June 12

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 1999
      Hi Everybody! Enclosed is the 'best' of Nonduality Salon for June 12.
      Again, we bring a mixed collection of nondual perspectives, more
      intelligence, more deep glances and looks intended to burn through the
      self, the illusion. We are an amazing group, if I do say so myself. Have
      a good week.

      Jerry

      Marcia:

      The hardest thing for me to remember is that I did not
      cause that gloomy look on his face. He learned that
      one a long time before he met me. He even used it
      on a woman or two before me. My idiocy is to
      think that somehow I can cause everything in the
      world. That is pretty self centered really. Once I
      remember that I am free. And more often than not
      it frees him up also. But even if it doesn't I no longer
      have to bear the burden of his gloom.

      Xan:

      I keep running into my own idiotic solitary dance
      and noticing all that seems to hold it in repetition
      is the familiarity.
      It's not doing anything for me but that.
      Except, of course, shielding me from absolute freedom.

      Tim Gerchmez:

      There's only one reason why nonduality effects everything and everyone.
      That is because nonduality is all there is.

      Jan:

      The dilemma that arises is difficult to solve with language. The "i" as
      the identification with mind/body has a "you" as its opposite. One's
      real nature doesn't have opposites so calling it "I" or "Self" or
      "consciousness" is name-giving because any name automatically refers to
      the absence of its opposite. Yet the experience of "no-self" is a fact
      in a sense there isn't a "controller" or a "center of will" or a
      "decider" or a "doer", unless the entire habit mind is emptied. The
      illusion of being the controller is what makes up for the seeming
      presence of "self" and witness. Without a "self", the witness is no more
      too.

      Jerry:

      Yes, I too feel younger now. I find the older I get in years, the better
      I feel overall. One taps into a kind of youth, spiritual youth, to use
      your words, that is always untouched and unscarred, even when one is old
      and ill. I think many people who simply enjoy being alive and active
      know that 'spiritual youth' whether they are spiritual people or not.

      Andrew Macnab:

      ...nothing is dropped, discarded, reviled;
      it is consumed, sacrament, sustainance. All is holy. Temporal life is
      food for true life. Relative is relative to itself and it is relative to
      absolute, but all including relative is absolute. The scene becomes the
      scene only through the viewer, and the viewer is made the viewer by the
      scene. I am Alpha and Omega (and the sound of Alpha and Omega is "AUM").
      Loving care for the new born, the one clinging soft winged to the pupal
      case.
      No come-alongs, but sound the alarm, the walls of the cave are
      collapsing..
      If one is free all are free; if one is bound all are bound. The
      Judgement day is always right now, and the judge is the unicorn.

      Gloria Lee:

      Addressing My Soul

      Within my mind I saw no change,
      And conscience would not rearrange.
      So if my fears I were to surrender,
      Who would be my heart's defender?
      I wish no more to suffer speech,
      Words with meaning out of reach.

      Seeing how I've fallen prey
      To all my views -forsake-
      Walking down the narrows of my mind.
      I just pretend this life I make.

      So in silence may I dwell,
      There within all secrets tell.
      Onto joy I'll surely hold,
      In my smile it will be told.
      Then without a single word,
      You may be sure my voice is heard.

      The watcher of this pageantry,
      Wonders if soul may be the absent me;
      Who pardons my "presence" with a kiss,
      And simply returns to bliss.

      Marcia:

      I have a friend and when I look into his eyes I
      feel all the wonders of the sacred sexual chemistry.
      We will never dance. Ah, yes, we are both
      committed to someone else. And....we will never
      dance for another reason. This reason I see in his
      eyes also. A tremendous strength forged in the
      fires of hell. For you see he will never dance. Not
      in this lifetime anyway. He will never dance because
      he is crippled. My heart breaks right open and he
      and I enter the sacred chamber in total silence. I
      shed silent tears of love and in his great strength
      and compassion he comforts me. And somehow
      we both feel complete.

      Tim Gerchmez:

      There is a place where life is eternally minted anew, every second,
      every instant. In this place, every moment is full of nothing but
      POSSIBILITY. It is the very place that life itself exists and
      continually renews itself. Most of us focus our attention on the past,
      which is gone, or the future, which is unreal. The place I refer to is
      the "Eternal Now Moment." Dwelling there, there is only joy, because
      life has only possibilities and nothing else. At this borderline to
      eternity, it is seen that life continually ceases and renews itself
      afresh, forever, timelessly. Here is found no predestination, no cages
      of dumb habit and ceaseless repetition of old patterns, but total
      liberation. Each instant constantly dies and is renewed, and thus life
      is ever fresh and new and unpredictable, like a cool mountain stream.
      There are no looks back to the past, and no projection into a future,
      because neither exist in this place. It is seen here that all is still,
      that time does not exist. This is still-point -- the place from which
      all life arises. Here lies a gateway to Eternity.

      Gloria Lee:

      It reminds me of some story about how the wake of the boat only marks
      our passage and is not pushing the boat. The wind in our sails is, ever
      fresh and new. I forget where I heard that metaphor, but your writing
      evoked the memory of it. It also speaks to Ramana's remarks that there
      is no predestination, nor free will. The wind blows....

      I am glad to see more expression of feelings emerging with your concern
      for truth. Someone once impressed me with the fact that truth and love
      are the same, and cannot be separated, as any supposed difference is
      another duality illusion. Only in limited, relative reality do they
      appear as different and distinguishable. If you try interchanging one
      word for the other in your reading and thoughts, it makes for some
      interesting insights.

      Gene Poole responds to Andrew Macnab:

      > Thank you Gene for your shining post.

      Thanks to you, Andrew, for corresponding with me. It is your presence
      which makes this possible.

      > Yes, nothing is dropped, discarded, reviled;
      > it is consumed, sacrament, sustainance. All is holy. Temporal life is >food for true life. Relative is relative to itself and it is relative >to absolute, but all including relative is absolute.

      Yes, yes, and yes. "All including relative is absolute".

      > The scene becomes the scene only through the
      > viewer, and the viewer is made the viewer by the scene.

      Yes. I hope that this fact is not skipped over as a mere 'new aphorism'
      to read once and forget. This is what is stated by the finest secret
      oral teachings of the Shamans of ancient Tibet. It is in 'realizing'
      this, that one may be at peace, at a very basic and elementary level.
      That peace soon attains to true emptiness. The inner 'I/Eye' will gaze
      upon basic reality, if it is not assigned endless and essentially
      undoable tasks. In so gazing, distracted less and less by this
      understood reprioritzation of values, the 'absolute' is seen to come
      into existence as the 'scene'; it may come in flashes, sudden events of
      awareness, and it may come as a slow seeping or infiltration. At that
      point of seeing, the viewer knows themself as the absolute, seeing the
      absolute; the absolute seeing itself. It is not a reflection, it is it.
      The illusion of reflection is actually what makes separation 'seemingly
      possible', with all of the lifetimes of trouble that come with the
      assumption of separation.

      It is possible to articulate all of the many and various steps and
      versions of this process or 'path', and such has been done in the inner
      teachings of Vajrayana. Nothing definite is ever 'found'. By a lengthy
      practice of daily 'ruling out' (or as some would say, 'neti-neti'), this
      process of the realization of the seer is accomplished. It may take
      'time', but at a certain point, the practice actually becomes
      transtemporal (across time); eventually, one is able to 'enlighten' not
      only themself, but also all of their ancestors. As you say, as long as
      one is bound, all are bound. This is literally true. That is why it is
      so important to give attention to the _process_ of unbinding.

      Many dramatic stories, designed to recruit or enroll the 'needy', have
      infiltrated the literature of spirituality. These dramatic stories,
      which portray the romance of attainment, are like the wind that will
      blow out the match you are trying to light. Even an old, weak and
      somewhat damp match will ignite, in the absence of that sort of wind.

      That wind is known as 'Vata', in the terminology of the ancient way of
      Ayurveda, the Indian science of health and healing. 'Vata' is composed
      of two 'forces' or 'properties', those being that of _movement_ (like
      wind of air) and also _space_, called Aether. It is that space which is
      consciousness; it is that wind, generated by the passions of attachment
      and aversion, which disturb (perturb) that space which is consciousness.
      Movement of consciousness is only occuring when there is stimulation to
      that space; stimulation to that space may be from memory, or from the
      environment. Much and troublesome stimulation to that space which is
      consciousness, occurs if memory is parsing the environment, continually
      culling in subtraction of 'neti-neti' or 'ruling out.

      Neti-neti and ruling out must be done. The point is, to do that practice
      to _clear space_, not to add a hurricane to that space which is
      consciousness. This is why gentleness must be learned and exercised, at
      least in regard to oneself. Getting extreme or rough with oneself, leads
      only to more and more violent and self-punishing movements in that
      space. Having compassion for oneself, one learns that in dealing with
      oneself, one may create peace and space in ones own life. It is that
      space which is the workshop of the conscious self.

      This is entirely different than dealing with 'others', but eventually
      the practice will infiltrate the lives of those around us. This event
      leads to lessening of worrying feedback from others, or what _seems_ to
      be others attitudes of criticalness toward oneself. When those two
      factors are attended to... the factors of relationship with _self_ and
      then with _others_... at that point, much space is freed. It is in that
      space that is freed, that the 'real work' may begin. It all starts with
      our ability to recognize that we are a real Being, with feelings,
      attachments, and that it is more productive to the work, to have plenty
      of space to do that work in. Adding huge files of 'shoulds' and
      'shouldnots', no matter how holy-seeming, in an attempt to do something
      good, only adds movement to the space which is consciousness.
      Self-regulation is possible; gentleness and compassion for _oneself_ is
      the foundational step. The work... is to gain that space which is the
      power.

      >I am Alpha and Omega (and the sound of Alpha and Omega is "AUM").
      >Loving care for the new born, the one clinging soft winged to the pupal >case.

      Yes. Each of us was and is that vulnerable Being, in our own time.

      > No come-alongs, but sound the alarm, the walls of the cave are collapsing..
      > If one is free all are free; if one is bound all are bound. The Judgement
      >day is
      > always right now, and the judge is the unicorn.

      Indeed... the judge is the Unicorn. And to insure that my 'Unicorn'
      metaphor does not lose potency, I will mention that we are speaking of
      actual, real Unicorns here, not some vague and mushy idea of Unicorns.

      Once again I thank you, Andrew / �-�.

      ...Got a truthpick?

      ==Gene Poole==

      Jan:

      The witness is only a witness in relation to self. Without self, nothing
      remains to say a witness is left. A new situation arises where nothing
      is left to witness. BTW, letting go suggests a return. One cannot "let
      go" as a kind of trial to see "what is left". Something that speaks much
      more to the imagination than self are feelings. Either one has feelings
      or one doesn't. Suspension of all feelings is dreamless sleep or total
      narcosis. So one cannot imagine how it is to be fully awake, yet
      entirely without feelings, and likewise one cannot imagine to be without
      self, no matter what intellectual game one is playing. This is the
      meaning that when self is no more, neither is the witness.

      Skye:

      The solitary moon shines over the still clear lake,
      But in the pool there is no moon,
      The moon is in the night blue sky.