Highlights from Sat., Sept. 18

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 1999
      Rob Rabbin joined the Salon, and these are selections from
      the introduction of his book, Mentored in Silence:

      "This book is a collection of sutras. Sutras are aphoristic
      depth charges, terse statements lobbed into the psyche where
      they silently explode and cause all conventional knowledge
      to implode, leaving a quake-pulsing-shimmering aftermath of
      uncontrollable freedom and spontaneity."

      "I name the freedom and spontaneity of the mystery of
      existence 'meditation'.

      "In this book, meditation does not refer to a practice,
      technique, or path; it does not refer to a means; it does
      not refer to an imagined end or idealized state of
      consciousness. It does not imply even a trillionth of a
      millimeter of movement from here to there."

      "Meditation is the very fact of life, so immense that only
      silence can approach."

      A lot of fun and excellent humor was featured on the Salon
      today, and I post only one piece, contributed by Jan:

      From an unknown source: The GirlFriend Software, Version 2.0

      I'm currently running the latest version of GirlFriend and
      I've been having some problems lately. I've been running
      the same version of DrinkingBuddies 1.0 forever as my
      primary application, and all the GirlFriend releases I've
      tried have always conflicted with it. I hear that
      DrinkingBuddies won't crash if GirlFriend is run in
      background mode and the sound is turned off. But I'm
      embarrassed to say I can't find the switch to turn the sound
      off. I just run them separately, and it works okay.
      Girlfriend also seems to have a problem coexisting with my
      Golf program, often trying to abort Golf with some sort of
      timing incompatibility.

      I probably should have stayed with GirlFriend 1.0, but I
      thought I might see better performance from GirlFriend 2.0.
      After months of conflicts and other problems, I consulted a
      friend who has had experience with GirlFriend 2.0. He said
      I probably didn't have enough cache to run GirlFriend 2.0,
      and eventually it would require a Token Ring to run
      properly. He was right - as soon as I purged my cache, it
      uninstalled itself.

      Shortly after that, I installed GirlFriend 3.0 beta. All
      the bugs were supposed to be gone, but the first time I used
      it, it gave me a virus anyway. I had to clean out my whole
      system and shut down for a while.

      I very cautiously upgraded to GirlFriend 4.0. This time I
      used a SCSI probe first and also installed a virus
      protection program. It worked okay for a while until I
      discovered that GirlFriend 1.0 was still in my system. I
      tried running GirlFriend 1.0 again with GirlFriend 4.0 still
      installed, but GirlFriend 4.0 has a feature I didn't know
      about that automatically senses the presence of any other
      version of GirlFriend and communicates with it in some way,
      which results in the immediate removal of both versions.

      The version I have now works pretty well, but there are
      still some problems. Like all versions of GirlFriend, it is
      written in some obscure language I can't understand, much
      less reprogram. Frankly I think there is too much attention
      paid to the look and feel rather than the desired
      functionality. Also, to get the best connections with your
      hardware, you usually have to use gold-plated contacts. And
      I've never liked how GirlFriend is totally
      "object-oriented."

      A year ago, a friend of mine upgraded his version of
      GirlFriend to GirlFriendPlus 1.0, which is a Terminate and
      Stay Resident version of GirlFriend. He discovered that
      GirlFriendPlus 1.0 expires within a year if you don't
      upgrade to Fiancee 1.0. So he did, but soon after that, he
      had to upgrade to Wife 1.0, which he describes as a huge
      resource hog. It has taken up all his space, so he can't
      load anything else. One of the primary reasons he decided
      to go with Wife
      1.0 was because it came bundled with FreeSexPlus.

      Well, it turns out the resource allocation module of Wife
      1.0 sometimes prohibits access to FreeSexPlus, particularly
      the new Plug-Ins he wanted to try. On top of that, Wife 1.0
      must be running on a well warmed-up system before he can do
      anything. Although he did not ask for it, Wife 1.0 came
      with MotherInLaw which has an automatic pop-up feature he
      can't turn off.

      I told him to try installing Mistress 1.0, but he said he
      heard if you try to run it without first uninstalling Wife
      1.0, Wife 1.0 will delete MSMoney files before doing the
      uninstall itself. Then Mistress 1.0 won't install anyway
      because of insufficient resources.

      Here's Melody, writing what seems like a country song in the
      crude:

      I was speaking to the 'predictability' of people's
      postings.....even amongst those who say they live
      'spontaneously'. :-)

      I'm speaking from a space of being sick of reading the same
      old posts over and over again, and yet wondering why in the
      hell do I keep reading them? :-)))

      I'm speaking from a space where I feel as though I'm wearing
      12 layers of coats, and yet haven't the slightest motivation
      to try taking them off, even though I'm sweating bullets.

      In other words, Kristi, 'never mind'. :-)

      Here are two dazzling starts who form their own
      constellation:

      I have decided, in explanation of your absolutely delightful
      sense of humor, perceptions and style, that you must have
      fully integrated left and right brain function....those
      synpases just keep poppin' everywhere...and boy are we lucky
      to be within range of their snap and crackle...and such
      gentle, gentleness...I've said it before, pale face, but, I
      love you.

      Love, Kristi

      hi kristi, it's all done with mirrors! i *have* no brain, i
      don't think. oh well. i have been laughing since birth. i
      actually went through a phase in college where i tried to be
      morose-- people thought that was funny too. when i was
      defending my master's thesis, one professor looked over his
      regulation english prof glasses and quipped:"and just what
      is a young thing like you going to *do* with our master's
      degree!" (a bit patronizing, eh? :) i told him and the
      thesis committee: "er, i dunno. i think i'll go back to
      workin' my corner. . ."

      i have my very dreadful serious moments--- somewhat akin to
      the valley of the shadow of death, and all that. but things
      do not strike me as dead-serious-permanent at all. like the
      wind that passes and messes up your hair, but the house
      doesn't fall down. and if it does, there's always the
      yard. i have thrown up my arms in the air, and said,
      "whatever! and what's it all about, alfie? " sort of like
      saying, "oh god, why have you forsaken me?" and receiving
      the answer in punchline form. yes, god has a rubber
      chicken. i don't even see this as optimism. i've been able
      to keep things lite as i cared for friends with aids, and
      for my family. that has been grace using me, big time. and
      dare i reveal one of my biggest secrets:
      i feel peace.

      but you know how some people are said to have been "raised
      by wolves?" i was raised by poets. mama would wake me
      every morning speaking a different language to keep me on my
      toes. my dad, on his deathbed asked for a viking funeral,
      and was smiling through it all. i was lucky to have an
      exceptionally wonderful childhood.
      yes, we're aliens.

      & i love you , too, and am glad that we're both smiling--
      being smiled. . .
      love and blessings, aleks

      Two days ago, I was babysitting Leah, the five-year-old
      daughter of a friend. Leah and I are good pals. She was a
      little edgy that night, and at one point started to cry,
      wanting to know when her Mom would be back.

      Trying to console her, I stroked her hair and whispered as
      reassuringly as I could, "Leah, your Mom will be home in
      exactly one hour."

      Leah straightened up, stopped crying, looked me dead in the
      eyes, and asked, "When is an hour? Is that now?"

      --Rob

      This is a fragment of one of Rob's poems, from his book:

      Within the typhoon of meditation, there is no subject, no
      object no raincoat, no rain, no wind, no blown-apart
      buildings.
      Within meditation, there is nothing else, no other.

      Somehow, we've got to get used to this fact as the essential
      fact of life.

      To live life as a walking meditation....to move in the space
      of no object, no other, leaves room to see the canvases that
      others paint....the beauty and sheer majesty of every tree
      and every human being in their own right, in their own
      natures, unstained by my projections and associations.

      Love, Kristi

      Hello Salon:

      I had the good fortune to spend some time with Jean Klein, a
      truly beautiful human being. Sadly, he passed away a year
      ago. I wanted to share some of his wisdom, and so I offer
      the following two quotes from Mr. Klein.

      With highest regards,

      Rob

      "When you really see that what you are looking for is
      yourself, and when you find, after many years of looking
      down every path, trying all systems, all techniques, that
      you are what you are looking for, it is a tremendous
      revelation. Because when you really see it, you see that
      all these ways and experiences and techniques are only
      objects. You can find them but you can never find the
      subject, because the subject can never be objectified. You
      clearly understand that there is nowhere to go. This is a
      revolution in your life." - Jean Klein

      "The willful ego is only one aspect of the mind, and the
      mind cannot change itself. It can never bring about a
      change by analyzing and choosing, excusing, explaining,
      criticizing or concluding. Most of the time action is only
      reaction caused by fear, anxiety, and desire. These are
      aspects of a mind which works like a kaleidoscope that can
      only rearrange a fixed number of pieces, a mind sustained by
      the ego. When the ego is abandoned, there is only silent
      awareness, total presence. This silent presence frees us
      from the patterns fabricated by the ego, thus opening out
      before us a whole new world of energies." - Jean Klein

      Dear Gene and Glo and Tim and everybody inbetween:

      This is the point of non-dual perception....which is
      actually mono perception, the perception of goodness in all
      things. Cynicism and idealism are the same; hatred and
      attack are love disguised; methods of teaching and
      transmission change as the state of universal consciousness
      requires; without our consent or even awareness; resistance
      blocks awareness, but ultimately leads to awareness of the
      nature of resistance; dual perceptions lead to the search
      for non-dual experience, which leads to a state of awareness
      of the totality of goodness, which seeking for goodnes, per
      se, will not disclose,......Aiiiiieeee, there is a God, and
      He is Us and the process by which we seek to understand the
      lack of need to understand.

      Yatahe...and God saw what He had made and said...It is good!

      Love, Kristi

      Jerry wrote:
      We're together in a roller coaster car, screaming our way
      down a black hole leading to real dissolution.

      You know what I like about roller coasters?
      They start and finish at exactly the same spot.
      You don't really get anywhere, yet the ride is worth it!

      With love,

      Mira
      *Mirror*

      There was a time that I wouldn't miss a book about
      enlightenment, awakening, self realization. But from the
      moment awakening happened, I realized that I am the very
      subject of all those books.

      --Mira

      To the degree that we ever feel called upon to see the
      surface of a person...and not to look beyond the disguises
      that the ego places on the holiness or wholeness or
      perfection in each of us, we fall victim to the same
      processes that we criticize or take offense with. We are
      always looking in a mirror. Responses of fear or threat or
      anger or hurt always refer to the capcity within us to hold
      those reactions.....they do not refer to the state of mind
      of the other person...although we hold tight to the belief
      that we are responding to another's" inadequacies"...we are,
      in fact, only seeing our own.

      This is such a radical idea because it calls on us to accept
      total responsibility for our emotional states. It is the
      ultimate act of rejecting the notion of victimness...and in
      the process it rejects the idea of a perpetrator. Given our
      cultural disposition, dominator values, we hardly know how
      to act when the idea of a perpetrator is removed. And yet
      we do....and each instance that reveals the dominator within
      us, is just another step to realizing how little that role
      serves us.I think we have yet to work out the intricacies of
      how one responds to attack in another....in order to restore
      the vision of wholeness and the experience of peace.

      It is well to say, as Judi does, that it is all love...and
      it is....But, if we are honest, I think we will admit that,
      at different times, our response has been to guard,
      constrict, separate, or withdraw....in the face of certain
      threads and conflicts....constriction is always a precursor
      to attack...whether we articulate it or not, we carry it
      somewhere in our lives....it is constriction and separation
      that is the subject of these "lessons" or experiences....not
      the relative behavior of a given individual.
      We are free to respond any way we like, any way that comes
      naturally, but, I think, part of the process of healing, is
      the recognition that we are also free to recognize that the
      impulse to separate is a limitation on our own awareness and
      awakening. We are free to heal others as we heal
      ourselves....that healing occurs when we see beyond the form
      of criticism or judgement to the essence of the person who
      is asking to be loved...even as they may claim they need no
      such thing.

      The mind that is at peace and joyous in its own awakening
      will never see a need to attack or criticize or
      condemn....these are contrary to the nature of the awakened
      state of mind.....they do occur within the process of coming
      to that state as a permanent condition of
      consciousness...but when they occur, they are evidence of
      the ego mind....not the realized mind.

      Namaste Kristi

      As you recognize your own worth, so will others, and your
      life will be a blessing to all who come in contact with
      you. And they in turn will love you and bless you.

      Harsha

      I'll tell you another story about Fingal (who is kind of the
      same guy as Fintan). One day he was walking along through
      the woods. And he was hungry. He came to a pool on a
      river, and sitting on the riverbank was an old man sitting
      by a fire. He sat down and warmed himself by the fire and
      said to the old man "I'm hungry, have you got anything to
      eat."
      The old man said "No, but there's a salmon in this pool and
      I'll tell you how to catch it." So Fingal caught the salmon
      and the old man showed him how to roast it on the fire. And
      when it looked like it was done, Fingal poked it with his
      finger. And the moment his finger touched the salmon, he
      fell into a dream and all the knowledge in the world was
      revealed to him. Because the salmon was the salmon of
      knowledge, which had grown fat on the hazelnuts from the
      five hazelnut trees that grow in the very deepest part of
      the ocean, at the very root of the world. When he woke up
      from his dream, the old man was gone, so he ate the salmon
      and continued on his journey.

      andrew

      Here, let me put it to you guys another way, so as not to
      confuse you.
      If you even had the least little bitty inkling of how
      profound this non duality and this whole business of
      enlightenment, that we speak of here really is, you'd be
      shitting your pants. Chances are your mouth would drop open
      so far you couldnt' speak for a week, maybe never.

      I'm off to the symphony, Judi

      A tree is only a just a tree when we come to it devoid of
      previous experience. If, as a child, a tree fell on me, I
      would have a very different perception of trees than one for
      whom trees only ever provided shade or a climbing place.
      When I look at a tree, I don't see a tree, I see an idea
      about a tree that my life experience has taught me.
      Awakening confers the capacity to see the "tree" devoid of
      personal associations...and the tree is "good." A clear mind
      allows us to travel in Plato's world of ideal form.....and
      so it is with people. Our minds become clouded with our
      perceptions of a person, based on our past experience which
      is also the product of perceptions, not truth. If we are to
      see a tree clearly or a human being clearly, we are given
      the power to come to each encounter clear and open...without
      expectation or association.., this is love,..without the
      past standing as a guard to cast a threatening shadow on the
      present experience. This is what it means for there to be
      no here or there or then or now....it is to move into the
      resonant experience of beingness that is timeless and not
      bound by perception....this is open to anyone at anytime
      regardless of the event, place, thing, or person with which
      one comes into relation. It does not require that the
      "other" has the capacity to do this.....

      --Kristi