Wednesday, July 24, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2002

      Papadam

      #1145  -  Wednesday, July 24, 2002  -  Home: <http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm>

      JERRY

      While I spoke of donuts, Ramana spoke of papadam and wrote
      the Papadam Song, being translated on the I AM list by
      Shankar.

      Here's a passage:

      In the endless vessel that will be the Symbol of the
      Supreme Silence, in 'That' ghee of the ParaBrahman (the
      Supreme Self), welling up from within by the Fire of
      Gnosis, born of and kept up by Self-Enquiry, frying
      everyday as 'I am That', the Self becoming the self by
      the Self emerging from within following upon the ego
      merging into It, for eating,

      try rolling the Black Gram Flour into 'Self-stuffed'
      Papadam ,frying and then  serving the Papadam, and -
      eating that Papadam, exhaust  your desire for the things
      of the world.

      (Translation of the Papadam Song by Sri Bhagawan,
      Completed thus by His Grace)

      GENE POOLE

      In reply, the spirit of the Donut sings...

      My ancestor Papadam
      Bubbling in divine ghee

      How far we have come
      Will you be glazed like me?

      Our roots embedded
      In the same divine hunger

      You made each one by hand
      I by mechanical plunger

      I march by legion to feed
      The millions in their need

      Boiled in a humble pot
      Or by mechanistic production

      Our mission is to show to all
      There can be no reduction

      The nature basic man and beast
      Will yield to our yummy feast

      Eaten by sage or gulped by sinner
      We delight as either snack or dinner

      The hole in my center gives joyous birth
      To squads of cops of increasing girth

      The seeker is guided to a path well tried
      You are done... only when you are fried...

      JOHN METZGER

      In reply, the spirit of the Donut sings...

      The seeker is guided to a path well tried You are
      done... only when you are fried...

      <http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~samth/donut.gif>

      AL LARUS

       In this bakery I see
       Experts on the baking ovens
       how grain must be grounded
       which herbs and wine should be added
       for the baking to begin

       So I asked myself
       Where are the bakers,
       preparing dough,
       reaching for the frying pan.

       I glanced through the room,
       and now I know,
       they are not talking.

       They are the silent ones.
       Being aware
       The mill won't move an inch
       before the work has begun.

      R.K. SHANKAR
      from the I AM list

      Summary of the Key Points of the Papadam Song by
      Bhagawan Sri Ramana Maharshi

      1  We should not wander in the world longing for its
         things.

      2  The 5 sheaths are the physical, vital, mental,
         intellectual and blissful sheaths respectively.
         These 5 sheaths are not the Self. But, in these 5
         sheaths grows an identification 'I am this.'

      3  We must enquire into this identification by raising
         the inward wisdom query 'Who am I?'.  That will break
         and crush our identification with these 5 sheaths as
         'I am not'.

      4  We must constantly be in divine congregation,
         wherever we live and wherever we are.

      5  We must develop the attitude of being equal to all
         events.  And, we must be steadfast in our
         self-restraint.

      6  We must be indifferent to all enjoyment of this and
         also all other worlds like heaven.  (Not the Kingdom
         of Heaven of the Holy Bible)

      7  We must also be indifferent to all scripturally
         enjoined ceremonial acts.  Because, none of these can
         assist us in any way in our apprehending our Real
         Self.

      8  We must constantly mix our existing good impression
         with equanimity of mind and indifference by resorting
         constantly to divine congregations.

      9  The attitude of being equal to all events is
         equanimity. Then, all agitations born of impressions
         will subside.  And, that calmness of mind we must
         develop.

      10 . Our weariness must continually cease.  And, we must
         always abide with enduring happiness.

      11 We must incessantly and unwaveringly pound our mind
         by inwardly muttering 'I-I'.  This we must do with
         equanimity, calmness, lack of weariness and
         happiness.

      12 Fire of Wisdom will then begin to burn inside us.
         And, that fire will burn up the dross of our ego.

      13 Then, in the place of ego, there will arise the Self.
         And, the constant agitations of the ego will then be
         replaced by the Supreme endless Silence of the Self.

      14 Now, we must constantly maintain the attitude 'I am
         That'. Thus, the ego will permanently be dissolved in
         the Self.

      15 And then, even our ordinary life awareness  will be
         stuffed with the awareness of the Self.

      16 And thus, all our worldly desires will be exhausted.

      17 This is the substance of the Silent Communication of
         Lord Siva as Dakshinamurthi to His 4 disciples,  who
         were mind-born sons of Brahma, the Hindu God of
         Creation.

      18 And, Lord Siva is the Existence-Knowledge-Bliss, that
         is the Supreme Self.

      19 And, no language of words is equal to this One
         Supreme language of Silence.

      20 Lord Siva teaches this Supreme Silence. And, Satguru
         Sri Ramana ever abided in this Silence. We must also
         abide in the Supreme Silence of the Self

      Yours in Sri Bhagawan
      RK Shankar

      NINA

      UNIFIED MEMORY OF NOTHING

      http://www.thislife.org

      Give the People What They Want
      July 12, 2002
      Episode 216

      Check out the prologue and Act One.
      Ira reported that the women at the residence for
      Alzheimer's folks  got into the wedding more than the
      men. They all seemed to enjoy it,  though. One caregiver
      mentioned that it is rare and remarkable to see  all of
      the folks focused on the same thing at once. No matter
      that  the entire wedding was a fake, it seems that few,
      if any, of the  folks remembered that piece of things.
      For these folks, reality is  what is right now, it
      seems.

      Two women, passing a pair of glasses back and forth,
      neither of them  able to say whom the glasses belonged
      to, spoke to Ira about the  wedding. One of them told
      Ira that she had known the bride for a very  long time,
      told stories about this bride that could not possibly
      have  happened. They were stories of some other bride,
      but this didn't  matter. The woman was animated,
      bright-eyed, chatting, clearly buying  her story
      entirely.

      Fake events, more than just weddings, are planned
      regularly at this  residence. Perhaps these events keep
      rapidly fading old memories  fresh, familiar
      circumstances reinforcing the existance of similar  past
      circumstances, no matter that they all run together
      into, for  instance, The Unified Memory of Wedding.

      What if Alzheimer's isn't about forgetting? What if it
      is about  losing the smooth coating that conceals the
      fact of constant  conflation of past, present, and
      future events?

      With the smooth coating gone, it becomes perfectly clear
      and  acceptable that this bride's wedding is my old
      friend's daughter's  wedding is my wedding.

      And whose memories are these, anyway? Has anyone checked
      them for  ownership? Could it be that memories are
      exchanged as freely as those  unclaimable glasses?

      There is this piece about 'health' and 'social
      activity'. It seems  there is a push to keep these folks
      engaged in recreating,  reinstating, reinforcing
      memories with each other (whether they  are 'real
      memories' or not) in order to keep them 'online'.

      What events are chosen? Why are these events, and not
      others, say,  the staged enlightenment <g>, chosen? What
      blind eye is running this  show?

      What is Alzheimer's? Why is it so disorienting to speak
      with a person  who is Alzheimer's-engaged? What is the
      root of the devastation that  comes from caring for an
      Alzheimer's-engaged person?

      It is a voice, coming from the devastated ones, crying
      'remember me!'  Losing your grandmother is losing your
      self.

      What if...

      ...Alzheimer's presented an opportunity, not an
      impediment?

      What if...

      ...we celebrated the onset of Alzheimer's?

      What if...

      ...we trained the Alzheimer's-engaged the same way we
      train apsirants?

      To be unafraid of becoming noone... to find joy in it.

      GEORGE
      from The Other Syntax list

      Don Juan had always maintained that the only deterrent
      to our despair  was the awareness of our death, the key
      to the sorcerer's scheme of  things. His idea was that
      the awareness of our death was the only  thing that
      could give us the strength to withstand the duress and
      pain of our lives and our fears of the unknown.

      The Art of Dreaming
      THE SECOND RING OF POWER
      Carlos Castaneda

      JAN BARENDRECHT