Wednesday, July 17, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2002
      #1138    Wednesday    July 17, 2002    Edited by Jerry    Home: http://nonduality.com/hlhome

      R.K. SHANKAR
      from the I AM list

      A Brief Introduction to the Life of Adi Shankaracharya

      0  Adi Shankaracharya was a jnani. He became a monk when
         He was only 7 years old. His Guru was Sage Govinda.
         Of course, the Guru was a jnani Himself  Shankara
         attained Self-Realisation around the age of 16.

      1  The Guru commanded Shankara to reestablish Vedic
         religion in the whole of India. He argued with many
         scholars, defeated them and made them His disciples.
         He established Advaita Vedanta for the first time.

      2  He wrote commentaries on Bhagavad Gita, Upanishads
         and Brahma Sutra  He also wrote some original
         Sanskrit Texts like Atma Bodha, and a few others.

      A Brief Narration of the Way Sri Bhagawan happened to
      render Sanskrit Atma Bodha into Tamil

      1  There was a Muslim Tamil Scholar who knew Sanskrit a
         little.  This Muslim Scholar had rendered the
         Sanskrit Atma Bodha into Tamil. One day, the 2 books
         containing these Tamil renditions arrived by post.
         One devotee by name MSR, handed over these 2 books to
         Sri Bhagawan alongwith the daily post.

      2  Sri Bhagawan as usual read all the posts that arrived
         on the day.  Then, He started repeatedly perusing
         these 2 books of the Muslim scholar. At that time,
         Sri Bhagawan seemed to be doing so, prompted by some
         inner urge. Then, Sri Bhagawan handed over those 2
         books to be kept in the Library.

      4  Then, He asked a devotee by name VR to bring the
         original Sanskrit text 'Atma Bodha'  He then started
         repeatedly browsing through the Sanskrit Text.

      5  Then, He spontaneously rendered the first 2 Atma
         Bodha Sanskrit verses into 2 Tamil 'Venpas'  (a Type
         of Tamil Verse containing 4 lines, like say, sonnet
         in English containing 14 lines)  and recorded them in
         a paper.

      6  KS, a devotee, was watching this and asked Sri
         Bhagawan,  "It looks as if Sri Bhagawan is repeatedly
         perusing some book. Which book is that?"  Sri
         Bhagawan then showed His first two '4-line Tamil
         renditions' of Atma Bodha.

      7  Seeing them, KS said, "It will be good, if in the
         same way, the balance (66) verses are also written."
         Sri Bhagawan then replied, "Right, right. Why all
         this?" Sri Bhagawan said so because usually He never
         took any initiative to do anything.  His Nature was
         always to be silent even physically.

      8  But, something must have been prompting Him from

      2  days later, He rendered the next few Atma Bodha
         Sanskrit verses into Tamil verses and showed them to

      9  He said to VR, "If I keep quiet thinking why I should
         write, this does not seem to leave me.  One after the
         other these come and stand (rise from within) before
         Me (my mind). What do I do?"

      10 After writing a few more verses, He said to VR,
         "Hereafter, this will not leave me! Bring a notebook
         for me to record these Tamil renditions!"  Thus
         saying, He showed even the Introductory Verse to VR.

      11 Within very few days, Sri Bhagawan completed
         rendering  all the 68 Sanskrit Atma Bodha verses into
         68 Tamil 4-line verses.

      12 Then, He looked at the people there and said,  "40
         years ago, a small notebook containing some Malayalam
         (a South-Indian language) writings reached here.  In
         that notebook, these Sanskrit Atma Bodha verses were
         there. Then, no thought arose (in Me) to render them
         into Tamil."

      13 One devotee then replied, "For everything, should not
         the (right) time come?"  For that Sri Bhagawan said,
         "Yes, Yes!  Now when I write one 4-line verse,
         another 4-line verse appears (before my mind).

      14 He further said, "It also looks as if I had read this
         Atma Bodha earlier.  Has anyone written this Atma
         Bodha as 4-line Tamil verses before?"

      15 "No one has written these as 4-line Tamil verses
         until now", said Sri Muruganar. (Sri Muruganar was a
         Tamil Teacher in a school, and a great poet in Tamil,
         and of course, a great devotee of Sri Bhagawan) And
         continuing, he further said,  "What surprise is there
         in these verses appearing one after another before
         Sri Bhagawan?  This is only similar to the way the
         Vedas appear at the beginning of each cycle of
         creation before the mind of Brahma (the God of

      16 It is the Hindu belief that creation occurs through
         the God of Creation, namely, Brahma.  And, Brahma
         creates the world as per the Vedas. And, these Vedas
         appear automatically before Him at the beginning of
         each cycle of creation, to enable Him to create the
         world according to the Regulations of the Vedas.

      17 For that Sri Bhagawan said smiling, "That is right!
         But, I hope no one comes to fight with me, saying
         that he only composed these Tamil 4-line verses." Sri
         Bhagawan said thus, because in India it is usual for
         people to fight even on false grounds,  on account of
         jealousy or for getting the fame that some Divine
         verses were first composed by them

      18 Very few books were written by Sri Bhagawan of His
         own volition.  Most of them were written by some
         persistent inner prompting.  But unfortunately, the
         incidents of how He was prompted from within,  have
         been recorded only in the case of a few books of Sri

      Parental problem solved ?! I don't know.

      Hello Everyone ....

      A couple of days ago I had the pleasant surprize to
      discover that there is a Sivananda Center in Jerusalem;
      so , glad to discover my like-minded neighbours , I
      called at the specified number to ask for information.

      'Hello !" , I said to the child who answered the phone ;
      but , oh, a little dissapointed that perhaps the single
      phone number that I found was wrong.

      "I think ...I called the wrong number ?..."

      I don't remember exactly what the child said as I was
      sure the number was wrong.

      Then I called the Sivananda Center in Tel Aviv to ask
      them their Jerusalem number. I received the same number
      that I have already had.

      "... Are you sure this is the right number ?! I tried
      it and I talked with a child ", I asked.

      "You talked with a child ? And what did he say ? Are
      you sure the number was wrong ? Have you listened to the
      child ?"

      "....?? I don't remember ..."

      "You should have listened to the child. God is a child
      also. You could call again and listen to the child.
      Maybe the number was not the wrong one. "

      " So. So . So this is what I do. What am I doing ?! ", I
      thought to myself.

      "I AM is God " , "You are awareness. Awareness is
      another name for you. " (Ramana Maharshi)

      And ? What do you think I am doing ?

      I don't listen to a child , this is what I am doing. I
      post Ramana's teachings for about one year and a half
      almost daily and I have to call somebody in Tel Aviv to
      hear that God is also a child and I don't listen to a

      Bringing my thoughts to my children ....I suddenly
      understood that I looked on them as children . But God
      is there too ! Do I listen to him ?

      Parental problem solved ?! I don't know.

      Hi Gang,

      This a commencement speech that someone sent me. I'm
      posting it because I like it and I agree with it. (It's
      sweet and I think that's a good thing.) I don't have
      much to add to it, and I don't need any responses
      unless you want to respond.

      Love, Mark

      Commencement speech made by Pulitzer Prize-winning
      author Anna Quindlen at Villanova University:

      I'm a  novelist. My work is human nature. Real life is
      all I  know. Don't ever confuse the two, your life and
      your  work.You will walk out of here this afternoon with
      only  one thing that no one else has. There will be
      hundreds  of people out there with your same degree;
      there will  be thousands of people doing what you want
      to do for a  living. But you will be the only person
      alive who has  sole custody of your life.Your particular
      life. Your  entire life. Not just your life at a desk,
      or your life  on a bus, or in a car, or at the computer.
      Not just the  life of your mind, but the life of your
      heart. Not just  your bank account, but your soul.People
      don't talk  about the soul very much anymore. It's so
      much easier  to write a resume than to craft a spirit.
      But a resume  is a cold comfort on a winter night, or
      when you're sad,  or broke, or lonely, or when you've
      gotten back the  test results and they're not so
      good.Here is my resume:  I am a good mother to three
      children. I have tried  never to let my profession stand
      in the way of being a  good parent. I no longer consider
      myself the center of  the universe. I show up. I listen.
      I try to laugh. I am  a good friend to my husband. I
      have tried to make  marriage vows mean what they say. I
      am a good friend to  my friends, and they to me. Without
      them, there would  be nothing to say to you today,
      because I would be a  cardboard cutout. But I call them
      on the phone, and I  meet them for lunch. I would be
      rotten, or at best  mediocre at my job, if those other
      things were not  true. You cannot be really first rate
      at your work if  your work is all you are.So here's what
      I wanted to  tell you today: Get a life. A real life,
      not a manic  pursuit of the next promotion, the bigger
      paycheck, the  larger house.Do you think you'd care so
      very much about  those things if you blew an aneurysm
      one afternoon or  found a lump in your breast? Get a
      life in which you  notice the smell of salt water
      pushing itself on a  breeze over Seaside Heights, a life
      in which you stop  and watch how a red-tailed hawk
      circles over the water  or the way a baby scowls with
      concentration when she  tries to pick up a Cheerio with
      her thumb and first  finger. Get a life in which you are
      not alone. Find  people you love and who love you. And
      remember that  love is not leisure, it is work. Pick up
      the phone. Send  an e-mail. Write a letter.Get a life in
      which you are  generous. And realize that life is the
      best thing ever  and that you have no business taking it
      for granted.  Care so deeply about its goodness that you
      want to  spread it around. Take money you would have
      spent on  beers and give it to charity. Work in a soup
      kitchen.  Be a big brother or sister.All of you want to
      do well.  But if you do not do good too, then doing well
      will  never be enough.It is so easy to waste our lives,
      our  days, our hours, our minutes. It is so easy to take
      for  granted the color of our kids' eyes, the way the
      melody  in a symphony rises and falls and disappears and
      rises  again. It is so easy to exist instead of to live.
      I  learned to live many years ago. I learned to love the
      journey, not the destination. I learned that it is not
      a dress rehearsal and that today is the only guarantee
      you get. I learned to look at all the good in the world
      and try to give some of it back because I believed in
      it, completely and utterly. And I tried to do that, in
      part, by telling others what I had learned. By telling
      them this:Consider the lilies of the field. Look at the
      fuzz on a baby's ear. Read in the backyard with the sun
      on your face. Learn to be happy. And think of life as a
      terminal illness, because if you do, you will live it
      with joy and passion as it ought to be lived

      -- Anna Quindlen

      from Dr.Hawkinsgroup list

      Following are just a few of my notes from the lectures.
      Again, these are my words interpreting what Dr H said,
      however, some of them are quoted exactly. I will compile
      another set on some of the other topics (karma,
      suicide, etc) as time permits. Hope this is beneficial.
      The lecture was so wonderful, I just wanted to share a
      portion of it with all of you.

      With much love & affecton to you all,

      Julie Johnson

      Notes from Dr. Hawkins lecture, July 13, 2002, Sedona,

      Dr H is writing a book calibrating the great theologians
      & religious leaders. It is also about the nature of
      God. He asked that we do some group calibrations on 21
      questions regarding God and the universe. We numbered
      off 1, 2, 1, 2. We asked each other if we could work
      together. Dr H then began asking the questions. It was
      very intense, the energy that was generated with all of
      us calibrating at one time. We got very high-level
      results, with only 1 or 2 2-person teams getting
      negatives the entire time.

      Appreciation of Beauty Dr H spoke at length on the value
      of appreciating beauty in all its forms. Seeing the
      sacredness and having a reverence for beauty. The
      awareness of the beauty of God in all things. The great
      cathedrals calibrate at 700. Going into one of these can
      raise your level of consciousness, just by virtue of
      its beauty, and the sacrifice it took over decades to
      create it. This is one way into the 500's.

      Vegetarianism: At certain levels it is karmically wrong
      to eat meat, as it goes against your moral ideals. It
      has to do with your intentionality. However, at higher
      levels, you understand the purpose and mission of the
      animal, which is to serve God by surrendering its life.
      "For Thee, Oh Lord, I surrender my life to Thee." By
      surrendering its life, the animal engages in an act of
      worship, it reaches the potentiality of its own
      divinity. By eating the meat, we are ensuring its
      evolution and continued being. We are to thank the
      animal for surrendering its life. You are not killing
      the animal, as there is no such thing as death. It is
      leaving its body, and does not realize it has died. It
      just goes into another body. Over & over again, this is
      the animal soul act of worship. Animal Grace.

      Health: Your life duration is already determined. You
      have no reason to be concerned with it, as it is already
      set. You can, however, increase the longevity of your
      karmic lifetime through spirituality. Pesticides are not
      good for the body, but when compared with spiritual
      power, it really is nothing to be concerned with. Your
      spiritual power is much greater. Illness is cyclic. It
      comes and it goes. It has a karmic life that must wear

      If one could sit perfectly still, for about 30 minutes,
      one could readily see, just how itchy and twitchy the
      body ordinarily is. Having never done so, one could
      barely perceive it, let alone know it.

      The results of all this random movement, is a huge loss
      of energy, which again, is barely noticeable, except
      that by some point in the day - earlier or later - one
      simply feels more "tired" than one thinks one "should"
      feel, and now has a "complaint" to add to their bag of
      complaints they carry around from day to day.

      The same thing occurs in the mind. Having never really
      stilled the thoughts for any appreciable period of time,
      one scarcely realizes that what passes for "thinking",
      in them, is just the same itchy/twitchy behaviour that
      occurs in the body. But, because most people value and
      believe the words flowing through their brains - when
      they are actually flowing therein - they do not notice
      the random motion of mind to be tiresome, worthy of
      complaint, in the same way they do in the body. That is,
      as can be witnessed herein, on this or any list in a
      very demonstrable way, what "moves" someone to reply to
      a post (and 99% of all posts are >reactions< to other's
      posts), is the same "flow of energy" that results in
      bodily itches and twitches, but to the "replier", the
      itchey/twitchey behavior is much more "highly valued",
      and therefore not seen as something to better control.
      But, the results, at some point in the day - earlier or
      later - is the same as in the body. One simply feels
      more intellectually "tired" than one thinks one "should"
      feel, and now has another "complaint" to add to their
      bag of complaints they carry around from day to day.

      This situation only gets worse as one ages. One begins
      to notice more and more, just how tired they ARE -
      bodily, emotionally, mentally - but never realizes that
      a lifetime of random energy flows throughout the body,
      has resulted in this deplorable situation, and what's
      worse, simply racks it up to, inevitable "old-age".

      From one view, what's really going here, is that an
      almost constant, life-time of unrestrained energy
      out-flow - from all the centers of activity, body,
      emotions, intellect - without a corresponding, almost
      artificial self-mirroring, or self-observation, depletes
      one's energy reserves, to the usual dismay of the

      Someone asked: "What is there to talk about anyway?" One
      thing to talk about, is the easy-to-observe yet
      never-talked-about compulsion to TALK. And, further, why
      is it so difficult and almost painful to just "sit
      STILL" and "shut UP"? Maybe the better question is "Who
      is it that wants to talk?"

      Someone, belligerently replied: "Because Life is running
      this show, kids - believe it or don't!"

      Camus' Sisyphus:

      Another look at Sisyphus... a little deeper than the
      bare-bones version:

      Why Psychiatry Has Failed

      We can fly to the moon and tap genetic secrets, but
      human beings are as badly behaved and as miserable as
      ever. Is it because shrinks rely too much on words? By
      Peter Watson

      (very long link, may need reassembling)

      Can anyone assist?

      I think it goes:

      "A hairsbreadth of difference, and the universe is set
      at odds."

      Is this the Tao Te Ching?

      There are a couple of versions of this on
      http://www.spiritwalk.org/hsinhsinming.htm, from Seng t'san, different

      The Great Way is not difficult

      for those who have no preferences.

      When love and hate are both absent

      everything becomes clear and undisguised.

      Make the smallest distinction, however,

      and heaven and earth are set infinitely apart.

      The Ultimate Way is without difficulty; it's only averse
      to discrimination: Just do not hate or love, and it will
      be thoroughly clear. A hairsbreadth's miss is as the
      distance between sky and earth.

      "the Simpson's" is a Life-Humor-factory knockoff.

      I've learned more from the Simpson's than I ever learned
      from the 4thway, Advaita, or the Bible!