Thursday, August 29, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30 8:04 PM

      #1181  -  Thursday, August 29, 2002  -  Editor: Jerry  -  Home: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      ASK THE AWAKENED
      The Negative Way

      by Wei Wu Wei

      from <http://www.sentientpublications.com/catalog/catalog.htm>

      Between the years 1958 and 1974 a series of books
      appeared that were attributed to the mysterious Wei Wu
      Wei. Perhaps the most important of these works, Ask The
      Awakened, is now available in a new edition. This work
      draws on a variety of sources, including
      Taoism—specifically the texts attributed to Lao Tzu and
      Chuang Tzu; Buddhism—especially the Heart, Diamond and
      Lankavatara sutras; and Chan Buddhism as taught by Hui
      Neng, Huang Po, Hui Hai, etc.; as well as the teachings
      of Padmasambhava and Sri Ramana Maharshi, among others.

      This classic gem of Eastern spirituality is especially
      timely in the current climate of interest in Buddhism.
      Wei Wu Wei's unique and fresh interpretation of the
      ancient teachings opens the reader's eyes: "Why are you
      unhappy? Because 99.9 per cent of everything you think,
      and of everything you do, is for yourself—and there
      isn't one." This powerful book rewards by exposing
      illusions, and takes the reader beyond logic to the
      inexpressible truth of existence.

      Wei Wu Wei joins Paul Reps, Alan Watts, and Philip
      Kapleau as one of the earliest and most profound
      interpreters of Zen Buddhism and Taoist philosophies.
      The depth of understanding evidenced in Ask the Awakened
      places it in the top tier of modern spiritual classics.

      DUSTIN AND KHEYALA
      from Nondual Parent list

      DUSTIN:
      Making someone feel special about their own
      uniqueness seems  decidedly unnondual though, at first
      glance. Is it not nondual to do  this? Or should we try
      to make our children feel unique because  that's what
      they need at this stage of their development?

      KHEYALA:
      Dear Dustin,

      If you are intentionally trying to make someone
      (including your  child) feel special about their own
      uniqueness as some sort of  techinique with hopes for
      some sort of result, then you are  correct...this
      behavior is Totally dual.

      If you, in this very moment, are seeing the truth of
      your being, then  you are also seeing the truth of any
      other being in your presence  (including your child).
      Anything you happen to say or do in this  moment will be
      exactly perfect for you and potentially incredibly
      healing for the not-other (including your child).

      [I feel like winking at you because it is very apparent
      that you have  already discovered this within yourself,
      which includes your  experiences with your child.]

      Love, Kheyala

      Satsang with Clara Llum

      <http://www.geocities.com/clara_llum/satsang.htm>

      MIA
      from Daily Dharma

      "Milarepa's student was Gampopa (after whom Gampo Abbey
      is named). Because everything was easy for him, Gampopa
      was arrogant. For instance, the night before he met
      Gampopa for the first time, Milarepa said to some of his
      disciples, 'Oh, someone who is destined to be my main
      student is going to come tomorrow. Whoever brings him to
      me will be greatly benefited.'

      So when Gampopa arrived in the town, an old lady who saw
      him ran out and said, 'Oh, Milarepa told us you were
      coming and you were destined to be one of his main
      students, and I want my daughter to bring you to see
      him.' So Gampopa thinking, 'I must be really hot stuff,'
      went very proudly to meet Milarepa, sure that he would
      be greeted with great honor. However, Milarepa had had
      someone put him in a cave and wouldn't see him for three
      weeks.

      As for Gampopa's main student, the first Karmapa, the
      only thing that we know about him is that he was said to
      look like a monkey. Also, there's one story about him
      and three other disciples who were thrown out of the
      monastery for getting drunk and singing and dancing and
      breaking the monastic rules.

      We could all take heart. These are the wise ones who sit
      in front of us, to whom we prostrate when we do
      prostrations. We can prostrate to them as an example of
      our own wisdom mind of enlightened beings, but perhaps
      it's also a good to prostrate to them as confused,
      mixed-up people with a lot of neurosis, just like
      ourselves. They are good examples of people who never
      gave up on themselves and were not afraid to be
      themselves, who therefore found their own genuine
      quality and their own true nature.

      The point is that our true nature is not some ideal that
      we have to live up to. It's who we are right now, and
      that's what we can make friends with and celebrate."

      ~Pema Chodron

      BOB ROSE
      from Meditation Society of America

      Mullah Meditates

      Nasrudin joined a Trappist monastery. It was customary
      in this  monastery to maintain silence all year with the
      exception of one monk  having a chance to speak once a
      year. The first year one monk said, "I like potatoes and
      I hope we can  have more potatoes in our menu". The next
      year a second monk spoke and said, "I am sick of having
      potatoes every day in this monastery". The following
      year it was Mulla Nasrudin's turn to speak and he  said,
      "I want a transfer to another monastery. I cannot stand
      this  constant bickering"!

      MARK HOVILA
      from NoDoer list

      WHAT IS THE TEST OF EXPERIENCE?

      Examine your experience always and ask yourself whether
      it changes in time or space. If it is found to change,
      advance further till you come to that experience from
      which you can never change even for a moment, even if
      you try. That is then no experience either, but your
      real nature itself. (7 Jan 1951)

      from: Notes on Spiritual Discourses of Sree Atmananda
      1950-1959 taken by Nitya Tripta, duly approved by Sree
      Atmananda