Friday, September 20, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2002
      *

      NonDual Highlights #1203
      Friday, September 20, 2002
      Editor: Gloria Lee

      * The philosophical concept of existence - non-dualism - as
      propagated by Adi'Sankaracarya, has been rendered through a
      calligraphic logo of advaita (Sanskrit word meaning non-dualism), in
      which a single calligraphic stroke splits into two before merging into
      one, represents everything beginning from the `one', which
      seemingly gets distinguished as two (maya). Duality, ultimately,
      merges into the `one' (advaita) non-duality. ASHE

      ASHE
      Being_One

      Notes from a walk......

      Beside the path the sudden flutter
      of a speckled wood. I pause, follow
      her ragged flight. Witness the way
      the thin blade of grass bends
      beneath her insignificant weight. Then,
      as her abdomen curves inward, I realise
      the work she is about. Sure enough
      as she lifts off I see it there, the egg,
      pale and newly laid. I kneel then --- and the kneeling,
      it is as if to prayer --- and I see it there,
      the summer yet to come.

      Gene Poole
      OSS

      I've been wondering for many months now through all of this....why
      at times, I find it difficult to express myself with words...

      And then today....in the most simplest of ways...it came to me
      that....language is very much wrapped around the official
      paradigm......The meaning of words has evolved from the official
      world...and grows from and around its structure of belief systms...

      What becomes difficult...is to know the official world as a
      falsity....which from it has come the only language known....and
      then attempt to use these same words as a means of describing
      "truth"....Virtually impossible at first........Thusly,....has come
      metaphor. allegory and analogy...

      It is like a weight removed in understanding this......

      Norma

      Gene:
      Yes... absolutely... you speak truly!

      Congratulations, Norma... !

      Think of a space, a place in the woods, which has been designated
      to be the place where all can come and share... like a marketplace
      or village commons...

      Now imagine that a crew of bullies  has taken it over... that they will
      disallow any business which does not serve their ends...

      Now imagine that these bullies... have the means to censor anyone
      who would _define_ their behaviour of take-over and control as what
      it is...  their rule has become 'unquestionable'... because they have
      disallowed the very words which can describe their actions, and the
      implications of their actions...

      Now imagine that these bullies have implanted their 'censor' in the
      minds of all local residents... so that even the attempt to _think_
      of why the meeting place is no longer available for general use,
      will result in a blank mind, perplexity,or a headache...

      Some philosopher once said: "All power belongs to those who
      _own_ the definitions of words".

      It has been stated... that the first necessary task of those who
      wish to seize power... is to assume control of word-definitions.

      I mean to imply, by saying these things, that those who grieve
      for the loss of the communal sharing space, and who wish to
      reclaim it for its original purpose... need first to understand
      that it is impossible to 'negotiate' with the  crew of bullies, while
      complying with the rules of communication (the grammars)
      which are owned by the bullies. It is necessary first to wrest
      away from the _assumed-to-be default controllers_ , the
      ownership of the definitions which they have usurped.

      ***

      It is know by only a few... that the internal arguments which
      we are subject to, and subjugated by, are due to the
      implantation of the 'internal censor' to which I allude above...

      The effect of the censor... is akin to shutting the door of the
      shower-stall... sounds, words, uttered in the stall, will echo
      therein, in that  small space... and so it is, in the small space
      of the 'individual mind'... whole words are not returned in
      the echo, but merely energetic bounces... this is what the
      'ordinary' (censored) person calls 'internally reflecting'...
      also called 'internal considering'...

      The overall effect, is that of 'beating oneself up'... via the
      force of the returned echo, which lacks the information-
      content, stripped away by the censor, leaving  only the
      raw energy... which may be defined as violence... this
      is the use of and waste of force, a drain of power...

      Now, contrast that small cubicle with the vastness of the
      open mountain spaces... the echo is returned whole...
      entire phrases are understood... this is called 'external
      considering'... and it is what is _meant to_ (by design)
      be the communal sharing-space for all sentient Beings...
      Yes... our communal sharing-space, allows the thinking
      of all minds in the same space... the true commons...
      and this has been usurped by those, who would exploit
      all of us... it is an ancient tradition of social control... it has
      become 'catholic' or 'universal' and is not questioned...
      but that has not diminished the suffering which is
      engendered in persons whose thoughts are sheer
      turmoil... a hurricane of force...

      But... this species of control-manipulation-exploitation,
      which is imposed on each person essentially at birth,
      passed on as a 'proud tradition', can actually be seen,
      and overcome... by individual persons. A person who
      will discipline to consider 'externally'... in whole words
      and phrases... will escape the destructive force of
      internal considering... and it is our space of sharing,
      in which we may 'interthink'... which is occupied by
      those who would make us all into confused, servile
      zombies, bowing to those who wield the greatest
      force...

      Implicit in language, is the grammar which allows that
      language to cohere... an embedded system of approval/
      disapproval which validates or invalidates any particular
      usage... it does not need to be taught, it is embedded...

      <http://www.bartleby.com/61/6/G0080600.html>

      rest of message may be read at:

      DAVID BOZZI
      NDS

      WOLFGANG
      E-zendo

      Sawaki Roshi: "When a person is alone, he's not so bad. When a
      group  is formed, paralysis occurs, and people become so confused
      that they  cannot judge what is right or wrong. Some people go into
      a group  situation on purpose, just to experience group paralysis,
      even paying  a fee. Often people advertise in order to bring people
      together for  some political or spiritual purpose and only create
      group paralysis.  Buddhist practitioners keep distance from society,
      not to escape from  it, but to avoid this paralysis."

      Today, when sorting out papers, I found this piece from 'The Zen
      teaching  of "homeless" Kôdô' [Sawaki].

      gassHo () Wolfgang

      LEE LOVE & MARIO
      E-zendo

      First, a seeker of the way must know himself - JIUN.

      The ritual practice of ichi (a line) and enso (a circle) is  part of Zen
      philosophy. For Zen calligraphers, the single stroke ichi  is
      equivalent to the `a' of Siddham. Concentration of this stroke is of
      paramount importance since the first touch of the brush to the paper
      reveals the state of the mind of the calligrapher. The ichi has to be
      drawn from left to right with full strength at the beginning as well as
       at the end. Enso, the circle of infinity practised by Zen monks for
      years, is a symbol of simplicity with profundity, emptiness with
      fullness, the visible and the nonvisible.

      Also learn that the entire universe is the dharma body of the self ..
      what Buddhists call the self is the entire universe. Therefore, there
      is never an entire universe that is not the self, with or without our
      knowing it .. When all buddhas of the three worlds arouse the
      thought  of practice & enlightenment, they never exclude our body
      & mind.

      Dogen

      Jan Sultan
      NDS
      Book Review: Awareness by Anthony de Mello

      In this book Tony destroys every concept or belief that you have held. Not
      just your religious beliefs, your political beliefs, your social beliefs,
      your psychological beliefs, but all of them. He shows you the hypocrisy of
      love, renunciation, charity, piousness, relationships, friendship, altruism
      [even giving up your life for love or country], etc.

      Tony was an Enlightened Jesuit priest [A Christian Mystic] who realized the
      universality of the deepest truth and incorporated the wisdom of Buddhism,
      Sufism and Advaita into his teachings. The inclusion of Buddhist or
      Nasiruddin type parables makes this book fun to read.

      Here is a sampling of the book:

      Come home to yourself. Observe yourself. That's why I say that self-
      observation is such a delightful and extraordinary thing. After a
      while you don't have to make any effort, because, as illusions begin
      to crumble, you begin to know things that cannot be described.
      It's called happiness. Everything changes and you become addicted to
      awareness.

      There's the story of the disciple who went to the master and
      said, "Could you give me a word of wisdom? Could you tell me
      something that would guide me through my days?" It was the master's
      day of silence, so he picked up a pad. It said, "Awareness."

      When the disciple saw it, he said, "This is too brief. Can you expand
      on it a bit?" So the master took back the pad and wrote, "Awareness,
      awareness, awareness." The disciple said, "Yes, but what does it
      mean?" The master took back the pad and wrote, "Awareness, awareness,
      awareness means awareness.

      That's what it is to watch yourself. No one can show you how to do
      it, because he would be giving you a technique, he would be
      programming you. But watch yourself. When you talk to someone, are
      you aware of it or are you simply identifying with it? When you got
      angry with somebody, were you aware that you were angry or were you
      simply identifying with your anger?
      Later, when you had the time, did you study your experience and
      attempt to understand it? Where did it come from? What brought it on?
      I don't know of any other way to awareness. You only change what you
      understand. What you do not understand and are not aware of, you
      repress. You don't change. But when you understand it, it changes.
      --------------------------
      Someone once said, "The three most difficult things for a human being
      are not physical feats or intellectual achievements. They are, first,
      returning love for hate; second, including the excluded; third,
      admitting that you are wrong." But these are the easiest things in
      the world if you haven't identified with the "me." You can say things
      like "I'm wrong! If you knew me better, you'd see how often I'm
      wrong. What would you expect from an ass?" But if I haven't
      identified with these aspects of "me," you can't hurt me.
      Initially, the old conditioning will kick in and you'll be depressed
      and anxious. You'll grieve, cry, and so on. "Before enlightenment, I
      used to be depressed: after enlightenment, I continue to be
      depressed." But there's a difference: I don't identify with it
      anymore. Do you know what a big difference that is?
      -------------------------
      Isn't that a paradox? And you're willing to let this cloud come in,
      because the more you fight it, the more power you give it. You're
      willing to observe it as it passes, by. You can be happy in your
      anxiety. Isn't that crazy? You can be happy in your depression. But
      you can't have the wrong notion of happiness. Did you think happiness
      was excitement or thrills? That's what causes the depression., Didn't
      anyone tell you that? You're thrilled, all right, but you're just
      preparing the way for your next depression. You're thrilled but you
      pick up the anxiety behind that: How can I make it last? That's not
      happiness, that's addiction.
      essence of his writings.

      Jan
      DREW HEMPEL
      NDS

      Hi -- My critique of Wilber is on the web -- just
      search for "Epicenters of Justice" and its under the
      second section, "Restoring the Lost Logos."

      I can't really summarize the work of Master Nan,
      Hui-Chin's two main books, "Working Toward
      Enlightenment" and "Realizing Enlightenment."  They
      are a must read for anyone who wants very specific,
      very helpful information.  He is an extremely
      prominent Buddhist Master, highly regarded, and he
      thoroughly critiques almost all spiritual leaders
      understanding of enlightenment.  He is very specific
      and his critique definitely applies to Ken Wilber and
      Andrew Cohen.  It's a shame that even though Master
      Nan is a bestseller in China, he still remains unknown
      in the U.S.  But then the U.S. doesn't really have
      much of a spiritual tradition -- mass genocide,
      slavery, imperialism all over the world, etc.

      All is One, drew

      HUR GULER
      NDS

      drew hempel wrote:
       Also the Dalai Lama has worked closely with the CIA

      alongside james bond 007 dalai lama worked for the british secret
      service as well.  dalai lama's number was 0000 (symbolizing
      emptiness) but he was affectionally called by other agents as rama
      lama ding dong.  james bond liked his martini shaken but not
      stirred.  dalai lama ordered his fermented yak milkshake churned
      plenty with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.

      here is a transcript of a secret dialogue with james bond and dalai
      lama:

      James Bond: "World domination. The same old dream. Our asylums are
      full of people who think they're Jesus or Dalai Lama."

      Dalai Lama quietly sips his yak shake.

      James Bond: "Now hear this, Dalai Lama, your luck has changed."

      Dalai Lama: "james, nothing ever happens in my world.

      James Bond:  "i don't get it."

      Dalai Lama: "Discipline, 007, Discipline."

      James Bond: "My dear Lama, don't flatter yourself with this spiritual
      mumbo jumbo. What I did this evening was for King and country. You
      don't think it gave me any pleasure, do you?"

      Dalai Lama: .....(just silence)

      James Bond: "There's always something formal about the point of a
      pistol."

      Dalai Lama: "Do I look like the sort of man who'd make trouble?"

      James Bond: With a licence to kill, in my business you prepare for
      the unexpected."

      Dalai Lama's soft yogic stare didn't flicker....He said "Mr. Bond,
      they have a saying in Tibet: "Once is happenstance. Twice is
      reincarnation. The third time is a stupid mistake.".