Saturday, August 31, 2002

  • Christiana Duranczyk
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2002
      Highlights #1183
      Saturday, August 31, 2002
      Editor: Christiana
      Art: Stanislaw Kors Creation of the Wind

      experience versus belief
      When you really experience your world, it is truth for you. If
      however you only "believe" in it, it is untruth and unreal. Once
      you deeply experience your life, you can be done with the
      experience too, and move in the space that is freedom; but
      not everyone knows how to experience deeply.

      Mark Hovila submitted this quote which prompted a lively
      discussion on
      What is the test of experience?
      Examine your experience always and ask yourself whether it
      changes in time or space. If it is found to change, advance
      further till you come to that experience from which you can
      never change even for a moment, even if you try. That is then
      no experience either, but your real nature itself. (7 Jan 1951)
      from: Notes on Spiritual Discourses of Sree Atmananda
      1950-1959 taken by Nitya Tripta, duly approved by Sree
      James Traverse responds:
      The 'Test of Experience' is OneDual-NonDual.
      It can be progressive as an 'experiencer experiencing' and it
      can be direct as in 'experiencing without an experiencer'.
      It is like a cube of sugar dropped in a vessel of water - at first
      it is 'concentrated' as the sugar cube - then it dissloves
      (especially when the water is stirred up - akin to
      'exploring/examining') and the sugar cube 'appears' to have
      disappeared - yet, when you taste the water, there is
      nowhere that the sugar isn't.
      This is the OneDual/NonDual Nature of One. Its qualities are
      Infinite/Meditation/Non-Local/Feminine/etc... and
      Seeing is Singular. Concentration and Meditation are
      qualities of SEEING - they are extreme poles of the SAME

      Xan "So long as you identify yourself as the body, your
      experience of pain and sorrow will increase day by day.
      That is why you must give up this identification,
      Question: How do I give up the identification? The feeling
      that I am definitively the body is OVERWHELMINGLY
      ~ You give it up gradually by observing all the things you
      experience through the body, developing detached
      witnessing. At some point you begin to notice that you are
      the Awareness which is observing the body and all that it
      experiences. You are the consciousness that is looking out
      through your eyes.

      Meandering a fascination with lichen, lead to
      Deer Park Cottage by Wang Wei, a Chinese Buddhist poet
      of the Tang dynasty translated by Howard A. Landman
      These mountains are empty; no people are seen,
      though you hear someone's echoing voice on the breeze.
      Afternoon, slanting sunlight between the tall trees
      comes to rest on moist lichen, glows aquamarine.
      Translation notes:
      Wang Wei was an Amida Buddhist. The home of the Amida
      was considered to be in the west, so the afternoon sunlight
      can be viewed as a metaphor for the Buddha's teachings,
      and the glowing lichen a metaphor for enlightenment.
       Images of Angkor Thom by Michael Buckley http://www.veloasia.com/buckley/thom_photos.html
      .. he found a interesting stone that was covered with lichen.
      He knew lichen was an organism formed by a combination
      of fungus and algae growing as a unit on a solid surface.
      Picking up the stone, he inserted it into a hollow he created
      in the pages and began to write around it. "Everything grows
      connected to something other than itself."

      Searching for the Dharma, Hsu Yun
      You've traveled up ten thousand steps in search of the Dharma.
      So many long days in the archives, copying, copying.
      The gravity of the Tang and the profundity of the Sung
      make heavy baggage.
      Here! I've picked you a bunch of wildflowers.
      Their meaning is the same
      but they're much easier to carry.

      Jan Barendrecht  being_one@yahoogroups.com
      The recursive witness is a metaphor for the process of
      observation.. It goes on as long as the mind-body is alive
      and what happens then is "the" mystery. Absolutes, void etc.
      are conceptual figments of the mind, mere thoughts whereas
      "apperception" means:
      1. Conscious perception with full awareness.
      2. The process of understanding by which newly observed
      qualities of an object are related to past experience.
      Before voicing a phrase like "i see the moon", a lot of
      processing has to be done, like witnessing and
      communicating on a cellular level.. Holding a mirror before a
      mirror shows recursion better than any lecturing on it, and
      when one of the mirrors is spherical, the issue of projection
      will be clear... Not something negative or positive, but a
      property. There are no straight lines in nature as space is
      curved too and nature doesn't have an outside :-)
      The witness practice is an aid to become aware of the issue
      called "arising": Whatever seems presented "as is" has
      been prepared so by the subconscious. Witnessing that for
      instance anger doesn't come out of the blue, can have an
      effect like pulling the rug (conditioning) from under the
      furniture standing on it...
      shades of green and blue
      no sight without a contrast
      no contrast without?
      pines who hug a wall
      symbol of a love so strong
      numbs fear of free fall

      The festival of forgiveness (paryushana)in the Jaina tradition
      is coming up. Many people fast during this time and pray for
      purification and both ask for forgiveness and work on
      forgiving others. Many other spiritual traditions seem to have
      similar types of rituals of cleansing, healing, and forgiveness.
      For a number of reasons which I will explain later, I plan to be
      on a reduced food diet in early september and will then fast
      on alternate days from September 11 to September 30. The
      days of the week that I eat, I will limit myself to raw fruits only.
      I will continue drinking some tea with soymilk to avoid
      This will be a period of fasting and praying and hope you will
      join me in prayers of healing for the world and prayers for
      those who are helpless and suffering.
      I dedicate this partial fast to deepening the understanding of
      Ahimsa, the philosophy of nonviolence.
      May all living beings be free from sorrow.

      Stephen Levine excerpt from his new book Turning Toward the Mystery
      About fifteen years ago, living amidst a world of wildlings in
      the forests of northern New Mexico, a few days after nestling
      in a few dozen chicks, I entered the coop one morning to find
      a dozen dead chicks with their heads bitten off. Skunks!
      Recognizing too our responsibility to the skunks, in whose
      territory we had plopped a tantalizing chicken coop, rather
      than harming them, we began improving the fencing under
      which they had apparently entered. Digging all day along the
      fence line, we buried it well into the ground. Nothing short of
      a badger was going to dig its way into that enclosure. But
      the next morning, more headless chicks.
      We presumed the skunk had this time gone over rather than
      under the fence. It had seemingly climbed the chicken wire!
      We worked for most of the next day clumsily stretching
      sagging chicken wire across the top of the pen. When it was
      completed, we "knew" the few chicks remaining were at last
      safe. But next morning proved they were not. Somehow the
      predator was still getting in.
      We had exhausted all of our nonlethal options, but before
      taking more drastic measures, I decided to sit out one night
      in the well-fenced chicken yard in hopes of discovering the
      means of entrance.
      After sitting outside in the cold for a few hours, I noticed that
      ego-glorifying self-righteous sense of wounded innocence
      slipping in. Self-interest-above-all was accumulating. Anger
      arising, animosity for this remarkably resourceful though
      deadly invasive creature. It was me against him. I
      considered what sort of buckshot to use. I was slipping into
      hunter identities.
      Catching my body hunching over, contracting like my mind, I
      spread wide my arms and arched my back to relieve the
      pressure. As my head tilted back, I looked up.
      The enormous southwestern sky was wild with fiery
      asteroids. It was the Perseid meteor shower. A half dozen
      streaks of light at a time stretched across the sky. Never had
      I seen such a full display. One after another and then five at a
      time, then crosswise another and another.
      And wanting to rest my neck, I looked back down. And there,
      not ten feet in front of me, was the skunk. He had slipped
      through what had seemed far too slight an aperture between
      the corner post and the fence.
      He was beautiful as anything in creation. For a long moment,
      bathed together in a surreal star shower, we looked deeply
      into each other’s eyes. And beneath a singing sky we
      simultaneously bowed and retreated. I returned with hammer
      and nails to secure the corner fencing. The skunk went
      home, and the sky kept on singing.

      "Who Am I?"
      plants a spinning seed
      Which outgrows
      many error-weeds
      When watered and tended
      many a mind has mended
      By re-minding
      "I don't know"
      Now the seed
      has grown
      And in its turn
      more seeds are sown
      What grows is balance, once the difference is known
      Non-attachment honors... the honesty of admitting
      attachments... non-attachment is a form of work... not an
      absolute state... every arising, triggers abiding...
      Questioner: I don't know if the 'who am I' practice is the same
      thing as just shifting awareness or if it helps cut up the bonds
      of false identity perhaps quicker?
      Well... every identity is 'false'... in the sense that identity is
      not 'who I am'... on the other hand, every identity is 'real'... if
      not, there is no motive to 'change'...
      If a person takes identity seriously... it is possible to isolate it
      and observe it... and even to gain the ability to operate from
      a lower level of identity, such as from the level of the child
      you once were...
      On the other hand, it is also possible to 'parse and polish'
      identity... and this is not a bad idea... a good thing to do,
      'until enlightenment happens'... the ability to see identity is
      very helpful... to edit it is good... to remove obnoxious
      habits... and to instill 'stops' in habit-routine... and to reroute
      the arising energy into neutral awareness...
      Identity itself is utterly harmless... just like a person with no
      piloting skills is harmless, as long as not in the cockpit...
      Identity allowed to run the show, is capable of nothing but
      repeating the past, ad infinitum...
      There is no 'shortcut', but, there are very many 'longcuts'...
      'mental activity'... can be disciplined... into neutral
      awareness... with no prejudices... in this state... 'Who Am I' is
      apparent... but not, 'who I am'...
      Please consider neutral awareness... as a state of abiding...
      non-attachment is operative as work... much like ice-skating
      or surfing... the arisings and subsidings of phenomena are
      endured, perhaps even enjoyed...
      There will be times when 'meaning' is overwhelming... two
      things about these times:
      _1 Take the meaning provisionally
      _2 Realize you have been shown (your) attachment
      We now see how 'detachment' can be counterproductive...
      meanings are lost, rather than abided...
      What comes as what happens, is more of the same... it is
      important to remain awake and deliberate, as you abide...
      rather than fall into a false peace, a mere escape from
      undigested events...
      Just as the stomach uses enzymes to digest complex food...
      so does mind use the equivalent... digested observation
      renders a product of understanding... and this is the natural
      nourishment which allows us to grow... grow as in 'to
      The 'usual' state of mind... is akin to the effect of
      over-eating... indigestion upsets the entire system... gross
      events occur within...
      To allow actual complete digestion... renders a vastly
      simplified product... which is then assimilated, to become
      part of Being...
      Digestion is destructive to what is eaten... but good for the
      one who eats... in this way... what was 'real' becomes
      insubstantial... until finally, 'you' are digested... and become
      understanding itself... in this way is the entire universe
      There is a very large... indeed, vast... and calm one, who
      performs and behaves thus... everything in sight is eaten...
      Neutral awareness allows effortless ingress of factors which
      had previously triggered desire or aversion... nothing is
      rejected... there can be no arguments... no sides are taken...
      there is no right or wrong... merely the eater...
      The eater grows in understanding...
      ==Gene Poole==

      The Gene Pool metaphor
      Buddha represents the gene pool,
      the potentiality of the species.
      The genes are its essence.
      Buddha is manifested by temporary
      instantiations of the gene pool
      when a collection of genes arises
      transiently in an individual manifestation
      of the gene pool called "self."
      club-mushroom lichen, Oregon

      There are many around the drinking trough, but there is
      nothing in the cistern. --Gospel of Thomas