Highlights from Sat., Sept. 25

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 1999
      I met an ex-patriot of the Easter Islands, (monolithic
      carved heads...)
      who said his native language consisted of verbal lore
      accompanied by the geometric pattern of a string game, known
      in the US as 'Cat's Cradle'.

      You start with a long loop of string, fastened then
      repeatedly, between fingers, alternating patterns between
      partners, between different sets of fingers. The verbal
      story is then metered, and "sumchecked" against this string
      play. Childs play. Digital.

      But then you think of those 3 to 4 metre heads, like giant
      puppet masters of the past still and looking on, I

      When all sense of separate self just got lost into I don't
      know. When all the comings and goings are over. Then indeed
      there is nothing to convey. Not even on this mailing list.
      Yet I try.

      Love always,

      Made some changes and additions to the Nonduality Salon web

      Added the following to the Realizers/Confessors List:

      (Note: The Realizers/Confessors list is now much easier to
      navigate. Instead of one long page of over 200 names and
      quotes, it has been divided into eight pages: Main,
      Introduction, A-D, E-H, I-L, M-P, Q-T, U-Z)

      David | Thayumanavar | Kate Wheeler | Peter Collins | Haiku
      Poets (Japanese) | Thomas J. McFarlane | S.S. Shankar |
      Mirror | Anand Amrit | William Fahey | Hilda Charlton |
      Swami Beyondananda | Durius Nguyen The Desert Fathers | Ma |
      Alice Bailey | Padre Pio

      Made available Nonduality Salon Chat: fun, informal, just
      type in your name and join the discussion; there are no set
      hours, you have to poke your head in and see if anyone's

      To check it all out, please go to

      Note that Mirror is on the Nonduality Salon list. There are
      several others on the list that I'll eventually create web
      pages for. Mirror/Mira already has a web page (an excellent
      one), so it was a matter of linking.

      You'll find that the names added form the usual eclectic
      bunch. Shankar and Fahey are both artists; their paintings
      are featured, though they've composed words to go with their

      Collins and McFarlane are mathematicians and their work is
      'heavy' and nondual related.

      Dan wrote:
      Thus, any image is simply an image. When there is no "me"
      in any image - there are simply images arising and
      departing. What is it then that gives an image its
      qualities? How is sensation determined, shape, form,
      coming, departing, associations?
      Once mind is noticed as itself an image, a very mysterious
      quality shines through each and any image or sensory
      experience (an image is the reflection of a sense
      experience, which is a reflection of a sense experience,
      etc.) This "shining" is very inexplicable!

      It's not a matter of reflection, memory, thought, or

      ~Mira~ wrote:

      Yes. Very well put. I have tried to describe this quality
      as 'sameness'. Perhaps it is for the absence of judgemental
      and comparing mind activity that images and experiences
      shine through with this transparency. I can still see the
      quality that my mind attaches to it, but it has nothing to
      do with the original, empty, sameness quality. Mysterious
      is indeed a beautiful word for it, for this word kind of
      excuses the mind for 'not being able to grasp it'.

      Thank you Dan,

      With love, Mira

      Jim and Dan:

      J: <snip> I have convinced myself of things before only to
      find out that I was way off base, things I've felt
      passionately about, so when people display passion as
      evidence that their truth is the TRUTH, I become suspicious.

      D: Passion driving the truth, concepts driving the truth,
      tradition driving the truth - it all amounts to bringing
      something with you into the present in order to understand
      the present Starting from the present itself - it can go
      anywhere - to passion, concepts, traditions - but the
      understanding of it is from itself

      J: -I don't want anyone to fully express anything, I'm just
      looking for something more than nothing...presented as

      D: What is wisdom? There have been so many teachings
      already that are supposed to be "wise" - are more needed?
      The wisdom you ask for seems likely to be insufficient if it
      comes from "someone else." Someone else's wisdom applied to
      your experience can only be bringing something with you to
      the present.

      Dan: The question is, "how mysterious is this very moment,
      this exactly as it is?"

      J: -Very, I've been paying closer attention, and it gets
      more interesting all the time.

      D: That's all there is to "do" here...

      J: - I've got nothing against words, in fact, it's words of
      course that I'm looking for here (as if it could be avoided)
      it's just the word nothing thats bothering me.

      D: I an empty canvas bothersome? It's just there. Does it
      need something to fill it? Well, in this case, there are
      endless paintings arising from the empty canvas, moment to
      moment. Does calling it "nothing" detract from it? Would
      calling it "God" add something to it? If it's yourself,
      does that clarify it? If it's totally other, does that make
      it any more mysterious?

      D: Here you are. Here's "your" experience. Where is the
      line between "you" and "your experience"?

      J: - I haven't found it.

      D: To me, that's an important awareness. One can stay
      there, noticing that no "real" line exists - simply
      conventions of thought, word, memory. Conventional
      assumptions about reality are called into question simply
      from noticing that "me" and "my experience"
      aren't separable. If there isn't a me separable, then what
      separates this moment from any moment? If one moment
      contains all moments, and one being contains all beings,
      then one "nothing" contains all somethings.

      "Sooner or later you're going to learn the difference...
      between knowing the path, and walking the path."

      Morpheus, "The Matrix"

      (from Tim)

      greetings to all I have just joined there is something here
      . . .
      here's something from Jim "words dissemble words be quick
      words become my walking stick" . . .
      from dave

      Kristi sent several memorable poems. This is one you'll

      Yellow Rose appeared in the parking lot of Shop Smart this
      morning in the company of Toad. She, dark haired, and
      alive, with the mellow wisdom of middle age; he, red braids
      and large hands adorned with many rings, young and seeking.
      It is the way of the street, nomadic and tribal. People
      appear and disappear. Every moment of time in the company of
      goodness is precious; you never forget them. She brought
      silverware to our camp at the Pyramid that
      night and told me to stop trying so hard. "Tom, will get
      tired," she said, "then he will listen. Some battles," she
      "cannot be won by fighting."

      The next day we went to their camp behind the green bridge,
      to a colorful gathering of people and tarps and blankets.
      A large central kitchen was organized with cast iron
      skillets hung above the fire. Toad presented us with a 5
      length of green pipe that he had laboriously beaten into
      shape, heating and re-heating the metal until one end was
      flattened into an angle at odds to the rest of the pipe.
      This end went into the fire and allowed us to blow from the
      other end without getting burned; the flames fairly leapt
      from the embers as a simple, single breath of air magnified
      the elements and goaded them into performing for us. Toad
      ran his kitchen with the steady rhythmns of a railroad
      conductor. Great clouds of billowing smoke and steam
      announced that the
      kitchen was gearing up to feed the masses.
      We were a small mass that day; we ate beans and rice, soups,
      vegetables and bread, some of it probably
      retrieved from the grocery store dumpsters.

      Yellow Rose took me by the hand and told me I needed
      tending. She rubbed
      tiny white and lavendar flowers from a
      bush until they frothed into a great luxurious lather. She
      washed my face and hands and feet. She simmered rosemary
      around her own smaller campfire and washed my hair. She sang
      softly and
      sweetly under her breath, and reminded me from time to time
      that not all battles can be won by fighting.

      I never saw her again. I will never forget her.

      Kristi responded to Eric's tale of how someone knocked at
      his door and cohersed him into a 'loan' of $20 and drives
      around town in order to engage in apparent drug deal. Eric
      called it 'surrender'.

      Dearest Eric:

      If a brother comes to your door and you are led by light and
      love, you say to him:

      "Brother, the Lord has sent you......I will give you the
      $20.00 you ask for; please do not repay me....some day
      someone will come to you and will ask of you....give to him
      then......this is the Way of the Lord....but I cannot drive
      you around.....I cannot help you hurt yourself.....Go with
      God, Brother."

      If you are bodhisattva....then you go with him, you help him
      buy his drugs, you help him shoot them up....you walk WITH
      him in love and respect of his True Nature, unconcerned with
      his doings of the body....to teach him what he really
      is...and to abide with him while he learns that pain and
      suffering is not what he wants.....in this way he learns the
      capacity for Trust...which he is lacking, and only through
      Trust will he learn of his worthiness and blessedness...you
      do not judge him because you do not know the meaning of
      judgement; you know only the meaning of presence and
      adoration.....eating dinner is no different in that place
      from shooting drugs....AND, if you go to jail for his
      doings, it doesn't matter, you are then bodhisattva in jail
      because it matters not where you are or who you are with or
      what you love because you ARE LOVE and can do nothing but

      You are not free to walk the path of the
      bodhisattva.....bodhisattva has no attachments....knows not
      of their meaning......you have children....you are not free
      to explore this..........

      If, you are called to answer to these situations, and you
      feel lifted up by joy and great love, proceed........if you
      feel fear or trepidation - pay attention - still, act with
      love, but love of yourself and your children as well as him
      who you would help. Bodhisattva is surrender of
      extraordianry proportions.....what Judi talks about as
      surrender is nothing compared to what you are toying

      Much love, Kristi