Thursday, August 22, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2002

      Sri Gurudev Swami Satchidananda, founder of the Integral
      Yoga  Institute, passed away on Monday in India. (See article below.)

      #1174  -  Thursday, August 22, 2002  -  Editor: Jerry (I thank Gloria, Michael, John and Christiana for covering for me while I was on vacation.)

      DAVID BOZZI
      from NDS

      The Murderer & The Angel

      If someone forcibly grabs my head
      and dunks it underwater
      I will struggle violently
      and do anything possible
      to grasp
      that next precious
      molecule
      of air...

      Yet,

      if an angel of God
      appears before me
      and delivers the message
      that I will die
      six hours from now,

      I am infused with wonder,
      excitement
      and anticipation...

      Why the discrepancy?

      From The Other Syntax list:

      The Emerging Nagual

      "Your tonal has to be convinced with reasons, your
      Nagual with  actions, until one props the other. As I
      have told you, the tonal  rules, and yet it is very
      vulnerable. The Nagual, on the other hand,  never, or
      almost never, acts out; but when it does, it terrifies
      the  tonal.

      "This morning your tonal got frightened and began to
      shrink by  itself, and then your Nagual began to take
      over.

      "I had to borrow a bucket from one of the photographers
      in the  park in order to whip your Nagual like a bad dog
      back to its place.  The tonal must be protected at any
      cost. The crown has to be taken  away from it, but it
      must remain as the protected overseer.

      "Any threat to the tonal always results in its death.
      And if the  tonal dies, so does the whole man. Because
      of its inherent weakness  the tonal is easily destroyed,
      and thus one of the balancing arts of  the warrior is to
      make the Nagual emerge in order to prop up the  tonal. I
      say it is an art, because sorcerers know that only by
      boosting the tonal can the Nagual emerge. See what I
      mean? That boosting is called personal power."

      Shrinking the Tonal
      TALES OF POWER
      Carlos Castaneda

      from Daily Dharma list

      "The Dhammapada, an ancient Buddhist text (which
      anticipated Freud by thousands of years), says: 'What
      you are now is the result of what you were. What you
      will be tomorrow will be the result of what you are now.
      The consequences of an evil mind will follow you like
      the cart follows the ox that pulls it. The consequences
      of a purified mind will follow you like your own shadow.
      No one can do more for you than your own purified
      mind-no parent, no relative, no friend, no one. A
      well-discipline mind brings happiness.' Meditation is
      intended to purify the mind. It cleanses the thought
      process of what can be called psychic irritants, things
      like greed, hatred, and jealousy, which keep you snarled
      up in emotional bondage. Meditation brings the mind to a
      state of tranquility and awareness, a state of
      concentration and insight." ~Bhante Henepola Gunaratana.

      From the book, "Mindfulness: In Plain English,"
      published by Wisdom Publications.

      MACE MEALER
      from HarshaSatsangh

      Without Limitation

      You are given everything,
      everything you could
      ever truly need,
      including the ability
      to do with it
      what you will,
      without limitation.
      The real question is
      why is the
      complaint department
      so noisy,
      and the
      thank you department
      so quiet?

      BOB ROSE
      from Meditation Society of America

      Sri Gurudev Swami Satchidananda, founder of the Integral
      Yoga  Institute, passed away on Monday in India. He was
      perhaps the greatest influence in the direction of the
      Meditation Society of  America. His encouragement and
      blessings will always be in our hearts  as a
      never-ending inspiration to be righteous, humble, and
      compassionate in all our efforts.

      Peace and blessings,
      Bob Rose, President,
      Meditation Society of America

      Swami Satchidananda was one of the disciples of Swami
      Sivananda. He  first came to the US in 1966. He was the
      founder of the Integral Yoga  Institutes. In 1979, he
      established the Satchidananda Ashram in  Yogaville,
      Buckingham, Virginia. His motto was "Truth is One, Paths
      are Many". He was one of worlds greatest yoga and
      meditation masters  as well as one of the leading
      proponents of interfaith services and  conferences. As
      far as our association with him, Swamiji personally
      blessed the aim and work of the Meditation Society of
      America to  spread meditation knowledge freely, with
      compassion and humility, to  all who seek it. This was
      just in his openhearted desire to help all  who are
      trying to live up to his Guru's direction to "Be good.
      Do  good." His enlightened wisdom is well demonstrated
      in the articles he  contributed to our newsletter, The
      Inner Traveler. To further get to  know Sri Gurudev and
      his works, I suggest checking out the IYI web  site at:
      <http://www.yogaville.org> His light lives on in the many
      Swamis he initiated, and the hundreds of yoga teachers
      all over the  world, that have been graced by his yoga
      and meditation instruction.  Similarly, we feel deeply
      blessed to have had his love and support.
      --Bob Rose