Monday, September 16, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2002

      from <http://www.iastate.edu/~ucc/diversity.html>

      #1199 - Monday, September 16, 2002 - Editor: Jerry - Home: <http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm>

      There is a story about a man who used to play with his
      young daughter every evening after work. One evening he
      was tired and just wanted to sit down and read the
      newspaper. He found a picture of the world in the
      newspaper and tore it into pieces and, giving the pieces
      to his daughter, told her when she had put the puzzle
      together they would play. He thought he would be able to
      relax for a while, but his daughter was back in a very
      short time.

      He asked her how she was able to put the picture
      together so quickly. She said, “It was simple - on the
      back was a picture of a man. I put the man together and
      the world took care of itself.”

      The following was posted by a gentlemAn to the NDS
      Bulletin Board yesterday:
      You can respond to him privately or on the Bulletin Board.

      I'm a schoolteacher. It's a difficult row to hoe and I'm
      not sure how much longer I will continue to do so. I've
      been put on probation until December...it's a long
      story. I'm most content to do nothing, though once I
      overcome the inertia I'm able to move in a fairly
      coherent manner. My lack of will is most evident. The
      job puts many demands on me, and in the midst of my day
      I feel pretty much like an automaton. My memory is
      abysmal. I feel like a zombie. Perhaps I sound
      depressed, but I'm not. I found myself in this state
      following the collapse of a two month period of an
      oceanic, I-feel-like-Jesus awakening nearly six years
      ago while living in San Francisco. Does this match
      anyone else's experience here? I identify most closely
      with Bernadette Roberts' account. If this is
      enlightenment, I need to lose a few more pounds.

      "Great images."

      from NDS

      "Then there came at the end of a four day binge a moment
      of absolute certainty that that phase of my life was
      over. It was like a switch had been thrown. The
      obsession was gone. It wasn't a matter of having to
      resist or do anything. It was gone. And what was
      staggeringly clear is that I hadn't done it."
      --Wayne Liquorman

      I was saying something similar to someone
      the other day.....having had that experience first
      with stopping smoking, and then, more recently, I
      had that kind of experience with craving foods.  It
      was exactly like a switch had been thrown, and the
      obsessions were gone.  With both the smoking
      and food habits , there had been years of inner struggle
      between those cravings and the more 'responsible'
      side of me.  And always the craving....and the
      obsession.....was stronger.  Until one day, the
      compulsion dropped.   And, in both instances, it
      was clear that they had not been dropped by
      'me' - not because of any great will on *my* part.
      Not at all.  Both times it showed me clearly that
      'I' was not in charge.

      And when I look back at really pivotal times
      in my life....times when my life took a real 'turn'
      of direction....it is clear to me that I was not in
      charge then either.   Each one had a taste of
      the 'hand of god' moving things around a bit...
      kind of like chess pieces....where I happened
      to be in just the right place at just the right time,

      or when impulses and ideas arose seemingly out of
      the blue.... and I found myself following them
      without question.

      And yet, even with all this experience, my mind
      has been preoccupied of late with worry about
      future finances.....knowing that a source of income
      will fall away in the coming months.

      On one hand it amazes me that after all the
      examples that Life has shown me that there IS
      no doer,  that in times of uncertainty, my thoughts
      would return so automatically to putting one in

      Sometimes these thoughts begin running themselves,
      and all of a sudden I 'snap out of it' for a few moments.
      Then, instead of swimming in worry, I just observe it for
      a while.....and observe the toll that worry takes on my
      body.   I observe it much like I observed the toll that
      my smoking and eating habits took on my body, as

      I guess, in a way, that's what worry is - just another
      habit.  But it's a habit that feeds on a sense of doership.
      It's a habit fed by thoughts that there is an 'I' that can
      make things happen one way, and not another.....

      despite all evidence to the contrary.

      It certainly isn't logical.  But then again, neither
      was my smoking and eating habits either.

      And so, I very much appreciate what Ramesh says
      about compulsions being some people's sadhana.
      It certainly has been so for me.  Each compulsion
      revealing deeper and deeper layers of ego-identification...

      each compulsion digging down deeper to the root
      of the 'sense' of me-ness.

      from Petros Truth

      Blissful experiences are a great help early on the path,
      as they give you a certain motivation to continue. They
      can be a dangerous "hook" and blockage, however, when
      you hold onto them or continue to try to recapture them
      and make them the whole focus of your spiritual life.
      This includes activities like visiting every new "guru"
      or taking every program or seminar that comes to town,
      in the hopes of recapturing some great insight or
      feeling you once had. Anything that comes and goes in
      this fashion cannot ever be the ultimate truth. That
      most basic Fact of your existence is not something that
      can be felt, for if it were a feeling, it could be lost

      Shortcut to this page:

      MARASOLD: Is there any  online resource that u could
      refer me to for the  reasoning of sankara and gautama on
      non-duality. I  appreciate your comments.

      Dear Friend

      The Nyaya Aphorisms of Sage Gautama can be downloaded in
      devanagari script (Sanskrit) from the internet. But, I
      am not sure whether there is an English translated
      version available in the internet. In India, we have
      'Motilal Banarsidass & Co', the publishers of spiritual
      books, who have published this book in English
      translated by some Sanskrit Scholar. I had read this
      more than 15 years ago. This contains about 400-odd
      aphorisms on metaphysical logic.

      As for Sage Sankara's commentarial works, they are
      mainly three. His commentaries on the Gita, Upanishads
      and the Brahma Sutras Since Sanskrit has been declining
      over many years and it is only now in the last decade,
      it is resurging, there are very few reliable
      translations of Sage Sankara's works. For translating
      His works, one needs an extraordinary competence in
      Sanskrit, English and Vedanta.

      One Sri Krishna Warrier had translated Sage Shankara's
      commentary on the Gita. That man hailed from Kerala, one
      of the Southern States of India. And, the language
      spoken by the people of Kerala is Malayalam.
      Incidentally, Malayalam has its strong root in Sanskrit.
      And also, Sage Sankara was born in Kerala. Thus, Krishna
      Warrier had a native love for non-dual philosophy also.
      Again, he was a Professor of Sanskrit and Tagore (a
      great Indian Poet) Professor of Kerala University Thus,
      he brought out one of the most reliable translations of
      Sage Sankara's works in English.

      And, about 2 years ago, I typed out about 13 chapters of
      the English Translation for a e-list called 'advaita'
      over a period of about 6 months. And, incidentally, the
      13th chapter deals with Sankara's terse logic on the
      nature of Brahman/Self.

      I am posting Sage Sankara's commentary on the first
      couple of verses of Chapter 13 privately. After you have
      digested the same, you let me know. I will post the
      commentary on the next couple of verses

      Thanks and kind regards
      RK Shankar

      from the I Am list

      Question: Why does not Bhagavan go about and preach the
      truth to the  people at large?

      Sri Ramana Maharshi: How do you know I am not doing it?
      Does  preaching consist in mounting a platform and
      haranguing the people  around? Preaching is simple
      communication of knowledge; it can really  be done in
      silence only. What do you think of a man who listens to
      a  sermon for an hour and goes away without having been
      impressed by it  so as to change his life? Compare him
      with another, who sits in a  holy presence and goes away
      after some time with his outlook on life  totally
      changed. Which is the better, to preach loudly without
      effect  or to sit silently sending out inner force?

      Again, how does speech arise? First there is abstract
      knowledge. Out  of this arises the ego, which in turn
      gives rise to thought, and  thought to the spoken word.
      So the word is the great grandson of the  original
      source. If the word can produce an effect, judge for
      yourself how much more powerful must be the preaching
      through silence.

      Question: Does Bhagavan give diksha (initiation)?

      Sri Ramana Maharshi: Mouna (silence) is the best and the
      most potent  diksha. That was practised by Sri
      Dakshinamurti. Initiation by touch,  look, etc., are all
      of a lower order. Silent initiation changes the  hearts
      of all.

      Dakshinamurti observed silence when the disciples
      approached him.  That is the highest form of initiation.
      It includes the other forms.  There must be
      subject-object relationship established in the other
      diksha. First the subject must emanate and then the
      object. Unless  these two are there how is the one to
      look at the other or touch him?  Mouna diksha (silent
      initiation) is the most perfect; it comprises  looking,
      touching. It will purify the individual in every way and
       establish him in the reality.

      -- Hari Aum !!!