Friday, August 9, 2002 (not again, really Friday's)

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2002
      Highlights #1161
      Friday August 9, 2002
      Editor: Gloria Lee
      from DailyDharma
      "Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. I drink at it; but  while I
      drink, I see the sandy bottom and detect how  shallow it is. Its
      thin current slides away, but eternity  remains. I would drink
      deeper; fish in the sky, whose  bottom is pebbly with stars."
      ~Henry David Thoreau
      from Unitive Conscious Awareness
      The Doll
      Here I sit
      on a hot park bench
      with wooden splinters
      stabbing my point of contact

      scraping ideas and possibilities together
      like two sticks
      trying to light a fire
      in my primitive mind

         ...I’d make a lousy caveman.

      Communication shouldn't have to be such a struggle.

      I could just draw a stick-man
      and a stick-buffalo
      on a cave wall,

      but ...

      thirty-thousand years
      would have to pass
      for someone to take notice.

      why is it I would want to talk
      to you anyhow?

      What are you to me?

      you're not even real.

      You're just a figment
      on a wall
      in my mind-cave.

      I made you in my image
      like some voo-doo doll
      to do things to

      that I'm too afraid
      to do and feel myself.

      Why subject
      myself to the deep-end
      when I can just project onto you
      everything I fear?

      Seems shallow

      standing in water
      while looking out into
      an ocean that can reach out
      and grasp the horizon...

      what it's elusive secret?

      composes my flesh
      my evolution
      my womb experience...

      I feel pulled like the tide
      dragged by the fullness of moons
      toward the depths
      to drown myself.

         ...and there's nothing to lose

      I'm just a salt-doll
      shaking off it’s hex.

       read more salt doll stories collected at:

      SUNDER   from Advaitin

      For the discourses of Kanchi Paramacharya on Sound,
      Creation, and Mantra Yoga, please visit:

      from Spiritual Friends
      Compassion in Action
      Ram Dass

      from:  http://www.ramdass.org/index1.html

      When we look at the vast sadness and suffering in the world, we often experience
      intense pain in our hearts. The suffering so often seems cruel, unnecessary, and
      unjustified ~ reflecting a heartless universe. The human greed and fear that are
      causing much of the suffering seem out of control. But when our hearts open in
      the midst of this, we want to help. This is the experience of compassion.

      Compassion is the tender opening of our hearts to pain and suffering. When
      compassion arises in us, we see and acknowledge what we often push away ~ the
      parts of life that cause us sadness, anger or outrage. The powerful awakening of
      our own compassion can tune us not just to the nurturing and sustaining forces
      of the world, but to the oppressive and destructive ones as well. When we open
      to these directly and become familiar with them, instead of avoiding them as we
      often do, we are more likely to hear ways to respond with love and support to
      relieve the suffering. When the pain is our own, we want to end it. If we can't
      do this by ourselves, we long for help. When it is not our cry, but someone
      else's, compassion allows us to feel it as our own, to feel the same longing, to
      hear our hearts calling us to help.

      The Dalai Lama has said, "Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries.
      Without them, humanity cannot survive. With them, we can make a joint effort to
      solve the problems of the whole of humankind."

      Compassion is the basis of all truthful relationships: it means being present
      with love ~ for ourselves and for all life, including animals, fish, birds, and
      trees. Compassion is bringing our deepest truth into our actions, no matter how
      much the world seems to resist, because that is ultimately what we have to give
      this world and one another.

      Allspirit Website: http://www.allspirit.co.uk
      from Million Paths
      More about the Heart

      For me any place and time is good for meditation.
      Grace has so overwhelmed me that I ride the crest of the wind
        and travel to the nth place.
      But where is the nth place in our wide world?
      That is right in our Heart.
      If we simply withdraw our attention from the external world
        and turn to the Heart
      we shall find ourselves diving deep into the river
         of peace and bliss.

      -- Bhakta Bhagwat,  In Search of Self

      The timeless is in the now.
      It is in the heart centre.
      The head belongs to time.

      You can never experience the timeless in the head.
      The heart is the timeless.
      It is only at this point that there is presence.

      --Jean Klein, Transmission of the Flame

      Let your love flow outward through the universe,
      To its height, its depth, its broad extent,
      A limitless love, without hatred or enmity.

      Then as you stand or walk,
      Sit or lie down,
      As long as you are awake,
      Strive for this with a one-pointed love;
      Your life will bring heaven to earth.

      from Sutta Nipata
      Buddha's Discourse on Good Will

      The heart has always been represented
      as the source of human kindness,
      the wellspring of warmth and tender care.
      It is the cup that holds
      the nectar of compassion.

      The heart is also
      the most sacred place of worship
      from which devotion flows like honey.
      All virtues make their home
      in the infinite space
      shining in the depths of the heart.

      The heart should be meditated upon as the resting-place.
      For all beings find rest in the heart.
      The heart is God.

      -Brihadaaranyaka Upanishad

      "The True Sanctuary is nowhere but