Wednesday, August 28, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2002

      from <http://www.daddonastudios.com/pages/1/painting/images/Popsicle-.jpg>

      #1180  -  Wednesday, August 28, 2002  -  Editor: Jerry  -  Home: <http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm>

      Bob Rose posted the following to his list. The Inner
      Traveler is a fine publication. It's published in hard
      copy as well, and worth supporting. --Jerry

      The URL for the new issue of Inner Traveler is now being
       Emailed to our members and subscribers. This will take
      a  while, so please be patient. For others who are
      interested, I will be glad to send it to anyone who
      emails me and requests it.(medit8@...)
      Thanks to our wonder-full  artists and authors, it is
      one of the most beautiful,  and filled with wisdom,
      meditation publications ever.  Thank you to all who have
      contributed to this and every  issue of The Inner
      Traveler. We are very blessed to be  able to share your
      gifts.

      Peace and blessings,  Bob Rose, President, Meditation
      Society of America medit8@...
      http://www.meditationsociety.com

      MAZIE
      from NDS

      Cee's poetry...

      pause

      at the interim
      between

      dreamworld and dreamworld

      no idea who
      "i" is

      no idea where
      "i" is

      -----------

      nothing in

      brilliant consciousness

      nothing out

      ecstatic bliss

      vast

      pure awareness

      awake

      ------------

      retreat was a war dance

      slaying myself as
      shakti

      fell in love with my
      student

      spilled hot tea on my
      teacher

      why do i ever leave om?

      fascinated by

      myself

      in a myriad of guises

      ------------

      had a dream
      we spent a precious
      glitch of time
      together
      it was the quality of feeling that was so poignant

      recognition

      deep deep relaxation

      familiar
      in the most profound way

      ~Cee

      VICKI WOODYARD
      from NDS

      There is Only Everything

      Most of us on the spiritual path have been on it for
      longer than  we care to admit. At least that is the case
      with me. Suffering,  sorrow and struggle have taken
      their toll. I am now willing to  admit something--there
      is only everything.

      Apparently I wasn't wise enough to come to this
      conclusion any  earlier. Like Irina Tweedie, who wrote
      Daughter of Fire, my inner  sheik has been holding my
      feelings to the fire for far too long. But  I `m now
      willing to admit it.....there is only everything.

      In spite of having mystical dreams and synchronistic
      situtations,  it just wasn't enough for me. I wanted
      cosmic visions and the  rarity of sat-chit-ananda. It
      wasn't to be.

      Instead I got I-opening sorrow, self-searing
      introspection and  many dark nights of the soul. Some
      got so dark I bumped into  the universal furniture until
      my shins were blue.

      But just lately, I am opening up to a wider
      wisdom...there is only  everything. And it seems that
      everything is enough. The  Popsicle Man comes along the
      street with his truck full of colorful  flavors and we
      think we must make a decision. Do I want lime or  grape
      or cherry enlightenment? The mind must have its favorite
       flavor. So we let it do its thing. My advice: Pay the
      Popsicle Man  and get on with your life.

      My life is currently breaking down and I am seeing that
      this is  freeing. Like a little child, all the flavors
      of life have stained my  white shirt and there seems to
      be little chance that I can get the  stains out on my
      own....for there is no "my own." There is only
      everything.

      It didn't have to be so hard. I could have had my flavor
      of the day  and every other flavor to boot. My choices
      were not mine  anyway--they belonged to the mind which
      is now falling away as  fast as I can allow it.

      The wisdom of life is inherent in unity and only in
      unity. But we  can only arrive there when we understand
      that there never had to  be a problem in deciding what
      flavor of life we wanted that day.  Everything comes in
      an astonishing variety....and everything is all  there
      really is.

      THOMAS MURPHY
      from See What Is list

      singular consciousness

      Exponentially condensing gravity and spacetime
      race toward an eternal void--
      a singularity lacking location or extension.

      Time embodies the gravity
      of all objects of consciousness.
      In singularity, gravity condenses,
      fed by energy released by collapsing space.

      There's no multiplicity of singularities.
      That indeed is the contradiction it seems.

      From the viewpoint of perceiving imagination,
      singularities appear as countless depressions
      in a giant pincushion universe.

      Singularity itself brooks no viewpoint
      as it hosts no extension in time and space.
      Every would-be singularity
      abides solely in silent nothingness.

      ~ tomas

      ANDREW MACNAB
      from NDS

      Awe that I am the hardcore of everything I see
      is the constant feeling of being.

      GLORIA LEE
      from NDS

      Grace of the Guru

      Who is a master? He is the Self after all. According to
      the stages of development of the  mind the Self
      manifests as the master externally. The famous ancient
      saint Dattatreya said that he  had more than twenty-four
      masters. The master is one from who one learns anything.
      The Guru may  be sometimes inanimate also, as in the
      case of  Dattatreya. God, Guru and the Self are
      identical.

      A spiritually-minded man thinks that God is all-
      pervading and takes God for his Guru. Later, God brings
      him in contact with a personal Guru and the man
      recognises him as all in all. Lastly the same man is
      made by the grace of the master to feel  that his Self
      is the master.

      ~Sri Ramana Maharshi

      DAVID OLLER
      from Alice's Restaurant list

      The big new news is we are getting very close to
      announcing the "Large Incense Bowl."

      This has been a collaboration on the part of several
      people. I want to thank Janine who posted the idea of
      lying sticks flat on top of the ash. This made me think
      we needed a bowl that would work for a complete stick.

      I also wanted a bowl that we could burn the large
      incense coils in.

      But most importantly I want to thank Mark Ambrose &
      Stephanie who gave me copies of Silivio Bedini's "Trail
      of Time" and "Scent of Time" Since that time I have been
      studying the Incense Clocks and Incense Trails, and the
      Vairocana sutra and Garbhakosa mandala that are closely
      related.

      There are others who helped also, they know who they are
      and that I am grateful.

      Two days ago I completed a press for the "Shou"
      (Long-life) pattern to fit the new bowls, and ran the
      first test. For some reason I decided to light the
      "beginning" and "ending" sides at the same time, and as
      I watched the trails of smoke head toward each other I
      thought about Roshi's teisho's on birth and death, and
      expansion and contraction. Both arising at the same
      time, both expanding and contracting simutaenously.

      The trails reached the point where they almost merged
      before expansion began and they moved away from each
      other. Then like consciousness itself contraction again
      occurred, and then expansion; and as the trails wove in
      and out, and back and forth the inevitable became
      obvious. In the last wonderful moment, the eternal
      moment, they came together as one.

      I don't know if anyone else will be as excited as I am
      about this new Incense bowl as I am. Perhaps it's not
      even about a bowl but the creative process and
      relationships that went into it.

      Best to everyone,

      David

      from Spiritual Friends list

      from Contemplation, A Christian Path by Willigis Jager,
      OSB

      There was once a village in China that had received no
      rain for many months. Its crops were failing, its
      animals dying, and its people on the verge of
      starvation. All of their prayers and petitions went
      unanswered: the heavens remained closed. At last, in
      desperation, the village sent for the great rain maker.
      When the rain maker came, he asked for a hut at the edge
      of the village and for bread and water for five days.
      Then he told the villagers to go home and go on with
      their daily lives at work in their houses and fields. On
      the morning of the fourth day, it began to drizzle, and
      then the heavens opened at last and the rain came
      pouring down. The whole village came running out into
      the downpour and gathered before the rain maker's hut to
      thank him.

      "How did you make it rain?" they asked in amazement. "I
      can't make it rain," he replied. "But it IS raining,"
      they insisted.

      "Yes," the rain maker answered. "When I first came to
      your village I saw all the disorder in your fields, your
      houses, and your hearts. And so I went into this hut and
      put myself in order. Once I came into order, you came
      into order. Once you came into order, nature, came into
      order. And once nature came into order, it rained."

      MIA
      from Daily Dharma list

      "HO!
      Mesmerized by the sheer variety of perceptions,
      which are like the illusory reflections
      of the moon in water,

      Beings wander endlessly astray
      in samsara's vicious cycle.

      In order that they may find comfort and ease
      in the all-pervading luminosity
      of the true nature of their minds,

      I generate the immeasurable love,
      compassion, joy and equanimity
      of the awakened mind,
      the heart of bodhicitta."
      ~Jikmé Lingpa

      nyingma buddhism - - 18th century
      From personal notes, source unknown.

      MELODY
      from NDS

      I'm reminded today of my first satsang. It was so
      simple....so quick.

      My first satsang took place in an elevator in Dallas, as
      I was returning to work from lunch one day. I found
      myself riding 'up' with a rather ordinary looking older
      woman. We didn't speak. I don't recall that we ever made
      eye contact.

      I simply stood next to this stranger for a minute or
      two.

      I remember thinking I didn't know what it was about her,
      but I wanted nothing more than to just extend that
      moment ....to keep standing next to her. And I remember
      that I said to myself that I wanted to BE just like her.

      I have no idea if she ever intended to impact my life in
      such a way. I suspect she was just going about her
      affairs... running errands.....and Existence saw fit to
      put us together, in an elevator, for one moment in time.

      Funny how one moment is enough to make such an imprint.
      We tend to think we have to make it our lives 'work' to
      be God's helpers, but really.....

      it only takes one moment....a moment in which we likely
      will never know how, and in what way, God has used us to
      Speak to others.

      Maybe the reason I've never felt the impulse to travel
      to someone's formal satsang is because God, in Hir
      wisdom, has always seen fit to bring satsang to me
      ....in the most unexpected of ways.

      And maybe there are those who benefit from the costumes,
      staging, and such that comes with a more formal satsang.

      I'm reminded of those churches nowadays that rock the
      walls with their music and stage production. I've sat in
      the 'audience' and watched people totally forget
      themselves for a minute.....and just 'let loose'.

      I see that those music productions really do 'serve' the
       congregation every bit as much as (or more than) the
      sermons that follow.

      GLORIA LEE
      from NDS

      Huang-Po

      Not to say there is anything "wrong" with using the mind
      or practices or discussing with concepts - still these
      are all merely pointers pointing to what cannot be
      grasped by the mind. The mysterious unknown, by whatever
      name it is called, can only be distorted in the effort
      to  do so. Zen refers to a transmission outside the
      mind, an absence of conscious mind,  as revealing what
      is forgotten, not developing something new. A recovery
      of "original face",  though it has been with us and in
      us, not lost. Thus years of training in skills of
      archery are intended to result in shooting as
      thoughtlessly and naturally as a child dropping his
      mothers  hand to run.

      Gloria

      Huang Po

      (Huang-po, Obaku, Wobaku Kiun)

      (died 850)

      Huang-Po said to Pai-hsiu:

      Buddhas and sentient beings both grow out of One Mind,
      and there is no other reality than this Mind. It has
      been in existence since the beginningless past; it knows
      neither birth nor death; it is neither blue nor yellow;
      it has neither shape nor form; it is beyond the category
      of being and non-being; it is not to be measured by age,
      old or new; it is neither long nor short; it is neither
      large nor small; for it transcends all limits, words,
      traces, and opposites. It must be taken just as it is in
      itself; when an attempt is made on our part to grasp it
      in our thoughts, it eludes. It is like space whose
      boundaries are altogether beyond measurement; no
      concepts are applicable here.

      This One Mind only is the Buddha, who is not to be
      segregated from sentient beings. But because we seek it
      outwardly in a world of form, the more we seek the
      further it moves away from us. To make Buddha seek after
      himself, or to make Mind take hold of itself--this is an
      impossibility to the end of eternity. We do not realize
      that as soon as our thoughts cease and all attempts at
      forming ideas are forgotten the Buddha reveals himself
      before us . . .

      That followers of Zen fail to recognize the Buddha is
      due to their not rightly recognizing where their own
      Mind is. They seek it outwardly, set up all kinds of
      exercises which they hope to master by degrees, and
      themselves work out diligently throughout ages. Yet they
      fail to reach enlightenment. No works compare with an
      immediate awakening to a state of mushin ["no-mind"]
      itself.

      from HUANG-PO'S SERMON, FROM TREATISE ON THE ESSENTIALS
      OF THE TRANSMISSION OF MIND ' (DENSHIN HOYO) in Manual
      of Zen Buddhism by Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki

      JERRY
      from NDS

      ITALA'S TRANSFORMATION
      Experiencing The Work of Byron Katie
      by Kriben Pillay

      A 36-minute video-taped interview with a woman who

      underwent a remarkable transformation after experiencing
      The Work of Byron Katie.

      "In February, 2002, Itala participated in a two-day
      workshop on Transformative Training and The Work of
      Byron Katie, in Windhoek, Namibia, facilitated by Dr.
      Kriben Pillay. Coming from a background of severely
      traumatising life situations, it was pointed out that
      Itala might find the process too unsettling. But in the
      space of three months The Work too over Itala's inward
      journey the led to a remarkable transformation." --from
      the CD insert and website:
      <http://users.iafrica.com/n/no/noumenon/video.htm>

      Itala's Transformation, by Kriben Pillay

      A Review

      This attractively produced movie by Dr. Kriben Pillay,
      introduces the significance, meaning, impact and power
      of Byron Katie's Work. Itala tells how she used the Work
      to the point where everything, all unnecessary baggage,
      as she calls it, had fallen away.

      One can feel Itala coming from the stillness, the space
      of freedom, as she speaks. Some fragments:

      "Everything is a story." "My history has disappeared."
      "Nothing matters. Everything is perfect." "Words have
      not been created for this." "I have nothing to say."

      The interviewer asks, "Who is seeing this?" Itala: "I
      don't know. And it doesn't matter. Nothing matters."

      "You had a fairly traumatized past," the interviewer
      begins. "How do those events appear to you now which for
      an average person would be very, very traumatic ... in
      fact could turn many a person into the extreme of mental
      insanity or even suicide."

      Itala: "... it's my wisdom ... all of that has been my
      wisdom and the wise steps bringing me to this point."

      Itala responds to the interviewer's question about how
      she relates to the perpetrator of her traumatic
      experiences: "(I had this) extreme feeling of 'thank
      you' for giving me your wisdom. It was a total loving of
      this person, of 'you are my wisdom'."

      She talks about the difference realization has made in
      her life. She speaks of family, career, the future. We
      hear a bottom line statement: "I see perfection. And
      stillness. I have stillness. An immense, immense
      stillness."

      The reader should be aware that this movie does not give
      examples of Itala actually going through The Work.

      I thoroughly enjoyed the movie (even more the second
      time) and the time spent with one whose history has
      disappeared, and the timeless scenes and sounds of
      Namibia.

      --Jerry Katz <http://nonduality.com>

      ITALA'S TRANSFORMATION
      Experiencing The Work of Byron Katie