Monday, August 12, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2002

      Highlights # 1163
      Monday, August 12, 2002
      Editor: Gloria Lee

      ===============================
      All posts for this issue are taken from Zen Pearl,
      a small, but quite lively list.
      ================================

      DAVID BOZZI

      Oh good! I recently discovered this wonderful web site
      (or did it find me?)
      crafted with such love. I'm sure many would enjoy...
      Breaking free from the circle of fear
      might be easier if we could only see
      what's binding us up in the first place.
      I decided to look inside for the answers.

      My dreams began to inform me.
      I listened to the wisdom of the great sages of all religions.
      I thought about my experiences in the light of these truths.

                 I grew very tired of myself.

                 Like a tsunami in saran wrap,
                 a raging volcano under glass,
                 a child perpetually in tantrum.

                 I grew very tired of my little self.

      -- Melissa Osborne
      http://www.lyricalworks.com/homepage.htm

      COLETTE

      Wild Gold

      Today held something different for me at work.
      I sit here deepened, slit into inside.
      I work at a primary school
      With children from many parts of the globe.

      Recently as I worked with my wild side,
      Facing beastly pain within,
      I realised the angry boy in my class
      Hitting out at everyone (cept me)
      Represents a young Wildman
      Wearing khaki green.

      He sits here with no English
      Just enough to get him by.
      Abandoned child & wildboy,
      With sister by his side.
      Today he arrived with metal
      Piercing  his arm.
      He had woven his sister's earring
      Like a thorn into his skin.
      Carving initials of his pain
      Further down his arm.

      This was quite a surprise for a teacher
      On an ordinary Tuesday at school.
      Will I ever have an ordinary day again?
      I felt wrenched inside
      To see his beautiful smiling face hiding his pain.

      His warrior nature at war already,
      To prove he is a man.
      Tender age of  just 12,
      Carrying so much pain.
      And yet so much innocence
      He hasn't a clue why he does
      What he do.

      I told him you are gold,
      And, never never forget.
      All children are gold
      Please don't hurt yourself again.
      I told his sister she is a flower.
      What colour flower are you today?
      These are unusual strategies for a teacher to use
      And I find myself wondering,
      If I set wildboy up for success or failure in a wildworld,
      By asking him to admit to his pain?

      But I know he will never put an earring
      Into his skin again.
      Gentle words have tamed his pain.
      Out came the metal.
      Out came the shame.
      So, I speak to the Buddha gold within.
      Never ever forget who you really are.
      You are Nature's precious children,
      Gold flowers Blooming in God's domain.

      Colette October 23 2001
      DEMIAN

      This will give you a list of the "Traditions and Schools of Buddhism"

      http://buddhismcanada.com/schools.html

      Also the way that you question things is the correct path as spoken by
      Shakyamuni Buddha in the Kalama Sutra:

      "Do not believe in anything
      simply because you have heard it.
      Do not believe in traditions
      simply because they have been handed
      down for many generations.
      Do not believe in anything
      simply because it is spoken and rumored by many.
      Do not believe in anything
      simply because it is found written in your religious books.
      Do not believe in anything
      merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
      But when, after observation and analysis,
      you find anything that agrees with reason,
      and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all,
      then accept it and live up to it."

      WIM BORSBOOM

      When the need for questions is gone one sees that an answer was never
      needed.

      FUDO

      Dear Group:

      Wim said:"When the need for questions is gone one sees
      that an answer was never needed."

      Is that really so?

      I still say when one feels no need for questions..one
      is either a fanatic or a fool.and being either is
      dangerous for oneself and all beings...

      There are many instances in the Sutras when the Buddha
      changed his answer after questions or persuasion. If
      there was no need for questions or no doubt.why would
      the answer change?

      Suggesting others should have no doubt or not have
      questions mearly leaves them open for abuse. ...very
      dangerous in these or any times..I cannot imagine a
      responsible teacher saying such a thing...There is
      always room for questions and for doubt.To think that
      one knows all..that one has nothing left to learn this
      then is the height of ego.Not even the Buddha was
      above reproach..in fact his whole method of teaching
      was to encourage questions.It was not doubt that
      Mahakashapa had eliminated when the flower was
      shown...it was a thought of Mahakashapa that was
      gone..not thoughts as a whole ...just he was acting
      without thought of himself.There was no seperation
      between Mahakashapa and the flower ..therefore the
      smile happened.

      To have no doubt..no questions...very dangerous for
      those who follow a leader or just practice on their
      own..and even more dangerous for one who would lead
      others

      I am sure no one on THIS list would be tempted to use
      their spiritual authority (either self given or in
      some tradition or another) to satisfy a hungry ego or
      to abuse or defraud others. BUT it has been done.(see
      Jim Jones, Maharaji Shri Rashneesh [sp?]a large number
      of Catholic priests here in America and now around the
      world it seems.) It is possible to be on such an ego
      trip that you cannot even see how far wrong you have
      gone.

      The real world keeps coming at one, it demands an
      answer every moment. If one is paying attention there
      is always the question ..ok what now? If no answer is
      forthcoming the universe will run right over the poor
      fool who has no question or is paying no attention..To
      just answer the question..to just ring the bell
      ...without thinking .."god I hate this"..or "I really
      like this"..or "I wonder when I will get something
      more to eat?" This is what those old sages were
      talking about..Maybe just to think.."It is time to
      strike the bell...now!" and do it, without anything
      extra ..is enough..How could one possibly do this
      without a question?

      For whatever it is worth...

      EARL

      Doubt cannot exist in Singularity.
      How could doubt and clarity co-exist??
      A fool or fanatic presupposes something to be
      foolish about or a something to be fanatical about. All delusion.
      Just my thought. I am surely no expert.

      NORMA

      Interpretation is as individual as each of us are......"when the need for
      questions is gone"......can certainly be interpreted as being in a state of
      existence where the need to know has diminished...not because all is
      known...but more because...of the acceptance of life and the allowance of
      life...

      Norma

      FUDO

      Dear list,

      There is an old chinese saying that goes something
      like this..If one person calls you a jackass, ignore
      them. If two people call you a jackass buy a bridle
      and a blanket.
      Wim,
      I know you did not mean to come off as arrogant or
      egotistical...maybe just a little doubt might have
      come in handy....perhaps you might like to rephrase or
      explain your statement?

      DAVID BOZZI

      > There is an old chinese saying that goes something
      > like this..If one person calls you a jackass, ignore

      them. If two people call you a jackass buy a bridle
      > and a
      blanket.

      That's cute.
      (comic book wisdom)

      Take it for what it's worth
      like everything else.
      (with a grain of salt)

      More than 2 folks called
      Charles Manson a saviour

      More than 2 folks called
      him crazy.

      We could try to
      settle the score
      by counting votes,

         ...but that would really be foolish.

      Wim,
      > I know you did not mean to come off as arrogant or

      egotistical...maybe just a little doubt might have
      > come in
      handy....perhaps you might like to rephrase or
      > explain your
      statement?

      What is it
      within you
      that makes demands?

      I demand to know!

      David
      (egotistical)

      FUDO

      Hmmmm Charles Manson ...wasn't he another spiritual
        leader that could not be questioned???
        As far as I can see from the news he still has no
        questions.....

        Fudo
        (egotistical)

      WIM

      Michael wrote:
      Maybe I am wrong..but in the descriptions of a Buddha or a bodhisattva,
      I have never heard no doubt as a characteristic of either.

      Sometimes you hear things for the first time

      DAVID BOZZI

      Whom Do We Believe?

      Mulla Nasrudin had an insatiable craving for knowledge,
      but did not seem to know what knowledge was. As a result
      he asked a local wise man the stupidest questions, always
      based upon random assumptions.

      One day the Mulla noticed that his donkey was missing. He
      ran to the wise man's house.

      "Well, Mulla, what is it this time?"

      "My donkey is gone! Where can I find it?"

      The wise man was quite fed up with the Mulla.
      "Nasrudin," he said, "the donkey has run off,
      turned into a man and been appointed the magistrate in the next town."

      Thanking the wise man for his information, the Mulla trudged
      to the court. There sat the magistrate, and Nasrudin shook
      his fist at him:

      "Come home at once, you foolish animal!"

      The magistrate was furious.
      "Who are you and how dare you talk to me like that?
      I'll have you sent to the cells!"

      "I'm the well-known, Mulla Nasrudin, and I have it on the
      best authority that you are my donkey!"

      "That's ridiculous. Nobody in his right senses would credit
      such a thing!"

      Nasrudin drew himself up to his full height, "Say what you
      like," he said, "I prefer to believe the statement of a wise man
      rather than that of a donkey!"