Saturday, July 20, 2002

  • Christiana Duranczyk
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2002
       Nondual Highlights #1141          Saturday, July 20 2002

      Editor: Christiana

      Sarlo on the feminine in Jehovah  NondualitySalon@yahoogroups.com

      Witches find it interesting that the name Jehovah is formed by
      the four Hebrew letters Yod-He-Vau-He. The first, Yod, means 'I,'
      the next three, He-Vau-He, mean both 'life' and 'woman' The
      Latin version of these three letters is E-V-E. In other words, the
      name Jehovah is feminine and it means 'I am woman, I am life.'
      Today a popular chant among witches is based on these ancient
      letters: 'IO! Evohe!'

      viorica weissman submitted to MillionPaths@...

       Chuang Tzu-The mind of the perfect man

      The mind of the perfect man is like a mirror.
      It does not move with things , nor does it anticipate them.
      It responds to things , but does not retain them.
      Therefore , he is able to deal successfully with things,
      but is not affected.

      Gary Merrill and Jerry Katz   NondualitySalon@yahoogroups.com

      Gary proposes: Can we start a rating system for the seekers? They can be rated according to how long they've been on the way, all the teachers they've known, what they've done and said, how much they know, and how enlightened they've become.

      Wait a minute that sounds like the gurus!

      Jerry offers: Take a board. Place a variety of pebbles at one end. Take
       the end of the board where the pebbles are, and tilt it up a little.

      Some pebbles role to the bottom, other role off the side, others move slightly, some don't move at all, and all the pebbles that move have their own path.

      Rate each pebble according to its pebbleness, on a scale of one to five.

      It's pebbleness has nothing to do with the test that was applied.

      That's what's being done, not only when a person is rated, but when a person rates or judges what's going on with himself. You look at things as they are, which is simply as they are, not at their comparative behavior on a slanted board.

      Looking at things as they are is love and ahimsa.

      perfect on a slanted board, Jerry

      Pebbles on a guitar head: meditation and music

      Michael Read    meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com

      Meditation and music have a lot in common.

      I have owned a guitar for decades, more than thirty years in fact.
      However, only in the last two years have I even began to learn
      how to play one. This protracted delay parallels my meditation
      practice and spiritual growth.

      Both process had high and low moments. But, as with most
      people, the real and immediate needs of family, career, you
      know, life took precedence over guitar and meditation practice.

      The first time I had a guitar in my hands I tried to play something
      complicated. Silly, isn't it? But watch people who don't know how
      to play a guitar yet want to so much. They all try to play
      something complicated, flub it all up, get a wee bit frustrated,
      sigh, and put the instrument down or hand it back with a shy grin.

      I found the book "First Guide to Guitar" and learned some simple
      tunes from it. The first lesson in the book wasn't a song. No, it
      was on timing. Without timing music is just noise. The lesson
      was simple. Hold down a C chord and strum 1234/1234/1234
      etc. Make each strum the same duration as every other strum.
      No, it doesn't make a very melodic tune. However, just try to do it
      for 2 minutes. Phew! Harder than it sounds. Now, do it for 5
      minutes.

      My first experience with meditation involved a technique that
      used a 4 count. At that time I was a kid of twenty two years and
      though I didn't know it at the time; on the verge of my great
      spiritual adventure. But, that's another story.

      I was living in a house with from seven to twelve people, it varied.
      This was 1971 and the times were definitely a'changing. I was
      fresh out of the service and footloose.

      One day I picked up a book somebody had left lying about. I
      opened it up in the middle and started reading. The passage
      described a breath meditation technique. It said to focus
      attention on the breath and to breathe in four stages. They were
      inhale, pause, exhale, pause - repeat for some time.

      Since this was my first experience with meditation I had no
      expectations. Here is what happened. After the first few
      attempts, my attention went completely on the breath and the
      paced rhythm felt very natural. Then I was filled to overflowing
      with a state of peaceful joy. It was a living natural thing.

      Of course, I was still me - still couldn't play the guitar! And, I still
      had all the bags and baggage of my life. No one escapes that.
      Fantastic highs and devastating lows occurred as my life
      proceeded. Ah, wisdom for the pain. And no regrets for a life
      lived with passion.

      During the next twenty some odd years I would pick up the guitar
      and go through a few short bouts of practice from time to time. I
      also joined a cult, got married, fathered two girls, left the cult,
      hauled scrap metal, learned computers, had a business or two,
      got divorced, raised my daughters, made lots of money, spent it
      all, and so on.

      Through all this I was a seeker after God. About three years ago I
      had the same experience with meditation that occurred at the
      age of 22. Although the experience of peace and joy out of mind
      was the same as the first time, when there was no
      understanding, the last time ended the seeking.

      Now, I am still me and there is still baggage, still life. But, I
      practice the guitar with joyous abandon.

      no doer no doer anywhere but the doing does get done

      what a miracle what passion!

      Dan Berkow on no independent existence consciousnessIsAll@yahoogroups.com

      The observation that nothing exists independently, no concept
      has an independent meaning, no image reflects an external or
      internal reality, is essential.

      If we assume an independent existence to anything, we have
      allowed a self-contradiction to be the basis of knowing and
      being.

      The tendency to assume independent existence, however, is
      imbedded in language, thought, memory, causal explanations,
      and social organization.

      So, we end up questioning all of these things.

      The point being this: If I know myself to be who I am, without any
      unreal divisions implied by independently existing things, beings,
      states, or qualities, then whatever is said won't fool me. And I
      won't be looking to gain something from what is said. Gain and
      loss being implied in one another. Further, I won't be looking for
      what I say to be validated, nor accepted, as acceptance and
      rejection are seen the same.

      If, however, I assume an independent existence, I will be
      experiencing a world with autonomous beings, preferable states,
      desirable qualities and experiences, something to get to,
      exclusive groups, and special knowledges.

      So, it all depends on from whence I come.

      All else follows.

      The first step is the final step.

      Prior to any step is the ending of all steps.

      Sandeep on no distinction  Meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com

      A "negativity" is a perception of the perceiver, reflecting the
      perceiver's beingness, in the moment. That beingness, in which
      exists, a distinction between "postivity" and "negativity".

      That is to be expected as the one who seeks a Guru, seeks
      something, no matter what he or she calls it.

      And thus the seeking is the very consequence of the existing
      sense of distinction between "positive" and "negative".

      As I said that's expected, natural.

      But in the one, in which all distinctions have ended, there is no
      existing concept of "positive" or "negative" behaviour, either
      through "oneself", or through an "other".

      To the one in which all distinctions have ended, there is no
      "disrespectful" question, or an "underserving" seeker.

      There is no expectation of a "behaviour" at all.

      When beauty is recognized as beautiful, there is already
      ugliness;

      When goodness is recognized as good, there is already evil.

      "To be" and "not to be" arise mutually;

      They said to Him: Shall we then, being children, enter the
      Kingdom?

      Jesus said: When you make the two one, and when you make
      the inner as the outer and the outer as the inner and the above
      as the below, and when you make the male ad the female into a
      single one then you shall enter the Kingdom."

      Distinctions are there because of your trained eyes.

      Distinction is a learned thing.

      Distinction is projected by you.

      Nature itself does not seem to know - or care - about the
      man-made opposites or about this world of opposites.

      Nature seems perfectly satisfied and happy to produce a world
      of infinite, rapturous variety; that knows nothing about anything
      pretty or ugly, ethical or unethical.

      As Thoreau has said, nature never apologizes, never sees the
      need of it..."

      -----------------

      Sandeep on gurus

      A Guru does not bring light.

      A Guru is a burning.

      In that flame, in that milieu of burning, a leap of the flame from
      one wick to another, may or may not take place.

      In a "Guru", there is none to care whether it does or does not.

      Since there is none to care, a "Guru" is truly compassion.

      Let the Gurus play. Let the bystanders throw stones or flowers, at
      the play.

      If for the Guru, the stone is a "stone", or the flower is a "flower",
      the Guru is no Guru.

      The narrower the circle of my self-identification, the more acute
      the suffering caused by desire and fear.

      -- Nisargadatta Maharaj

      Allow your identity to shift from the particular to the Universal, and
      then watch the restlessness of the mind subside.

      -- Metta Zetty