Monday, August 26, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2002

      from  <http://gundaroo.alphalink.com.au/ gundaroo/old_photos.htm>

      #1178  -  Monday, August 26, 2002  -  Editor: Jerry  -  Home: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      JOHN METZGER
      from NDS

      Brother Void -- salon.com

      "You are free and that is why you are lost."  -- Franz
      Kafka

      On the interstate of life you rarely reach your
      destination. In rest stop after rest stop, you look for
      signs of God, or happiness, or just reason enough to get
      back on the road. But is it not right and fitting that
      you lose your way? Isn't such failure itself evidence of
      the sublime? Granted, the bleary-eyed, caffeine-dazed
      monotony of the interstate of life may often feel like
      an endless bad dream. But the roadside wreckage that
      marks your journey -- the discarded quarts of oil, the
      busted hubcaps, the insect bodies splattered on your
      windshield, the coffee lids scattered at your feet --
      aren't these signs that, in a certain way, you have
      already arrived?

      It's not whether I arrive; it's how I lose my way.

      MARK OTTER
      from NDS list

      Just about a year ago, late August, or early September
      (sheesh is it  that time of year again?), I (or more
      properly, my car) overheated on  the New York State
      Thruway during a traffic jam. I pulled over to the  side
      to let the radiator cool down enough for a peek, and was
      astonished at the way folks offered help. One guy gave
      me a gallon of  antifreeze just in case..., several
      offered sodas and some beers and  perhaps a dozen people
      offered to use their cell phones to call a tow  truck.
      Sure, there were many who averted their eyes and "slunk"
      past,  but wow there were many offers of help.

      that's the destination - stuck by the side of the road
      celebrating the  human capacity to offer help in times
      of need. And frankly, I've  arrived. Please send help.

      EUGENE L. MEZENTSEV
      from Nisargadatta list

      Hi, All!

      I am very love teachings (hmmm... may be, Teacher?! may
      be :)))))) by Nisargadatta Maharaj and his best disciple
      Ramesh Balsekar. I live in far Russia, and I want to get
      some books of my beloved Masters. I have no enough money
      for new copies of them, but may be one of readers of
      e-group have old ones, want to bye new copies and to
      throw out old. Then I with great joy will buy them (for
      a some dollars :) or free :))) if you want).

      I need all books by Nisargadatta and Balsekar (also may
      be Wayne Liquorman or Shirish Murthy) in "readable" and
      "complete" state (it means that all book pages are
      present and are readable :)))). I don't care about
      "beauty" of them.

      I can pay for them about $0 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 (or more
      :)) for item. I have a friend in Salt Lake City. You
      send him books and recieve from him bucks :). And he
      send them to me in Russia.

      In Russian there are translations of 6 books of Ramesh
      Balsekar. I have intent to make this quantity more. If I
      can :))))). I hold site dedecated to Ramesh Balsekar
      http://spica0.narod.ru.

      Yours sincerely,
      Eugene Mezentsev from Russia, Krasnoyarsk.

      MACE MEALER
      from the Dzogchen list

      Fellow traveler
      is it so strange
      that we should speak
      and in the speaking
      share the experience
      of our disparate journeys,
      no one sees it quite the same,
      and even in the knowing that it is.
      Will we not celebrate this momentary
      departure from the chorus
      of our unity with
      compassionate interest
      and virtuous discourse?

      JAN SULTAN
      from NDS

      [Reply to someone [I think on guru ratings] who insisted
      that the words of  sages [alone] cannot push you towards
      Self Realization]

      People say the mind cannot solve anything. They say
      words cannot get you  enlightenment! So how do you
      arrive at dispassion, surrender, acceptance,
      understanding, faith, effort, self-inquiry etc.? I use
      my mind, what do you use?

      It is the mind which in the first place created this
      division and  separation. And it is the mind itself
      through understanding and  acceptance/surrender can make
      you whole again.

      R.K. SHANKAR
      from the I Am list

      (1) Know that (you) must know the Pure Whole Self

      (2) shining within (and) with the husk and others of the
          body of five sheath(/s),

      (3) removing them (the five sheaths) by pounding (them)
          with firm sharp intelligence

      (4) akin to (knowing) the rice (by pounding the
          rice-grain with the pestle, and removing the outer
          covering of husk etc.).

      Translation of Atma Bodha verse 16 by Sri Bhagawan

      FRANCES HUNTER
      from the Daily Dharma list

      "Even so early in the morning the sun was hot and
      burning. There wasn't a breeze and not a leaf was
      stirring. In the ancient temple it was cool and
      pleasant; the bare feet were aware of the solid slabs of
      rocks, their shapes and their unevenness. Many thousands
      of people must have walked on them for a thousand years.
      It was dark there after the glare of the morning sun and
      in the corridors there seemed to be few people that
      morning and in the narrow passage it was still darker.
      This passage led to a wide corridor which led to the
      inner shrine. There was a strong smell of flowers and
      the incense of many centuries. And a hundred Brahmanas,
      freshly bathed, in newly washed white loin cloths, were
      chanting.  Sanskrit is a powerful language, resonant
      with depth.  The ancient walls were vibrating, almost
      shaking to the sound of a hundred voices. The dignity of
      the sound was incredible and the sacredness of the
      moment was beyond the words. It was not the words that
      awakened this immensity but the depth of the sound of
      many thousand years held within these walls and in the
      immeasurable space beyond them. It was not the meaning
      of those words, nor the clarity of their pronunciation,
      nor the dark beauty of the temple but the quality of
      sound that broke walls and the limitations of the human
      mind. The song of a bird, the distant flute, the breeze
      among the leaves, all these break down the walls the
      human beings have created for themselves."
      ~J. Krishnamurti.

      From the book, "J. Krishnamurti's Journal," published by
      Harper.