude occurs essentially in a belonging together, an
      apportionment or allotment, of Being and beings, in the
      unfolding of this twofold

      --John Metzger

      This came from a Christian list - a friend sent it to me....

      --Love,

      Greg
      =====================

      I asked God to take away my pain.
      God said, No.
      It is not for me to take away, but for you to give it up.

      I asked God to make my handicapped child whole.
      God said, No.
      Her spirit was whole, her body was only temporary.

      I asked God to grant me patience.
      God said, No.
      Patience is a by-product of tribulations; it isn't
      granted, it is earned.

      I asked God to give me happiness.
      God said, No.
      I give you blessings. Happiness is up to you.

      I asked God to spare me pain.
      God said, No.
      Suffering draws you apart from worldly cares and brings
      you closer to me.

      I asked God to make my spirit grow.
      God said, No.
      You must grow on your own, but I will prune you to make
      you fruitful.

      I asked for all things that I might enjoy life.
      God said, No.
      I will give you life so that you may enjoy all things.

      I ask God to help me LOVE others, as much as he loves me.
      God said... Ahhhh, finally you have the idea.

      "I,I" - a freeform poem

      I glow from within, lit by my own radiance.
      The body, the mind, they are not mine.
      Through ignorance I have become associated
      with form, substance, dream. I am not that.
      There is nothing to describe me, no words.
      No thoughts, no symbols.. I wear no clothing.
      Nothing but Eternal peace and bliss, this,
      One very moment... there is no other but I.

      I, the reality, clothed in disguise...
      OM, the bridge across forever.
      I am the clear light of emptiness.
      OM, the bow of the soul, empty of all
      but what is real.

      In me there are no distinctions,
      no past-present-future, no here or there.
      I am everywhere and nowhere, the light
      that shines bright across the heart of Eternity.

      In me is all that ever was, all that has ever been,
      all that ever will be, in one eternal instant devoid of
      time.
      I cannot be described, nor thought of, nor dreamed of.
      I cannot be imagined, nor felt, nor seen, nor heard.

      The single timeless Eternal Fact I AM...
      Devoid of form, of time, of causation.

      Cross the bridge of OM to reach me,
      the bridge across the ocean of dream.
      Chant me, the no-chant OM, until
      the dream ends. Until the Reality begins.
      Satchidananda I am, forever bliss-being-love.
      Nowhere and everywhere I am, and you cannot see me.
      You can only be me.

      --Tim

      Whenever it's thought of, there it is. I say this entity is
      a mythical being, because it's a myth or a story, the entity
      'andrew' is the ongoing story of a life. Does a character
      in a novel exist when the book is sitting on the shelf? In
      a way yes, in a way no. There is the realization that a
      story is all it is but I live in the story, the story lives
      in me.
      Because I am aware of this, self aware, I write my story,
      'andrew' can be the person he wants to be, the hero of his
      own story. If I am not aware, then 'andrew' is not a
      conscious being, he is more like an automaton, or an animal
      operating on instinct.

      andrew

      ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

      I hear you speaking from the 'interval', Andrew. The
      'neither this nor that' interval. It's as though you've
      split the Red Sea yet still like to surf once in a while, or
      cast a line in. The enlightenment 'experience' or
      'happening' or 'event' (no word is correct) is something
      like the constant appearance of that interval.

      Jerry

      Pathway of Nonduality, by Raphael

      Chapter One

      Non-dualism, Dualism and Monism

      Every philosophical or cosmological vision which affirms two
      opposing and irreducible principles to explain Reality is a
      dualistic vision.

      Philosophical dualism is an answer to the problem of Being,
      which is considered double, being made of matter and spirit,
      of ego and non-ego, eternally in opposition and independent
      of one another.

      Religious dualism, on the other hand, opposes two
      priniciples in eternal conflict and 'antinomia'. It
      explains the presence of evil in the world and existence of
      the world itself as the outcome of the constant struggle
      between two eternal philosophies, the one called Good, the
      other Evil. These two opposing principles are often
      personified as God and Satan... .

      Every dualistic concept -- whether philosophical or
      religious -- recognizes, in other words, two distinct
      causes, or two independent 'substances', to use the words of
      Aristotle, which due to their very nature can never meet,
      never relate or resolve themselves. This implies that -- at
      the manifest level -- all contradictions, all antinomies,
      which arise and exist, can never be resolved. Two parallel
      lines, however much they are drawn out, can never meet.

      Evil, being an absolute Reality, just like Good, can never
      be overcome gy Good, and vice-versa.

      Dualism presents from the onset contradictions that cannot
      be solved or supported.

      Philosophical, religious or cosmological monism conceives
      the multiplicity of manifestations as the effect of a sole
      'substance'. It is obviously opposed to both dualism and
      pluralism. For pluralism Reality is made not of two but of
      several 'substances'.

      Monism can be compared to the mathematical one from which
      all numbers derive. The multiplicity of numbers is simply
      the multiplication of the one.

      There is the materialistic monism for which only one
      'substance' exists; matter, and all other categories,
      including spirit and even consciousness, are the
      epiphenomena of the one material 'substance'. And there is
      -- in total opposition to the former theory --
      spiritualistic monism, for which all can be traced back to a
      single 'substance' which is the Spirit.

      For monism every existing element - of any type and at any
      level whatsoever -- is real, because it represents the
      emanation from or multiplication of the one sole Reality.
      >From this standpoint we might say that monism is
      pantheistic. Thus, within the field of monism we have to
      include Spinoza's pantheism which states the oneness of
      'substance' and the identity of God and nature.

      In realistic pantheism all antinomies, like good and evil
      for example, although they go back to the original unity,
      must be considered real and therefore they cannot -- on the
      plane of manifestation -- dissolve or transcend. Evil,
      ignorance, unhappiness, limit, etc., are universal realities
      about which nothing can be done by man, because they are
      consubstantial with the One. We can say the the One
      contains within Itself the dialectics of opposites. All
      manifested effects, polar or dual as they may be, are
      contained in the First Cause. This means, naturally,
      attributing the good-evil principle itself to the
      One-Principle.

      Q: What is monotheism?

      Monotheism -- typical of religion -- affirms the existence
      of a sole Divinity. It is the opposite of polytheism and
      fetishism.

      Some religions admit of a number of gods to control the laws
      of the universe as second principles. However, as they are
      made to derive from a sole supreme God who includes them
      all, these religions may be considered to be fundamentally
      monotheistic.

      Here too emerges the impossibility of overcoming
      consciential, psychological and formal dualism because this
      is emanated, or created, by the One God.

      If the world is Real, then it is not possible to change,
      transform or redeem it. It will never be possible to
      rectify or redeem what really is.

      `````````````````````````
      Next: What is Non-dualism? Maya. Excerpt from Plotinus.

      Reprinted from one year ago today. Submitted by Gloria.

      WHAT ARE THE DEGREES OF RELATIONSHIP WITHIN THE NONDUAL
      PERSPECTIVE?

      J: The first degree of relationship is Intuition. One
      intuits that his or her real nature is one with all that is.

      The second degree of relationship is Recognition. One has
      "seen" nondual reality.

      The third degree of relationship is Stability. One "walks
      in" nondual reality.

      These three degrees: Intuition, Recognition, and Stability
      exist in relation to each of the three nondual perspectives
      considered in the first question. One can intuit,
      recognize, gain stability with nondual reality, whether via
      Word Nondualism, Process Nondualism, or Ultimate
      Nondualism. In the following discussion I am using the I AM
      as the name for the reality the nondual perspective would
      know.

      GP:That is an acceptable practice...convenient and
      efficient, but it has to be noted as such, as an expedient
      to getting the job of communication 'done'.

      J: Some people approach the nondual perspective from the
      disposition of Intuition. They have a real feeling for what
      the I AM is. They know a part of them is pure spirit,
      unchanging, perhaps that it is a portion of God.
      The intuition would be strong enough to bring the person to
      a spiritual path, to help guide a person. Part of having
      that intuition is that one's values are directed toward
      enjoying silence and quiet being. They are different from
      many other people's values.

      -- >>It is possible that the one who intuits I AM, still has
      to live as though 'other people's values' are their own<<--.

      GP:Yes...this is a challenge, a major challenge. For me, it
      has been somewhat like trying to succeed at working one of
      those puzzles, a flat box with two little balls, which has
      to be tilted in such a way, that each ball rolls to opposite
      sides of the box at the same time. It seems impossible,
      when I am trying to do it. I know that this personal/social
      integration is a boggling proposition for a great many. One
      may succeed in bringing I Am to the forefront, where it
      fills and shines, and cleanses and heals, but then when
      social reality dawns once again, it may seem that I Am
      becomes a flat, rusty remanant of something once-glorious.
      The tendency to quickly assume that 'others' have caused
      this regression is something to be aware of, and to
      overcome. Patience...and abiding, are called for. A
      history of hurt feelings and residual grief are like a foul
      monkey upon one's back, spoiling the party. Blame follows
      resentment, and blame hammers boundaries into existence,
      defining one as different from those other jerks.

      J:> The one who intuits, knows the I AM from a distance. As
      something to be strived for. As a retreat to visit from
      time to time. One's life may be colored by that intuition,
      but that coloring hasn't penetrated life as yet. It hasn't
      seeped through.

      GP:In my life, this intuition occurs (has occured) like the
      sudden awareness of a powerful presence, which was unseen
      until just now, and then recognized immediately as always
      having been 'there' or 'here'. Immediately intuited also,
      is the realization that I was too distracted by my personal
      dramas ("hey...nobody has showed up to change my diapers!"),
      too busy doing important 'problem-solving' activities, to
      pay attention to _Simply What Is_.

      GP:For me (and this seems unusual...I mean, it seems rare),
      the contrast between the 'realized' state and the
      simultaneous realization of my own self-distraction, is very
      clear. In fact, it is shocking, jarring. I have tried
      (naively) to abolish the distracted/distracting state, to
      disqualify the power of the noise and drama, for the purpose
      of having ONLY the 'realized' state, 'purely that'. But I
      have learned a better way. As long as the 'distracted
      state' is available, also available is the _contrast_.
      Now I need merely "look for" the contrast to also find the
      powerful presence of I Am. I now know that I am a native of
      this place/state/experience. This may seem (to certain
      purists) like a confession of weakness, but it is what works
      for me. I have also taught it to others. The momentary
      jarring is a bit like passing through the 'sound
      barrier'...a 'boom' of silence and then a 'bloom' of
      sweetness and sweet irony, and laughter. It tickles. There
      is more.

      J:> A second relationship is Recognition. This is an
      intimate awareness of I AM or nondual reality. Not merely
      an intuition, the stage of Recognition allows one to see
      existence as the I AM. It may come as a full-blown mystical
      experience or a flash of insight, a vision flash. It is a
      time when the colors of Intuition saturate and drip off all
      that is, all existence.

      GP:Well stated! I love this poetic vision. And it is here,
      that I seem to diverge from the 'majority' of those who
      write/talk about this stuff. I don't really know, though.
      Feedback is welcomed.

      For me, the 'recognition' phase that you point out, is an
      opening to a richness which I cannot describe in practical
      terms. It is "like" having the doors thrown open to a huge,
      infinite 'feast-hall'. If I look, what I see multiplies in
      richness and delightful complexity, and it is like feeling
      the most beautiful music. Each 'thing' which occurs, upon
      even the lightest examination, 'morphs' into such beautiful
      complexity, that I can barely stand it, in its intensity of
      revealed beauty and...meaning. There is no static state of
      Being here in this place, and I realize that I am That. It
      just keeps expanding, until the sun itself sings an
      unbearably beautiful song of Being. Words do not suffice.
      Rumi resonates here.

      Finally, it comes back upon itself, and explodes into a
      statement of I Am, which is "like" the entire Universe in
      Orgasm, glory Being. It is when this occurs, that my vision
      of 'others' with their heads held low, in fear and
      suspicion, elicits such compassion, that only my heart
      remains.

      J:> Whereas one can live a stable existence from the
      perspective of Intuition, the one who has recognized, who
      has looked into the eyes of God, so to speak, will have a
      hard time forgetting that. A person has to deal with it.
      For the nature of Recognition is instability. It is an
      insight and then a distancing from insight. A failure to
      stably retain insight. So it is by nature unstable.

      GP:You speak truely. I abide this instability. It is the
      source of Holy Contrast which is the difference which leads
      to No Difference. It is good. I feel fortunate to have
      found this instability. I am joyed when another finds
      (recognizes) this precious instability.

      J:> The one whose relationship with nondual reality is one
      of Recognition can speak very knowingly of the nature of
      nondual reality, because he or she has seen. The one who
      still only Intuits, may feel distant from such reports.

      GP:This may be true, but even so, it does not stop one from
      describing experience. "Is this it?" is frequently asked,
      in hope, still searching for an imagined stability.
      Stability is imagined to be realization, itself, which it is
      not. If it were, any fundamentalist idealist would be
      totally realized, in accord with their total certainty and
      (static) stability.

      J:> Yet the one who but Intuits, may be better favored by
      Grace. The relationship that Recognition offers can be
      difficult and frustrating. A person firmly stabilized
      within the relationship of Intuition and who is taught to
      value that, will return to it after Recognition.

      GP:Yes. It is 'getting one's sea-legs', yes? The pitch and
      yaw of the ship is a constant occurance, although
      unpredictable in detail. Each circumstance of movement can
      induce unbalance, yet there is a 'way of Being' which
      automatically takes all movement into account. Being able
      to give attention during both calm and storm is 'stability',
      if I understand what you are saying here. And the gaining
      of the 'sealegs' is the habituation to the constant of
      change, and also the giving-up of the assumption that the
      ship will ever dock in a 'better place' and discharge its
      passengers onto stable land...an imagined state of
      always-the-sameness. (Although the 'possibility' of a
      noncontrast state of Being is defined by some as
      'Nirvanna'. This is the "infinite regress" of the
      "realization of no realizer" and the paradox that it brings,
      like a wad of gum that one has to finally spit out. Or
      swallow, as the case may be.)

      J:> The relationship of Stability is desired. It is the
      stage where one is in unceasing Recognition of the nondual
      reality, the I AM. For example, one would progress from
      Intuition, to Recognition, back to Intuition, and then to
      Stability, with other journeys to Recognition along the way.

      GP:Yes, although my personal take on this is that stability
      is dynamic rather than static.

      J:> The one whose relationship is Recognition and who is
      overcome by arrogance to return to mere Intuition, is bound
      to suffer and wonder why he or she has not been favored by
      Grace to win Stability. Often these people negotiate that
      seeming unfairness in positive ways through creative works,
      or in negative ways through unacceptable escapes, or in both
      positive and negative ways. The key, though, is to return
      to Intuition. In this case, you can go back. A person just
      needs to be told they can go back.

      GP:Absolutely!!! Well said. After all, it is only One
      Day. We have all the time we need :).

      J:> When the relationship with nondual reality is one of
      stability, then one is "walking in" a reality that is
      nondual.The one who has achieved stability can recognize the
      relationships of Intuition and Recognition. The one who
      knows stability acts as anyone else does. They may or may
      not reveal the relationship they know. They may pretend it
      is just Intuition, or just Recognition. It just depends on
      whom they are communicating with.

      GP:Yes. This is revealed most excellently by you, O
      CyberGuru. I mean this quite sincerely. You are breaking
      new ground, in the linguistic approach to Nondualism. Your
      approach reveals your excellent sea-legs, your resiliant
      dynamic balance. It reveals one who has tired of the sound
      of rigid structure cracking, and who has found the bending
      of Grace far preferable.

      Grace in movement...moves grace in others. Amazing, is it
      not, that 'textfile' can speak so?

      J:> Spiritual life is the attentional work that it takes to
      win that stability and then to grow within and beyond it.

      GP:Yes. One the 'habit' is acquired, it attends to
      reprocess all experience to the essence of emptiness. It is
      a miracle watching that happen.

      ==Gene Poole==

      I say it, and because I say, I am it. No there is not
      continuity there is now, even the memory, the myth is
      happening now.

      andrew