Thursday, August 1, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2002

      The Dock of the Bay
      http://www.carmensgallery.com/ artists/artists.htm

      #1153  -  Thursday, August 1, 2002  -  Editor: Jerry  -  Home: <http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm>

      from Petros-Truth

      "He who is the high and the low, the saint and the
      sinner, the god and the worm, Him worship; the visible,
      the knowable, the real, the omnipresent; break all other
      idols. In whom there is neither past life nor future
      birth, nor death nor going nor coming, in whom we always
      have been and always will be one, Him worship; break
      all other idols."

      -- Swami Vivekananda

      The universe is so vast and complex that if we needed
      books like this to become enlightened, we'd never make
      it. But on the other hand the universe is so simple in
      design that there's no reason for anyone to be puzzled
      or unhappy. It's easy to control your existence, no
      matter how complicated it looks. I've abandoned the idea
      of writing this a number of times, on the ground that
      people didn't know it because they didn't want to. But
      in the end there is no more reason for not writing it
      than there is for writing it.

      <http://freespace.virgin.net/sarah.peter.nelson/lazyman/lazyman.html>

      VIORICA WEISSMAN

      Have compassionate love for others but keep it secret;
      do not make a display of it or talk about it. If your
      desires  are fulfilled , do not be elated , and if you
      are frustrated  do not be dissapointed. The elation may
      be deceptive ;  it should be checked , for initial joy
      may end in final  grief. After all , whatever happens ,
      you remain  unaffected , just as you are.

      from Conscious Immortality
      Conversations with Sri Ramana Maharshi

      DAVID AND STEPHEN ON THE MOVIES
      from NDS

      DAVID: Most major motion pictures completely suck
      because so much money is invested into the project that
      in order to recover the gigantic return required to
      cover the gigantic input invested...

      the movie must appeal to gigantic *quantities*.

      STEPHEN: Well, there's also Chariots of Fire, one of the
      best movies ever, and Titanic - an extended meditation
      on the human predicament - whatever else it may also be
      in the way of romance and tragedy. Both brought enormous
      returns. I think people rise - or sink - to the level of
      whatever is set before them. A kind of satsang, if you
      will.

      DAVID: That's the mainstream folks...

      Bland, uninspiring and incredibly numerous...

      STEPHEN And of course neither you nor I nor our readers
      are in that category ;-)

      DAVID: what if the world agreed to be 'deprived' of such
      mediocre crap and instead with these otherwise impotent
      resources,

      we fed a few million or so of our starving and sick
      brothers and sisters?

      STEPHEN: When I was a kid and didn't want to eat my
      turnip greens or lentils I was urged to remember the
      starving millions in India. Kinda funny... it's a bit of
      an irony if one considers "Bollywood", i.e. the massive
      India motion picture industry. What is Bollywood's
      impact on the starving millions, I wonder.

      Come to think of it, I've had similar conversations
      regarding the art and architecture of Europe's
      cathedrals vis-a-vis the squalor and poverty of the
      surrounding populace. Would the populace have been
      better off without them back then? Would the world today
      be better off without them? I don't think any of the
      iconoclasts from Akhnatan to Leo to Cromwell did much to
      feed anybody.

      DAVID: Am I completely nuts? (or what)

      STEPHEN: Aren't we all?

      Love, Steve (mainstream dude writing amidst the bland,
      uninspiring and incredibly numerous cornfields of
      southern Iowa)

      SITTING ON THE DOCK OF THE BAY

      from K-list

      Sitting on the dock of the bay
      Watching the tide roll away
      I'm just sitting on the dock of the bay
      Wasting time

      Look like nothing's gonna change
      Everything still remains the same
      I can't do what ten people tell me to do
      So I guess I'll remain the same

      <http://www.duchessathome.com/music/dockofthebay.html>

      NINA
      from NDS

      ...on flower children.

      "Since Phish is quitting for a while, what will become
      of the band's gypsy fans, many of whom first  followed
      the Grateful Dead?" — Newsweek

      http://modernhumorist.com/mh/0101/phish/

      Maybe they would make good spiritual aspirants... well,
      except for  that aspirant part. Maybe 'spiritual
      respirant' would be more  appropriate...

      MIA
      from Daily Dharma list

      PATIENCE

      "One of the Buddha's monks, Purma, wanted to teach
      meditation to the Western Suner, a wild and dangerous
      people. The Buddha thought such an idea was overzealous,
      but tested Purma.

      'But, Purma, these are violent, cruel, and furious
      people. When they get angry and curse you, what will you
      think?'

      'I shall think they are basically kind and good although
      they address me with insults. And at least they don't
      beat me or stone me.'

      'But suppose they do beat you and hit you with stones,
      what will you think?'

      'I shall think they are kind and good since at least
      they are not using clubs and swords.'

      'But suppose they do attack you with clubs and swords.'

      'I shall still think they are kind and good for
      delivering me from this unfortunate body.'

      'Oh, very well, very well, Purma. With such perfect and
      saintly patience as all that you may certainly go and
      live among these violent people. Go, Purma-who knows,
      you may be able to deliver some and show them the way to
      freedom.'" ~Majjhima Nikaya

      From the book, "The Pocket Buddha Reader,"
      ed. by Anne Bancroft, published by Shambhala.