Monday, September 10, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2002

      From the indie film, "Went To Coney Island On A Mission From God ... Be Back By Five"

      #1192 - Monday, September 9, 2002 - Editor: Jerry - Home: <http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm>

      FREYJA
      from The Way Station

      "One of my best teachers"

      "I found one of my best teachers on the boardwalk at
      Coney Island many years ago. It was December, and I was
      doing a story about how the homeles suffer in the winter
       months. He and I sat on the edge of the wooden
      supports,  dangling our feet over the side, and he told
      me about  his schedule, panhandling the boulevard when
      the summer  crowds were gone, sleeping in a church when
      the  temperature went below freezing, hiding from the
      police  amid the Tilt-A-Whirl and the Cyclone and some
      of the  other seasonal rides.

      But he told me that most of the time he stayed on the
      boardwalk, facing the water, just the way we were
      sitting now, even when it got cold and he had to wear
      his newspapers after he had read them. And i asked him
      why. Why didnt he go to one of the shelters? Why didnt
      he check himself into the hospital for de-tox?

      And he stared out at the ocean and said, "Look at the
      view, young lady. Look at the view."

      And every day, in some little way, I try to do what he
      said. I try to look at the view. That's all. Words of
      wisdom from a man with not a dime in his pocket, no
      place to go, nowhere to be. Look at the view. When i do
      what he said, I am never disappointed."

      ~Anna Quindlen from the book "A Short Guide to a Happy
      Life"

      LOBSTER AND YOSY
      from Nasrudin list

      YOSY: hi friends, wish you all happy new (hebrew) year,
      (commencing today). lots of luck, health, joy and
      happiness. yosy

      LOBSTER: Happy New Year (what year is it?)

      YOSY: :) it's ha - tav shin samakh gimel (the hebrew
      dates are in letters representing numerical code; and
      the calendar is lunar). by regular reconing its the
      beginning of the year five thousand seven hundred sixty
      three (5763).

      LOBSTER: Nasrudin was always celebrating the festivities
      of other religions but when the Islamic festivities came
      around he wore black and was very sombre. A group of
      angry Muslim clerics finally asked him the meaning of
      this behaviour. 'Not everything is related,' explained
      Nasrudin, ' . . . so let's have a party!'

      YOSY: lol i'll drink and smoke to this! booooom!
      and as one of my friend suggested - may we have an
      uneventful year!

      "how old are you, nasrudin?"
      "fifty"
      "but how is it possible? you told me the same five years ago!"
      "right. a man should stick to his word, doesn't he?"

      IAMOM
      from Live Journal

      looking out, quietly
      images and sounds and smells fall gently on my senses
      they are perceived; interpreted automatically, without discrimination
      what is seen is seen
      what is heard is heard
      what is, is.
      everything is everything
      balanced: the perfect equation
      each side cancelled by the other
      equilibrium that results in nothingness
      from nothing, springs all
      no division, no distinction:
      all is nothing
      nothing is
      I AM

      RICECRICKET
      from Live Journal

      watched a little hispanic girl unzip her grandmother's suitcase
      while standing in line at the austin greyhound station. upon
      discovering the youthful transgression, the grandmother (missing
      most her bottom teeth), fiercely banished the unrepetant girl from
      her side.

      driving down guadalupe street, & as passing a toystore, espy on
      the sidewalk a homeless man tutoring a college kid in the fine art
      of the cat's cradle.

      these were the highlights of my day.

      ROBERT COOPER
      from Daily Dharma

      "Rouse yourself! Sit up!
      Resolutely train yourself to attain peace.
      Do not let the king of death, seeing you are careless,
      lead you astray and dominate you."

      ~Sutta Nipata II, 10

      BOB ROSE
      from Meditation Society of America

      Nardudin gets punished

      Once upon a time, there was a German, an Italian and Mullah Nasrudin
      on death row. The warden gave them a choice of three ways to die:
      1.  to be shot
      2.  to be hung
      3.  to be injected with the AIDS virus for a slow death.
      So the German said, "Shoot me right in the head."
      Boom, he was dead instantly.
      Then the Italian said, "Just hang me."
      Snap! he was dead.
      Then Nasrudin said, "Give me some of that AIDS stuff."
      They gave him the shot, and Nasrudin fell down laughing.
      The guards looked at each other and wondered what was wrong with this
      guy.
      Then Nasrudin said, "Give me another one of those shots," so the
      guards did. Now he was laughing so hard, tears rolled from his eyes
      and he doubled over.
      Finally the warden said, "What's wrong with you?"
      Nasrudin replied, "You guys are so stupid..... I'm wearing a condom."