Monday, July 29, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2002

      #1150  -  Monday, July 29, 2002  -  Editor: Jerry
      Home: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      from NDS

      The shaktipetted hibiscus flowers in my garden last for
      almost a week...

      At sunset, a flower folds its petals as if to say  "
      honey shop closed for the rest of the day",

      to open up again when bathing in the rays of the morning

      The magic isn't less because of that...

      Screenwriter of Jacob's Ladder
      from the documentary on the Jacob's Ladder DVD

      "Jacob's Ladder", Oil 50" x 60", Painted 1999, Private Collection
       ©Copyright 2001 - 2002 Scott Switzer All Rights Reserved
      <http:// scottswitzer.com/Picture_Pages/ Jacobs_Ladder.htm>

      This movie is about the dissolution of a man who is
      dying. And in that, ... the whole of existence is at
      play  in his mind and you are watching one story.

      ...what happens in that journey is the mind goes
      thorugh this extraordinary kind of dissolution and
      attempt at discovery of what is going on.

      And I really believe that in this death process there is
      enormous need at the final moment of one's existence to
      know what it was, what your life was, what it meant,
      how  did it come to its conclusion... .

      Jacobs Ladder began as a dream, and in the dream I was
      on a subway in New York City, and I was travelling
      rather rapidly through the bowels of New York, and the
      train  comes into a station and I get off and I go to
      the exit  and the exit is chained closed. The ultimate
      trap of  that dream is that there was no way out. The
      only way out was through it and that I had to go down
      into the  darkeness of my own existence in order to find
      a way to  some kind of freedom and liberation. The great
      adventures of all time take you into the underworld,
      into  the unseen, into the place you can't go. When
      you're in  the dark what you see is not outside you, it's
      inside  you, and that the images that start to arise
      within you are from somewhere deep within your own

      The movie is really a movie of Jacob holding on. it's
      Jacob holding onto what he remembers, holding onto his
      guilts, holding onto his pleasures, his desires.
      Everything that makes us hold onto life and everyday
      experience, holding onto your breath, holding onto your
      identity, to your sense of self: these are the things
      that keep us here. And as that starts to be taken away
      from him, and as it's unravelled and he's watching the
      unravelling of that, what he experiences is the end of
      his being. And that end is something you can fight, or
      you can finally say 'yes' to, and because it is so
      inevitable in his case, as it will ultimately be in
      every one of our cases, we all have to, at some moment,
      learn that the release from the struggle is the letting

      from the screenplay: "If you're frightened of dying and
      you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life
      away. But if you've made your peace, the devils are
      really angels freeing you from the earth. It's just  a
      matter of how you look at it, that's all."

      It is everyman's journey that we all go through, this
      extraordinary process of dissolution in which we are
      compelled to hold onto everything dear to us. We're
      compelled to hold onto our children, we're compelled to
      hold onto to those we love, we feel guilt about the
      things we didn't do, we feel the pull of this dark force
      coming at us and we don't want to go to it. There's
      great denial in our struggle, in our death struggle, in
      our movement out of our bodies, out of our familiarity,
      out of our breath, out of our mind, out of our
      personality. It's a hard leap to make.

      Director Adrian Lynes:

      "I've had a lot of people write to me about the film. I
      had somebody with an AIDS society saying can I use
      imagery from within the film because they thought that
      the film had helped friends of theirs during the dying
      process and that's immensely rewarding I think, if
      that's the case, because I hope that the movie helps you
      deal with that in some little way."

      from The Other Syntax list

      The Power Of Remembering

      "The purpose of recapitulation is to break basic
      assumptions we have accepted throughout our lives,"
      Clara explained patiently. "Unless they are broken, we
      can't prevent the power of remembering from clouding our

      "What exactly do you mean by the power of remembering,

      "The world is a huge screen of memories; if certain
      assumptions are broken," she said, "the power of
      remembering is not only held in check, but even canceled

      Taisha Abelar
      'The Sorcerers' Crossing' (chapter 7)

      from NDS

      To seek to escape suffering by escaping suffering, is to
      suffer the effort of escape... and that is worse than
      what is being fled.

      To build a sequence of refuges... and to find each one
      broached... only to flee to the next creation... defines
      the very wheel of life and death, and infinite
      incarnations into the world of suffering...

      In a nondual universe, there is no place to hide, and no
      modifying circumstances.

      A wonderful depiction of the wheel of birth and death.

      Incarnation being the implementation of strategy, of the
      "I-it" scenario, molded by thought, into always shifting
      environments -- escape and the seeking of refuge, an
      ongoing motif.

      The taking form in a womb the attempt to gain  refuge
      through embodiment, and birth into suffering the
      necessary result.

      Action required by the impetus to gain and to avoid,
      situations changing as the results of previous actions
      bear fruit in various ways.

      Death always the consequence of birth, and rebirth
      always the implementation of whatever strategy is
      "brought forward" into "now."

      And thus, liberation is always only "now" alone, as it
      is, with nothing brought into it.

      Conditioning being the bringing into "this" of "the
      past" -- unnessarily fogging the clarity of now with a
      lens designed to serve a "me."

      The "me" being the activity of condItioning.

      The awareness which you mentioned, which situates itself
      "in" or "through" an organism, not actually requiring
      any situatedness in order to be -- but only in order to
      "have" and needing to "have a place" in order to have.

      And liberation always being only now, only already the
      case. The end of the cycle always being now.
      Postponement of the end is the definition of the
      continuity of the cycle. Postponement being an imaginary
      situation, the basis of the cycle is in illusion and

      from Dzogchen list

      Search as one will,
      what is to be found
      other than what
      has been
      all along?
      What drives
      this clinging hunger
      to discover
      the source,
      easier perhaps to

      from Harsha Satsangh

      Ramana Maharshi responds to questions:

      Q: Does my realisation help others?

      A: Yes, certainly. It is the best help possible. But
      there are no others to be helped. For the realised being
      sees only the Self, just like a  goldsmith estimating
      the gold in various items of jewelry sees only gold.
      When you identify yourself with the body then only the
      forms and shapes are there. But when you transcend your
      body the others disappear along with your

      Q: Is it so with plants, trees, etc.?

      A: Do they exist at all apart from the Self? Find it
      out. You think that you see them. The thought is
      projected out from the Self. Find out from where it
      rises. Thoughts will cease to rise and the Self alone
      will remain.

      Q: I understand theoretically. But they are still there.

      A: Yes. It is like a cinema show. There is the light on
      the screen and the shadows fleeting across it impress
      the audience as the enactment of some piece. If in the
      same play an audience also is shown on the screen as
      part of the performance, the seer and the seen will then
      both be on the screen. Apply it to yourself. You are the
      screen, the Self has created the ego, the ego has its
      accretions of thoughts, which are displayed as the
      world, the trees and the plants of which you are asking.
      In reality, all these are nothing but the Self. If you
      see the Self, the same will be found to be all,
      everywhere and always. Nothing but the Self exists.