Monday, September 2, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2002

      #1185  -  Monday, September 2, 2002  -  Editor: Jerry  -  Home: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      to capture the edge of a flame

      or the edge of infinity.

      This is the essence of non-duality.

                          Love, Mary (all wet)

      KHOROV
      from Daily Dharma list

      "Last night as I lay sleeping, I dreamt
      O, marvelous error -
      That there was a beehive here inside my heart
      And the golden bees were making white combs
      And sweet honey from all my failures" ~~ Machado de Assis

      (commentary:) "The golden bees are the force of the soul
      as it reworks experience into wisdom. ~~ Ram Dass

      From the book, "Still Here,"
      published by Riverhead Books

      to all.

      Here is the link :

      Edgar Hofer <http://www.owknet.net>

      The September issue of the TAT Forum is now available
      on-line at <http://www.tatfoundation.org/forum.htm>

      His Holiness the Dalai Lama's Message on the
      Commemoration of the 1st Anniversary of September 11,
      2001

      The September 11th, 2001 terrorist attacks on the World
      Trade Center and the Pentagon were deeply shocking and
      very sad. I regard such terrible destructive actions as
      acts of hatred, for violence is the result of
      destructive emotions. Events of this kind make clear
      that if we allow our human intelligence to be guided and
      controlled by negative emotions like hatred, the
      consequences are disastrous.

      How to respond to such an attack is a very difficult
      question to answer. Of course, those who are dealing
      with the problem may know better, but I feel that
      careful consideration is necessary and that it is
      appropriate to respond to an act of violence by
      employing the principles of non-violence. This is of
      great importance. The attacks on the United States were
      shocking, but retaliation that involves the use of
      further violence may not be the best solution in the
      long run.

      We must continue to develop a wider perspective, to
      think rationally and work to avert future disasters in a
      non-violent way. These issues concern the whole of
      humanity, not just one country. We should explore the
      use of non-violence as a long-term measure to control
      terrorism of every kind. We need a well-thought-out,
      coordinated long-term strategy. I believe there will
      always be conflicts and clash of ideas as long as human
      beings exist. This is natural. Therefore, we need an
      active method or approach to overcome such
      contradictions.

      In today's reality the only way of resolving differences
      is through dialogue and compromise, through human
      understanding and humility. We need to appreciate that
      genuine peace comes about through mutual understanding,
      respect and trust. Problems within human society should
      be solved in a humanitarian way, for which non-violence
      provides the proper approach.

      Terrorism cannot be overcome by the use of force because
      it does not address the complex underlying problems. In
      fact the use of force may not only fail to solve the
      problems, it may exacerbate them and frequently leaves
      destruction and suffering in its wake. Likewise, acts of
      terrorism, especially involving violence, only make
      matters worse. We must condemn terrorism not only
      because it involves violence but also because innocent
      people fall victims to senseless acts of terrorism such
      as what the world witnessed on September 11th.

      Human conflicts do not arise out of the blue. They occur
      as a result of causes and conditions, many of which are
      within the protagonists' control. This is where
      leadership is important. It is the responsibility of
      leaders to decide when to act and when to practice
      restraint. In the case of a conflict it is important to
      take necessary preventative measures before the
      situation gets out of hand. Once the causes and
      conditions that lead to violent clashes have fully
      ripened and erupted, it is very difficult to control
      them and restore peace. Violence undoubtedly breeds more
      violence. If we instinctively retaliate when violence is
      done to us, what can we expect other than that our
      opponent to also feel justified retaliating. This is how
      violence escalates. Preventative measures and restraint
      must be observed at an earlier stage. Clearly leaders
      need to be alert, far-sighted and decisive.

      In today's world expectations of war have changed. It is
      no longer realistic to expect that our enemy will be
      completely destroyed, or that victory will be total for
      us. Or, for that matter, can an enemy be considered
      absolute. We have seen many times that today's enemies
      are often tomorrow's allies, a clear indication that
      things are relative and very inter-related and
      inter-dependent. Our survival, our success, our
      progress, are very much related to others' well being.
      Therefore, we as well as our enemies are still very much
      interdependent. Whether we regard them as economic,
      ideological, or political enemies makes no difference to
      this. Their destruction has a destructive effect upon
      us. Thus, the very concept of war, which is not only a
      painful experience, but also contains the seeds of
      self-destruction, is no longer relevant.

      Similarly, as the global economy evolves, ever nation
      becomes to a greater or lesser extent dependent on every
      other nation. The modern economy, like the environment,
      knows no boundaries. Even those countries openly hostile
      to one another must cooperate in their use of the
      world's resources. Often, for example, they will be
      dependent on the same rivers or other natural resources.
      And the more interdependent our economic relationships,
      the more interdependent must our political relationships
      become.

      What we need today is education among individuals and
      nations, from small children up to political leaders to
      inculcate the idea that violence is counterproductive,
      that it is not a realistic way to solve problems, and
      that dialogue and understanding are the only realistic
      ways to resolve our difficulties.

      The anniversary of the tragic events of September 11,
      2001 provides us with a very good opportunity. There is
      a worldwide will to oppose terrorism. We can use this
      consensus to implement long-term preventative measures.
      This will ultimately be much more effective than taking
      dramatic and violent steps based on anger and other
      destructive emotions. The temptation to respond with
      violence is understandable but a more cautious approach
      will be more fruitful.

      The Dalai Lama
      Dharamsala, India