Monday, July 22, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23 2:23 PM

      Bottles
      <www.jb.man.ac.uk/~caj/ gallery.html>

      At some point it is seen that all inquiries
      are containers with nothing in them. If the damn
      things were refundable, we'd all be rich.
      --Jerry

      #1143  -  Monday, July 22, 2002  -  Editor: Jerry  -  Home: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      BUTSZ
      from Live Journal

      "...Things move. It is an ultimate pragmatism in the
      midst of Infinity, a demanding consciousness where you
      come at last into the unbroken awareness that the
      universe moves of itself, that it changes, that its
      rules change, that nothing remains permanent or absolute
      throughout all such movement, that mechanical
      explanations for anything can work only within precise
      confinements and, once the walls are broken down, the
      old explanations shatter and dissolve, blown away by new
      movements. The things you see in this trance are
      sobering, often shattering. They demand your utmost
      effort to remain whole and, even so, you emerge from
      that state profoundly changed."

      -The Stolen Journals (of God Emperor Leto), in "God
      Emperor of Dune"

      VIORICA WEISSMAN

      It is God who yawns and sneezes
      and coughs , and now laughs.

      Look , it's God doing ablutions!
      God deciding to fast , God going naked
      from one New Year's Eve to the next.

      Will you ever understand
      how near God is
      to you ?

      Lalla,
      Naked Song,
      tr: Coleman Barks

      CHAKRALILA
      from Yearning list

      Divine Pride

      One day, someone asked Rumi...

      "We see that certain ancient sages were extremely proud
      --what does such  pride mean ?"

      He replied,

      "In people of God, pride is a pride of divine greatness,
      and not a pride of opinions or passion, nor a presumption
      that arises from high spiritual rank.
      When the Imam Dja'far Cadiq,
      who purified his soul and paid no attention
      to caliphs and kings, was asked
      about this pride, he replied,
      "I, myself am not proud.  I have abandoned
      my own existence, the greatness of God has annihilated me
      and installed itself in place of my pride;
      the pride I am speaking of springs
      directly out of the heart of the greatness of God;
      as for me, in the middle of all its glory,
      I do not exist."

      Aflaki

      SELF ENQUIRY PRACTICE  David Godman

      Beginners in self-enquiry were advised by Sri Ramana to
      put their attention on the inner feeling of 'I' and to
      hold that feeling as long as possible. They would be
      told that if their attention was distracted by other
      thoughts they should revert to awareness of the
      'I'-thought whenever they became aware that their
      attention  had wandered. He suggested various aids to
      assist this process - one could ask oneself 'Who am I?'
      [ of course Dr. H's 'beef' with Ramana Maharshi is that
      Dr. H would say 'WHAT am I, not 'Who'] or 'Where does
      this I come from?' - but the ultimate aim was to be
      continuously aware of the 'I' which assumes that it is
      responsible for all the activities of the body and the
      mind. In the early stages of practice attention to the
      feeling 'I' is a mental activity which takes the form of
      a thought or a perception.

      As the practice develops, the thought 'I' gives way to a
      subjectively experienced feeling of 'I', and when this
      feeling ceases to connect and identify with thoughts
      and objects, it completely vanishes. What remains is an
      experience of being in  which the sense of individuality
      has temporarily ceased to operate. The experience may be
      intermittent at first but with repeated practice it
      becomes easier and easier to reach and maintain. When
      self-enquiry reaches this level  there is an effortless
      awareness of being in which individual effort is no
      longer  possible since the 'I' who makes the effort has
      temporarily ceased to exist.

      It is not Self-realisation since the 'I'-thought
      periodically reasserts itself but it is the highest
      level of practice. Repeated experience of this state of
      being weakens and destroys the vasanas - mental
      tendencies - which cause the ''I'-thought to rise, and,
      when their hold has been sufficiently weakened, the
      power of the Self  destroys the residual tendencies so
      completely that the 'I'-thought never rises  again. This
      is the final and irreversible state of Self-realisation.

      This practice of Self-attention or awareness of the
      'I'-thought is a gentle technique,  which bypasses the
      usual repressive methods of controlling the mind. It is
      not an exercise in concentration, nor does it aim at
      suppressing thoughts; it merely invokes awareness of the
      source from which the mind springs. The method and goal
      of self-enquiry is to abide in the source of the mind
      and to be aware of what one really is by withdrawing
      attention and interest from what one is not. In the
      early stages effort in the form of transferring
      attention from the thoughts to the thinker is essential,
      but once awareness of the 'I'-feeling has been firmly
      established, further effort is counter-productive. From
      then on it is more a process of being than doing, of
      effortless being rather than an effort to be.

      Being what one already is is effortless since beingness
      is always present and  always experienced. On the other
      hand, pretending to be what one is not - i.e. the body
      and the mind - requires continuous mental effort even
      though the effort is nearly always at a subconscious
      level. It therefore follows that in the higher stages of
      self-enquiry effort takes attention away from the
      experience of being while the cessation of mental effort
      reveals it. Ultimately, the Self is not discovered as a
      result of doing anything, but only by being.

      As Sri Ramana Maharshi himself once remarked:

      Do not meditate - be! Do not think that you are - be!
      Don't think about being - you are!

      Self-enquiry should not be regarded as a meditation
      practice that takes place at certain hours and in
      certain positions; it should continue throughout one's
      waking hours, irrespective of what one is doing. Sri
      Ramana saw no conflict between working and self-enquiry
      and he maintained that with a little practice it could
      be done under any circumstances.

      He did sometimes say that regular periods of formal
      practice were good for beginners, but he never advocated
      long periods of sitting meditation and he always showed
      his disapproval when any of his devotees expressed a
      desire to give up their mundane activities in favour of
      a meditative life.

      INTRODUCING KATIE DAVIS

      The spontaneous awakening occurred in 1986. The next 16
      years were spent in gaining an intellectual
      understanding of what had occurred, deepening and
      integrating. I am in the lineage of Ramana Maharshi,
      Papaji and Gangaji, however the last 5 years of
      integration moving from the exclusion of everything to
      the full embodiment of inclusion was with Eckhart Tolle
      author of Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual
      Enlightenment who lives near Seattle and is my dear
      friend. I am grateful for his continual access.

      Eckhart's website does link to mine. His is
      <http://www.eckharttolle.com>. If you go to "Local
      Groups"  "Kirkland" you will find the link. This is how
      the  exposure began. I am meeting with Eckhart on
      Thursday  for revisions to his site which will present a
      different type of exposure. My site is
      <http://www.katiedavis.org> if you would like to check
      it out.

      I  never decided to start teaching. Two years ago,
      someone  asked me to help them. Now, Satsang and Living
      the Joy  is offered twice monthly as well as another
      group, The  Power of Now Group, which also meets twice
      monthly. It  started as simply a video satsang group
      with a friend  and now is a beautiful time of sitting in
      Silence,  teaching, questions and video. I offer private
      sittings  in person in the Seattle area, but also
      throughout the  country by phone as well as giving
      online support. My  first tour begins this fall with
      invitations to Taos,  New Mexico, Tucson, Arizona and
      Hollywood, Florida.  Everything that is being offered is
      without charge and  without donation. And of course,
      blessed by Eckhart.

      If  you are able to reach Gangaji, she did give
      confirmation in Hawaii in either 1998 or 1999.
      Blessings for your work, Jerry. This information might
      be a good resource for many, if you choose. After the
      awakening, I found no one as a teacher (blessing) until
      1992 which was Gangaji. I lived through the drowning,
      without drowning, but there was always the feeling if I
      ever realized that I was already on the "new" shore, I
      would be there for whoever asked. Apparently, that
      asking has begun. There are only a little over 200
      people that I am supporting, but really it only
      starting gaining momentum in May of this year. Amazing
      really. I have testimonials from people who have been in
      my groups or with whom I have worked privately. If you
      need to contact me: katie@... or (425)
      821-3423.

      In Joy,
      Katie Davis