Sunday, June 30, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2002
      #1120  -  Sunday, June 30, 2002   -  Home: <http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm>

      An online book of poetry on Advaita:

      Dear List,
      This site has as much to do with hearing people share
      who they are, as it does why the poem speaks to them.
      Whether you care much for poetry in general is almost
      irrelevant, some of these people say they don't either.
      Yet "this poem" they may carry always in their pocket...
      You can "hear" that emotional connection and perhaps the
      poem too comes alive in a surprising way. Anyway, I keep
      going back to hear a few more, and have selected some
      particularly moving ones.

      from the website:
      Robert Pinsky, the 39th Poet Laureate
      of the United States, believes that poetry is a vocal
      art, an art meant to be read aloud. "If a poem is
      written well," he says, "it was written with the poet's
      voice and for a voice. Reading a poem silently instead
      of saying a poem is like the difference between staring
      at sheet music and actually humming or playing the music
      on an instrument."

      In his over thirty years of teaching, Robert Pinsky has
      emphasized the bodily, vocal experience of the art of
      poetry. Pinsky, a professor of English and creative
      writing at Boston University, long ago found that when
      he asks students to read aloud and talk about a poem
      they love something remarkable happens—something in
      their faces and voices that demonstrates a profound
      personal connection to the poem. The Favorite Poem
      Project has grown out of that discovery.

      http://www.favoritepoem.org/archive/ entire list of 50
      short videos

      http://www.favoritepoem.org/archive/scherr.html -
      Alexander Scherr, Professor of Law - At the Fishhouses
      by Elizabeth Bishop

      http://www.favoritepoem.org/archive/doherty.html - John
      Doherty, construction worker - from Song of Myself by

      http://www.favoritepoem.org/archive/vanfields.html -
      William Van Fields, retired - My Papa's Waltz by
      Theodore Roethke

      http://www.favoritepoem.org/archive/liang.html - Yina
      Liang, teenage student - I'm Nobody by Emily Dickinson

      from Petros Truth list

      What surrender means is that one learns to open oneself
      more deeply to the universe, to the world; and that one
      suspends ones fears and doubts and resistances to what
      'IS.' Gradually one becomes more and more a channel for
      the forces of the cosmos, and for the teaching which
      expresses those forces in human terms.

      from Dr. Hawkins Group:

      Inspirational Quotes for 'Active' Mentation

      Remember wherever you are in space and time you are
      always in The Work and The Work will always act on you
      according to how you work. It is nothing to do with
      anybody or anything or whether you are blamed or not.
      Everybody is somewhere in this invisible school and only
      where that person can be. No matter how much you feel
      you deserve reward or have suffered from The Work or
      done your best and all the rest of it - you are
      invisibly just where you are in The Work. After a time
      you begin to understand this.

      Maurice Nicoll

      Well put. Reminds of the chorus from one of my favorite
      songs by John  Stewart: "All you really had to pay was
      the price of the fire."

      Driving in the pick-up with Ananda seated between us,
      she spontaneously leaned over to plant a kiss on my

      Smiling, I watched her do the same to her father.

      The best part, though, was the grin between her dad and
      me after seeing her plant one last kiss....on herself!

      There were no words.