Friday, July 5, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2002
       #1125  -  Friday, July 5, 2002  -  Editor: Jerry  -  Home: <http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm>

      Bob Rose medit8ionsociety@...

      The Hardest Meditation Technique

      In our classes, one of the only "homework assignments"
      we directly give is to try to abstain from expressing
      negativity for either 2 hours on one day, or for a
      whole day, or for 2 weeks, or for a lifetime. Everyone
      (except the truly saintly) who does this reports that
      they have learned a tremendous amount about their
      habitual negative responses to life. This is a great
      opportunity to stop "going there". One warning - be
      gentle and forgiving to yourself when you see how
      negative you are. No being negative about being
      negative! This technique will also kick up your
      self-control. As you refrain from saying negative
      things with words or body language, you start seeing
      that you really need not get upset/negative about
      things. You will also automatically gain greater
      dispassion and discrimination. These are the basic
      building blocks for having a meditative basis for your
      life. Perhaps most importantly, it is your inner Witness
       that will be aware of your physical, emotional, and
      mental actions and reactions, and being at one with the
      Witness is Being at One with your Real Self. When you
      remain at One with your Witness, you will never again
      squander a moment in negativity, and you will live
      happily ever after. Of This, I am positive!

      Jan Sultan SufiMystic@... "I am Not" not "I am"

      http://www.geocities.com/brianperkins77/

      AN ACCOUNT OF "REALISATION OF EMPTINESS" By Dr Ann
      Faraday

      'I fell asleep one night in October 1985 and woke next
      morning without a self' All my thoughts, hopes and fears
       about the future have changed radically since I fell
      asleep one night in October 1985 and woke next morning
      without a self. I don't know what happened to it, but
      it never returned.

      This should have been an occasion for some regret, since
       I quite liked myself - a self born long ago when I
      first discovered that other people didn't automatically
      share my private inner space and couldn't intrude upon
      it without my permission. Since then I'd worked hard on
      myself to make it a good one, mainly by praying to God
      to remove the bad thoughts and feelings surrounding it.
      I soon came to think in terms of my Higher self and
      lower self - and hoped that God would always love me
      and forgive me so long as I at least aspired towards
      the Higher and abjured the lower. The Higher Self, I
      decided, was probably my soul which would eventually
      unite with God and live happily ever after.

      So it came as somewhat of a surprise in later life to
      learn that the Soul is not to be sought in the heavens
      but in the depths of the psyche, especially in the
      lower or shadow part which I'd tried to disown. Through
      psychotherapy and dream-work, I discovered that far from
       diminishing myself, all those buried fears, guilts and
      weaknesses brought a welcome softness and subtlety to
      life. In fact they led me on to even deeper archetypal
      encounters which expanded the boundaries of self in to
      the greater collective psyche of humankind. What had
      begun as a journey of purification had become one of
      completion or individuation, and I looked forward to
      attaining what Jung called Wholeness, the Self or God
      before too long; all I needed, or so I thought, were
      just a few finishing touches. 'All those buried fears,
      guilts and weaknesses brought a welcome softness and
      subtlety to life'

      In the meantime, in true Human Potential fashion, I was
      furthering all this growth by 'taking care of' and
      'looking after' whichever self I happened to be into at
      the time. I no longer berated myself for making mistakes
       and was usually able to say "no" without feeling
      guilty. All things considered, including many years of
      meditation practice, I rated myself at around 3.5 on
      the Transpersonal Ladder of Enlightenment.

      It was at this point in my imagined psycho-spiritual
      development that I lost myself. To compound the irony,
      before going to sleep that night in October 1985, I'd
      actually done a 'self-remembering' exercise for
      precisely the opposite purpose - to centre my energies
      in such a firm and clear sense of self that it would
      continue into the dreaming process instead of getting
      lost in it, thereby giving me a lucid dream in which I
      was aware of dreaming. I went off dutifully repeating
      the words "I am, I am, I am, ...", and was more than a
      little astonished to awaken some hours later, laughing
      because the pundits had got it wrong: the truth was much
       more like "I am not." I was emerging from a state of
      consciousness without any I or self at all, a state
      that can only be described as pure consciousness. I
      can't even say I experienced it, because there was no
      experiencer and nothing to experience.

      And far from being a matter of regret, this loss of self
       came as a distinct relief. In fact when bits and pieces
       of my old identity - hopes, fears, goals, memories,
      spiritual aspirations and all the rest - began to
      recollect as I awoke, I tried to fight them off, in much
       the same way, perhaps, as the reluctant survivors of
      Near-Death Experiences resist the return to life's
      little boxes. But unlike those survivors, I brought back
       no blissful sense of divine presence or of a mission to
       accomplish, nor even intimations of immortality - just
      a total inner and outer Empty-ness which has remained
      ever since.

      This may not sound like a happy state of affairs to a
      psychotherapist, who would probably see in it evidence
      of a mid-life crisis or incipient psychosis. But it is
      far more interesting than that. I experience this
      Empty-ness as a boundless arena in which life
      continually manifests and plays, rising and falling,
      constantly changing, always changing and therefore ever
      new. Sometimes I feel I could sit forever, knowing
      myself as not only a fluid manifestation of life within
      the arena, but also as the Empty-ness which holds it.
      If this is psychosis, everyone should have one, and the
      world would be a far more serene place for it.

      After all this, I see no special significance in the
      approach of a new millennium, but as a psychologist, my
      hopes are something like this: - I would challenge the
      ancient creed that developing a strong self-sense is
      essential in rearing children with adequate strength for
       living. Surely it is possible to encourage them to find
       a fluid identity within the constantly-changing play of
       life, not seeking permanence of any kind, particularly
      that of self. Perhaps we could even teach them to see
      and enjoy themselves as unique 'nonentities', instead
      of separate hidebound selves obsessed with survival.

      - In psychotherapy, I would hope for a radically new
      approach to those who suffer from inner emptiness.
      Instead of working towards filling that void with new
      purpose, direction and meaning, I would aim to assist
      sufferers to go even deeper into Empty-ness and
      discover its true nature. I would actively discourage
      all ideas of inner-journeying towards wholeness or
      paths to enlightenment. These serve merely to postpone
      happiness here and now, and they build up the
      self-illusion.

      - In the spiritual domain, I would fire all gurus and
      transpersonal psychologists who use stage-by-stage
      models of self-development ( explaining experiences
      like mine as fifth level transient nirvikalpa samadhi -
      or whatever). And I would like to see the term Self with
       a capital S: Self-actualisation, Self-realisation,
      Self-transcendence - expunged from psychological and
      spiritual literature, reserving the word strictly for
      the empirical self of everyday life. It is the whole
      obfuscating concept of self which needs to be
      transcended, for in my experience there has never
      really been any self to transform, actualise, realise
      or transcend.

      Adapted extracts from an article entitled 'Towards a
      No-Self Psychology' in the Australian magazine,
      Consciousness (June '93).

      Tykal Yearning@...

      Open Sun

      sun opens the book of day.
      night sneaks a flashlight under the covers
      so the child can still read the magic
      written in the weavings of its fibers,
      its hand bloodred against the light,
      flushed of darkness save a few deep veins
      that will not be stripped of their secret
      no matter how bright the shine
      that envelops them

      Kheyala NondualitySalon@... Adventures at Rasa
      Ranch #6

      The Angel and the Grouch

      I was awful today. I mean, really a big grouch. At one
      point I snapped at something really insignificant and
      Ananda said, "Mommy, did you have a bad thought?" I
      didn't answer. I was too grumpy. Then she came over and
      said, "What is it? Tell me your thought." I told her to
      leave me alone. She went over to her dad and I heard
      her say, "I am going to help Mommy because she is sad."
      I called out to her that I didn't need her help because
      I was fine. Then I made myself scarce.

      I wasn't gone for very long but when I came back Ananda
      was sitting there in tears. "Why did you fool me? Why
      did you tell me you were fine? I know you weren't
      fine." I sat down beside her, put my hand on her back
      and said, "You are right. I didn't fool you, did I?"
      She shook her head and said no. She asked me again
      about what my bad thought was but I just shrugged and
      admitted that I couldn't find it. Then I started to
      cry. She said, "It's okay, Mommy. I will hold you."

      She wrapped her arms around my neck and squeezed her
      whole little body against me like she really meant it,
      with everything she had. Then she put the softest,
      plumpest hands on my face and kissed it in a couple of
      spots with a sweetness that I can't even begin to
      describe. My tears of sadness had shifted into tears of
      wonder and she noticed that right away, saying, "Is that
       what you needed, Mommy?" So I sniffed and chuckled a
      little, wiped the remaining tear away and said, "I
      guess that was exactly what I needed!" Then she jumped
      up and declared that she was going to go play....and
      then she was gone.

      NINA NondualitySalon@...

      It is interesting to note what people (myself included)
      take as the essence of any passage.

      I think back on the college admission tests where one is
       asked to select the main point of a reading selection.
      As there were never more than 5 multiple choice answers
      to select from, the task was fairly simple. Two to
      three of the answers would invariably be illogical and
      the remaining answers a matter of fine point. So,
      essentially, for any writing, there would be two main
      points to choose from. That is so easy.

      Now, though, the answers are infinite and utterly
      illogical, befitting the infinitely illogical
      lifestories we write.

      When reading Kheyala's writings, I wonder: what is
      tugging at her heart, asking to be formed such that it
      may be shared?

      Upon reading these writings, does one respond based on
      what one may grok of Kheyala's heart tugger, or based
      on that invariably different tugger of one's own heart?

      Nina

      KRISTI SHELLONER

      Yesterday I realized again, with quiet surprise and some
       relief, that I never NEVER know exactly what another
      person means. Well, maybe not never, never, but you
      know, rarely. And even if I think I know, I might be
      wrong, or projecting or identifying in just another way
      with myself. So it must not be necessary to know if one
      knows what another means. The relief came from realizing
       that I don't need to "know" with certainty what another
       person means. I need only to attend. Words can so
      mislead...yet they are what we have to work with...but
      only a part of what we have to work with.

      For myself, the words that come out of my mouth or my
      pen, rarely reflect what is exactly in my heart. I
      assume that is true for others also. Right speech for me
       is staying tuned to my authentic experience and
      allowing  that to arise in speech, hopefully in a simple
      way. Or  tucking it away in silence if that seems more
      consistent  with the wholeness of my experience of that
      moment.......I find that when I do this....I am
      satisfied with whatever level of "understanding" the
      other person shows or doesn't show to what I am
      saying...and that I remain more open to the gaps in
      their words, their body language and subtle
      communication cues that help me to better understand (I
      think) what lies in their heart.

      I also find when I do this...a curious opening and
      lightness in my heart and boyuancy in my acceptance of
      the world.

      Of course, some days I don't do this at all...and I just
       prattle on and blunder through the universe thinking I
      understand when I don't and feeling clueless when I'm
      actually absolutely clear. And so it goes. :)

      Nina, I think it was you, gently challenged me to think
      about the time referencing of some statements I made.
      This was a couple of weeks ago and it had to do with the
       language of "getting there," "journeying," etc.

      What are we to do with time? How to discuss this
      process, this finding the rabbit, without referencing
      those aspects of time that suggest Now I have it, Now I
      don't, even though I always Have It, I'm not always
      aware I have it....yada, yada.....and then maybe a
      Shift.

      You are so right, Nina...the time thing can lead us to
      language that distorts the authentic topogrophy of the
      process that allows us to come nearer and nearer to our
      own hearts, and nearer and nearer to One, which is
      timelessness itself.

      I am thinking that a very simple way to describe the
      process and the result (an inference here, since I do
      not claim enlightenment)....awareness, awakening,
      enlightenment, is as a simple shift in our perception of
       and orientation towards time.

      Peace, Kristi