Saturday, August 24, 2002

  • Christiana Duranczyk
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25 1:58 AM

          HIGHLIGHTS #1176
          Saturday, August 24, 2002

      For Kheyala, from your community of cyber-midwives:
      We are breathing love and holding light-space (especially this week) for you and Zachary (and of course, for Jim and Ananda). May your birthing journey, and discovery of each other's faces, be gracefilled.

      Art: Agnes Pelton The Guide

      Editor: Christiana

      Endless Billboards: A Series of Short Writings

      From Your Driveway You Can See The Moon

      #21 ~ You know what? I'm so sick of hearing about being
      conditioned and reacting and our false selves and
      what's wrong with us, that I really don't give a damn.
      SO WHAT if I'm conditioned and react and all that?
      So what? To worry about it, to acknowledge it, to improve
      it, isn't any better than having it. The problem is that
      people suffer it. People suffer it and then they suffer
      getting rid of it. And then they suffer its absence and
      then they suffer their coming realizations.

      The problem is the suffering of it. Not it.
       I'm sure I've done all kinds of crazy things in my life, but one
      understanding has never changed since the age of 7.
       I AM. That plainly shines forth. It is Being.
      And everything else falls into place.
      Why crunch the gravel on the path, when one stone,
      quiet and whole, awaits attention?

      #29 ~ The question to ask, for me, is not what the meaning
      and purpose of suffering is, but,
      What is the ultimate division that I harbour,
      what are its manifold expressions
      and how are they reflected in the universe?
      Before trying to explain what I see,
      I need to see what I see.

      #35 ~ What is real has nothing to do with a thing valued.

      *
      The Middle Path is a point at first, then a corridor, then
      the universe, then Grace.

      *
      Attend to the suchness of everything.

      Previous lives and awakening

      It doesn't matter whether one believes literally in the
      concept of incarnation or merely finds it a useful
      hypothesis, or a poetic metaphor, as is our position.
      Some people have noted a sudden understanding or
      vision of their prior incarnations at the time of
      awakening, or else such a vision has actually catalyzed
      their awakening. It's as if you suddenly see your
      "game," and see that there is nothing new or original
      about it, that you're simply re-enacting ancient patterns
      and conditionings. The point is that awakening means
      getting a viewpoint outside of this "lineage" or pattern,
      and feeling released from it.

      Giving birth

      Sending this especially for Kheyala... :) soon, soon!!

      Dogen says:

      You should understand the meaning of giving birth to a
      child. At the moment of giving birth to a child, is the
      mother separate from the child? You should study not
      only that you become a mother when your child is born,
      but also that you become a child. This is the
      actualization of giving birth in practice-realization. You
      should study and investigate this thoroughly.

      art: Agnes Pelton, Being

      Anna Quindlen  "One of my best teachers"

      "I found one of my best teachers on the boardwalk at
      Coney Island many years ago. It was December, and I
      was doing a story about how the homeles suffer in the
      winter months. He and I sat on the edge of the wooden
      supports, dangling our feet over the side, and he told
      me about his schedule, panhandling the boulevard
      when the summer crowds were gone, sleeping in a
      church when the temperature went below freezing,
      hiding from the police amid the Tilt-A-Whirl and the
      Cyclone and some of the other seasonal rides.

      But he told me that most of the time he stayed on the
      boardwalk, facing the water, just the way we were
      sitting now, even when it got cold and he had to wear
      his newspapers after he had read them. And i asked
      him why. Why didnt he go to one of the shelters? Why
      didnt he check himself into the hospital for de-tox?

      And he stared out at the ocean and said, "Look at the
      view, young lady. Look at the view."

      And every day, in some little way, I try to do what he
      said. I try to look at the view. That's all. Words of
      wisdom from a man with not a dime in his pocket, no
      place to go, nowhere to be. Look at the view. When i do
      what he said, I am never disappointed."

      "A Short Guide to a Happy Life"

      Real Food

      not dream food
      is what I need.

      Dream food is for fools.

      I am starving
      but the fool walks
      past me
      because he knows
      all is perfect.

      But thank god for that
      second man who noticed
      something wasn't right.

      He's the one
      who gave me
      this loaf of bread...

      Gary Merrill ConsciousnessIsAll@yahoogroups.com

      Without Question

      Generally we have a question and answer process
      going on in order to solve our problems. This gives a
      relative solution. Ask how to make a cake, there is an
      answer, ask why do you want it, there is an answer, ask
      when it was made, there is an answer. The question
      and answer process works when talking about 'things',
      about some relative existence.

      To go beyond 'things', we may have to go beyond all
      questions. That is, the questions themselves are
      questioned. Looking at this systematically:

      'What' - There is only a what, a something, in relation to
      another something. Such identity and relation being
      basic to any understanding. Wave your what goodbye.

      'Why' - That there is a reason, a relation, a cause, can
      be shown, but only within a limit. I may want cake
      because I am hungry, but why am I hungry? etc etc.
      There is no reason for reason, let it go.

      'When' - Everything has a time, at least compared to
      the time of something else. Some thing has to be
      placed in time so that something else can be dated by
      comparison. Time is relative, don't linger any longer.

      'Where' - Like our 'when' there is no place without
      reference to some other place. I only know my territory
      by reference to someone else, someplace else. Space
      out please.

      'How' - That there is a method and a technique can be
      shown by an end result eg our cake. But like our 'why'
      (and like riding a bike) the initial 'how' remains
      unexplained. I know how to get up and take out the
      ingredients, I know how to think, until you ask. How
      how? Know how.

      'Who' - is the personal form of what. That someone is
      required to make the cake and be in relation to it. Until I
      look for myself. Only to find that this 'who' is the causal
      agent a 'why', but hey 'why' isn't a proper answer either.
      Well 'you' are in time, but hey, there is no 'when'. Well
      'you' are 'how' it happens, but hey, how do I happen?
      Well, 'you' are happening 'here', but hey, where is that?

      Without question, there is peace. It passes understanding.

      If teachers are oaks and acorns,
          what is the soil of the garden in which
          they all grow -- high and low?

      The soil provides the same nourishment
          to oak or acorn, and has no complaints
          about small things that grow there,
          and doesn't exult when something large
          takes root.

      Mazie Lane submits:

      From "Zen Bones, Zen Flesh: A Collection of Zen and
      Pre-Zen Writings," -

      95. A Letter to a Dying Man

      Bassui wrote the following letter to one of his disciples
      who was about to die:

      "The essence of your mind is not born, so it will never
      die. It is not an existence, which is perishable. It is not
      an emptiness, which is a mere void. It has neither color
      nor form. It enjoys no pleasures and suffers no pains.

      I know you are very ill. Like a good Zen student, you are
      facing that sickness squarely. You may not know who
      exactly is suffering, but question yourself: What is the
      essence of this mind? Think only of this. You will need
      no more. Covet nothing. Your end which is endless is
      as a snowflake dissolving in the pure air."

      and
      Hsing Hsing Ming

      To come directly into harmony with this reality just
      simply say when doubt arises, "Not two". In this "not
      two" nothing is separate, nothing is excluded. No
      matter when or where, enlightenment means entering
      this truth. And this truth is beyond extension or
      diminution in time or space; in it a single thought is ten
      thousand years.

      Emptiness here, Emptiness there, but the infinite
      universe stands always before your eyes. Infinitely large
      and infinitely small: no difference, for definitions have
      vanished and no boundaries are seen. So too with
      Being and non-Being. Don't waste time in doubts and
      arguments that have nothing to do with this. One thing,
      all things: move and intermingle, without distinction. To
      live in this realisation is to be without anxiety about
      non-perfection. To live in this faith is the road to
      non-duality. Because the non-dual is one with the
      trusting mind.

      Ken Carey: The extent of your consciousness is
      limited only by your ability to love and to embrace with
      your love the space around you, and all it contains

      paradigms, shrouds of universal experience, origins of language, sound

      Now I wonder about language as a means of
      transmission. Words, shrouds, what is passed is not
      the word, but what is within the word, a kernel within a
      seed.

      Now I wonder about the specificity of words, the
      apparent complexities produced from choosing, say,
      'compel' over 'impel'. So many fine gradations,
      sometimes the word choices are... not quite on target.
      But does that change the kernel?

      What would it be without words?

      Listening for what is not spoken.

      I listen for what YOU have to say, what you say with no
      words, I find that there is no you, that there is current,
      not silence, but current. That is all... keep listening.

      Seek my language. That's all... still listening.

      What is driving this great compunction to make onself
      understood through words?

      Silence by Bernadette Roberts

      "There is a silence within; a silence that descends from
      without; a silence that stills existence; and a silence that
      engulfs the entire universe. There is a silence of the self
      and its faculties of will, thought, memory, emotions.
      There is a silence in which there is nothing, a silence in
      which there is something; and finally, there is the
      silence of no-self and the silence of God."

      Jan: A thought: You can only know of silence if you have
      experienced noise. It is the absence of something that
      makes known the Presence! The absence of 'you' is
      the presence of 'God'. The Universe makes the void
      discernable. [Of course, silence is always there as
      background to the noise ... and God as background to
      'you' ... and the Universe is contained in the void.]

      Edward Abbey

      The significance of the desert: In the desert, a man
      comes directly upon a world that is not a projection of
      human consciousness, a world that has not been
      interpreted by art or science or myth, that bears no
      trace of humanity on its surface, that has no apparent
      connection to the indoor human world: In the desert one
      comes in direct confrontation with the bones of
      existence, the bare incomprehensible absolute is-ness
      of being. Like a temporary rebirth of childhood, when all
      was new and wonderful.

      Jan Sultan

      Please join my new group:

      UltimateAdvaita ยท Ramana Nisargadatta Balsekar
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UltimateAdvaita

      Nisargadatta Maharaj, Jiddu Krishnamurti and Ramesh
      Balsekar have said it all. Their writings are all you need
      to achieve Self-Realization or Enlightenment. This
      group is for the discussion and postings of their
      writings, extracts and quotes. [Of course other relevant
      quotes - specially 'Neo-Advaita' - and your own views
      are most welcome.]