Sunday, September 22, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2002
      .

      Highlights #1205
      Sunday, September 22, 2002
      Editor: Gloria Lee

      Gems from Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj's Conversations

      "When you don't require anything from the world and nothing
      from God, when you don't desire anything, when you don't strive
      for anything, don't expect anything, the divine will enter you,
      unasked and unexpected."
              ----Posted by Manuel Hernandez on A Net of Jewels

      GABRIELE EBERT

      Announcement:

      The third volume in the series, "The Power of the Presence" has
      recently arrived here directly from India, and may be purchased
      from us via e-mail;
      kalpa@... or shortly via the web site:
      www.kalpatarubooks.com under the Ramana Maharshi link. It
      retails for $18.00 plus shipping, the same price as the first two
      volumes in the series.

      This volume concludes this fascinating accounts of life and of
      living with Ramana Maharshi told by devotees, started in the first
      two books. These devotees lived with Ramana for many years in
      most cases. Each chapter or personal story has a different flavor,
      but each has at it's core an undying devotion and love for Ramana
      and tales of their "service" to him. Several of the authors/tellers
      of these stories were regarded by many as being Self Realized.
      Most of the source material has never been told or published
      before, though a few of the tales will be known already via other
      books. In previous volumes the tales of Kunju Swami,
      Lakshmana Swami, Muruganar, Viswanatha Swami and others
      were told; in this new book the tales of Laksman Sarma, the
      Kitchen Workers, Echammal and Mudaliar Patti, Ramanatha
      Brahmachari, Lakshmi, Mastan and others are told, and the only
      Westerner to have a chapter: Wolter Keers.
      [..]
      David Godman has made copious foot notes in each chapter plus
      an index, bibliography and other useful notes. Each "Author" has
      an introductory text as well, at the beginning of each chapter.

      ______________________________________

      MARY BREHM
      Open Source Spirit

      hello, just a little song,
      really don't struggle so hard, let go and let it come

      "Talk! Talk! listening
      Like the first words ever to reach out
      Talk! Talk!
      Like the first sounds, in a silent spring
      Talk! Talk! Listening
      Like the first words ever to reach out to you
      Talk! Talk
      Like the first sound you start to sing"

      Words are such a powerful tool, how best shall we use them?
      Love Mary

      ______________________________________

      CLAIRE BARRY
      Hafiz

      HAFIZ #7

      It seemed, at first, Spring’s rose-milk breath--

      this embracing, haunting zephyr from the west;

      incense-imbued, an exotic dancer’s veils, the breeze--

      flirts sweetly, brushing all the bashful leaves.

      Blessed with deep intoxication of the soul,

      the inner way of mystic love unfolds:

      ya-Hayy, pulse of life, nurturing hand,

      ya-Hayy, the breath of seedlings, breath of land,

      an evolving palette, the sky’s uncommon beauty

      tattooed in delicate cloud calligraphy...

      Oblivious to consumer/profit bestiality

      the wine of grace his only guarantee,.

      this poor dervish dodges attachment’s ugly snare,

      by living simply, gently, mindful and aware.

      Even relentless CEOs return to earth,

      a Sultan of Compassion, what is he worth?

      Free of organized religion, without borders...

      Allah’s torch ignites the Qutb, not Sufi Orders.

      Ignorance attacks unconventional Hafiz,

      maya-mind can’t decipher who he is.

      To Hafiz a mystic-key and trust was given,

      a light, a seal, in brilliant third-eye vision.

      When Hafiz returns to Allah, what can you do?

      His legacy and will is “Allah-hu“.

      ----rendering by Sayyeda Claire Costello Barry 9/02

      Disclaimer: If there’s anything wonderful, intoxicating or
      enlightening in this rendering it’s due to Hafiz’ beautiful being
      and the grace of my Master, Sant Darshan Singh Ji Maharaj. If
      there’s anything ignorant, annoying, unprofessional, lustful,
      deceitful, depraved, egoistic, creepy,
      offensive-to-anyone-of-any-cultural-ethnic-religious-or-sexual-orientation,
      or downright irritatingly Irish-American, c’est moi. Peace all.

      ______________________________________

      LEE LOVE
      Zen_Pearl

      Correct Intention

      From: Fudo: If only it were so easy.

      Hi Fudo,

      Nobody mentioned "easy" did they? Actually, even within a
      formal practice situation, right understanding and correct
      intention/motivation are important. When we don't have the aid
      of a formal practice situation, we have to be even more careful.

      Fudo:If only right intentions were enough...Would it not be wonderful
      if the road to hell was not paved with them?

      Yes, it is difficult enough with the correct, (not necessarily
      "good"), intentions. Much more difficult without them. Forget
      heaven and hell. Think ignorance and wisdom. (8^)

      It is Dharma 101, really. Karma is related to volitional actions.
      From the Buddhist perspective, the karmic repercussions of
      stepping on an ant unknowingly, are not as great as purposely
      stomping on an ant to kill it. The mind matters.

      We've gotten off the original subject (my disagreeing with
      Anjin-san about practice not being a part of an email list), but
      peripheral practices directly relates to a main theme of the book I
      am working on, so I've thought more than casually about the
      subject.

      One of the features of Zen Buddhism that came about in a unique
      way in Japan, is the relationship of Zen practice to various
      non-religious practices. You find zen practice principles applied
      to art, calligraphy, painting, sculpture, flower arranging, poetry,
      tea ceremony, incense, gardening, bonsai, the list goes on & on.
      There is some parallel in the martial arts and arts in China. In the
      West, we are, so far, rather anemic in these peripheral
      non-religious practices.

      I had a realization about "intention" about a year into my
      apprenticeship at the pottery. As our mutual friend, Shoken
      Wince Sensei recognized during his visit, the pottery grounds and
      building are very similar to a traditional monastery and garden.
      Our shogotoba (workshop) is a lot like a Soto Sodo, where the
      monks live and meditate. The main difference is that there is no
      tatami and there is a hole with a wheel in the middle of it, at each
      work station on the platform. You sit on the zabuton and your legs
      are on either side of the wheel, in the hole on foot rests, when
      you are not kicking the wheel.

      The grounds are beautiful, full of nature. Our work is done in
      silence and with reverence, much like work is done at the
      monastery. Working at the kickwheel is very meditative. The
      great advantage of working at the kickwheel over doing zazen, is
      that your legs are exercised so you don't have pain in them, even
      after working at the wheel for the whole day, for many days at a
      time. What I puzzled about was that while my teacher, who is in
      his middle 80s, is much like an old zen master, the Foreman and
      the Retired Foreman, who are craftsmen who have been doing this
      work for 45 and 60 years, are more like 14 year old boys. The
      environment is wholesome and the approach to work is, like I
      said, very similar to how work is done in the monastery. But it
      hasn't had the same effect upon them as it has my Sensei.

      If you look in my teacher's house, there is a Buddhist altar and
      many scrolls and statues and other Buddhist related objects.
      Sensei is an educated man and has studied Buddhism. His
      intention was to make his creative work his spiritual practice. The
      two old craftsmen started in this work when they were 14, when
      they graduated from middle school. It is "their job" and they
      never had any intention to make "their job" their spiritual practice.

      I'm sure traditional monasteries were exactly like this. Many
      people came to study "as a job", while some people came to
      study as dharma practice. We cannot take advantage of fortunate
      environments or situations unless we recognize them and then
      have an intention to do them as practice.

      Of course, sometimes situations have an effect upon us without
      our having an intention for them to do so. But it is, at best,
      haphazard.

      So, in trying to develop a personal "peripheral" practice, my basic
      recommendations would be:

      First, decide that it will be "practice" and apply practice methods
      to the tasks related to it. Mindlessly shooting arrows into a bale of
      hay isn't going to be anything like "practice", but Kyuudo is,
      because the form was intended to be so.

      Second, a face-to-face relationship with a Zen teacher is helpful.
      They can help guide you in the "peripheral" practice, if you
      cannot do it directly with a Sensei teaching that form.

      Third, the practice of zazen is a touch point that can inform your
      new endeavor.

      Fourth, dedicate the merit of the practice. Two things I do at the
      pottery to help focus "a practice mind" is that at the start of the
      day, before I start sweeping my section of the garden, I make a
      water offering to the two stone Buddhas in my part of the garden.
      Also, when I sit at the wheel, before I start work I take three
      breaths and recite silently:

      May all beings have happiness and its cause

      May all beings be freed from suffering and its cause

      May all never part from sorrowless bliss

      But live believing in the sameness of all.

      Sorry this has been so long, but I think it is important.

      Maitri,

      -- Lee Love Ikiru@...... Mashiko JAPAN

      "Really there is no East, no West,
       Where then is the South and the North?
       Illusion makes the world close in,
       Enlightenment opens it on every side."

      - Japanese Pilgrim's Verse.

      ______________________________________

      Ada's English Garden,  Pastel by Bobby Graham

      BOBBY GRAHAM
      Zen_Pearl

      Correct Intention

      Dear Lee:

      I think your book sounds like a very good idea. The idea of
      intentions opens doors for people in everyday life to  experience
      the fullfillment of a spiritual life. The time is  right.

      I studied Impressionism with a master that took his study  with a
      master and so on back to the roots of Western art and  it was a
      great privilege. He told me to teach what I had  learned. The
      images you brought up with the grounds and  potter's wheels
      would be a wonderful addition to your  book, the artisan
      becoming the clay so to speak. I hope you  intend to have some
      great photos in it.

      I have a few photos of the grounds where we studied on  Cape
      Cod Massachusetts, and his backyard where he  demonstrated
      painting on Friday mornings. I was young but  I did take a few
      photos and later I painted his wife's  beautiful garden from one of
      them. I will upload the image to the files section.

      I read a passage in Ramana Maharshi's teachings this  morning
      where he gave advice to someone asking if he  should seek a life
      of solitude. R. said that one can have  solitude in the thick of
      activity or be disturbed when alone in the jungle.

      In yoga the mental abilities are listed as logic, memory,
      dreaming, imagination, and intuition. Within the scope of  these
      abilities fluctuations (vrittis) occur we call thoughts and they are
      divided into five types. Two of these are  accurate cognition and
      misconception.

      Your mention of 'correct' intentions brought this to mind.

      Good luck. Think rewrite. Love Bobby G.
      ______________________________________

      MIA
      Daily Dharma

      "Eh-ma!
      From the perspective of conventional reality all
      things, appearances, all functional realities, in
      samsara and nirvana, are inseparably of One Taste with
      the nature of emptiness.

      There is no awareness of self and other,
      All share in the vastness of the great union.

      The wise who realize this truth,
      no longer see mind, but wisdom-mind,
      They no longer see living beings, but buddhas,
      They no longer see phenomena, but the essential
      nature.
      ~Milarepa

      'This essential nature is who we all are - eternal,
      unmoving and unchanging, with no beginning and no end,
      everywhere, as the space of the sky. Today, as we
      inter-act with others, let's look beyond these forms
      in which the essence is temporarily manifesting, and
      see the 'great union' of all. One Taste. One Heart.
      One Being.'"
      ~Dharma Grandmother

      ______________________________________

      JERRY KATZ
      NDS

      A Review

      ~~~

      The Noumenon Journal: Nondual Perspectives on
      Transformation, is published and edited by Dr. Kriben
      Pillay, in Wandsbeck,  South Africa. (Ordering
      information below, for those who wish to support
      Pillay's work.)

      The Summer 2001/2002 issue marks the 17th issue in 7
      years. Website addresses relevant to each article are
      given, making  this publication easily expandable across
      the internet.

      The feature inquiry in the Summer 2001/2002 issue
      concerns Transformation in the Workplace. Spiritual
      teachers were  presented the following question and
      invited to respond:

      "How do you perceive the practical role of spirituality
      in the workplace, where such a spirituality would be a
      radical  transformation of the way we work, relate to
      each other, and care for the environment?"

      [snipped reviews of each article may be read at:

      The full edition of Noumenon is available only in hard
      copy at $10 U.S. per year. Along with Meditation Society
      of America's  Inner Traveler and Andrew Cohen's What Is
      Enlightenment?, it makes up the Big Three English
      language hard copy  publications grounded in a nondual
      perspective and embracing a variety of backgrounds, of
      which I am aware.

      You may order Noumenon at the following web page:
      <http://users.iafrica.com/n/no/noumenon/page6.html>,
      where there are  links to past issues. Or email Kriben
      Pillay at noumenon@....

      --Jerry Katz
      jerry@...