Wednesday, September 25, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27 5:38 AM

      "When viewed from a prime spot in the Ryoanji Temple, the five
      groupings of rocks in the Zen garden create the "medial-axis"
      image of a tree, scientists say. However, the viewer may not even
      be aware of the shape, they say." See article/link below.

      #1208 - Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - Editor: Jerry - Home: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      SVCS
      from the I Am list

      There was a large stone slab where you now see a tiny wall to the
      east of Skandasram. Everyday we used to keep tooth powder and
      water  over there for use by Sri Bhagavan. However cold it was,
      Sri Bhagavan  would come and sit on the slab and clean his teeth.
      In the early  morning sun's rays, Sri Bhagavan's body would shine
      beautifully. When  it was very cold, devotees used to request him
      not to sit there, but  Sri Bhagavan would not listen to them. We
      came to know the reason for  this only later.  "In Big Street,
      which is to the north of Arunachaleswara Temple,  there was an
      elderly woman called Sowbagyathammal. She and a few  others had
      taken a vow that daily they would eat only after they had  seen
      Sri Bhagavan and Seshadriswami. Every day they used to climb the
      hill to have the darshan of Sri Bhagavan.

      "One day Sowbagyathammal did not come. Among his devotees, if he
      found even one missing, Sri Bhagavan would ask whether he was all
      right. In the same way, he asked Sowbagyathammal the next day why
      she  did not come the previous day. She said, "All the same I had
      your  darshan, Bhagavan.'' Sri Bhagavan said, "But you didn't come
       yesterday.'' She replied, "I could not climb the hill because of
      my  weakness. But I was fortunate enough to have your darshan from
      my  house.'' She explained how she saw Sri Bhagavan when he was
      brushing  his teeth sitting on the stone slab. She said if he
      brushed his teeth  at the same place everyday, she would be able
      to see him every day  from her house itself as she found it
      difficult to climb the hill.  From then on, Sri Bhagavan brushed
      his teeth sitting on the stone,  irrespective of weather
      conditions. It was a boon for other elderly  people also."

      from "Reminiscences" by Sri Kunjuswami

      Hari Aum !!!

      HUR

      From a book called "Psychology and the East," collected works of
      CG Jung, translation by RFC Hull.

      "I do not know whether my friend (Zimmer) found it unforgivable or
      an imcomprehensible sin on my part that I had not sought out Shri
      Ramana...Perhaps I should have visited Shri Ramana. Yet I fear
      that if I journed to India a second time to make up for my
      omission, it would fare with me just the same: I simply could not
      despite the uniqueness of the occasion to bring myself to visit
      this undoubtedly distinguished man personally. For the fact is, I
      doubt his uniqueness; he is a type which always was and will be.
      Therefore it was not necessary to seek him out. I saw him all
      over India."

      Jung talks about this for nearly a chapter in the book. Jung was
      so charmed with "All-Oneness of Universal Being" that he was
      "absolutely certain that no one could ever get beyond this, least
      of all the Indian holy man himself; and should Shri Ramana say
      anything that did not chime in with this melody, or claim to know
      anything that trascended it, his illumination would assuredly be
      false. The holy man is right when he intones India's ancient
      chants, but wrong when he pipes any other tune. This effortless
      drone of argumentation, so suited to the heat of southern India,
      made me refrain, without regret, from a visit to Tiruvannamalai."

      My personal comments: When I invite some friends to local
      satsangs, Jung's explanation is incredible similar to what I hear
      from friends who have found their guru. They're content and don't
      seek any other guru. Perhaps Jung'd found his guru. Maybe it was
      Yoda*?

      *star wars movies heavily uses jung's archetypes.

      GORAN

      Jung had his argumentation, but basically he was afraid to meet
      Ramana. Jung was a scientist, a doubter, an analyser. Ramana is
      beyond analysing, beyond all archetypes, a solid oness. He simply
      doesnt fit in Jung's mind. To really meet Ramana he had to drop
      his analytical mind, his knowledge. Science and meditation will
      never meet.

      JAN BARENDRECHT

      In Zimmer's book "der Weg zum Selbst", which Jung finished because
      of Zimmer's sudden death, he mentions several reasons that
      undoubtedly add up to the knowledge that by visiting Ramana,
      nothing was to gain. Jung remarked to be fortunate to meet a
      practitioner of "who am i" as he had a few doubts whether that
      method could work. Which isn't a surprise, going through Ramana's
      biography. The householder he met was the typical, happy devotee,
      firmly rooted in "maya", making an effort for 'realization', not
      concerned wHether or not that would be possible without many years
      in silent meditation, hardships, like his master went through.

      And who is to proclaim Ramana is beyond "analyzing etc."? That's
      the conclusion of devotees, and Jung wasn't one. Ever heard of
      Patanjali sutras? That could be called an ancient science of mind
      - analytic no problem. Attachment to the "i am the body" idea
      shows in its negation: attachment to "i am not the body" idea
      then displays as utter neglect with predictable consequences.
      Jung also knew that it is very rare, a devotee will "arrive" at
      his/her master's "realization" without a similar effort. That
      requires optimism to begin with, and a lot of it..... Unless,
      "equipped" with a scientific mind, knowing it's impending demise,
      enabling to do it's "voided math".

      SAM

      I have heard from Osho, that the real reason Jung did not go to
      Ramana was his tremendous fear of death. Could that be possible,
      and all these other things: Jung's claiming for example that there
       are hundreds of the type like Ramana all over India, just very
      sophisticated rationalizations?

      JAN BARENDRECHT

      A fear of death would translate into an aversion to travel so
      India wouldn't have been visited at all. Jung wrote that Ramana
      was the whitest spot in India and there can only be one. Having to
       finish Heinrich Zimmer's book, having to write both an
      introduction and an epilogue, he did a thorough job, as a kind of
      last honor to a dear friend. In the epilogue Jung wrote that
      Ramana's importance for the West is to emphasize that without the
      "inner man", the "outer man" will perish and that he (Jung) saw
      this happening in India as well. History shows, that observation
      was 'right'.

      GORAN

      It is no fun to go to visit someone and see that he or she is
      asleep. What would you do? Try to awake them? But they don't want
      to be awakened. They even don't know that they are asleep. Had
      they wanted to be awakened, they would have gone to Ramana. That
      is the true order of things. That is the movement of
      consciousness. Ramana did not want to go to them because he dindnt
       want to go to sleep. It is hard to stay awake if everybody around
       you is sleeping. He probably concluded that it is better to be
      alone, static and awawke than to travel in sleep. There are
      masters who went to the West, like Osho and others. Osho knew that
       he was going to the sleeping ones. He was more enthusiastic than
      Ramana, and he was more compassionate. Who would pay a visit to
      the sleeping? He shouted there trying to awake someone. And he
      succeded with a few, but majority decided to go on sleeping with
      their ambitions, they were very angry at him because he disturbed
      their sleep. So they threw him back to India. What fools... :)

      CORNIE

      Ha haha "he didn't want to go to sleep" you're funny; but that
      implies that environment played pivotal role in keeping RM awake,
      no?

      I don't know to whom the compassionate awards go to. In the same
      way  I can sympathize with Willie Loman, I "identify" and
      empathize with  the mod day enlightened, like the Krishnamurtis .
      These guys did/do like some of you: put on a suit, schlep through
      airports and maybe even haggle over cabfare inorder to bring the
      wisdom to seekers.  Do you know how much "enlightenment" is
      misplaced, like luggage,  while just doing an interstate book
      tour?

      MICHAEL READ

      God's Home Page

      http://www.netstore.de/~god/

      yup! heeheehee

      Round and Holy

      http://www.ee0r.com/proj/bagels.html

      WARNING: not for the faint of spirit!

      Great sights on this site. <http://www.alexgrey.com/>

      So...that's what your light body may look like? hm...fun stuff

      what in the cosmos is the cosmos? ... hohoho!

      hello? anybody in there?

      let's take a peek .. hm de dum de um dee oh .... nope!
      nobody there
      just some random awareness
      looking for adventure
      taking whatever comes
      zippadeedoodah!

      no sir! uh-uh! nope!
      gotta be more serious than that, man
      you nuts if you go around zippadadee alla thuh time!
      it's rough and tumble in the old universe
      bang! rocks and things whizzing around all over!

      man wants folk to let it happen
      let some new society spring up
      peace love no BOMBS and stuff like that

      can't tell nobody nothing
      just pisses them off
      scares them
      hey!
      what?
      you one with unigod coporation
      they just say - he crazy.

      ha! crazy man why you so razy crazy?
      what? no one to do the saving?
      so now what crazy man?
      no one to save? hah!

      everybhoddhisilly for self!
      free self for everybhoddhisillyself
      no charge for what you aleady got, eh?

      plinka - michael

      JERRY
      from NDS

      Zen Garden's Calming Effect Due to Subliminal Image?

      It's a 30- by 10-meter (roughly 98- by 32-foot) rectangle
      surrounded by earthen walls on three sides and a wooden veranda on
      the fourth. Inside the rectangle is a vista of white pebbles and
      15 rocks. And it is world famous for the peace and serenity anyone
      and everyone who visits it feels.

      Visual-imaging scientists in Japan say they've figured out what it
      is about the garden that engenders this serenity. The secret: The
      more than 500-year-old garden is harboring a subliminal message
      in the form of a tree.

      <http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/09/0925_020925_zengarden.html>