Wednesday, August 21, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2002
      HIGHLIGHTS  #1172
      Wednesday, August 21, 2002
      Editor: Gloria Lee

      JAN BARENDRECHT

      Sends a website (worth the download wait, even if  your modem is slow).
      Considering our Michael's recent forays into humorland, we may need to
      write our own version of their disclaimer....which to be on the safe side, is given
      here to be sure you read it before viewing these "controversial" yoga videos.
      If you only have time for one, I saw all three and liked the karma one best.

      "YogaKitty's"

      EXERCISE DISCLAIMER: Always consult your doctor or veterinarian before
      beginning any exercise program.

      ANIMAL RIGHTS DISCLAIMER: No animals were harmed in any way in
      the making of "PURR-FECT YOGA". Ovaria is our favorite spiritual entity &
      not one to be messed with. As a matter of fact, she really got mad at us when
      we stopped filming. She missed all the extra attention & treats!

      SPIRITUAL HUMOR DISCLAIMER: It is well known that almost all Yogis
      have a great sense of humor. Many great spiritual leaders have valued a good
      joke. We certainly wish to offend no one. Personally, we believe that anything
      worth taking seriously is worth making fun of. If you wish to complain, please
      feel free to do so publicly so that you will draw the most possible attention to
      our site.

      I ACCEPT

      these disclaimers as self-evident & want to see the videos now.

      NINA MURREL-KISNER
      from Open_Source_Spirit
      (Gene Poole's new list)

      From my sage of the moment, Ani DiFranco:

      (excerpted from a song called Fuel, the Little Plastic Castle album)

      ...am i headed for the same brick wall
      is there anything i can do about
      anything at all?
      except go back to that corner in manhattan
      and dig deeper, dig deeper this time
      down beneath the impossible pain of our history
      beneath unknown bones
      beneath the bedrock of the mystery
      beneath the sewage systems and the path train
      beneath the cobblestones and the water mains
      beneath the traffic of friendships and street deals
      beneath the screeching of kamikaze cab wheels
      beneath everything i can think of to think about
      beneath it all, beneath all get out
      beneath the good and the kind and the stupid and the cruel
      there's a fire just waiting for fuel

      there's a fire just waiting for fuel

      GENE POOLE
      from Open_Source_Spirit

      As one who watches
      division  /fission and
      joining / fusion

      I notice these events
      apparently happening
      and they are happening
      in emptiness

      I guess this is what is
      called 'change'

      Yet emptiness does
      not change

      I feel every twitch of
      change as though
      all change is
      happening
      in me

      I guess
      that makes me
      emptiness

      If I ran Starbucks
      I would make a drink
      called
      Nuclear Sunrise

      Like 'realization' in words

      Like 'enlightenment'
      in the realm of
      phenomenology

      Chemical relativity
      understood makes
      formulation of hyper-
      caffeineated drinks
      easy

      So too does
      understood
      relativity of meanings
      make formulation of
      conceptual light
      easy

      Chemical light
      Conceptual light
      Understanding

      Yes it is play
      in emptiness

      And entirely
      'do-able'...

      ==Gene Poole==

      Etymologists discover ancient
      secret burial grounds of
      proto-words, and bones of
      first thesaurus... pictures
      at eleven...

      JP
      from O_S_S

      "babies, onomatopoeia and language as divine virus"

      Hi Nina and Gloria, dear all

      A groovy bunch of thoughts by a fella named Brian Charles Clark:
      http://www.wdog.com/brian/Scriptorium/ono_naming.htm

      -----------------

      I love the talk about babies, sound, awareness, learning.

      How awesome it is to observe babies! Magnificent teachers.

      Talk about Presence! Look at those eyes, just observing -
      without established points of reference - without an established
      and conditioned sense of self! Look at what shines through.
      Awesome!

      People may like to have the darshan of living or deceased Indian
      masters or look at their photos. I like to look at babies and be
      seen by babies.

      If anyone has babies now - how exquisitely blessed you are to
      be with them, learn from them and remember - remember.

      The many instincts in the baby are there - hardwired - including
      the making of sounds and mimicry. And all too quickly - the
      sense of a separate self develops - the brain fills with
      information and points of reference - emotions, pain, reactions,
      protections, boundaries experienced - individual and collective
      myths acquired and lived out unawares.

      Thankfully, we do have access to that awesome state of
      immediate eternal awareness even in adulthood. It never went
      away. Oops...where did it just go?

      gaa-gaa-goo-goo,

      JP who is wearing Depends undergarments and a bib :)

      ANJIN
      from ZenPearl

      This is my favorite zen song...sung by Grover Monster...

      Monster in the Mirror

      Music by Christopher Cert
      Lyrics by Norman Stiles
      'c1989 Sesame Street, Inc ASCAP/Splotched Animal Music BMI

      Saw a monster in the mirror
      When I woke up today,
      A monster in my mirror
      But I did not run away.
      I did not shed a tear or hide beneath my bed,
      Though the monster looked at me
      And this is what he said:

      Chorus:
      Wubba wubba wubba wubba
      Woo woo woo,
      Wubba wubba wubba
      And a doodly-do.

      He sang wubba wubba wubba
      So I sang it too.
      Do not wubba me
      Or l will wubba you!
      Do not wubba me
      Or l will wubba you!

      Told the monster in the mirror,
      "No, I am not scared!"
      Then I smiled at him and thanked him for
      The song that we had shared.
      Well, the monster thanked me too, me too,
      He smiled right back and then
      The monster in the mirror sang his song again.
      (Repeat chorus. )

      He went wubba wubba wubba
      And I sang along.
      Yes, wubba wubba wubba
      Is a monster song!

      If your mirror has a monster in it, do not shout;
      This kind of situation does not call for freaking out
      And do nothing that you would not like to see him do,
      'Cause that monster in the mirror
      He just might be you.
      (Repeat chorus. )

      Wubba wubba wubba
      You can join in too...

      Yes, if you wubba me
      Then I will wubba you!
      Going wubba wubba wubba
      Is the thing to do!

      Every time you wubba us
      We'll wubba you!

      BOBBY GRAHAM
      from Harsha Satsangh

      Date:  Mon Jul 29, 2002
      Pershing
      I was remembering some friends of mine the other day, two artists, Pershing and
      Maxwell. Pershing was about sixty-five and Maxwell a little younger when I met
      them. Pershing had a lot of talent and insight and Maxwell was talented but self
      serving.

      Pershing was the man who told me lots of things I had not thought of. He told me
      that when I finally did the kind of art I thought I wanted, I may find out it was not
      the kind of art I wanted to do. He was right.

      He also told me about his idea of anarchy. It was a world where rules and order
      were not imposed on people. It was a world where each person did the right thing
      automatically and rules weren't needed and order was in the mind and heart.

      Maxwell was one of the people instrumental in limiting the number of artists that
      could work in the French Quarter. This meant that when new artists came to town,
      they would not be able to earn money to stay, and would have to move on. Years
      later this resulted in the number of the artists falling so low that the city allowed
      other businesses to take over and most of the artists left the French Quarter. His
      selfishness ultimately backfired on Maxwell.

      Years passed and Pershing got skin cancer that progressed but he still would not
      quit working. He had a lot of knowledge of accupressure and was always glad to
      help others remove their shoes and administer foot therapy with steel tipped
      fingers developed from years of practice. His treatments were agony but you knew
      it worked and he helped lots of people. You could usually see him with someone's
      foot in his hands explaining what was probably wrong with them by where he
      found sensitivity.

      As Pershing got sicker he would just come out and sit on the park benches. I found
      out that if I talked to him he would be polite but he would get so tired from talking
      I finally just said 'hi' and let him groove on his own.

      One day I was talking with Maxwell and he said Pershing had been a good artist
      before he went crazy. This angered me because I knew Pershing was clear but
      dying and I thought it was a cheap shot. Pershing was in a sort of twilight zone.

      Here is the thing, Pershing thought about his condition and Maxwell showed no
      signs of any self scrutiny. To Maxwell he was crazy because he did not understand
      him. It occurred to me that of the two, the one who is crazy is the one who seldom
      takes stock of their condition. While it is true that that is just being ignorant, crazy
      has to start somewhere. Pershing could never make himself heard to Maxwell.

      Pershing was a great man and he did not need anyone else to know it. Hell I doubt
      if he knew it himself.

      Love  Bobby G.

        "Pershing" painting by Bobby Graham