Sunday, July 21, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2002

      Your Grandest Expression Awaits You,  For it All Lies in
      Who You Paint Yourself to Be.
      http://www.counseloroftheheart.com/teachings.htm

      Highlights Issue 1142, Sunday, July 21, 2002

      Editor: Christiana (with Jerry) -- for Gloria who has hurt her back.. heal soon, dear friend

      DANIEL

      There's a film now showing in NYC which I just saw and
      can highly recommend to those interested in such
      matters. An unusually sensitive, moving, engaging, and
      profound 1 hour and 45 minute documentary on the
      Ayurvedic healing tradition of India, it is titled
      "Ayurveda: Art of Being". A five star gem, for sure!
      Perhaps it will appear in some other cities as well.

      All the best,
      Daniel

      GEORGE
      the_other_syntax@yahoogroups.com

      Magnificent Act

      "The mood of a warrior is not so far-fetched for yours
      or  anybody's world. You need it in order to cut through
      all the guff." I explained my way of reasoning. The lion
      and my fellow men were  not on a par, because I knew the
      intimate quirks of men while I knew  nothing about the
      lion. What offended me about my fellow men was  that
      they acted maliciously and knowingly. "I know, I know,"
      don Juan said patiently.  "To achieve the mood of a
      warrior is not a simple matter. It is a  revolution. To
      regard the lion and the water rats and our fellow men
      as equals is a magnificent act of the warrior's spirit.
      It takes  power to do that."

      The Mood of a Warrior
      JOURNEY TO IXTLAN
      Carlos Castaneda

      Wim Borsboom
      ZenPearl@yahoogroups.com

      The original question was does the enlightened being
      experience pain?

      --------- An enlightened being does experience pain but
      does not  suffer from it, nor is s/he fearful of it. An
      enlightened being does  experience pleasure but does get
      enjoyment from it, nor is s/he  desiring it.

      Of course all this depends on one's definition of the
      words  pleasure and pain, suffering and enjoyment.

      For my purposes here, I categorize pain and pleasure as
      purely  physical sensations that can physically befall
      ANY human being.

      Suffering and enjoyment as well as fear and desire I see
      as  mentalized feelings (as distinct from physical
      sensations)  brought about by the dys-functional mental
      processing of pain  and pleasure. This occurs only in
      human beings who have been  made to see life as
      conditional and/or to be manipulated.

      The mind performs a different function in the
      enlightened being  as compared to the workings of the
      mind in the  "not-yet-enlightened".

      By the way, I subscribe to the notion that every human
      being who  has not yet done so, is in the process of
      re-covering or  re-cognizing their innate enlightenment.

      In the enlightened being the mind plays a serving role,
      in the  not-yet-enlightened being, the mind is the
      controlling agent.

      The controlling mental processing in the
      not-yet-enlightened  human plays a heavy hand in the
      conditional manoeuvring that  takes place in a world
      that is seen by him/her as "to be  manipulated".

      The serving mind in the enlightened one registers sense
      input as  data or "givens", that are simply playful
      ingredients, allowing one  to participate in human life
      as play... divine Lila.

      Dustin LindenSmith
      nondualparent@yahoogroups.com

      Reading Nisargadatta and applying it to Zoë (his infant
      daughter)

      From pages 376-377 in I Am That, I noted the following
      two  exchanges with interest. The first deals with how
      easy it is to get  caught up in words and concepts; the
      second expands on this  with the aphorism, 'everything
      is as it is,' in Nisargadatta's clear  way.

      Questioner: I have not understood well the role of the
      inner self in  spiritual endeavour. Who makes the
      effort? Is it the outer self, or  the inner?

      Nisargardatta: You have invented words like effort,
      inner, outer,  self, etc. and seek to impose them on
      reality. Things just happen  to be as they are, but we
      want to build them into a pattern, laid  down by the
      structure of our language. So strong is this habit,
      that we tend to deny reality to what cannot be
      verbalized. We just  refuse to see that words are mere
      symbols, related by  convention and habit to repeated
      experiences.

      (snip)

      Q: The words of the Guru, when merely heard, have little
      power.  One must have faith to obey them. What creates
      such faith?

      N: When time comes, faith comes. Everything comes in
      time.  The Guru is always ready to share, but there are
      no takers.

      Q: Yes, Sri Ramana Maharshi used to say: Gurus there are
      many, but where are the disciples?

      N: Well, in the course of time everything happens. All
      will come  through, not a single soul shall be lost.

      I find the last passage especially helpful when thinking
      about  dealing effectively with Z's belly pain. She has
      been really sore  lately, apparently due to an allergy
      both to cow's milk protein and  to soy milk protein, and
      she is prone to painful, loud crying fits  that can last
      for an hour or more.

      As I enter one of these episodes with her, I consciously
      try to  relax my breathing, hold her very gently, and
      make soft, if any,  noises. When she builds her
      intensity, I may do the same, trying  to find an
      opposing frequency to her crying that cancels it out.
      But no matter what I've done, I've noticed that as soon
      as I start  thinking that she's sick or that something
      is wrong with her, it  spontaneously creates tension and
      negative energy in me, which  I surely must pass along
      to her.

      Just last night, I noticed a slight change in the way I
      was looking  at her when she was having a fit. I thought
      to myself, "She's fine --  this is her normal -- this is
      her reality at the moment -- there's  nothing I can say
      or do to reverse what's happening, so I have to  just go
      with it, ride the wave with her, give her as much
      support  as I can, and hold on to her without judgement.
      No judgement; I  don't think that she should be any way
      other than how she is at  this moment."

      Believing that, I've had some really fun times with her
      in the past  24 hours. We both seem to be doing a bit
      better with it now.

      Colette
      ZenPearl@yahoogroups.com

      Clarification of the Personality by A.H. Almaas

      from Diamond Heart, Book IV

      "Many spiritual teachers describe their experience of
      realization  as if they suddenly became realized and the
      personality just  died, or fell away. So it is
      understandable that you might  fantasize that one day
      you will finish your meditation and there  will be no
      personality left. This idea of enlightenment or
      self-realization is misguided, although it is true that
      you can  experience sudden revelations or insights that
      can change the  rest of your life. My perception of what
      happens with people who  claim to have lost their
      personality totally and spontaneously is  that there
      often remains a split-off or suppressed part which will
      manifest as a distortion or a lack of integration. This
      means that  there has been an essential realization, but
      the realization has  not clarified the personality. It
      is, rather, a state of transcendence  of the ego
      personality. If the personality is abandoned rather than
      integrated, the totality of life cannot be lived.

      Transcendence and Embodiment

      We can look at the process of realization from the
      perspective of  transcendence or from the perspective of
      embodiment. When  people talk about getting rid of the
      ego, they're talking about a  transcendent experience.
      It is possible to transcend the  personality or the ego,
      or even physical existence. However,  there is a more
      difficult process which leads to the state of
      embodiment of reality. Rather than simply transcending
      the  personality or physical existence, this state
      involves actually  embodying essential existence in
      one's life."

      More here ..

      http://www.ridhwan.org/clarpers.html

      linda
      drhawkinsgroup@yahoogroups.com

      I also benefited greatly by this conference call. I'm
      normally not a note-taker  but I did my best to take
      notes during this call. I am so grateful for David
      Hawkins  continued generosity to share himself with us
      like he does.

      Notes From 7/20/2002 Conference Call with Dr. Hawkins

      Response to question regarding whether it was useful to
      practice compassion, or if having an attitude of
      compassion lent  credence to the fact that something was
      wrong:

      ~ Compassion is good and useful – it a combination of
      love and  intelligence – you see something for what it
      is and understand  that it comes from ignorance and lack
      of power to do better.

      Pseudo-compassion – pretending spiritual – that is
      acting as  though we can love and trust everything –
      that’s not useful.

      Question regarding setting boundaries:

      ~The value of setting boundaries has to do with the
      energy of the  intention behind setting the boundaries –
      it is good to set  boundaries if this is coming from
      love and not just  authoritarianism. If the parent
      explains for example that the child  may not play
      certain video games because they are harmful to  the
      child, then the child will accept the boundaries as
      evidence of  love.

      Question regarding the evolution of duality and
      nonduality:

      ~Duality comes out of language.

      Nonduality – witnessing happeningness without ascribing
      a  causing element

      Causality is the basic illusion from which duality
      arises

      Over (600?) one sees that everything is happening
      spontaneously as expressions of its own nature.

      This is like a particle having a certain charge under
      the influence  of local conditions and the entire
      universe.

      Buddha’s teaching that everything can be attributed to
      an  endless chain of causality calibrates at 996; but
      David sees  everything happening as described above. (I
      think he said this  explanation calibrates at 998, but
      the scribe isn’t clear about  that.)

      Conditions may allow for the expression, but still it is
      the  essence that is being expressed.

      Karmic charge (or pattern) is the prevailing condition
      on the level  of consciousness and if the conditions in
      the world are present,  then the maniffestation can
      come.

      For example, the video game is programming the
      unconscious  (like hypnosis); then conditions can allow
      this program to run  (such as drug use). (The flowering
      of the potentiality.)

      But you trace everything back to its source, and that
      source is  God.

      Under certain condditions potentiality can be expressed.

      ~Question asking David to define God:

      God is the subjective reality that shone forth – the
      allness of  God—all existence springs out of that which
      is manifest. God is  the universe.

      ~Question about allness vs. nothingness (existence vs.
      nonexistence):

      The process of negation leads one to the void –
      nothingness –  beyond form. This is a subjective state
      of consciousness—a  belief system of the ego, but not
      true. If the void is nothingness,  then nothing could
      experience—realizing this jumps one back  out of the
      void to allness, which is full of love.

      David experienced the void and saw that it was empty of
      love—because he had experienced the state of love, he
      had a  knowingness in the void that something was
      missing.

      Allness is the presence of God as innate to all
      existence.

      (The way there – not sure of the context of this
      statement??) is in  every moment to let go of wanting to
      change anything.

      However, if you negate love (release love as an
      attachment),  then you wind up in the void. It is not
      love that needs to be  released, but the attachment to
      love.

      The pathway of the heart does not take on to the void.

      The pathway of the heart is the unconditional love of
      everything  and everyone, including oneself.

      One way to do that is through forgivness, which can be
      done by  surrendering how you are seeing something to
      God.

      All negative emotions have a payoff—surrender the payoff
      out of  love for God – love God more than one’s own
      thinkingness. This  is letting go of positionality—an
      act of devotion.

      or near  the void a number of times and experiences it
      as terror, and  wanted to know what to do when facing
      that terror:

      When in the void, surrender the fear of nonexistence to
      God in  order to transcend it—that will take you to the
      exquisite state that  is always present.

      To people on the spiritual path, the bliss state,
      infinite presence,  comes and goes—when it goes it means
      that the next barrier  has come up that needs to be
      transcended

      Most people who cross over 600 stay there.

      In the high 500s, where you experience bliss and the
      presence of  God, it can come and go.

      ~Question regarding what is the “I” that goes through
      all these  lifetimes:

      It is (like?) an energy pattern. (I didn’t get the rest
      of this—maybe  someone else could fill this in.)

      This world is like a purgatorial domain where one can
      experience the heights and depths.

      He quoted Buddha, who said that it is extremely rare to
      have the  opportunity to be born a human—that in this
      domain free will is  innate.

      For 99% of the population to reach unconditional love is
      the  ultimate goal. The high 500’s is a beaitific state
      – from there you  can go to heaven and continue to
      evolve—heavenly realms are  (may be?) a more suitable
      place to evolve to the higher levels  than on earth.

      It is risky to go to the higher states of consciousness
      in this  dimension.

      0.4% get to 540.

      The Course in Miracles will take you to 600 – it takes
      you to the  place where you realize that everything is
      happening on its own  and the world is full of
      lovingness.

      Surrendering my desire to think to God – attitudes,
      realizations.

      For example, if you realize that you hate hatred, then
      become  willing to surrender your hatred of hatred.

      Willingness to let go of any negativity that arises in
      your mind as  it arises.

      To accept hatred, you’d have to see it differently –
      know that it  comes out of ignorance and innocence. See
      it for what it  is—understand that people can only be
      what they are at the  moment; if they are run by hate
      they can’t help it.

      Intention is what brings us higher.

      Spiritual work is a way of life where everything that
      happens is a  new opportunity. Sometimes things go well
      for awhile, then  another layer comes up. (from
      different spiritual bodies)

      For example, David came upon a layer that was his
      spiritual  warrior—it was a part of the super-ego—it
      comes out of the  collective unconscious--it is
      intolerant of defects in oneself. He  had to deal with
      it by compassion.

      Everything is grist for the mill.

      Dan Berkow
      NondualitySalon@yahoogroups.com

      Authenticity demands authenticity,
      won't be satisfied with an
      image of the real.

      Particularly a "spiritual image,"
      which is often an attempt which
      is made when other images are
      found to be unsatisfying or impermanent.

      Which means one reads between the lines,
      as all we are given here are word images,
      often spiritual images.

      One is dying to the image of self, and
      authenticity is what is left.

      John Metzger
      NondualitySalon@yahoogroups.com

      A WORD ON STATISTICS

      by Wislawa Szymborska
      (translated from the Polish by Joanna Trzeciak)

      Out of every hundred people,
      those who always know better:
      fifty-two.

      Unsure of every step:
      almost all the rest.

      Ready to help,
      if it doesn't take long:
      forty-nine.

      Always good,
      because they cannot be otherwise:
      four -- well, maybe five.

      Able to admire without envy:
      eighteen.

      Led to error
      by youth (which passes):
      sixty, plus or minus.

      Those not to be messed with:
      four-and-forty.

      Living in constant fear
      of someone or something:
      seventy-seven.

      Capable of happiness:
      twenty-some-odd at most.

      Harmless alone,
      turning savage in crowds:
      more than half, for sure.

      Cruel
      when forced by circumstances:
      it's better not to know,
      not even approximately.

      Wise in hindsight:
      not many more
      than wise in foresight.

      Getting nothing out of life except things:
      thirty
      (though I would like to be wrong).

      Balled up in pain
      and without a flashlight in the dark: