Sunday, August 18, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19 6:53 PM

      HIGHLIGHTS #1169
      Sunday, August 18, 2002
      Editor: Gloria Lee

      ALAN LARUS
      from Harsha Satsangh
      photos by Alan Larus for his poem
      may also be seen as attachments or on
      Highlights list at Yahoo. (hopefully)

      Not at all

      like a wave on a beach
      your face when you sleep
      silence in the corn
      the empty sky

      no not at all like this
      but still ...

      the shape of the heart

      KHEYALA

      8/17/02

      Yesterday I was faced with an intense decision. I went in the direction of what
      I wanted and before long I started wondering, "Is this okay? Is this the right
      thing to do?" I realized I was suffering.

      I sat down and closed my eyes. I saw that I was willing to give up what I
      thought I wanted because I wanted Peace most of all. I opened my heart and
      asked what to do and immediately I knew. In Peace, I called off all movement
      of the original choice and followed what I understood to be Right in the
      deepest part of me.

      Today, the result of that action yielded what I interpreted as a very negative
      result! What a shock. I started to cry. I thought to myself, "I asked deeply and
      quietly and I received guidance. I followed that guidance and look what
      happened? How can I trust this guidance??" Then I noticed I was REALLY
      suffering.

      Again I stopped and again I got really quiet. I saw that I have an opportunity to
      trust even when all of the evidence is screaming, "Doubt! Doubt!" I saw that it
      is possible to trust no matter what.

      I thought about what it would be like to find my body being brutally strung up
      and nailed to a cross and STILL have trust.

      MAZIE LANE
      from Harsha Satsangh

      "True surrender is love of God for the sake of love and nothing
      else, not even for the sake of liberation. Love itself is the actual
      form of God. That is pure bliss. Call it pure bliss, God, Self, or
      what you will. That is devotion, that is realization and that is
      everything. The experience of not forgetting consciousness alone is
      the state of devotion which is the relationship of unfading real
      love, because the real knowledge of Self, which shines as the
      undivided supreme bliss itself, surges up as the nature of love. Only
      if one knows the truth of love, which is the nature of the Self,
      will the strong entangled knot of life be untied. Only if one attains
      the height of love will liberation be attained. The experience of
      Self is only love, which is seeing only love, hearing only love,
      feeling only love, tasting only love and smelling only love, and this
      is bliss. God does not reside in any place other than the Heart. Be
      sure that the heart is the Kingdom of Heaven."

      ~ Ramana

      HARSHA
      from HS

      Mace, as you asked, there are references to the Heart throughout Sri
      Ramana's "Talks".

      Here is some of what I wrote earlier (from HS website.)

      http://www.harshasatsangh.com/MagazineV2/harsha/heart.html

      We can distinguish between the three hearts. There is the physical
      organ that pumps blood, there is the Heart Center of Kundalini Yoga -
      a major psychic center, and then there is the Spiritual Heart, which
      is beyond the Sahasarara chakra and all the centers. It is the Center
      beyond all centers.

      In Sanskrit, the word Hridyam is used and that is translated into
      English as the Heart. I am not a Sanskrit scholar but Hrid means
      Heart or Center. "Hridyam" means "Here is the Center." It is the Same
      as Buddha Nature, The Original Nature, Self, Original Face, Shunya,
      etc.

      When Upanishads mention the Hridyam or Hridya Gufa (Cave of the
      Heart) or Ramana Maharshi speaks of the Heart, they are speaking of
      this Center of Being...Pure Being, Pure Presence without edges, the
      Spiritual Heart. Upon seeing Suzuki's quote, I was actually struck by
      the similarity between how I would describe the Heart and the way
      Suzuki described the Buddhist perspective. Here is the quote:

      "All-knowledge is what constitutes the essence of Buddhahood. It does
      not mean that the Buddha knows every individual thing, but that he
      has grasped the fundamental principle of existence and that he has
      penetrated deep down into the center of his own being."

      Again the following quote from Suzuki is stunning for its beauty and
      clarity:

      D.T. Suzuki (1870-1966)

      "Penetrating deep down into the center of one's own being one finds a
      nameless transparency, an awake space filled by all the world, from
      one's own thoughts and feelings and body to the stars in the heavens.
      This still, spacious no-thingness is the heart of everyone's being.
      Thus to find this no-thingness is to see that one is fundamentally
      united with all beings. At root there is only one - the One."

      Awakening to the One is primarily a matter of actual seeing, of bare
      attention, rather than intellectual understanding - vital as
      understanding is. As Suzuki said, "I see. This is it." This seeing is
      not yet another state of mind that comes and goes. It is awake No-
      mind, the ground of being that underlies and is the source of all
      states of mind, including samadhi. The contents of mind come and go
      in No-mind.

      The quotes of Suzuki are remarkable in that I (having a totally
      different background and training than Suzuki and a close affinity
      with Kundalini Yoga) find them resonating with the Truth of Being.

      GENE POOLE
      from NDS

      Greetings All...

      I have started a new Yahoo! email list/group
      called 'Open Source Spirit'.

      The purpose of my new group is to eventually
      compile a workable and useful 'open source'
      glossary of definitions which apply to the
      human experience of 'spirituality'.

      'Open source' means... non-proprietary, not
      'owned' by any tradition of religion or
      predefined source. It also means 'free'... to be
      released into the 'wild' of human
      communications, to be used, and to be modified
      as is found useful.

      You can find some ideas as to what is
      'open source' here:

      <
      http://www.opensource.org/>

      <
      http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php>

      <
      http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html>

      Membership is open... all are free to join,
      but all who join are subject to the 'TOS' as
      found in the 'Files' section of my site.

      If you would like to join, to participate or
      simply to read what we are up to:

      <
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Open_Source_Spirit/>

      Thanks...