Friday, July 12, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13 3:15 PM
      #1133 - Friday, July 12, 2002 - Gloria Lee - Home:  http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      JOHN METZGER on NDS

      Topicality

      Zen
      Enter In Peace
      zen

      Daily Zen

      the sage

      Sixty-six times have these eyes
      beheld the changing scene of autumn.
      I have said enough about moonlight,
      Ask no more.
      Only listen to the voice of
      pines and cedars when no wind stirs.

      - Ryonen (1797-1863)

      Zen
      the sage

      Many times have these eyes
      beheld the changing seen of NDS.
      I have said enough about donuts,
      Ask no more.
      Only listen to the voice of
      maples and cantaloupes when no posts are posted.

           riverjohn (1952-    )
      Zen
      Zen
      Zen

      ALAN LARUS on NDS

      photo: surrender

      "how that which I am not came to be off topic"

      The meaning of the word love is
       quite clear when uttered by Hafiz
       for the rest of us
       the concept may not always
       be the same

       A philosophical view like inclusive or not
       would in this case be
       can we talk about everything
       or nothing.
       I guess we can.

       Not this, not this
       leads to the self
       where no thing is separate
       and here is to be found
       true nature of thing

       So rather than being of the persuasion
       it can take more than a lifetime
       get done with it
       truly cut off the last thing.

       Then what is any thing,
       no thing or every thing
       and this and that  identity.

      DAVID BOZZI on NDS & HS

      Sheep In Wolf's Clothing (Part II)

      Got the rules laid down on me again today
      like a fence
      don't know why,
        …was just being me.

      Everyone around me
      resisted the jaws of restraint
      to defend me.

      They weren't really defending me though.
      They were defending some personal
      sense of freedom
      they perceived was under assault,

      but not directly
      as capitalist sheep tend to do...

      It's funny how when people
      as a mass mob
      get edgy around profound times of transition,

         …like animals before a earthquake.

      As I sit and stare
      at my supposed defenders
      of peace,

      I wonder what they've really been affected by
      and what real danger that they might have sensed...

      Was it really just little old just me?

         ...or a greater indication
      of the sign of the times…?

      Personally,
      as an individual
      I'm much like a single sheep
      (granted, with sharp teeth)

      but when the entire heard
      gets excited,
      it can only mean one thing,

         …there's lion's around.

      They stalk us always,
      like the inevitable,

      never seen but always there…

      In a way, they are like God,
      despite being creators
      they often dress like Death.

      And despite knowing my fate
      as an individual
      is to always be ready
      for the final slaughter,

      I can't help but find it ironic
      that the very same Urge
      that urges us to run

      is the very same Urge that urges
      the lions to eat us…

      DUSTIN LINDENSMITH on NondualParent

      " How my baby has plugged me into the world"

      I just had a few precious minutes of quiet awareness time with my two-month-old
      daughter, Zoë, as we sat together looking out our window to the trees and the lake behind
      our house. So far, she's a morning person like me, and she loves to be awake early, just
      looking around quietly and happily, checking out the world around her.

      When I first started to develop an intellectual understanding of nonduality from reading
      Nisargadatta, Ramana, Jerry, and other great sages, I remember settling into a practice of
      negating the world, kind of. In trying to accept that I was never born and that I would never
      die, I would shun any evidence that anything was happening in my life. If I was having a
      bad day, I'd tell myself, "Look man, this isn't even really happening, so just ignore that
      stuff that's 'bugging' you and get on with the business of just BEING, okay?" Sometimes
      this kind of thinking would create a lot of conflict in me. Cognitive dissonance, I think it's
      called.

      Over the past couple of years, I've started to develop a more balanced approach to living in
      the world with a nondual understanding, as it were. However, I still remember thinking
      before Zoë was born that her birth and our lives afterwards would be no different. "It will just
      be another occurrence in a multitude of occurrences in my life," I thought to myself. "I'm
      sure it will be great, and fun, and fulfilling, and all that, but it won't substantially change
      who I am."

      Well, of course that's true, to a certain extent -- who I AM is changeless, immutable. But
      what I've noticed recently with Zoë -- especially as she nears the end of her 'fourth
      trimester' and is becoming more comfortable in the world -- is that having a baby DOES
      change your physical being quite radically. At least for me, it has made me focus instantly
      and clearly on the changeless, and on the deep connection that she and I and my wife
      share as human beings. Instead of negating the world and its experiences, I feel like I'm
      more fully plugged into it; especially now that I have this new responsibility to introduce
      the world to my new baby daughter.

      For the past six months, I've been wrestling with ways to reconcile my intellectual nondual
      understanding with how I live my life, and somehow, having a baby is helping me to do
      that. Nonduality expresses itself in my life today as equanimity, as clear awareness, and
      as objectivity regarding the world and its contents. Having Zoë here has started a beautiful
      fireworks display in the middle of that, and I'm loving every minute of it so far.

      ALAN LARUS on HarshaSatsangh

      photo: a piece of the north sea this evening

      How could I try to capture more than two
      Using them as a mere device
      Telling about a sun on the rise
      How lines of gold edge the shades
      In this realm where darkness fades

      How could I think I can’t get stung
      Still I won’t run, I’m on my knees
      They all surround me like a swarm of bees
      A dance of ecstasy where nectar drips
      A taste of honey‘s on my lips.

      How could I claim or keep just one
      Some jointly bound, some all alone
      They merge into a single tone
      Ringing in my ears, a golden bell
      Dispelling darkness to the depths of hell

      How could I live without your name
      When found
      It was just like any sound
      When exposed
      In every Word it was enclosed

      How could I earn the merit
      to know this truth
      Even for a day

      JERRY KATZ on NDS

       "Thank you Jerry. Now this is the old Jerry that I knew!
        A real Guru. Not only interested in donuts and gurus feet!"
      i'm glad this sounded guru-ish. It came straight out of The Celestine Prophesy for
      Dummies.

      Hey, the real guru can talk about anything and be anything. He doesn't have to be
      one way or the other. He might be traditional or might not. It's what happens
      around the Guru: a person becomes unwound. That's the basic idea of the Guru. When
      it's layered with lineage, experiences, levels, titles, history, language, then it
      becomes a web. Nothing wrong with it, one way or the other it will seem there is a
      construct to encounter when engaged by a Guru. It is the play of the Guru (of
      consciousness) to awaken your more subtle constructs, which are doorways, gateless
      gates, that is, not constructs at all.

      Jerry

      BOB & MAZIE on HarshaSatsangh

      "Making fun of Advaita" by  friend of Robert's

      THE ABIDING FORMULA - The injunction to answer all questions with "Don't go into your
      STORY, just abide in the SELF." Any question that can't be simply anwered with this
      formula is dismissed as intellectual mind stuff or mere involvement in one's personal story
      (MAYA). Everything is very simple, and it you don't think so, you are just caught up in the
      mind!

      THE SILENCE COMPETITION - Contest to see who can stay silent longer than the other.
      The person who speaks first still has a personal story they are caught up in, and are
      therefore no longer abiding in the Self.

      THE VULCAN COMPLEX - The importance of keeping your voice tone very soft and even.
      Never show emotion or passion. Whoever shows a trace of care or concern for anything is
      still attached and caught up in more personal Story.

      THE PAPAJI PEDESTAL - It is admitted that all beings are in reality the Self, and not their
      personal identity. On the level of the Self, we are all the same and all equal. The Self is
      not thought to have any unique qualities differing from one person to the other. The
      particular body and personality of the individual is considered incidental. Paradoxically, the
      bodymind individual of Papaji is very special and worthy of great admiration and devotion
      (but just don't call it devotion). As George Orwell said, "We are all equal, but some are
      more equal than others".

      RED LIGHT GREEN LIGHT - This is the contradiction of advising that we don't need to
      have a teacher and we don't need to come to Satsang. All we need is to stop everything
      and just remain in Silence and Abide in the Self. There is nothing to "get" at Satsang. At
      the same time one is encouraged to support the teacher and the Satsang.

      DISSAPPEARING PERSONALITY TRICK - Now you see it, now you don't. This is the
      amazing ability of the Advaitan to have their personality absorbed in the Self at any
      convenient moment. When this occurrs, they remain aloof and impersonal. Don't invite
      them to dinner when this is occurring. And definately don't ask them anything personal.
      "Who is hungry?".

      ~~~~
      These can apply at times to both the teachers and students of the Papaji lineage of
      Advaita. All of this is to be taken with a grain of salt. It is just enjoyable to make fun of
      things. You could say that there is a dark side to everything, including the formal
      Enlightenment paths. Show me the person who doesn't have a shadow, and I will show
      you a person who doesn't stand in the sun very often.