Friday, August 16, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2002
      HIGHLIGHTS #1167
      Friday, August 16, 2002
      Editor: Gloria Lee

      COLETTE
      from Zen Pearl

      curtain of the world

      'If it is said that I am concealed by the existence of the world,
      then who is it that blossoms in the form of the world? Can a red
      jewel be concealed by its own luster? Does a chip of gold lose its
      goldness if turned into an ornament? Does a lotus lose itself when it
      blossoms into so many petals? When a seed of grain is sown & grows
      into an ear of corn, is it destroyed or does it appear in its
      enhanced glory? So there is no need to draw the curtain of the world
      away in order to have my vision, because I am the whole panorama.'

      Jnaneshwar

      MACE MEALER
      from Harsha Satsangh

      I was on the way to make the deposit this morning, when I had gone a couple of
      blocks, I  noticed a lady in the median up ahead running back and forth picking up
      blowing sheets  of paper frantically. It was obvious she was desperately trying to
      recover a stack of  papers that had somehow gotten out of her car and were being
      swiftly distributed by the  wind, and gusts from speeding cars to an area covering
      about a city block.

      I pulled over and spent the next several minutes dodging heavy traffic with one
      other  good Samaritan who had stopped the same as I to assist. In the course of
      pulling soggy  sheets from the gutters and the weeds on the median I noticed that
      they were printed  with stanzas of poetry, and I realized why she was so
      hopelessly desperate to to recover  every piece, it was really her heart that was
      blowing down that busy street disappearing  into the maddening pace of that
      nonstop traffic. Then she came up to me, obviously  exhausted, clutching dozens
      of sheets to her chest and simply said "Thank you so much!"  as she took what I
      had collected... I replied "You're welcome." got in my car and drove  away
      thinking how really small, yet very magical, this world can be.

      TERRY MURPHY
      from Zen Pearl

      An absolute can only be given in an intuition, while all the rest has to do with
      analysis. We call intuition here the sympathy by which one is transported into the
      interior of an object in order to coincide with what there is unique and consequently
      inexpressible in it. Analysis, on the contrary, is the operation which reduces the
      object to elements already known.

      Henri Bergson

       Daily Dharma

      "This moment
      This love comes to rest in me,
      Many beings
      In one being.
      In one Wheat-grain
      A thousand sheaf stacks.
      Inside the needle's eye,
      A turning night of stars."

      ~~ Rumi

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      From the book, "The Illuminated Rumi"
      published by Broadway Books New York.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      SANDY CARMICHAEL
      from Spiritual Friends

      This poem is by a friend of mine, Ken Wolman.  He was a half mile from
      the towers on Sept. 11th.  This was written five days later:

      STARDUST MEMORIES OF SEPTEMBER 16, 2001

      Our dog is a huge mutt combo, Shepherd and Rott
      with the jaws of a wolf, the manic prance.
      Ninety-two pounds of him, he leaps on our bed,
      leans to slurp, bares his teeth in a hound-grin,
      then chases a cat and barks like an offkey posthorn.

      But in this morning's sunlight he lays playing dead
      on the comforter, paws drawn up, wanting the touch of my hands
      to rub his stomach, massage his great ribcage, stroke
      the side of his face at perfect rest, eyes half-closed.
      Here, now, he is quiescent, wants only this peace,
      craves my touch, my whisper and kiss on the side of his wolf-face.

      And in this moment he passes into me the sweetest of losses,
      perfect unwitting forgetfulness of what I have lately seen.
      He casts from me the unpurgeable sight:
      a mobile of Hell hanging in my vision, of cities burning,
      daymares of death spinning from the sky.
      He is all Present, our Hound of Heaven, time beyond time,
      and I hear only his breathing, my own stopped,

      and in the background on the jazz station, Tormé eternal,
      singing "Stardust" that rains down life upon us,
      Eternity the feast of Here.

                      ~Ken Wolman

      http://www.kenwolman.com/stardust.html

      Begin from homepage to read more poems and journal stories.

      KHEYALA
      Adventures at Rasa Ranch #37

      Today, just for fun, Ananda and I were doing some beginning math
      together  out of a book. She was supposed to figure out if there were
      enough bones for  the dogs on the page by matching them up together.
      I could see by glancing at  it that we were one bone short. She
      proceeded to draw lines from all the dogs  except one and when she
      was done I asked, "So, were there enough bones for  the dogs?" She
      said, "Yep." I pointed and said, "What about this one?" She  said,
      "Mommy, yook at him. He doesn't yook hungry at all."

      GILL EARDLEY
      from Spiritual Friends

      the site doesn't give a book or author attribution.

      Hotei, the Happy Chinaman

      Hotei lived in the T'ang dynasty. He had no desire to call himself a Zen
      master or to gather many disciples about him. Instead he walked the streets
      with a big sack into which he would put gifts of candy, fruit, or doughnuts.
      These he would give to children who gathered around him to play. He
      established a kindergarten of the streets. Whenever he met a Zen devotee
      he would extend his hand and say: "Give me one penny." And if anyone
      asked him to return to a temple to teach, again he would reply: "Give me
      one penny." Once as he was about his play-work another Zen master
      happened along and inquired: "What is the significance of Zen?" Hotei
      immediately plopped his sack down on the ground in silent answer. "Then,"
      asked the other, "what is the actualization of Zen?" At once Hotei swung
      the sack over his shoulder and continued on his way.

      Allspirit Website: http://www.allspirit.co.uk

      JAN SULTAN
      from Sufi Mystic

      Surrender is the simple but profound wisdom of yielding to rather
      than opposing  the flow of life. The only place where you can
      experience the flow of life is the  Now, so to surrender is to accept
      the present moment unconditionally and without  reservation. It is to
      relinquish inner resistance to what is.

      - Eckhart Tolle

      LEE LOVE
      from Zen Pearl