Wednesday, September 18, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2002

      Robert S. Wilson
      "Room to Think", oil on canvas, 7" x 20", $550
      <http://www.turquoisetortoise.com/wilson/wilson9.htm>

      #1201 - Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - Editor: Jerry - Home:http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      JERRY
      from NDS

      "the Chinese Ch'an Buddhist tradition (and later in Japan
      & Korea), basically, emphasized that the question
      doesn't matter so long as it snags you." --takdjc

      There's probably a unique question for each person, if
      everyone would trust themselves, their own wonder and
      confusion, and not be in such a hurry to listen to
      someone else. This is why the internet, with all the
      stuff that goes down here, is probably best to stay away
      from for many people. It makes it impossible to just be
      alone. Not alone by way of avoidance, but by way of
      entry into one's own inquiry.

      JAN SULTAN
      from Sufi Mystic

      The Master was an advocate both of learning and of
      Wisdom.

      "Learning," he said when asked, "is gotten by reading
      books or listening to  lectures."

      "And Wisdom?"

      "By reading the book that is you."

      He added as an afterthought: "Not an easy task at all,
      for every minute of  the day brings a new edition of the
      book!"

      One Minute Wisdom - Anthony De Mello Gujarat Sahitya
      Prakash © 1985

      DREW HEMPEL
      from NDS

      Hi Everyone: H.W.L. Poonja, stated that there were only
      a few Fully Realized  people alive. But also only these
      people can acknowledge  each other. But Ramana teaches
      that only the SELF is  real and that it takes great
      effort to unrealize the  unreal.

      According to Master Nan, Hua-Chi -- most people get to
      where I got -- they begin to achieve one-pointed
      concentration but when this happens the body's energy
      channels open up. The person experiences direct
      knowledge and they achieve basic supernatural powers.

      What happens, according to Master Nan, is that people
      get attached to those powers and thus lose the focus on
      the nondual source.

      This is what happened to me, but luckily I did heal my
      Mom of a serious debilitating condition.

      If I had been practicing Self-enquiry at the time then I
      think there would have been a better chance I could have
      kept the mind directed inward to the Source. Those type
      of powers always happen through the Truth.

      It's unfortunate that western culture doesn't have a
      tradition of training in nondualism. There have been a
      few saints who achieved it intuitively but then they had
      to create their own descriptions and theology for coming
      home.

      The question is do we want to focus on the truth or not?
      The Tao, the Buddha, God, the Self, the Cosmic Mother
      are in all dimensions and are beyond space-time and we
      are That (we just don't know it yet).

      How to keep progressing? Who is it that is progressing?
      The key is to achieve a one-pointed mind and then
      no-mind and then to keep going in "internal intention"
      or "direct knowledge" -- until the mind-body-universe is
      completely returned to the Source that it already is.

      GLORIA LEE

      H.W.L. Poonja (PAPAJI)

      1910 — 1997

      You are looking at a photograph of the man who is
      probably more responsible than anyone else for the
      current wave of interest in Advaita Vedanta in the West.
      His admirers call him "Papaji," and he was a devotee of
      Sri Ramana Maharshi. There are at least three reasons
      for Papaji's remarkable influence. First, he was
      incredibly effective at making people wake up. Second,
      he emphasized the aspect of Advaita Vedanta that appeals
      most to Westerners: the idea that realization is
      available immediately without effort. And third, he
      authorized thousands of Westerners to teach in his name.
      [..]

      He moved his family into his father's house, resigned
      his commission, and left home to look for a guru. His
      search ended when he met Ramana Maharshi, who pointed
      out to him that visions of Krishna come and go, but the
      seer — the one who sees Krishna — is permanently
      present. "God cannot be an object that appears and
      disappears," said Sri Ramana, "so find out who the seer
      is."

      As Poonja later recalled:

      For the first time ever I heard, "Find out who the seer
      is."

      With the master [Sri Ramana], I got the experience. This
      experience was already here. When we love God, we think
      he is an object. But he is the subject. So you have to
      surrender to the subject. The ego is the object.

      <http://www.realization.org/page/topics/poonja.htm>

      NINA
      from Open Source Spirit

      contemplations on: dialogue listening silence

      Greetings,

      The following pieces are contemplations on a recently
      felt dead end that seek (and find) an open end.

      Hope you're all doing well...

      Nina

      *

      What if

      dialogues

      were not

      monologues

      in disguise

      *

      What if

      the inherent intelligence of all

      were assumed

      *

      What if

      instead of lines

      dialogues

      were circles

      or even better

      webs

      *

      What if

      webs

      are

      intelligence

      *

      What if

      webs

      are

      one way

      of understanding

      the space

      in dialogue

      which doesn't assume

      the eminance

      of one part

      over the

      whole

      *

      di-a-logue 1: a written composition in which two or more
      characters are represented as conversing 2 a: a
      conversation between two or more persons; also : a
      similar exchange between a person and something else (as
      a computer) b: an exchange of ideas and opinions 3: the
      conversational element of literary or dramatic
      composition 4: a musical composition for two or more
      parts suggestive of conversation

      *

      Utne Reader, July/August 2002 2 Articles, with excerpts,
      below.

      1. The Power of Talk - Create Social Change by Starting
      a Conversation (Margaret J. Wheatley)

      ... But true conversation... is a timeless and reliable
      way for humans to think together. Before there were
      classrooms, meetings, or group facilitators, there were
      people sitting around talking. When we think about
      beginning a conversation, we can take courage from the
      fact that this is a process we all know how to do. We
      are reawakening an ancient practice, a way of being
      together that all humans intimately understand. ... If
      conversation is the natural way that humans think
      together, what gets lost when we stop talking? ...
      Another surprising but important element of conversation
      is a willingness to be disturbed, to allow our beliefs
      and ideas to be challenged by what others think. No one
      person or perspective can solve our problems. We have to
      be willing to let go of our certainty and be confused
      for a time. Most of us weren't trained to admit what we
      don't know. We haven't been rewarded for being confused,
      or for asking questions rather than giving quick
      answers. We were taught to sound certain and confident.
      But the only way to understand the world in its
      complexity is to spend more time in the state of not
      knowing. It is very difficult to give up our dertainties
      - the positions, beliefs and explanations that lie at
      the heart of our personal identities. And I am not
      saying that we have to give up what we believe. We only
      need to be curious about what others believe, and to
      acknowledge that their way of interpreting the world
      might be essential to us. ...

      2. Deep Listening - the Surprising Pleasure of Not
      Talking (from 'Salons - the Joy of Conversation', Jaida
      N'Ha Sandra and Jon Spayde)

      ... Listening is the foundation of conversation. Through
      hearing others carefully, we are able to step
      imaginatively and empathetically into their shoes, and
      to experience the world from an entirely different point
      of view, if only for a few moments...listening "between
      the lines" as someone speaks, "hearing the feelings and
      the intentions as well as the words. It requires
      tremendous discipline." ... When you listen deeply to
      others, you may find yourself without anything clever or
      moving to say when your turn comes around. But this lack
      of preparation is a blessing in disguise: it gives you
      access to spontaneous and heartfelt words. ... As any
      group becomes accustomed to active listening and
      unprepared speaking, you'll find everyone's words
      growing in feeling, meaning and impact.

      *

      How many times

      have I spoken

      something

      to someone else

      when actually

      was speaking

      to myself

      *

      http://www.co-intelligence.org/P-listeningcircles.html

      *

      The following excerpt from

      http://quakerscotland.gn.apc.org/glasgow/firsttime.htm

      A Quaker Meeting is a way of worship based on silence, a
      silence of expectancy in which we seek to come nearer to
      God and each other as we share the stillness of the
      Meeting. Participants are not expected to say or do
      anything other than join in this seeking. Do not be
      concerned if the silence seems strange at first. We
      rarely experience silence in everyday life so it is not
      unusual to be distracted by outside noise or roving
      thoughts.

      Occasionally a Meeting will pass with no words spoken.
      If someone feels compelled by the Spirit to speak, pray
      or read, the silence will be broken. Such ministry,
      which has not been planned before worship begins, seeks
      to enrich the gathered worship. If something is said
      that does not seem to make sense try to reach behind the
      words to the Spirit which inspired them or allow them to
      be absorbed into the silence. Meeting for Worship is not
      a debate so it is inappropriate to respond directly to
      spoken ministry although it is not unusual for other
      ministry to build on what has been said before.

      In worship we have our neighbours to right and left,
      before and behind, yet the Eternal Presence is over all
      and beneath all. Worship does not consist in achieving a
      mental state of concentrated isolation from one's
      fellows. But in the depth of common worship it is as if
      we found our separate lives were all one life, within
      whom we live and move and have our being.

      Thomas R. Kelly (1938); from Quaker Faith and Practice,
      para 2.36, published by Britain Yearly Meeting

      *

      Listening

      is

      much harder