Thursday, September 26, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2002

      Chinese Barber Shop. From Ken Nash's Sketchbook: Drawings From My Travels. <http://www.nashken.com/sketchbook/san_francisco/barber_shop.html>

      #1209 - Thursday, September 26, 2002 - Editor: Jerry - Home: <http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm>

      TERRY MURPHY
      from SufiMystic

      "Tell me a fact and I'll learn. Tell me a truth and I'll believe.
      But tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever."

      -- Indian Proverb

      One of the greatest of spiritual storytellers was Ramakrishna. One
      story I have always enjoyed referes to the need to live 'in the
      world but not of it,' as the sufis say. How can we live a life of
      *ahimsa* (non-harming) without becoming prey to the exploiters
      and parasites who take advantage of the weakness of those
      unwilling to fight and harm others?

      Once an itinerant guru came to a remote village in India which was
      plagued by a venomous snake. The frightened villagers asked the
      guru to take care of their problem, and render the snake
      harmless. The obliging guru went out and found the snake and
      spoke to it about the evils of hurting people, and convinced the
      snake to practice non-harming.

      After the guru went his way, the snake become known for being no
      longer dangerous. Some of the boys of the village took to beating
      the snake whenever they saw it, until the snake was beaten half
      to death. In fact, only the blessing of the guru enable the snake
      to stay alive.

      The following dry season the guru returned to the village and
      asked after the snake. He was told that the snake lived on the
      edge of the village, nearly dead from beatings. The guru knew
      that his blessing would have kept the snake alive despite any
      beating, so he sought him out and questioned him. The snake
      politely claimed that he was doing fine, but under questioning
      revealed that the local boys had beaten it nearly to death and
      that it was unable to even feed itself and was afraid of more
      beatings should it show its face.

      The guru told the snake that he had told it not to harm anyone,
      but that it was okay for it to raise up, open its hood, and act
      threateningly. On the most difficult occasions, it might even
      bite, but it was under no circumstances to inject its venom.

      After this advice, the snake regained its health and was
      sufficiently respected by the village boys that it was no longer
      bothered and could live peacefully.

      This is a story which has lived in my heart for a long time.

      terry

      SVCS
      from the I Am list

      Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi was most tender with people who thought
      themselves for some reason or other to be miserable sinners and
      who  went to him torn by repentance.

      During summer evenings we used to sit in the open space near the
      well. We would collect in the dining hall for dinner and come back
      to  the well. Suddenly, one day, a visitor started weeping
      bitterly, "I  am a horrible sinner. For a long time I have been
      coming to your  feet, but there is no change in me. Can I become
      pure at last? How  long am I to wait? When I am here near you I am
      good for a time, but  when I leave this place I become a beast
      again. You cannot imagine  how bad I can be-hardly a human being.
      Am I to remain a sinner  forever?"

      Bhagavan answered: "Why do you come to me? What have I to do with
      you? What is there between us that you should come here and weep
      and  cry in front of me?"

      The man started moaning and crying even more, as if his heart were
      breaking. "All my hopes of salvation are gone. You were my last
      refuge and you say you have nothing to do with me! To whom shall I
      turn now? What am I to do? To whom am I to go?"

      Bhagavan watched him for some time and said, "Am I your guru that
      I  should be responsible for your salvation? Have I ever said that
      I am  your master?"

      "If you are not my master, then who is? And who are you, if not my
      master? You are my guru, you are my guardian angel, you will pity
      me  and release me from my sins!" He started sobbing and crying
      again.

      We all sat silent, overcome with pity. Only Bhagavan looked alert
      and  matter-of-fact.

      Bh: "If I am your guru, what are my fees? Surely you should pay me
      for my services."

      D: "But you won't take anything," cried the visitor. "What can I
      give  you?"

      Bh: "Did I ever say that I don't take anything? And did you ever
      ask  me what you can give me?"

      D: "If you would take, then ask me. There is nothing I would not
      give  you."

      Bh: "All right. Now I am asking. Give me. What will you give me?"

      D: "Take anything, all is yours."

      Bh: "Then give me all the good you have done in this world."

      D: "What good could I have done? I have not a single virtue to my
      credit"

      Bh: "You have promised to give. Now give. Don't talk of your
      credit.  Just give away all the good you have done in your past."

      D: "Yes, I shall give. But how does one give? Tell me how the
      giving  is done and I shall give."

      Bh: "Say like this: 'All the good I have done in the past I am
      giving  away entirely to my guru. Henceforth I have no merit from
      it nor have  I any concern with it.' Say it with your whole
      heart."

      D: "All right, Swami, I am giving away to you all the good I have
      done so far, if I have done any, and all its good effects. I am
      giving it to you gladly, for you are my master and you are asking
      me  to give it all away to you."

      Bh: "But this is not enough," said Bhagavan sternly.

      D: "I gave you all I have and all you asked me to give. I have
      nothing more to give."

      Bh: "No, you have. Give me all your sins."

      D: The man looked wildly at Bhagavan, terror stricken. "You do not
      know, Swami, what you are asking for. If you knew, you would not
      ask  me. If you take over my sins, your body will rot and burn.
      You do not  know me, you do not know my sins. Please do not ask me
      for my sins."  And he wept bitterly.

      Bh: "I shall look after myself, don't you worry about me," said
      Bhagavan. "All I want from you is your sins."

      For a long time the bargain would not go through. The man refused
      to  part with his sins. But Bhagavan was adamant.

      Bh: "Either give me your sins along with your merits, or keep both
      and don't think of me as your master."

      In the end the visitor's scruples broke down and he  declared:
      "Whatever sins I have done, they are no longer mine. All of  them
      and their results, too, belong to Ramana."

      Bhagavan seemed to be satisfied. "From now on there is no good nor
      bad in you. You are just pure. Go and do nothing, neither good
      nor  bad. Remain yourself, remain what you are."

      A great peace fell over the man and over us all. No one knows what
      happened to the fortunate visitor; he was never seen in the
      Ashram  again. He might have been in no further need of coming.

      Hari Aum !!!

      JONATHAN
      from The Other Syntax

      "I've never told you about dreaming, because until now I was only
      concerned with teaching you how to be a hunter," he said. "A
      hunter is not concerned with the manipulation of power, therefore
      his dreams are only dreams. They might be poignant but they are
      not dreaming.

      "A warrior, on the other hand, seeks power, and one of the avenues
      to power is dreaming. You may say that the difference between a
      hunter and a warrior is that a warrior is on his way to power,
      while a hunter knows nothing or very little about it. The decision
      as to who can be a warrior and who can only be a hunter is not up
      to us. That decision is in the realm of the powers that guide
      men."

      Don Juan Matus - Journey to Ixtlan

      JAN SULTAN
      from NDS

      “The nature of rain is the same, but it makes thorns grow in the
      marshes  and flowers in the garden.” [An Arab saying, as quoted in
      Anthony de  Mello’s book “Awareness”]

      God’s grace is available to all. All you have to do is make
      yourself  receptive. Receptive to the direct intuitive perception
      of your real nature.

      This receptivity is a special kind.

      In this receptivity there is no striving, no effort … striving
      means  direction, in this pathless land there is no direction.

      In this receptivity there is no urgency, no desperation, no
      waiting … just  your availability.

      In this receptivity you are hanging loose, you don't care if you
      get it or  not.

      In this receptivity there is no narrow focus … this receptivity is
      open to  everything [don’t reject anything, just observe and
      ‘accept’]. In this receptivity your sense of humor shields you
      from taking things too  seriously. You are smiling inside, no
      matter what. You are acting as if you  have already got it.

      Don’t be rigid, go with the current of your life, enjoy the ride …
      you  cannot be the driver because you, nor anyone else, knows your
      own unique  path … be attentive, be aware, be open to the unknown.
      This openness is  without any motive, without any expectation or
      anticipation … this openness  is it … this openness will reveal
      its depth by itself.

      Any expectancy brings in the ego and time through the back door.
      It can  only happen in the now when ‘you-the-person’ are absent.
      When  ‘you-the-person’ are there, the receptivity that we are
      talking about  recedes to the background … when ‘you-the-person’
      are absent this  receptivity springs back to the foreground …
      ready to be transformed,  transmuted into pure awareness, pure
      being, pure bliss.

      Please try to understand the above. This openness without
      ‘you-the-person’  is all that is required to get all the guidance,
      all the mystical  experiences that are necessary [or not] to guide
      you, and having seen the  nature of ‘you-the-person’ finally
      ‘seeing/being’ the real You.

      ERIC

      Here in the heart of america, home of a 15th century Quan Yin
      statue at the local art museum, (brought in from China... and now
      requested returned) a question is asked:

      Would it be inappropiate under religous or even secular rules to
      use the likeness of the Goddess as a chocolate mold, to produce
      handmade candies?

      I posted a photo of said statue under the files section of the
      Yahoo NDS group site a while back.

      warm appreciations for any responses which come from heart,

      eric

      GREG GOODE

      Not in Japan. There, they use images of buddhas and bodhisattvas
      when they bake cookies. You go to a town nearby a famous shrine or
      statue, and you'll find bake shops and souvenir shops. They will
      sell packages of crispy sweet cinnamon-flavored cookies with the
      image of that statue on them. Quite nice!

      LOBSTER
      from Nasrudin

      They say knowledge is power
      and one should of course acquaint
      oneself with a varied knowledge.
      The following books have all been
      genuinely produced and published in sincerity
      some without a true appreciation of their
      alternative possibilities :-)
      Think I sent them before
      but worth a reminder . . .
      but not for the orthodoxically challenged

      Games you can play with your pussy - Ira Alterman
      Ball punching - Tom Carpenter
      Penetrating Wagner's Ring - John Gaetaneo
      Fishing for boys - J H Elliott
      Chaps and short pants - Herbert Farris
      Whippings and Lashings - Girl Guide Association
      Making it in leather - M Hayes
      Handbook for the limbless - Geoffrey Howson
      The chronicles of the crutch - Blanchard Jarrold
      Motorcycles in a nutshell - S Moore
      British tits - Christopher Perrins
      The oldest trade in the world, and other addresses for the younger folk -
      George Morrison
      Scouts in Bondage - Geoffrey Prout
      Shag the Caribou - C B Rutley
      Camping among cannibals - Alfred St Johnston
      The Big Book of Busts - John Watson
      Organ Building for amateurs - Mark Wicks
      Why people move - Jorge Balan
      Practical candle burning - Raymond Buckland
      Truncheons: Their romance and reality - Erland Clark
      Who's who in barbed wire - anon
      Anthropometric measurement of Brazilian feet - Mario D'Angelo
      Moles and their meanings - Harry de Windt
      How to save a big ship from sinking, even though torpedoed - Charles Eley
      A study of hospital waiting lists in Cardiff 1953-4 - Fred Grundy
      What to say when you talk to yourself - Shud Helmstetter
      The madam as entrepreneur: Career management in house prostitution -
      Barbara Heyl
      The toothbrush: It's use and abuse - Isador Hirshfield
      How to fire an employee - Daniel Kingsley
      Historic bubbles - Frederic Leake
      The one-legged resting position - Gerhard Lindholm
      Aeroplane design for amateurs - Victor Lougheed
      List of people who have changed their name in Massachusetts, 1780-1892 -
      anon
      Nuclear War: what's in it for you? - anon
      Defensive tactics with flashlights - J P Dan
      Hawaiian fishponds - Catherine Summers
      How to avoid huge ships - John Trimmer
      The Darjeeling disaster-it's bright side - F W Warne
      Grow your own hair - Ron Maclaren
      Jews at a glance - Mac Davis
      Railway literature 1556-1830 - Robert Reddins
      *this book covers the interesting period of railway history before trains
      were invented."
      How to abandon ship - Philip Richards
      Atomic Bombings: How to protect yourself - Winston Davis
      How to draw a straight line - Alfred Kempe
      A study of splashes - Arthur Worthington
      The gas we pass: The story of farts - Shinta Cho
      How to test your urine at home - B C Meyrowitz
      Performing goats - anon
      Fishes I have know - Arthur Beavan
      Bean Spasms - Ted Berrigan
      Swine judging for beginners - Joel Coffey
      Do snakes have legs? - Bert Cunningham
      Rats for those who care - Susan Fox
      Fishes who answer the telephone - Yury Frolov
      Carrots love tomatoes - Louise Riotte
      A pictorial history of tongue coating - anon
      Old Age: Its cause and prevention - Sanford Bennett
      Fresh air and how to use it - T. Carrington
      Cancer: Is the dog the cause? - Samuel Cort
      Coma arousal - Edward Le Winn
      Practical infectious diseases - Richard Meyer
      The abuse of elderly people: A handbook for professionals - anon
      Put haemorrhoids and constipation behind you - Ken Yasny
      How to become a schizophrenic - John Modrow
      Collect fungi on stamps - D J Aggerberg
      Fun with a newspaper - Morley Adams
      How to eat a peanut - anon
      Teach yourself alcoholism - Meier Glatt
      The champion orange peeler - A Henn
      Build your own Hindenburg - Alan Rose
      Explosive spiders and how to make them - John Scoffern
      How to walk - anon
      Hand grenade throwing as a sport - Lewis Omer
      Be bold with bananas - anon
      Ice cream for small plants - Etta Handy
      The thermodynamics of pizza - Harold Morowitz
      How to cook husband - Elizabeth Strong
      The joy of cataloguing - Sanford Beaman
      To know a fly - Vincent Dethier
      A selected biography of snoring and sonorous breathing - Marcus Boulware
      The adventures of Chit Chat, the talking mirror dinghy - Carole Hughes
      Follow your broken nose - Honor McKay
      The magic of telephone evangelism - Harold Metcalf
      Reusing old grave - D Davies
      DIY Coffins: For pets and people - Dale Power