Sunday, August 25, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26 10:14 PM
      Highlights #1177
      Sunday, August 25, 2002
      Editor: Gloria Lee

      A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
      Groucho Marx

      Mazie Lane
      on Ramana Maharshi

      "If we talk of knowing the Self, there must be two selves, one a
      knowing self, another the self which is known, and the
      process of knowing.  The state we call realisation is simply
      being oneself, not knowing anything or becoming anything.
      If one has realised, one is that which alone is and
      which alone has always been.  One cannot describe that state.
      One can only be that.  Of course, we loosely talk of Self-
      realisation, for want of a better term.  How to 'real-ise'
      or make real that which alone is real?"

                                      - Sri Ramana Maharshi

          Liberation is our very nature. We are that. The very fact
          that we wish for liberation shows that freedom from all
          bondage is our real nature. It is not to be freshly acquired.
          All that is necessary is to get rid of the false notion that we
          are bound. When we achieve that, there will be no desire
          or thought of any sort. So long as one desires liberation,
          so long, you may take it, one is in bondage.

                                       - Sri Ramana Maharshi

      Mukti or liberation is our nature. It is another name for us.
      Our wanting mukti is a very funny thing. It is like a man who
      is in the shade, voluntarily leaving the shade, going into the sun,
      feeling the severity of the heat there, making great efforts to get
      back to the shade and then rejoicing, "How sweet is the shade!
      I have reached the shade at last!" We are all doing exactly the
      same. We are not different from the reality. We imagine we are
      different, that is we create the bheda bhava [the feeling of
      difference] and then undergo great sadhana [spiritual practices]
      to get rid of the bheda bhava and realise the oneness. Why
      imagine or create bheda bhava and then destroy it?

                                       - Sri Ramana Maharshi

      We think that there is something hiding our
      reality and that it must be destroyed before the
      reality is gained. It is ridiculous. A day will dawn
      when you will yourself laugh at your past efforts.
      That which will be on the day you laugh is also
      here and now.

      - Sri Ramana Maharshi

      "Be As You Are"
      The Teachings of Sri Ramana Marharshi
      edited by David Godman
      Arkana, 1985

      Jerry Katz
      on NDS

      Cee's website is really beautiful.

      <http://www.presentnonexistence.com>

      You can read transcripts, hear audios, watch videos. And
      join cee in Satsang if you live near Berkeley, California. I
      attended a couple of weeks ago and found it to be formal,
      direct, simple, esthetically pleasing. The atmosphere has a
      refined and clean sensibility. It's a good place to be.

      cee's guru is Nome, whose teaching is based on Ramana's.

      --Jerry Katz

      Mace Mealer
      on Harsha Satsangh

      real food

             When you have bread
             and you pass it
             from one hand
             to the other,
             does the one
             that passes it
             applaud itself
             for it's generosity?
             Listen carefully,
             is this the sound
             of one hand clapping?

      Ordinary Mind, Buddha Mind

            "You may say that it is not possible to be
            ordinary and holy. When you think this way,
            your understanding is one-sided. In Japanese,
            we call someone who understands things from
            just one side a tamban-kan, "someone who carries
            a board on his shoulder." Because you carry a
            big board on your shoulder, you cannot see the other
            side. You think you are just an ordinary human,
            but if you take the board off, you will understand,
            "Oh, I am Buddha, too. How can I be both Buddha
            and an ordinary human? It is amazing!" That is
            enlightenment."

                   - - Shunryu Suzuki

                           From "not always so" -- Harper Collins 2002

      An Enlightening Joke for Kids of All Ages
      from Harsha Satsangh

       Just realize that you are dreaming.
       - Nisargadatta Maharaj
      David Bozzi:
       I don't know this guy Maharaj,
       but that's what I've said all along.

       How do we realize we are dreaming?

      TG:
      That reminds me of a joke:

      Two little boys were sitting on a curb for a while.
      One of the boys said "My butt's asleep."
      "How do you know it's asleep?" the other boy said.

      "I just heard it snore."

      Sweet Dreams,
      xxtg

      Mazie Lane
      on Harsha Satsangh

      When you make the inside like the outside, and
      the outside like the inside, and
      the above like the below, and
      when you make the male and the female one and
      the same, then will you enter the Kingdom of God."

      ~ Jesus

      Estudillo

      ^^^You enter yourself through yourself.
      Stepping outside from the inside
      i stepped into God
      from God.

      It's an inside joke of the Mirthful One.
      An inside job if you will.
      And you will.

      Walking outside along the avenue
      of Estudillo into the night's heart,
      stupored and dazed and dizzy
      with this Dazzling Daunting Beauty,
      stopped beneath the towering temple
      of Saint Catherine of Siena -
      We are staggered still by this Presence.
      Stilled to the core of Silence.

      Sometimes even simpletons like us
      simply get it.
      It's this simple -

      Simple Simon was a pieman
      selling piety and pietas
      for a song along the seashore.
      i say this for no other reason
      except i want to sing tonight so clearly
      that we make no mistake about this.
      In our simply giving in to Love
      we are given everything.
      To keep it?
      Simple.
      Give it back to everyone.

      i tell you something's got to give!

      Anything goes when everything goes
      when one is gone from giving in
      and giving up.

      "Pardon me," i begin to wonder,
      "but don't i know You?"
      Not waiting for an answer,
      i start to take you in my arms,
      these arms of living light,
      when suddenly all i can see
      is the Beautiful Beloved One before me, saying -

      "Hey Baby, would you like a Tootsie Pop?"

      i wonder briefly, "Do i want red or purple prasad."

      "What we play is life."

        -- Louis Armstrong

      It's a Wonderful World....

        I see trees of green, red roses too
        I see them bloom for me and you
        And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

        I see skies of blue and clouds of white
        The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
        And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

        The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky
        Are also on the faces of people going by
        I see friends shaking hands saying how do you do
        They're really saying I love you.

        I hear babies crying, I watch them grow
        They'll learn much more than I'll never know
        And I think to myself what a wonderful world
        Yes I think to myself what a wonderful world.

        Oh Yeah